Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure there would have been some forewarning. Which particular massacre of Italian by Germans are you talking about?

Probabaly talking about the Cephalonia Massacre, where, after Italian troops on Cephelonia resisted the First Mountain Division's attempt to disarm them, most of the Italians taken prisoner were executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Befehl Sechsundsechzig...

What do you mean by "reinstating" here and why would that cause the German solders to kill Italian allies

Mussolini was deposed so Hitler triex to have him reinstated.

As for German/Italian aggression.... therr were a few orders to disarm Italian troops stationed throughout Axis controlled territory. Refusal to continue fighting the allies meant they had to surrender. On some occasions the Germans prefer corpses over PoWs.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Didn't know any other thread to post this in off the top of my head.

Anyway, loving nazis.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure there would have been some forewarning. Which particular massacre of Italian by Germans are you talking about?

I was thinking of The Massacre of Kefalonia. Turns out my memories were a bit faulty, though: The Italian soldiers in question had surrendered to the Germans, they weren't allies sitting next to each other. The German 1st Alpin Division slaughtered about 5200 soldiers of the Italian division "Acqui".

Edit:

Also, the entire story was a lot more complicated then I remembered: There were violent clashes during the negotiations for the surrender, and after the Italian division surrendered, the Italian General Gandin asked his troops if they wanted to fight the Germans. They wanted to, as it turns out. So General Gandin send a rather confusing message back to the German Oberstleutnant Barge, in which Gandin told his German counterpart that his division didn't agree with the surrender, but promised not to fight the Germans. They also promised to give up their heavy weapons, but wanted to stay at their posts.

The German answer was to assault the Italian positions with Stukas, followed by landings of reinforcements and overrunning the Italians. Meanwhile, Oberstleutnant Barge got the boot by General Hubert Lanz, commander of the German reinforcements.

During the fighting, about 1300 Italians and 40 Germans became casualties. Afterwards, the OKW ordered to reward the traitorous Italian behavior (that was a literal quote from the OKW) with bullets. The German forces then started massacring the surrendering Italians everywhere on Kefalonia. Including officers. Even General Gandin was murdered.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Randarkman posted:

Didn't know any other thread to post this in off the top of my head.

Anyway, loving nazis.

What are we looking at here? Some WWII game?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

In general the Germans were particularly ruthless and brutal towards Italy after they surrendered in 1943. Don't think they got quite that barbaric anywhere else on the Western Front.

Epicurius posted:

Yes. Company of Heroes 2. It's more the name of one of the German players, loving Christ.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Epicurius posted:

Looks like the load screen for the Battle of Berlin, 1945 (colorized)

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I suspect it has more to do with the Italian government declaring war on Germany than Mussolini himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sounds like they need a better military history program as Gettysburg University (this guy was a trustee)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I read that as "I was 20 years old and too busy partying to give any thought to whether someone might think this was in bad taste."

It's good to shame people who did this stuff, to a degree, if only to send the message to today's college kids that blackface, Nazi uniforms, and Confederate gear are not acceptable. On the other hand, I think the people who did this stuff way back when deserve the opportunity to say, "Hey, I was young and dumb, but I can point to concrete things I have done as an adult that show that I am not some jackass bigot, so I have no intention of quitting my job."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't want to get into all that I just thought it was funny that a guy who went to Gettysburg College was claiming ignorance about milhist related matters.

Here's the pic, did only SS guys wear the Nazi armband or did all Wehrmacht guys wear one from time to time. Looking up Hogan's Heroes the only character that ever seems to be wearing one is a recurring Gestapo colonel.

Looking into it even more, seems like the dudes who played Klink and Schultz emphatically believed that their characters were not Nazis but rather reflected Good Germans

Which, yeah we know isn't true now but I'll cut the Jewish guy who lost family in the Holocaust some slack

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 19, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I mean asking about the authenticity of specific aspects of those uniforms is about like inquiring if the fifteen missiles and :krad: laser i drew on the f16/a10 hybrid in my 4th grade trapper keeper is an authorized NATO loadout.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean asking about the authenticity of specific aspects of those uniforms is about like inquiring if the fifteen missiles and :krad: laser i drew on the f16/a10 hybrid in my 4th grade trapper keeper is an authorized NATO loadout.

Honestly I would have gotten an A in robot drawing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I would like to award you this DARPA fellowship

e: JESUS CHRIST
https://twitter.com/zoeschlanger/status/1097910888663793665

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hey, I did a few public-battle reenactment events in the early 2000s where I wore Soviet and / or German uniforms, so no political/entertainment career for me.

