Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

sponges posted:

So is this going to stop soon once it gets outta early access? CoQ can be difficult at the beginning so losing saves is frustrating

Presumably. But you can always revert to the previous version if you want to keep playing a save. In Steam right click on Caves of Qud, select properties, go to the betas tab and select 'previousstable'. You can also disable automatic updates if you like. There is a Caves of Qud thread, and the devs are quite active in it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I thought you guys were talking about the frequent updates breaking "slaves" for some reason and I was thinking that there was poo poo about Qud I had apparently missed. I need a nap, or glasses.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Well, you can psychically beguile and/or dominate npcs if you have certain mutations, but its not usually affected by the updates.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also you get to kill Putus Templar, who are canonically slavers.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

More good Noita stuff since the last post:

https://twitter.com/NollaGames/status/1096871347240779778

https://twitter.com/NollaGames/status/1094329903305105410

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can we talk about Immortal Redneck? I've been playing a bunch but have only gotten to the first boss once and I got killed before figuring out how to damage him.

I seem to always play Seth because I really like the active electric ball thing. I've dabbled in most of the unlock tree and I think I've just recently unlocked the Hathor class.

What classes did people like? The guy who can't double jump seems awfully bad to me but I've really only done Seth and the Hunter so far.

Also just looking for general tips!

Seth is pretty good in terms of his ability, and he starts with good splash weapons (though I try to replace the sword asap). I too really dislike the single jump guy, because multiple jumps basically crush a bunch of the room puzzle/layouts and I'd rather just blow through them instead of having to do a bunch of near-perfect jumping. I'm pretty bad about making sure to use active abilities, but most of the are good, and can help fill holes in your kit.

I personally like having a long range high accuracy attack, but not the sniper rifles. The rooms honestly aren't big enough and the zoom is so high that they're a pain in the rear end. On the other hand, the kunai is really good, because it is similar damage and perfect accuracy. You'll also want some sort of splash attack (bombs are all pretty lovely, but stuff like flamethrower is really good). Then for a third weapon you'll want something for whatever boss is coming up. The first boss some sort of hitscan weapon is really useful, since once you can hurt him he starts really moving and kunai's can be hard to hit. If you can find a rocket launch for the 2nd boss it is super good.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I need to start considering the right weapons for the boss. The first miniboss I don't have much trouble with but the main boss I'm not sure I have the best loadout for, given I have the burst machine gun, Hellsing pistol, and sniper rifle.

I think I'll just focus on figuring out the pattern because I'm not sure any of those weapons are really optimal against him. Maybe the bird will be amazing but I wish I was Seth instead of the Hunter this run, I think Seth's active would be great on this boss because the weak points seem clumped together.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Anybody have tips for starting off in A Celebration of Violence? I seem to do fine in the first level until I run into the bandit lord boss who runs circles around me, stun locks me and kills me. The weapons all seem to have much too long wind up animations for me to reliably hit him, and the stamina bar doesn't last very long and once it's gone I can't dodge anymore.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

andrew smash posted:

Anybody have tips for starting off in A Celebration of Violence? I seem to do fine in the first level until I run into the bandit lord boss who runs circles around me, stun locks me and kills me. The weapons all seem to have much too long wind up animations for me to reliably hit him, and the stamina bar doesn't last very long and once it's gone I can't dodge anymore.

Circle strafe him nonstop. If you get close enough, he'll switch to an axe. I suggest killing underlings first. It's quite possible to start a big fire and lure him into it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Stark Fist posted:

Jeez, I played this game over a decade ago and I've been trying to remember the name for ages. Thanks. I had thought that maybe I was thinking of CDDA but I knew that wasn't it.

Haha glad to help. I was so into that game when it first came out I wrote guides for it.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

A Strange Aeon posted:

I need to start considering the right weapons for the boss. The first miniboss I don't have much trouble with but the main boss I'm not sure I have the best loadout for, given I have the burst machine gun, Hellsing pistol, and sniper rifle.

I think I'll just focus on figuring out the pattern because I'm not sure any of those weapons are really optimal against him. Maybe the bird will be amazing but I wish I was Seth instead of the Hunter this run, I think Seth's active would be great on this boss because the weak points seem clumped together.

Yea double jump is super good against the starfox boss, and those weapons aren't great but aren't bad as long as you play safe against his patterns. The sniper rifle isn't bad for being able to target him. Personally I find that the best weapon is the rocket launcher, because you can kill like 4+ spots at once.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

andrew smash posted:

hopefully you can get a bit of currency for the start of the game. don't spend it all on the meta-upgrades. in the starting area there's an altar you should use to increase your stam, to the lower right across the water. There's also the altar to increase your... power, i think? but that requires spending ingots, so you need to spend currency on the craftables which you would use to do that stat upgrade. the in-game upgrades are way more potent in terms of beefing you up. i've found the peasant's starting pitchfork to be more than capable for killing the bandits.

