Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

They hit harder than red mages later on and Ninjas get access to FAST.

Really though there's no reason to use them unless you want to be able to run from battles more consistently. Knight hits harder, Redmage makes up for weaker melee with useful magic, and black belt is just king of dps mountain.

Ninja learns Haste and Temper which is all you really need for Black Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I always picked a thief because when you’re ten years old, ninjas are cool action.

So I know it’s the same as the mobile port, but I just got the Switch version of the best PlayStation FF, number IX, and good god ya’ll. The fast forward function is a godsend for Chocobo Hot and Cold. I just scored all 9 chocographs from the first forest in about a half hour.

It felt really good.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!

NikkolasKing posted:

I have known people who think Squall is a great protagonist

Here i am! I was a very shy kid and i could relate with Squall a lot.
FFVIII was finally a game where the protagonist had real hosed up problems interacting with others and i loved every minute of it; i can easily see why 90% of the people couldn't stand it tho.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DrakeD posted:

Here i am! I was a very shy kid and i could relate with Squall a lot.
FFVIII was finally a game where the protagonist had real hosed up problems interacting with others and i loved every minute of it; i can easily see why 90% of the people couldn't stand it tho.

this 100% makes the Shinji Ikari comparison work for me

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i was a shy kid but even when i was twelve i thought squall was a loser

the problem with him is that he isn't supposed to be shy or reserved. tetsuya nomura clearly thinks squall is the coolest, baddest motherfucker to ever have walked the face of the earth

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!

The White Dragon posted:

Exactly what i'm talking about. He's actually a real gently caress up, elsewise more people would've liked him.
That probably doesn't mean he was written like that on purpose (probably not) but hey, it's the result i like.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I have known people who think Squall is a great protagonist, sort of the Shinji Ikari of Final Fantasy where he's hated for being emotional and vulnerable instead of a hardcore badass. I guess there's a tiny amount of merit to this idea as I have always maintained FFVIII had a lot of cool things in it but the execution is terrible. It's truly awful Squall and friends are child soldiers but the game isn't bold enough to commit to this.

Fans Online: They are trained to KILL! It's a very heavy and real piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSt-fNv5d68

They go to a loving high school, that's it. There's more drama about Zell not getting hotdogs than his angst about being a child soldier.

Squall has "real" problems I guess but his development is so hamfisted and you can't really relate to it. Tidus had real problems too with regards to his alcoholic and abusive father and a mother who didn't pay him enough attention. It's done better than this. And Cloud has a ton of depth in his own journey even if it is explicitly more fantastical. Wrapped up in all that stuff about Spirit Energy and alien cells was the story of a dorky, isolated kid who just wanted to be a hero and impress a girl.

I think the idea of Squall is that from everyone else's perspective he is a hardcore badass who's strong and brave and has a plan for every situation and is constantly going through hell to pull his friends asses out of the fire, but that the players are allowed to see the self-doubt and vulnerability he keeps bottled up inside. It'd work except for the fact that Squall's competence is more the supreme incompetence of everyone else in the setting and that every other bit of the story is full of bad writing and moronic plot twists.

I'd definitely recommend Cool Ghost's LP, even if I don't agree with his overall assessment of the game. It'd put it with Xenosaga in terms of games that aren't flawed masterpieces but trainwrecks that contain some masterwork fragments of train.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think the people who made the game probably didn't put half as much thought into any of the characters that people ITT have already done.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Squall looks like a real cool dude but he is extremely wack.

The fact that Laguna and his rad bros aren’t the main characters is the worst thing about VIII.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

A Sometimes Food posted:

This is all whyNoctis is the best FF protagonist.

I would die in real life for Noct.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The White Dragon posted:

the problem with him is that he isn't supposed to be shy or reserved. tetsuya nomura clearly thinks squall is the coolest, baddest motherfucker to ever have walked the face of the earth

This isn't true at all though. You see his internal monologue all over the place in FF8. He's absolutely faking it because he doesn't know what else to do.

