Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FlavoFibe posted:

Hey there, Star Trek thread. I'm planning on watching (binging) all of the Star Trek. As I go along, should I post my thoughts here? You don't need to warn me, I know what I'm getting into.

Posts about Star Trek are pretty welcome in the Star Trek thread, so :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

FlavoFibe posted:

Hey there, Star Trek thread. I'm planning on watching (binging) all of the Star Trek. As I go along, should I post my thoughts here? You don't need to warn me, I know what I'm getting into.

:getin: Bring it!

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Okay, cool. Thanks, everyone! I guess I should give some more info. To be honest I already started on the original series and I'm almost done with season 1.

I'm not really new to Star Trek, my dad's a big ol ST nerd (especially TOS) and watches it and quotes it all the time. My brother and I had The Voyage Home, First Contact and Galaxy Quest (it counts, right?) on dvd and would watch them constantly, I have good memories of those. But most of the Star trek I've seen I watched it when I was young and I haven't seen a lot of the episodes as an adult with a more discerning eye for TV. I've kept up with the recent movies and shows, Discovery and Orville (it counts, right?).

I'll break down how much I remember real quick:

The Original Series: I'm most familiar with TOS I think. I have a high tolerance for cheesey nonsense and I'm having a lot of fun watching so far, though I've only engaged with it on a serious level maybe once or twice.

The Animated Series: I know literally nothing and I'm really looking forward to watching it under the influence. Looks like goofy fun.

The Next Generation: I've heard the first season is bad, and the most recent episodes I remember watching are the one where Data is Sherlock Holmes and one where Worf was a cowboy. I know Picard gets assimilated into the Borg at some point and that everyone hates Wesley.

Deep Space Nine: I remember pretty much nothing, except maybe a guy with tight skin and another guy with big ears? Looking forward to this too, I hear it's good.

Voyager: There's coffee in that nebula? A genocide happens at some point?

Enterprise: Watched it when it aired, but I was 10 at the time. The only episodes that stick out are the mirror universe ones cuz of the rad opening credits.

Anyway, sorry about the long post, I just wanted you all to know where I stood. I just finished S1E27 Errand of Mercy, which kind of felt like a repeat of the Gorn episode. My dad tells me the episode after this is a bad one, so I guess I'll be bracing myself for that.

Time to experience bij! Whatever the hell that means, sounds like a Klingon thing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In Past Tense why did the federation disappear?

Bashir, Jadzia, and Sisko all resolved the issue themselves and the crew of the Defiant did nothing that affected the situation. If the Defiant had also been wiped out, Sisko still would have successfully handled the Bell riots with help from Jadzia's new fuckboi Chris Brenner. So there is no reason the Federation would be erased from the timeline.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Federation disappears because Bell is killed, and the Bell riots somehow make the Federation happen. Its restored because Sisko takes Bell's place and makes sure history turns out the way it did. Except for Sisko, Bashir, and Dax, the Defiant crew arent involved in the time changes. So the Federation only disappears for the amount of time between Bell's untimely death and Sisko's plan succeeding.

What I don't get is how the riots and Bell's actions make the Federation exist at all. I get that Bell's martyrdom and the stories of the people in the Sanctuary District change people's attitude to and treatment of the homeless for the better. But given that ten years later, the world is consumed in nuclear fire, is a bunch of civil unrest in one American city before the Great Armageddon really the thing that tips the survivors and their Vulcan benefactors towards United Earth?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

cargohills posted:

if only there was some way for you to find out why..

That I didn't have to pay for.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

It has to spin. It's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning.

Okay, that's a good answer.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like that Hitchhiker's Guide spaceship that uses an Italian restaurant to power FTL travel using the advanced mathematics of dividing up the bill, as a revolving restaurant.

Ah yes, the power of a bistromathic drive. For time is an illusion--lunchtime, doubly so.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

The Federation disappears because Bell is killed, and the Bell riots somehow make the Federation happen. Its restored because Sisko takes Bell's place and makes sure history turns out the way it did. Except for Sisko, Bashir, and Dax, the Defiant crew arent involved in the time changes. So the Federation only disappears for the amount of time between Bell's untimely death and Sisko's plan succeeding.

What I don't get is how the riots and Bell's actions make the Federation exist at all. I get that Bell's martyrdom and the stories of the people in the Sanctuary District change people's attitude to and treatment of the homeless for the better. But given that ten years later, the world is consumed in nuclear fire, is a bunch of civil unrest in one American city before the Great Armageddon really the thing that tips the survivors and their Vulcan benefactors towards United Earth?