If you want to avoid the bandit lord entirely, you could always start in the desert instead. that portal is to the lower left, instead of going up. The boss of the desert isn't even really a boss.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Someone's made a SUPERHOT mod for Unexplored:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNpEsA_0j4U

:master::master::master::master::master::master:

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
Probably gets asked a lot, but...

Suggestions for a beginner? I'm playing Anthem and have been screwing around with Tangledeep during Anthem's many load screens. I'm feeling super ADD about it all. Tangle seems cool so far, but I'm only a little ways in. I have Shattered Pixel dungeon on my phone, regular pixel dungeon on my PC, Sproggiwood on PC/iPad. I've been fooling around with Brogue, but I really wish there was an official Android version of it. A lot of people rave about Caves of Qud so there's that. And there's a doom one! And I've always been interested in learning how to play Unreal World. I guess DCSS has a pretty solid tutorial to get you started?

It doesn't help that most of these are either free or super cheap. I've been interested in Caves of Qud for a long time, bought it basically when it first appeared on Steam. It just seems kind of daunting to get thrown into an open roguelike world.

rambling post, I just don't know what to start with.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

knob posted:

Probably gets asked a lot, but...

Suggestions for a beginner? I'm playing Anthem and have been screwing around with Tangledeep during Anthem's many load screens. I'm feeling super ADD about it all. Tangle seems cool so far, but I'm only a little ways in. I have Shattered Pixel dungeon on my phone, regular pixel dungeon on my PC, Sproggiwood on PC/iPad. I've been fooling around with Brogue, but I really wish there was an official Android version of it. A lot of people rave about Caves of Qud so there's that. And there's a doom one! And I've always been interested in learning how to play Unreal World. I guess DCSS has a pretty solid tutorial to get you started?

It doesn't help that most of these are either free or super cheap. I've been interested in Caves of Qud for a long time, bought it basically when it first appeared on Steam. It just seems kind of daunting to get thrown into an open roguelike world.

rambling post, I just don't know what to start with.

Tangledeep is probably the most straightforward. I'd also go with DCSS to learn the fundamentals. Shattered PD is surprisingly punishing so I would not begin there. Golden Krone Hotel is another good starter RL, modeled on DCSS with a tighter focus and shorter game length.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ZypherIM posted:

Yea double jump is super good against the starfox boss, and those weapons aren't great but aren't bad as long as you play safe against his patterns. The sniper rifle isn't bad for being able to target him. Personally I find that the best weapon is the rocket launcher, because you can kill like 4+ spots at once.

I ended up getting there with Seth and I found a rocket launcher and a ton of good scrolls, including one that makes bosses have less health. The rockets were amazing and made short work of him!

I then promptly made like 300 gold before dying in the second pyramid. I really like the challenge of this game, hoping the second and third pyramid hold some unique surprises of their own. I can already tell the enemies are going to be harder not only because they start beefed up as it's technically level 7.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stark Fist posted:

Someone's made a SUPERHOT mod for Unexplored:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNpEsA_0j4U

:master::master::master::master::master::master:

while the nature of the anytime pausing and inventory made this sorta-exist already, this is real cool

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I've wanted to see a game do the opposite, where time slows down the faster you move. Maybe it'd turn out stupid?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

megane posted:

I've wanted to see a game do the opposite, where time slows down the faster you move. Maybe it'd turn out stupid?

There was a game, more like a prototype, that greatly exaggerated the effects of relativity, basically by slowing down the speed of light a huge amount so you could reach it just by running fast enough. It had blue- and red-shifting and other effects of moving too fast; I'm just about positive that relativistic time dilation was part of it. Otherwise it was just a collectathon though.

I was playing Transcendence, flying as the Manticore, which can mount heavy armor (i.e. has a higher HP cap) and has an armor repair device where shields normally go. I got into a big fight with three fleets of pirates and the two stations they were defending. My new weapon drew enough power that I couldn't run it and the armor repair module at the same time...but I had pretty good armor, I figured, it'll be fine. And it was fine! I shut off the armor repair module and took apart the fleets, then the stations. Got a little low on HP, but nothing the repair module couldn't fix. I'd just departed towards friendlier docks and re-powered the repair module when a lone pirate gunship flew in, late to the party. Oh well, it's just one ship. Depower the repair module, power the guns, blast it apart...and its death explosion killed me. Oops.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
why is superhot such a good simple concept and why did it take so long to be invented

megane posted:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There was a game, more like a prototype, that greatly exaggerated the effects of relativity, basically by slowing down the speed of light a huge amount so you could reach it just by running fast enough. It had blue- and red-shifting and other effects of moving too fast; I'm just about positive that relativistic time dilation was part of it. Otherwise it was just a collectathon though.

