Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

logikv9 posted:

if sweet mask killed them, they must've deserved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Hypocrisy posted:

I appreciate how genuine Sweet Mask is about his standards for heroing.

I think he's the polar opposite of Garo in his standards for hero judgement. Garo is just so gad dang Lawful Good that he has contempt for heroes that aren't the absolute epitome of goodness. (he even has sympathy for monsters, that's what a good boy Garo is). Sweet Mask, by contrast, has contempt for heroes that cling to some vestige of goodness when they could be murdering the absolute poo poo out of everything.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

I think he's the polar opposite of Garo in his standards for hero judgement. Garo is just so gad dang Lawful Good that he has contempt for heroes that aren't the absolute epitome of goodness. (he even has sympathy for monsters, that's what a good boy Garo is). Sweet Mask, by contrast, has contempt for heroes that cling to some vestige of goodness when they could be murdering the absolute poo poo out of everything.

Garo is a monster tho

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The perfect end for Sweet Mask to be killed by Monster Garo.

That popular boy that played the hero when Garo was a kid will turn out to be Sweet Mask

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hypocrisy posted:

I appreciate how genuine Sweet Mask is about his standards for heroing.

Nah he's just like a psycho trying not to get caught

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Radish posted:

The perfect end for Sweet Mask to be killed by Monster Garo.

You mean 'Monster Sweet Mask' and 'The only REAL hero, Garou' of course.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

This is what I'm going off of too. All the mercenaries don't have helmets, Sweet Mask has gloves and considering what the capability of the Hero Association's weaponsmithing abilities are I just assumed they were good gloves.

Also there's the standard explanation of 'Too strong to work on him' Like that Psychic alien trying to crush Saitama.

What? No, y'all are overthinking this way too hard.

It didnt work on Sweet Mask because he's a hot dude. That's the joke.

Not just any hot dude, he''s the hot dude.

Of course a BDSM monster babe's whip powers aren't gonna work on him when she had a crush on him cause that's what makes it funny.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

graham cracker posted:

You mean 'Monster Sweet Mask' and 'The only REAL hero, Garou' of course.

Garou considers himself a monster so I respect his wishes despite him being the true hero.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Radish posted:

Garou considers himself a monster so I respect his wishes despite him being the true hero.

I reluctantly agree with this thought process.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Terror Sweat posted:

Garo is a monster tho

he's a good monster

the goodest

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Garou is a lovely half-assed Monster. Can't even kill a dude.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Radish posted:

He's a type of hero, but true hero is kind of stretching it when his ultimate goal was a world that humans couldn't survive in.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Maxwell Adams posted:

Sweet Mask is extremely Lawful Evil

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Garou talks a lot of poo poo but I think he's a good boy deep down

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

Garou talks a lot of poo poo but I think he's a good boy deep down

This is the truth. For all his monster talk he hasn't killed any people, even those attacking him, which is more than Sweet Mask can say.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He's a really good boy who likes to assault and hospitalize people

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

He's everything we wish we could be

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Zzulu posted:

He's a really good boy who likes to assault and hospitalize people

So is Saitama, really (when people attack him)

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Garou is a monster, therefore everything he does is monstrous. Sweet Mask is a hero and therefore all his actions are heroic.

As such Garou saving that kid was a monstrous act, and evil. Sweet Mask killing a bunch of dudes was a heroic act, so it was good and just.

We should all be cheering for our boy Sweet Mask to savagely beat the villain Garou to death with his bare hands and stand gloating over the body, as that is the path of justice.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Mordecai posted:

So is Saitama, really (when people attack him)

Who?
You mean Caped Baldy?
I think he was written out of the story. About time, dude was seriously OP.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

We should all be cheering for our boy Sweet Mask to savagely beat the villain Garou to death with his bare hands and stand gloating over the body, as that is the path of justice.

If Sweet Mask really did take out Garou, people would absolutely cheer for him.

I think monsters should win sometimes.

Maxwell Adams fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 16, 2019

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Maxwell Adams posted:

he's a good monster

the goodest

How soon they forget.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Garou is definitely a full blown rear end in a top hat

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Garou is the Reigen of ONE characters.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

:thunk:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

How the gently caress could you get something so simple so utterly wrong.

Reigen is the Reigen of ONE characters. Jesus Christ.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Furthermore, I think Garou is the Garou of ONE characters.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Garou was a genius to begin with and now that he's become a monster he becomes stronger with every fight.

Garou is the Murata Yusuke of ONE collaborators.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reigen is the Reigen of my heart.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Reigen is the Reigen of my heart.

:emptyquote:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

How soon they forget.

Yes, this, 100%.

The guy getting smashed was our hero, second only the protag, Licenseless Rider, who actually defended Garou from a vicious attack by Tank Top Man.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I distinctly remember that time where Garou ripped of some hero's loving arm
Some wizard guy with flamethrowers hidden on his hands or something

That's, like... easily the most hosed up thing he did to an actual hero so far - I don't think he killed or crippled anyone else...

In short, Garou is a character of contrasts.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The only move Sweet Mask uses is Sweet Release.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Torquemadras posted:

I distinctly remember that time where Garou ripped of some hero's loving arm
Some wizard guy with flamethrowers hidden on his hands or something

That's, like... easily the most hosed up thing he did to an actual hero so far - I don't think he killed or crippled anyone else...

In short, Garou is a character of contrasts.

Kira Yamato disarmed most of his opponents and he is still hailed as a virtuous hero

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heroes are cops

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Andrast posted:

Heroes are cops

Acab

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Heroes aren't cops. Unlike cops, there are more than zero good heroes.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Heroes aren't supposed to be cops but that's what OPM society wants them to be and it has royally hosed things up. Saitama, Mumen Rider, and Garou are probably some of the few who know what a hero should try to be.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Metal Bat is absolutely not a cop.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Heroes aren't supposed to be cops but that's what OPM society wants them to be and it has royally hosed things up. Saitama, Mumen Rider, and Garou are probably some of the few who know what a hero should try to be.

Most heroes seem to just deal with monsters and not deal with stuff the cops can handle. I think it's only been a handful of times when we see a hero trying to talk a guy off a ledge or more mundane stuff like that. As for what a hero should be, that's kind of an open question since it's not a single thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

Most heroes seem to just deal with monsters and not deal with stuff the cops can handle. I think it's only been a handful of times when we see a hero trying to talk a guy off a ledge or more mundane stuff like that. As for what a hero should be, that's kind of an open question since it's not a single thing.

I don't know about this, because I can't recall cops ever showing up anywhere outside a single chapter of the Murata comic. And during that chapter I am pretty sure the cops were lamenting that heroes were doing their jobs for them and taking all the credit. As for heroes doing cop work, heroes show up to deal with the Hammerhead gang and a hero shows up to deal with Saitama being called a pervert. More mundane stuff probably isn't shown because it doesn't fit the story.

And by what a hero should try to be I mean a hero shouldn't be concerned with what class they are so much. Pretty much anytime you see a hero's thoughts they're always thinking about how far up the rankings they'll move or how the monster they just beat was Disaster Level: Dragon or something.