Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nocheez posted:

My bad, I didn't expect to spark a huge outrage with my "all people should return their library books on time" opinion.

Thank goodness I still live in a place where we can shun and fine those who don't take personal responsibility for their agreements. Life's hard when you're poor and this is generally a good thing for society as it incentivizes not being poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well it’s even easier if the nanny does it because then you can just withhold the fines from her pay if the books are late. Plus penalties of course, to help her learn better.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Suddenly I am very glad for this thread to have made it's way to my cold, dark corner of the subforums

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Well it’s even easier if the nanny does it because then you can just withhold the fines from her pay if the books are late. Plus penalties of course, to help her learn better.

If it's literally part of her job, that sounds like it would just be a reprimand scaling with incident rate and severity potentially ending in termination. Don't think you can legally withhold from pay like that though.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

metallicaeg posted:

But I've been told successful people work harder than unsuccessful people and are deserving of every tax-sheltered penny, so how do all these high earners...sorry, people of wealth, have all this free time to return books?

Something something gig economy... something something taskrabbit? Or whatever you drat kids use these days.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Spokes posted:

Yeah, think of it as leasing business space to peddle whatever old rich men buy

http://www.automotorplex.com/photos/social-events/

The first photos on their "social events" page is someone selling these guys wine and watches.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Subjunctive posted:

Do you understand that poor people often have less time flexibility and worse transportation options than those better off? Returning a book is a very different thing when you can swing by in your car after your one 9-5 job than when you have to fit in an hour round trip between your shifts.

It is a bad opinion, because it demands more of those with fewer resources in order for them to access a public service.

So at what point do we get to hold people accountable? My library system gives you 28 days to return a book, and you can renew as long as there aren't holds. I think fines are like $0.25/day, capped at the cost of the book. I have a hard time believing someone can't make it to the after hours drop box once every month or two.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Someone PM me when the thread is back in BFC, thanks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

therobit posted:

So at what point do we get to hold people accountable? My library system gives you 28 days to return a book, and you can renew as long as there aren't holds. I think fines are like $0.25/day, capped at the cost of the book. I have a hard time believing someone can't make it to the after hours drop box once every month or two.

same, but registering to vote, probation appointments for non-violent offenses, etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

If it's literally part of her job, that sounds like it would just be a reprimand scaling with incident rate and severity potentially ending in termination. Don't think you can legally withhold from pay like that though.

Like she can afford a lawyer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Suddenly I am very glad for this thread to have made it's way to my cold, dark corner of the subforums

I want to make fun but I can't remember the last E/N thread I read

I think it was the LA nice guy goon

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

therobit posted:

So at what point do we get to hold people accountable?

Accountable for what? And why does “accountable” have to mean financial consequences that are identical in number but obviously not in impact on the person?

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
Fines have been debated in libraries for at least the last 20 years, and the trend recently seems to be favoring dropping daily fines. What my library does now is after an item is 21 days late charge the price of the book to your card so you can't check out anything else (it comes off when you bring the item back).

In my experience, families with small kids are the worst hurt by daily fines because they tend to check out more books and bringing a small pile of picture books back a week late hits the fine limit and prevents the kids from getting more books.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Accountable for what? And why does “accountable” have to mean financial consequences that are identical in number but obviously not in impact on the person?

What mechanism would you suggest to get people to return their library books?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

same, but registering to vote, probation appointments for non-violent offenses, etc.

Except not at all the same. You don't have a constitutional right to borrow library books, and unlike the DMV the drop box is open 24/7. Presumably the library is in a location they can reach, since they got there to borrow the book in the first place.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Barry posted:

:same:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Barry posted:

Me too, didn't realize e/n was just an extra lovely version of D&D

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Subjunctive posted:

You haven’t lived until you’ve railed a few lines of coke off a midget’s rear end while your domme quizzes you on the nuances of Proust.

I call this Wednesday.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Barry posted:

BonerGhost posted:

Me too, didn't realize e/n was just an extra lovely version of D&D

I respect when people realize that dollars and cents are easier to understand than emotions and sense and I am grateful for your posting here.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I respect when people realize that dollars and cents are easier to understand than emotions and sense and I am grateful for your posting here.