You need to instill that class consciousness and solidarity before you can get to the fully automated luxury gay space communism of the Federation.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

You need to instill that class consciousness and solidarity before you can get to the fully automated luxury gay space communism of the Federation.

I figured the nukes do that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

I figured the nukes do that.

Nah the nukes just enable the revolution that was already brewing.

Or something like that I dunno I didn't read "Capital" far enough to get to the Eugenics Wars part.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
“Past Tense” is a simple butterfly effect story, the point is not that Bell went on to found the federation himself or whatever but that simple acts of simple people can change the world in unexpected ways. If you need a reason maybe Cochrane’s grandfather would have died in a sanctuary district without ever meeting his grandmother or something. There’s gotta be some hobo ancestry in that guy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah but Sisko was always going to succeed as Bell, so Bell doing should have no effect. Sisko didn't succeed thanks to any outside intervention. They did it themselves.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Time travel isn’t real. They made up the consequences to create drama.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole point is that the Bell Riots and the lead up to them, with the residents of the Sanctuaries telling their stories when they'd been rounded up and forgotten about by society, got the ball rolling for humanity realising how hard they'd hosed up society and they need to find another way from unrestrained capitalism. The cop at the end looks over the aftermath of the riots and questions himself because doing his job has led to nothing but more chaos and suffering.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Geekboy posted:

IT IS REAL!

I CREATED IT!

RIGHT

:psyboom:

HERE

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I mean, it's also possible that they were like "hey that babylon five had a really great time travel story with a twist how about we try that"

except it wasn't as good because it was still a bottle show

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Geekboy posted:

Past Tense was bad because it didn’t teach me anything I didn’t already know about dystopic resettlement camps for the homeless run by the guy from Gremlins.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cessna posted:

That I didn't have to pay for.

imagine having to pay in order to watch television.. unbelievable

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Past Tense is actually the best such episode (set) in DS9 and the best Star Trek two parter

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Past Tense was bad because it didn’t teach me anything I didn’t already know about dystopic resettlement camps for the homeless run by the guy from Gremlins.

:perfect:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Past Tense is actually the best such episode (set) in DS9 and the best Star Trek two parter

yep

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sisko: They said that the sanctuary zones are supposed to have housing available for the poor! But I just walked past tents!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

It has to spin. It's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning.

"Let's try spinning, that's a good trick!" - Anakin Skywalker

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Slowly making my way through Season 7 of TNG. It's sad to see a season without so many characters I like. I'm starting to think of s4-6 as peak TNG. Such an awesome show. Now sure if I'm going to dive right into DS9 or take a break.

After watching so much TNG, playing the TNG expansion on Star Trek Bridge Crew owns so much. (except for not letting the captain be able to see a heading.) I really hope that game gets another DLC or a sequel. Easily one of my favorite licensed video games.

FlavoFibe posted:

Post those thoughts.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 19, 2019

The Noodle Incident
Aug 23, 2007
I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!
"Look, I get that this whole situation with the captain is serious, but I could really use a maintenance person to help replace The Inner Light in my quarters."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

cargohills posted:

imagine having to pay in order to watch television.. unbelievable

I already pay for Netflix and Amazon. I cut the cord so I don't have any cable.

The only thing I am even vaguely interested in on CBS is Star Trek, and I'm not signing up for a subscription service to watch one show. Yes, sure, I suppose I could sign up, binge watch it, then quit - but that's a hassle.

And it's not worth it to get an answer to "why is the saucer spinning."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cessna posted:

The only thing I am even vaguely interested in on CBS is Star Trek, and I'm not signing up for a subscription service to watch one show. Yes, sure, I suppose I could sign up, binge watch it, then quit - but that's a hassle.

Just do the 7 day trial and quit, it's not a hassle.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

Spacebump posted:

Post those thoughts.

Well, I just watched through the rest of season 1 of TOS today, so I'll post a few opinions. They're all gonna be surface level thoughts, don't expect any deep analysis on my part.

On the whole I liked season 1. There were only a couple that I really didn't enjoy, like The Alternative Factor and Mudd's Women (as a woman, boy did that episode suuuuuck). There were a few gems in there too, like The Corbomite Maneuver, Balance of Terror, Space Seed, City on the Edge of Forever, and even Arena was a fun watch. I kind of want to find out more about the Gorn.

I feel like A Taste of Armageddon was a solid sci-fi concept, am I crazy there? The disintegration chamber stuff kind of reminded me of The Carousel from Logan's Run.