No, at no point did I wear a Nazi armband, but I did wear a "naughty German helmet."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

Hey, I did a few public-battle reenactment events in the early 2000s where I wore Soviet and / or German uniforms, so no political/entertainment career for me.

No, at no point did I wear a Nazi armband, but I did wear a "naughty German helmet."

The dickelhaube

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

Here's the pic, did only SS guys wear the Nazi armband or did all Wehrmacht guys wear one from time to time.

Wehrmacht pretty much never wore arm bands. They did have swastikas on their uniform - there's one on their belt buckle, there's one on the eagle on their chest, and there are others on awards and such.

SS - well, Waffen SS (the military arm of the SS) wore pretty much the same uniform as the Wehrmacht with a few differences. The cut of the uniform was often slightly different, the insignia was different, and they often wore distinctive camouflage smocks and helmet covers with a different camouflage pattern/colors from the ones the Wehrmacht wore.

Allgemaine SS - broadly speaking the party hacks who made sure the trains went to the camps on time - wore armbands on their pre-war black uniforms. Early in the war they switched to uniforms that looked more like regular army uniforms and stopped wearing armbands.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

they look a little disreputable to people not used to the light cav lifestyle, racism. They end up getting blamed for things in a lot of atrocity accounts and I never know how true any of it is because of the racism

Interesting, thanks. Does this also lead to them getting lower pay? Also, are there any other interesting stereotypes?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Elyv posted:

Interesting, thanks. Does this also lead to them getting lower pay? Also, are there any other interesting stereotypes?
I don't know. The people called "Imperial Croats" (I don't think they were all Serbo-croatian people, I think this means everyone who came from the southeast of Europe and worked for the Empire) were recruited differently because of something having to do with their social structures, and I don't know much about that.

Stereotypes: Germans can endure harsh conditions, Italians get deserty when the weather gets cold, Bavarians get deserty if you leave Bavaria, the Corsicans are too vicious to make good soldiers, the French are savage on the attack but can easily be baited into doing something rash (the "furia franceze"). My favorite stereotype is that the Welsh are especially dexterous so if you need someone to weave branches for a gabion you should try to find one. I mean, it's racist, but it's so far removed from our context that it's just old-timey and not...you know, mean.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 19, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cessna posted:

Your future depends on this dweeb. If he survives then so will you.

You should visit Auschwitz though

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

I don't know. The people called "Imperial Croats" (I don't think they were all Serbo-croatian people, I think this means everyone who came from the southeast of Europe and worked for the Empire) were recruited differently because of something having to do with their social structures, and I don't know much about that.

Stereotypes: Germans can endure harsh conditions, Italians get deserty when the weather gets cold, Bavarians get deserty if you leave Bavaria, the Corsicans are too vicious to make good soldiers, the French are savage on the attack but can easily be baited into doing something rash (the "furia franceze"). My favorite stereotype is that the Welsh are especially dexterous so if you need someone to weave branches for a gabion you should try to find one. I mean, it's racist, but it's so far removed from our context that it's just old-timey and not...you know, mean.

Please do list all stereotypes and sub stereotypes you have come across, there must be a load of them just about the 5 billion shades of Germans that were present. Stuff like Saxons can't hit the side of a barn with their guns etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HEY GUNS posted:

yes! in forests or mountainous ground, before the main advance, or when fighting in cities.

were they specialized troops? or like handpicked guys from the ranks of I assume the musketeers? pikes seem anathema to open order, how did that poo poo work?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GUNS posted:

the Corsicans are too vicious to make good soldiers, the French are savage on the attack but can easily be baited into doing something rash (the "furia franceze").

Napoleon would have confused the hell out of them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GUNS posted:

French are savage on the attack but can easily be baited into doing something rash (the "furia franceze").

“Elan” is the preferred nomenclature

Or cran, I get the two confused

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I like to think Cran is the eleven volume dial for Elan.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

So is weaving a basket while making suggestive eyebrows at the camp followers the 16th century welsh version of tying a cherry stem into a knot with your tongue?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Furia Franceze, by Estée Lauder.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I guess that finally explains how the live animal exhibit became the taxidermy exhibit one night.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it's just biology, Welsh fingers obviously have an extra gabion-weaving muscle. you're all the real racists

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Zudgemud posted:

Please do list all stereotypes and sub stereotypes you have come across, there must be a load of them just about the 5 billion shades of Germans that were present. Stuff like Saxons can't hit the side of a barn with their guns etc.
that's all the ones i remember, a german could probably come up with some more.
I know that since at least Frederick the Great's wars the usual line was that saxons weren't very good at war, but this one is true

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

were they specialized troops? or like handpicked guys from the ranks of I assume the musketeers? pikes seem anathema to open order, how did that poo poo work?
picked musketeers, i think. and that's why this is in forests or mountains or broken ground--the cover is your pikeman, as it were

