Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
This backup stuff reminds me of a story from ca 2008.

I was working for a managed IT service provider and one of our customers was a dentists office that had like 6 dentists working in a shared office along with about a dozen other employees. Their backups went to hard disk, and then once a week to a tape that would be stored in a bank safe in case of a complete disaster. 12 tapes were supposed to be rotated through at the bank to give then some long term recovery options.
However, the office manager was a stingy gently caress, and despite the trip to the bank taking almost an hour of the office secretary's time every Friday evening, she wasn't allowed to write that up as work hours. So she ended up doing that routine for about a year, until she accidentally didn't swap the tape one week and then noticed that the backup server didn't actually check which tape was inserted. So she presumably thought "gently caress this" and changed the procedure into just swapping around the same two tapes between the drive and a desk drawer.

We only found out about that three years later when one of the tapes broke from the wear and we checked the logs. The girl was obviously fired, we somehow managed to avoid any consequences since luckily we never actually needed one of the backups. Oh and the guy that blatantly violated labor laws was obviously not blamed either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Love backup software that'll happily any tape as the one it's asked for.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I guess the laws of mathematics did trump the laws of Australia in the end.

For those not familiar, may I present former Australian prime minister Malcolm Turnbull.

Or the full quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/14/new-law-would-force-facebook-and-google-to-give-police-access-to-encrypted-messages posted:

“The laws of Australia prevail in Australia, I can assure you of that. The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only laws that applies in Australia is the law of Australia.”

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 18, 2019

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The law of Australia is welcome to try to extradite these nefarious hackers from mainland china, we urge them to try.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Do Australian lawmakers fully understand that the Internet is not physically located in Australia? Has anyone asked?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Australian lawmakers are like most of them across the planet and completely out of touch with the modern world.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Do Australian lawmakers fully understand that the Internet is not physically located in Australia? Has anyone asked?

None of them realise that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I can’t decide if thats worse than actually introducing law to redefine the value of pi.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-squires/republicans-introduce-leg_b_837828.html

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can’t decide if thats worse than actually introducing law to redefine the value of pi.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-squires/republicans-introduce-leg_b_837828.html

If only we lived in a sufficiently rational society where attempting to redefine mathematical reality through law would be an immediately fireable offense...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

wolrah posted:

If only we lived in a sufficiently rational society where attempting to redefine mathematical reality through law would be an immediately fireable offense...

If we lived in a rational society we wouldn't need transcendental numbers. :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Absurd Alhazred posted:

God drat

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well done.

:golfclap:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Major security issues found in popular password managers

quote:

ISE evaluated 1Password, Dashlane, KeePass and LastPass on Windows 10, and found that in some cases, the master password for the app was kept in the system memory in a plaintext readable format.

As the firm points out, that’s no better than storing it typed out in a document on your computer, at least when it comes to a skilled attacker. In these cases, even if the password manager app is ‘locked’ – i.e. it’s running, but you need to enter the master password to access the many stored passwords inside the application – a hacker can potentially get in by sniffing out the plaintext master password in the PC’s memory.

And once they’re in, they can access all the victim’s usernames and passwords for every site and service they have signed up for.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:psyduck:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Here's the deets, it's a decent read:
https://www.securityevaluators.com/casestudies/password-manager-hacking/

1Password7 is....disappointing

wyoak fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 20, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wyoak posted:

Here's the deets, it's a decent read:
https://www.securityevaluators.com/casestudies/password-manager-hacking/

1Password7 is....disappointing

Well, poo poo. And that was one of the recommended good ones. Also, I’m using it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm still using 1Pass 4. Am I hosed?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol that report is useless. If they have a keylogger on your system you are hosed anyways.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Surprise, elevated local access is dangerous?!?!?!?????!?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The "how much can an adversary get if they gain access some time after you've used and re-locked your password manager" bit is interesting.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A patient adversary with that access could replace my password manager with their own version and I'd never know the difference.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

quote:

As the firm points out, that’s no better than storing it typed out in a document on your computer, at least when it comes to a skilled attacker.

*groan*

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm really confused as to why anyone finds any if that surprising.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Turns out writing articles about security does not actually require understanding scope or preexisting levels of access and their complications, as long as you can poo poo on random tools even if your “finding” is hardly of consequence.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Surprise, elevated local access is dangerous?!?!?!?????!?
:popeye:
Dtrace works on Windows now, too - so it's even simpler than the article makes it out.

Also, nobody should tell them about websites being able to access the clipboard which is used by a lot of password managers. :ssh:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

D. Ebdrup posted:

Also, nobody should tell them about websites being able to access the clipboard which is used by a lot of password managers. :ssh:

Not true, Chrome specifically asks for permission when a site wants read access to clipboard data.
https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2018/03/clipboardapi

Also, everybody should realize using a password manager like Lastpass or 1password caries its own set of risks, but it's probably better than reusing the same three passwords across hundreds of sites.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lambert posted:

Not true, Chrome specifically asks for permission when a site wants read access to clipboard data.
https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2018/03/clipboardapi

Also, everybody should realize using a password manager like Lastpass or 1password caries its own set of risks, but it's probably better than reusing the same three passwords across hundreds of sites.
Welp, not being a Chrome user, I of course didn't know about any of this.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is arguing that "using a password manager, so each website has their own password" is the same as "elevated access priviledges allowing concious access by a determined attacker when the data isn't at rest"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I mean I agree it's overhyped, but also they're not wrong. Password managers really should not keep any full keys in memory when locked.