And you know, for all of the over acting Shatner's known for, and he certainly over acted this season, there were actually a couple instances of some really good subtle acting from him that really surprised me. I wasn't expecting it at all.

Really the banter and friendship between Kirk Spock and McCoy is the best part of the show. The more of that there is the more I end up liking the episode.

Also I hope McCoy gets to act like a lunatic a few more times, he's so much fun to watch. And few lines as Sulu gets, Takei really puts a lot of personality into them.

Here's looking forward to season 2!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

FlavoFibe posted:

And you know, for all of the over acting Shatner's known for, and he certainly over acted this season, there were actually a couple instances of some really good subtle acting from him that really surprised me. I wasn't expecting it at all.

He was a decent to good actor, really, and then got full of himself and eventually just hammy. But yeah, he gives a solid performance in TOS. He anchors the show well. Also, Kirk's personality is not a sex fiend like the pop culture version of his character, but old tropes die hard.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aren't all the over-acting and sex monster jokes based on the movies, not the TV show?

Cessna posted:

Just pirate it. It's not a hassle.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Shat certainly hams it up quite a bit in the show, his performances in the movies don’t come from nowhere.

The “Kirk is a sex fiend” thing is just viewer projection. Kirk is frequently paired with beautiful women because the show wants sex appeal, but the character rarely actively pursues them because he’s responsible and dutiful. In the memories of people who haven’t watched the show more recently than they watched Futurama or JJTrek’s parodies of the character, that easily becomes “oh that horny Captain Kirk”.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Kirk, in the show, mostly comes across as a creative problem solver who is really, really protective of his ship and crew, and who wont turn down willing companionship if its offered, but who is mostly look, don't touch, and is too career oriented to start or maintain a serious relationship.

And Shatner hammed it up on Star Trek largely, I think, because he came from a theater background, getting his start with the Canadian National Rep and the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, and he was more used to acting theatrically.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shatner definitely leaned into the ham later in his career, but his delivery originally was a pretty common thing from that time -- stage mannerisms on screen.

I realized that Shatner was a legit good actor when I first saw Incubus many years ago. Dude makes his character seem believable and real even in an artificial language he can't speak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=accFmyaOj7o

:doom: ^^ e:f;b because I was looking up a clip. Agreed too on his liaisons...Kirk would never have gotten into a relationship with an officer under his command unlike some garbage-tier captains we could mention.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 19, 2019

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

ashpanash posted:

Also, Kirk's personality is not a sex fiend like the pop culture version of his character, but old tropes die hard.

skasion posted:

The “Kirk is a sex fiend” thing is just viewer projection. Kirk is frequently paired with beautiful women because the show wants sex appeal, but the character rarely actively pursues them because he’s responsible and dutiful. In the memories of people who haven’t watched the show more recently than they watched Futurama or JJTrek’s parodies of the character, that easily becomes “oh that horny Captain Kirk”.

I can definitely agree with these points so far. I had gotten the impression from pop culture that Kirk was obsessed with sex but that hasn't really been the case. Obsessed with his ship, maybe. He definitely has a lot of old flames who keep showing up though, and he certainly makes googly eyes at any pretty lady filmed with vaseline on the camera lens. One thing I noticed is that he doesn't mess around with his subordinates on the ship, which is good. I don't think he even acted on his feelings for that one yeoman at the beginning of the season.

Edit: ^beaten on my last point there

FlavoFibe fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 19, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Shatner was a great actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul-Y8vSr0I&t=51s

Look how hard he acts. So hard.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Shatner's acting style is "More" - this school of acting can be best exemplified by Nicholas Cage, who acts Most.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PostNouveau posted:

Shatner was a great actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul-Y8vSr0I&t=51s

lolling at this scrub who doesn't get high art

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sadly the only other appearance of the Gorn (outside of being mentioned a few times here and there) is the appearance of one on a Season 4 episode of Enterprise (which is set in the Mirror Universe)

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sadly the only other appearance of the Gorn (outside of being mentioned a few times here and there) is the appearance of one on a Season 4 episode of Enterprise (which is set in the Mirror Universe)

Yeah, that's the only episode of Enterprise I actually remember.

Shame there isn't more Gorn though, even if the suit was goofy. We didn't even get a good look at their ship. They seemed completely different than the usual 'human with weird head' aliens. I'm pretty much imagining a bridge with a bunch of angry reptiles hissing at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shatner is a super engaging actor and Star Trek only exists because of how enthralling he was