Pretty sure you're talking about A Slower Speed of Light. Haven't tried it, but the video at least shows how trippy it gets.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was playing Transcendence, flying as the Manticore...

Haha, nice. Yeah, that's bound to happen to everyone once in a while. My favorite version of that story is when someone successfully wins a fight against any of the toughest entities in the game for the first time, only to immediately discover that the larger and more exotic the vessel, the prettier the fireworks.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

I ended up getting there with Seth and I found a rocket launcher and a ton of good scrolls, including one that makes bosses have less health. The rockets were amazing and made short work of him!

I then promptly made like 300 gold before dying in the second pyramid. I really like the challenge of this game, hoping the second and third pyramid hold some unique surprises of their own. I can already tell the enemies are going to be harder not only because they start beefed up as it's technically level 7.
Splash is great on that boss though still kind of a slog if you use whatever that default electric chain one is because the reload is brutal (otoh the flamethrower makes short work of the free ammo attack). I don't know why but I like Amunet the invisible goddess (great get out of trouble button that doesn't take too long to repop, hate the gumpowder bomb though. Running backwards is fine but you don't get bonus to strafing which I think is what you mainly do due to circling) and I seem to have luck with Neith who gives extra damage with range (weirdly the Burst Machine Gun close is great if you have a lot of crit). I wish I liked Thoth more but I find those weapons awful (the electric gloves like all free ones are garbage, the energy rifle I just can't use due to the slow projectiles because it sucks when you absolutely need to hit when you need to hit, the energy ball is low damage and maybe worse procs slow) . Sekhmet's great if you don't need damage and is probably the best overall. Apparently stats are a major thing so if one isn't working for you it's probably because your stats don't match up for it to be use (or you chose a "bad" stat). The more I play the more I feel like the developer lucked into a pretty decent game but I also suck really, really bad.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Doom Goon posted:

Splash is great on that boss though still kind of a slog if you use whatever that default electric chain one is because the reload is brutal (otoh the flamethrower makes short work of the free ammo attack). I don't know why but I like Amunet the invisible goddess (great get out of trouble button that doesn't take too long to repop, hate the gumpowder bomb though. Running backwards is fine but you don't get bonus to strafing which I think is what you mainly do due to circling) and I seem to have luck with Neith who gives extra damage with range (weirdly the Burst Machine Gun close is great if you have a lot of crit). I wish I liked Thoth more but I find those weapons awful (the electric gloves like all free ones are garbage, the energy rifle I just can't use due to the slow projectiles because it sucks when you absolutely need to hit when you need to hit, the energy ball is low damage and maybe worse procs slow) . Sekhmet's great if you don't need damage and is probably the best overall. Apparently stats are a major thing so if one isn't working for you it's probably because your stats don't match up for it to be use (or you chose a "bad" stat). The more I play the more I feel like the developer lucked into a pretty decent game but I also suck really, really bad.

This is great, I should really try the other classes. I'm a bit leery of the kill enemies to heal and meat doesn't work anymore because every time I get that scroll, I know the run is doomed to slow attrition as I almost never heal more than I end up taking. Maybe that class with the upgrade changes the equation though.

I agree with you, the game is way better than anything called Immortal Redneck could be expected to be.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I've only played Superhot in VR but I feel if I ever played it on regular PC, I'd be incredibly disappointed. Nothing makes you feel more like a badass than being a slow mo Neo and stopping bullets with a coffee cup or tip of a knife. Also, it's a workout like yoga if you intend to take cover slowly and try to sit still.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

poemdexter posted:

I've only played Superhot in VR but I feel if I ever played it on regular PC, I'd be incredibly disappointed. Nothing makes you feel more like a badass than being a slow mo Neo and stopping bullets with a coffee cup or tip of a knife. Also, it's a workout like yoga if you intend to take cover slowly and try to sit still.

I really didn't like superhot at all when it just a regular game. Cool concept, but the gameplay wasn't my thing.

When I got my oculus, my view changed completely. It's one of those games I'd recommend to anyone wanting to experience VR games. It's a ton of fun.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So I tried Vagante again after not at all liking it the first time around a few years ago and now I'm loving it. Anyone have any beginner tips?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chin Strap posted:

So I tried Vagante again after not at all liking it the first time around a few years ago and now I'm loving it. Anyone have any beginner tips?

Go really slow through the first couple levels and try not to take any damage whatsoever. If you're playing solo I think I remember the archer character being pretty decent. Melee is just asking for pain unless you're coop.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Really? I never got good at the game, but all my solid runs (like crypt+) where Warriors with swords.