Also Nomura didn't write or direct FF8 so beyond character design and I guess Squall's personality in Kingdom Hearts/Dissidia I'm not sure what he has to do with it.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 19, 2019

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Noct and the boys are seriously rad protagonists. I like FFXV, but I don’t know how much of that is main character based.

It’s a fun game, but it’s a strange mishmash of open world, RPG and action that doesn’t really do any of them super well, but the story and bros hold it together for me.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Nihilarian posted:

I've also been playing ff12

Palings suck

I didn't mind the palings, what got me was thinking "these quickening things seem dumb I'm not gonna waste LP unlocking them". I made it about 2/3 through the game wondering why I had so little MP

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Squall is a cool dude who is quiet and reserved because literally everyone around him is a moron. Even in his dreams.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Luso is a dude who found himself in a rad fantasy world and decided to do rad fantasy things.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ramza is the best FF protag, spin-off designation be damned

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

TheHoosier posted:

Ramza is the best FF protag, spin-off designation be damned

100%. Traitor to his class. Ramza is the motherfucking dude.

Edit: But also i haven't played that many games :(. Just all the tactics and the mainline post 10. I'm currently playing IX for the first time.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 19, 2019

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The White Dragon posted:

You can hate the game without making stuff up

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

Squall is a cool dude who is quiet and reserved because literally everyone around him is a moron. Even in his dreams.

everyone around him is a genuinely good guy. squall is a huge dick to them for no reason. and it's like, i have to play as this guy? zell is right there and he even has a stronger limit break

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Who would you rather play as, the girl who can shoot her dog at people or the guy who can trigger the gun on his blade to deal more damage I think the answer is clear

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ban guns.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Zell, even with his Mike Tyson face tattoo and love of hotdogs, would have been a better choice than Squall's sorry rear end

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TheHoosier posted:

Zell, even with his Mike Tyson face tattoo and love of hotdogs, would have been a better choice than Squall's sorry rear end

it's henna ok

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Marche is the mentally healthiest protagonist in the series, and he's 12 years old.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Marche is the mentally healthiest protagonist in the series, and he's 12 years old.

I would imagine most people in general are mentally better off at 12 compared to when the realities and problems of adulthood come knocking.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

There was no reason everyone in the game world was tripping over themselves to fellate Squall about how great he was. He's more like a bully who is mean-spirited because of his own low self-esteem than he was a "shy, vulnerable" teenager. And he was only as competent as he was at everything because of Protagonist Syndrome. Man that story was bad on so many levels.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nah

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Dr Pepper posted:

Ninja learns Haste and Temper which is all you really need for Black Magic.

TMPR is bugged in the original version and does nothing and you won’t get FAST on a ninja until very late in the game.

I haven’t played any of the remakes and the last time I played the original was 15 years ago, but I think black magic is really good and important. Healing is very limited and there are plenty of random encounters that can be worse than bosses. A party member capable of clearing the field of dangerous enemies quickly brings a lot to your party. Even with the best armor, a knight is still vulnerable to status effects and spells and can only kill one enemy at a time.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

TMPR is bugged in the original version and does nothing and you won’t get FAST on a ninja until very late in the game.

I haven’t played any of the remakes and the last time I played the original was 15 years ago, but I think black magic is really good and important. Healing is very limited and there are plenty of random encounters that can be worse than bosses. A party member capable of clearing the field of dangerous enemies quickly brings a lot to your party. Even with the best armor, a knight is still vulnerable to status effects and spells and can only kill one enemy at a time.

Black Magic is good, but Black Mages are bad because they're prone to becoming bloody splatters when looked at funny up until the Dawn of Souls release.

Thankfully, Intelligence is bugged in the original release of FF too, so you can just bring a Red Mage instead and lose almost nothing.