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

for some reason the discussion of racisms and that mention of anti balkan poo poo reminded me of reading King Umberto II's wiki, where the people who hated how much awesome gay sex he had seemed to blame it on his mom being from the Balkans. they didn't even say which part

not only was he a 'balkan playboy', he was also 'oriental' in his decadence because I guess Asia begins at the Adriatic

also I ran into italo balbo, apparently everyone's favorite fascist. in 1933 he led a world tour of Italian aviators and became an American celebrity. he got on the cover of Time and had a street in Chicago named after him that they still can't get people to rename, presumably because nobody remembers him. when the war started he was basically immediately shot down in a transport plane by Italian AA lol

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

oystertoadfish posted:

for some reason the discussion of racisms and that mention of anti balkan poo poo reminded me of reading King Umberto II's wiki, where the people who hated how much awesome gay sex he had seemed to blame it on his mom being from the Balkans. they didn't even say which part

not only was he a 'balkan playboy', he was also 'oriental' in his decadence because I guess Asia begins at the Adriatic

also I ran into italo balbo, apparently everyone's favorite fascist. in 1933 he led a world tour of Italian aviators and became an American celebrity. he got on the cover of Time and had a street in Chicago named after him that they still can't get people to rename, presumably because nobody remembers him. when the war started he was basically immediately shot down in a transport plane by Italian AA lol

IIRC "oriental sexual decadence" is coded very gay in old timey racism.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

IIRC "oriental sexual decadence" is coded very gay in old timey racism.

racisms of the past

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

racisms of the [s]past[/] present

In my experience the stereotype has mutated to the present as "hypersexual dragon ladies/demure waifus (depends on the individual)" than code for being gay, I hear it a lot from people who are excited to deploy to Japan for gross reasons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

oystertoadfish posted:

it's just biology, Welsh fingers obviously have an extra gabion-weaving muscle. you're all the real racists

Es ist ein Kompliment!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

oystertoadfish posted:

Montenegro. She was the daughter of the last King of independent Montenegro.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cessna posted:

As I've said about video games before (mostly WW2OL), somebody has to play the bad guys. In the taking your turn sense, not the "fanatically collects memorabilia" sense.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks! apparently the royal family of montenegro has had a crazy last 300 years. it was a theocracy where uncle handed the throne down to nephew from 1696 to 1852, when one of em got married. they married well but got swallowed by yugoslavia in 1918. now they all live in france, apparently

Petrović-Njegoš dynasty (wiki)

in general, the post-relevance nobility occupy a lot of wikipedia space. they almost never actually do anything but there usually seems to be a shitload of money in their lives

like i guess umberto's son is still around and was an arms dealer and arrested for but acquitted of something involving prostitution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittorio_Emanuele,_Prince_of_Naples

naturally there's a guy who disputes his claim to the kingdom of italy, and apparently he's the son of a croatian fascist puppet king from ww2???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Amedeo,_Duke_of_Aosta_(b._1943)

oh his dad was a house of savoy member who bizarrely got designated Tomislav II from 1941 to 1943 to legitimize the ustase (i had never heard of that) but never went there, luckily for him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Aimone,_Duke_of_Aosta

quote:

Ciano's diary noted a conversation between Aimone and himself, where Aimone was "proud of having been chosen King of Croatia, but has no exact idea of what he is supposed to do and is vaguely uneasy about it"

i never actually said that umberto ii was the last king of italy, btw. his dad was a fascist collaborator so he stepped down to try to help win a referendum on the monarchy but the monarchy was abolished anyway. they even banned the house of savoy i think just the duke of savoy (or maybe it was just umberto?) from stepping foot in italy until 2002. there are two feuding heirs to the throne, just like the carlists and all of 'em except, to me, even more pathetic

it's interesting how the north voted very republican and the south voted very monarchist, which both lines up with the cultural divisions in the country afaik. someone mentioned it in the context of the german occupation of italy, either here or in LP, and attributed the north/south division to the german occupation - i bet they're both true. maybe if the occupation hadn't happened they'd still have a king like most of the rest of em

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946_Italian_institutional_referendum

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 20, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

mllaneza posted:

As I've said about video games before (mostly WW2OL), somebody has to play the bad guys. In the taking your turn sense, not the "fanatically collects memorabilia" sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq8RnAfCFwk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

mllaneza posted:

With videogames you could probably program things so that in a multiplayer game each player plays the Allies and then the enemy is rendered as the Axis.

Of course, that's if you don't wanna make asymmetrical mechanics for the sides, and these days the big thing in multiplayer shooters is character customization anyways.