The game had a lot of issues imo, I never went back to it after seeing 1.0 was basically the same.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
This thread has been discussing games like Card Quest which might not be 'true' roguelikes but seems like a good a place to ask my question as any.

Is there any other games like Card Quest on Android that fit that same niche? By that I don't mean only card based ones, but a tactical, crunch-heavy RPG. I've had a look around and nothing I can find seems to quite fit, but if it wasn't for this thread I'd have discounted CQ immediately.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Check out Night Of The Full Moon -- it's more of a deckbuilder like Dream Quest or Slay The Spire but it's great; was a little sparse at launch but they've added a ton of content. Great interface for mobile, too, much better than Card Quest or Dream Quest's.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen lots of people recommend Dream Quest but I'm not sure I can get past the art :(

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Razakai posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen lots of people recommend Dream Quest but I'm not sure I can get past the art :(

It's really, really worth the attempt to get past the art. I've played more Dream Quest than any other card based roguelike, more than any other two even, and I'm still revisiting it from time to time.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Dream Quest is the best game I can’t get anyone to play because wow is it ugly. Honestly if they game it some polished visuals it has the gameplay to increase in popularity many times over.

Silent Abyss has also been a neat game for me. I’ve gotten 15-20 hours out of it and will probably get another couple dozen out of it before I’m done. It’s worth a look. You pick a pairof heroes out and run through a series of dungeons with 2 separate decks. It’s fun but doesn’t seem very popular.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Night of the Full Moon basically started as a wholesale chinese dream quest ripoff (down to many identical cards and enemy designs) with much much nicer graphics and surprisingly good voice acting for a 99 cent chinese game but they've added a ton of features and some really cool classes/mechanics and it feels very different now. I'm a huge DQ fan and have gotten all the achievements and wiped my file to do it again multiple times over but in some ways I like Full Moon more -- it doesn't have quite as many "gently caress you" moments as Dream Quest where you'll run into a boss that completely bricks the deck you've built, so you have more ways to build stuff without potentially loving yourself over. There are some neat mechanics too that take good advantage of the digital card game space, and as you play you unlock some interesting passive perk options for classes that let you play them in totally different directions

edit: ^^^^ i bought Silent Abyss and messed around with it a bit, it's cool but it just feels sooo slow coming off DQ and Full Moon .

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah that’s fair. My main complaint about Silent Abyss is taking a run to completion is long as hell. Fights can be a touch on the grindy side but that also gets reduced as you get more synergistic and degenerate decks so it kind of evens out.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Chin Strap posted:

Early bosses? Sometimes hanging off a ledge is a useful tactic- baby dragon in particular. If you don’t have a fairy to rescue, certain corpses are useful at the bonfire. A live chicken or a book can result in healing, while an eye-bat can let you see through walls. There are a few other things of varying utility; still better than nothing.

I kind of burnt out on various forest bosses myself.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

goferchan posted:

Night of the Full Moon

Alright this kicks rear end. It's weird as gently caress, but in sort of a charming way, and my first run through the game as a Knight soon saw me quintuple-wielding weapons and eviscerating Dracula by hitting him 600 billion times per turn, because I figured out that I could hyperspecialize into Having Equipment so as to clank into battle absolutely bristling with items and instantly deal 20+ damage with each use of that "deal X damage for each piece of equipment you're wearing" card. I actually ended up banishing most of my basic attack cards (all but the maxed out ones) because they're comically outclassed by my Impractical Number Of Knives Technique.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

^^^ that's a great example of how the classes differentiate each other with the perks you unlock. eventually one of the choosable "fairy blessings" for Knight becomes "use a random attack card from your deck whenever you use an action card" and suddenly you're building around actions instead of equipment . I've also had a lot of success with self-damage builds: you take the perk that makes you triple the effect of your first attack card each combat, then you take equipment that damages you on the start of your turn, and then the item that makes you deal double damage after taking damage on your turn. All of a sudden your first card is swinging for 6x it's normal effect and you're one-shotting most enemies

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

getting the road warrior feels like a guaranteed loop

https://i.imgur.com/EPydT0h.mp4

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Razakai posted:

Monster Hunter is a Dream Quest knock off that has much better art but only has about 10% of the sheer hatred for the player.

Post your favorite ways Dream Quest hates you:
The Hand of Glory
A monster that takes half damage from anything but piercing damage. If it has a deck I can tell you nothing about it. Because this rear end in a top hat makes you play your hand against yourself every other turn. Sure you can try to derail your killer combo by playing things in the wrong order. But if you cast magic or rely on plain old physical attacks you are going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How's that Lovecraft's Untold Stories?