(To be fair, Fighters and Red Mages were the 'good' classes in the original FF. The other four were all varying shades of bad. Thief was useless until upgrade and even then was still just Fighter-lite, Black Belt didn't do dick unless you overleveled since FF is entirely beatable in the early 20s with any of the five other classes, White Mages are barely a character slot 90% of the time which doesn't justify the 10% they're useful for, and Black Mages have the aforementioned 'splat' problem where many, many normal enemies can one-shot an Black Mage of respectable level for the area.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

There was no reason everyone in the game world was tripping over themselves to fellate Squall about how great he was. He's more like a bully who is mean-spirited because of his own low self-esteem than he was a "shy, vulnerable" teenager. And he was only as competent as he was at everything because of Protagonist Syndrome. Man that story was bad on so many levels.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't remember much of FFVIII but I do Rembert extremely strongly that Squall looked absolutely loving incredible in promo art and they gave him a fur collar which was already my thing at the time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is FFXV anyone else's favourite just by the way? I loved the game warts and all when it came out and I've just replayed it with all the episodes. It's 100% my favourite ahead of 6, 7 and 9 now.

I don't know if this is controversial or if people have warmed to these lovely boys.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

JBP posted:

Is FFXV anyone else's favourite just by the way? I loved the game warts and all when it came out and I've just replayed it with all the episodes. It's 100% my favourite ahead of 6, 7 and 9 now.

I don't know if this is controversial or if people have warmed to these lovely boys.

I'm not sure it's necessarily my favorite, but they really did a great job with the main four.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh no, not protagonist syndrome, whatever will we do.

Hey can you use the words god gave you instead of expecting me to know what tvtropes bullshit you're on about

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

JBP posted:

Between it and 7 for me. Noct and Ardyn are my favourite hero and villain in FF though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I quite like it but the narrative drops so many balls all over the place and combat is merely fine. Its good enough im all aboard for FFXVI.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Barudak posted:

I quite like it but the narrative drops so many balls all over the place and combat is merely fine. Its good enough im all aboard for FFXVI.

I agree. I will say though that I was impressed playing it with the extra content on Ng+. The narrative structure is pretty good when you aren't off doing twenty hours of side stuff and just play through the story.

I do wish there was more magic, but the combat (in a field or open space obviously) is fun and looks great. I can't think of many more joyful JRPG moves than Ignis' suite of boy band poses or Gladio's shield one. Regroup never fails to make me crack a smile.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Barudak posted:

Its good enough im all aboard for FFXVI.

Who do they have to work on 16 anyway? The guy who salvaged 15 is gone, and there's no way they'd have Nomura helm two projects simultaneously yet again...

...They're totally going to have Nomura work on both FF7R and FF16, aren't they.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mr. Locke posted:

Black Magic is good, but Black Mages are bad because they're prone to becoming bloody splatters when looked at funny up until the Dawn of Souls release.

Thankfully, Intelligence is bugged in the original release of FF too, so you can just bring a Red Mage instead and lose almost nothing.

(To be fair, Fighters and Red Mages were the 'good' classes in the original FF. The other four were all varying shades of bad. Thief was useless until upgrade and even then was still just Fighter-lite, Black Belt didn't do dick unless you overleveled since FF is entirely beatable in the early 20s with any of the five other classes, White Mages are barely a character slot 90% of the time which doesn't justify the 10% they're useful for, and Black Mages have the aforementioned 'splat' problem where many, many normal enemies can one-shot an Black Mage of respectable level for the area.

LOL no. Black mages are fine.

FF15 isn't my favorite but it exceeded my expectations despite not actually being a finished game. The DLC was good. I'm still salty we're not getting Aranea DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

Who do they have to work on 16 anyway? The guy who salvaged 15 is gone, and there's no way they'd have Nomura helm two projects simultaneously yet again...

...They're totally going to have Nomura work on both FF7R and FF16, aren't they.

That and all the other poo poo they put him on. Dude wasn't working on 2 projects at the same time during VS13 he was working on like 4 games a year during that era.

SE spreadin their upper creative staff thin as paste.