Don't think about the remote attacker who has so owned the PC that they can run memory-scanning code with no prompting. The better hypothetical is someone dumping passwords from a PC left momentarily unlocked in an office or something. Shove in USB stick, run memdump.exe, click yes on UAC, steal passwords without leaving a keylogger or trojan on the system as evidence.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Welp, not being a Chrome user, I of course didn't know about any of this.
Also firefox

Though I think both browsers allow JS to see the clipboard during a paste event, which is why password managers have auto-type functions. In theory that's much harder for a bit of rogue JS to capture on a website.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On browsers - have they stopped auto-completing forms where the field is hidden yet? I also feel there should be a way to prevent text entered into autocomplete fields from being sent to the server until the form is submitted.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

On browsers - have they stopped auto-completing forms where the field is hidden yet? I also feel there should be a way to prevent text entered into autocomplete fields from being sent to the server until the form is submitted.

Yes. This is now even a really annoying anti-pattern where, for example, the password field only shows up after entering your username. Thanks Delta.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

I mean I agree it's overhyped, but also they're not wrong. Password managers really should not keep any full keys in memory when locked.

Don't think about the remote attacker who has so owned the PC that they can run memory-scanning code with no prompting. The better hypothetical is someone dumping passwords from a PC left momentarily unlocked in an office or something. Shove in USB stick, run memdump.exe, click yes on UAC, steal passwords without leaving a keylogger or trojan on the system as evidence.

Also firefox

Though I think both browsers allow JS to see the clipboard during a paste event, which is why password managers have auto-type functions. In theory that's much harder for a bit of rogue JS to capture on a website.
I think you're expecting password managers to have much more control over memory than they actually do.

If I may, kib@, one of FreeBSDs long-time contributors (who also recently finished implementing ASLR properly), is in the process of implementing pkru(3) which is an implementation that takes advantage of Usermode Protection Keys, a new technology a vailable on Skylake Xeons
Now, pkru(3) is a way for user applications to request that certain of the data they're handling (for example, personally identifiable client information) be excluded from incidental debugging.What's important here is that it cannot protect against an attacker with agency, because the keys are user-controlled and an attacker with elevated priviledges can override any of those values.
LIke I said before, Windows has dtrace - and the one thing you should know about dtrace, and why it can only be run as root on FreeBSD and Solaris and as the SuperAdministrator on Windows (yes, it's really called that), is that it's the best rootkit you'll ever get. It can tell you _anything_ about the system that you want to know, all the way to ring 0 (the kernel).
If you want that kind of protection, I think you need something like CHERI (a RISC-based ISA with capabilities, which FreeBSDCheriBSD has been modified to run on) - you can read more about that earlier in the thread, as they just published a new thing that I recently linked.

I'm glad Firefox has the same clipboard protection nowdays, thanks!

EDIT: Wanna learn how to gain root on macOS with CVE-2018-4193 in < 10s? Well, I've got good news for you in this PDF!

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 20, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm not 100% about the Windows version, but I know that in macOS 1Password by default clears the clipboard immediately after a paste.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm not 100% about the Windows version, but I know that in macOS 1Password by default clears the clipboard immediately after a paste.

All those pw managers have clipboard clearing in Windows too. They even have it on Android.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

All those pw managers have clipboard clearing in Windows too. They even have it on Android.

If your password manager on Android is using the clipboard you should not use that password manager holy poo poo there are clipboard listeners clearing doesn't do a drat thing why would you be so dumb as to use the clipboard.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

apseudonym posted:

If your password manager on Android is using the clipboard you should not use that password manager holy poo poo there are clipboard listeners clearing doesn't do a drat thing why would you be so dumb as to use the clipboard.

Calm the hell down dude. The autofill API was only just added in 8.0.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lot of infosec folks exposing themselves as spreadsheet pushers ITT

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Calm the hell down dude. The autofill API was only just added in 8.0.

Then abuse accessibility like everyone else.

Facebook uses clipboard listeners, you are actually sending every single password to Facebook.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

apseudonym posted:

Then abuse accessibility like everyone else.

Facebook uses clipboard listeners, you are actually sending every single password to Facebook.

:thunk:

Take your meds dude, what are you even yelling about

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I like how Keepass2Android installs a custom password keyboard on your phone for the pre-autofill days. It even helps for apps that don't make use of the autofill API yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

:thunk:

Take your meds dude, what are you even yelling about

Password managers that use the clipboard?