Hell yeah they are. Also, being emotional about money is usually the easiest way to be BWM, especially with investments.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Taken entirely on its own, library fines for late books seem like a small and relatively unimportant cost for the poor who also can't or won't return books.

Taken en masse, the vast and various ways in which we nickel and dime the poo poo out of the people least able to afford it is grotesque and harmful, and mostly serves to keep poor people poor by placing far more obstacles in their paths, and the consequences for falling short on cash in any given month are far more dire for the poor than for the middle class or wealthy. In the grand scheme of things, library book fines are not very important, but we will not reverse the society-wide downward financial pressure on the poor if we explain away every nickel and dime as just a fairly minor incentive for the poor to be more responsible and make better decisions.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Unless looking at pictures of tits counts as reading I will not be convinced of reading “a book” much less going “to a library”

This is my contribution to the thread and this subject thank you for reading

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Are libraries similar across the USA? In Portland, OR they're 95% homeless people staying out of the rain and 5% students that don't have the internet at home.

I strongly support its existence and the service it provides (because homeless people don't deserve to live and poo poo on the sidewalk), but it doesn't seem to be providing the service of "Book and DVD borrowing place"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Looking at tits is probably the most common activity at the library. There is literally, at all times, at least one man masturbating at the computer area.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Looking at tits is probably the most common activity at the library. There is literally, at all times, at least one man masturbating at the computer area.

I suggest you start masturbating somewhere else then.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Please read this delightful ask/tell thread full of stories of library weirdos, written by people who do or have worked at libraries:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872210
After you have read and enjoyed the stories you will also have picked up a better idea of who uses libraries, what for, and why.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are libraries similar across the USA? In Portland, OR they're 95% homeless people staying out of the rain and 5% students that don't have the internet at home.

I strongly support its existence and the service it provides (because homeless people don't deserve to live and poo poo on the sidewalk), but it doesn't seem to be providing the service of "Book and DVD borrowing place"

In nice suburbs, it's rather different. Mine has 3d printers, a woodshop, mini recording studio and video editing lab, VR headset area, robotics kits, weaving loom and crochet/knitting/quilting supplies, and a juice bar.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hutzpah posted:

I suggest you start masturbating somewhere else then.

naw man OP works from home

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Mass exodus of BFC regulars because we are in the no holds barred world of E/N is the funniest thing that's happened on these forums for awhile.

Ps the hold up earlier was mods making sure blue story/zuarg's parachute was still posting in this thread, wasn't it?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

when all the other social safety nets are cut, libraries pick up the slack. hence why some librarians carry narcan.

if this upsets you, one solution is to re-fund those safety net programs. :)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Was Blue Story even a thing that happened or is this a Mandela Effect

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not BWM, but a recent this American Life episode has some interesting stories about libraries and their functions beyond simply being a place to borrow books.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/664/the-room-of-requirement

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

metallicaeg posted:

But I've been told successful people work harder than unsuccessful people and are deserving of every tax-sheltered penny, so how do all these high earners...sorry, people of wealth, have all this free time to return books?

It's people of means you nincompoop!

Imagine the kind of chaos that would break loose if people could just have books, it's absolutely untenable!!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh hey that's a lot of posts!

Oh.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

Oh hey that's a lot of posts!

Oh.

What's the matter, buddy?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wait till you have kids

BWM: buying stacks of kids books which are all inexplicably hardcover

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Depending on the library they may also have a lot of good streaming content.

I can stream Seven Samurai and Rashomon through my library’s streaming service.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

howdoesishotweb posted:

BWM: buying stacks of kids books which are all inexplicably hardcover
Inexplicably? Toddlers destroy softcovers almost as easily as they destroy popup books.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

moana posted:

Inexplicably? Toddlers destroy softcovers almost as easily as they destroy popup books.

Yeah, what the hell is up with making popup books for kids younger than 10? They just destroy them.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

moana posted:

I’m not talking about baby board books which are basically glorified chew toys. I mean the early reader 4-6 year old stuff.

Either way, free stacks of books from the library is cheaper than buying em. Bonus of keeping your sanity from not reading the same 3 every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barry posted: