Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

James Baud posted:

Decriminalization of all drugs is pretty easily bashed as being pro date rape

I'm sorry what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Danaru posted:

I'm sorry what

Rohypnol and the like - maybe I'm assuming they're more illegal than they are?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Decriminalizing drugs does not mean you would decriminalize date rape, jesus christ

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

James Baud posted:

Decriminalization of all drugs is pretty easily bashed as being pro date rape, I don't think there's a lot of demand for absolutism.

Goddamn what a start to a post

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The BC budget is out.

https://twitter.com/BowinnMa/status/1097992904855957504

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
New childcare benefits for families under 100k too. And MSP being eliminated next year. BCNDP is doing good.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Good effort but stop with the means testing.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

DynamicSloth posted:

Good effort but stop with the means testing.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

Decriminalizing drugs does not mean you would decriminalize date rape, jesus christ

Are you sure about that? I've heard some rumblings that the whole country of Portugal has been extremely pro date rape for the past 18 years.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DariusLikewise posted:

I didn't even attempt to imply decriminalizing date rape, I'm suggesting that by making rohypnol far safer for creeps to possess and exchange and thus far more widely available (people do already use it recreationally to an extent), the outcome to the vulnerable population is obvious.

That is to say, decriminalizing everything is pro date rape because it ... promotes it. So maybe decriminalizing everything isn't the greatest idea even if you think misc classes of drugs should be decriminalized.

Do you really think a fight on these terms wins the NDP more votes than it loses? Which one plays better as a ten second soundbyte?

This kind of blind spot reminds me of back when a bunch of goons in this thread thought the Conservatives might legalize prostitution outright because of that SCC ruling instead of going to the Swedish model like they obviously were going to do.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Are these just Deep Thoughts by James Baud or have you seen something that actually links decriminalization of drugs and increased sexual assault?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

infernal machines posted:

Are these just Deep Thoughts by James Baud or have you seen something that actually links decriminalization of drugs and increased sexual assault?

This is a comedy site you are supposed to "Yes and"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

james... bad

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
All rapists are also drug dealers, the idea of simply getting a woman far drunker than she planned to is utterly inconceivable

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

James Baud posted:

I didn't even attempt to imply decriminalizing date rape, I'm suggesting that by making rohypnol far safer for creeps to possess and exchange and thus far more widely available (people do already use it recreationally to an extent), the outcome to the vulnerable population is obvious.

That is to say, decriminalizing everything is pro date rape because it ... promotes it. So maybe decriminalizing everything isn't the greatest idea even if you think misc classes of drugs should be decriminalized.

Rohypnol is insanely rare in Canada anyways. GHB is uncommon but used somewhat and once in a while will be part of a sex assault trial. Benzos are the much more real date rape drug, and its easy to get a prescription for those. Alcohol is still the #1 by a factor of 100 though.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

James Baud posted:

Decriminalization of all drugs is pretty easily bashed as being pro date rape, I don't think there's a lot of demand for absolutism.

That all said, though, the real issue here seems more like the illicit and untrustworthy supply chains - as the state has intervened to make it harder to access legal and grey market opioids, very much screwing over the 90% of people who don't have addiction issues in the meantime?

Prescription gatekeeping and rationing around post-surgery painkillers and antibiotics is a personal pet peeve, though. Most recently experienced (for my wife) this past weekend: positive strep culture result late Friday afternoon after an appointment Thursday morning, doctor hadn't written a "just in case" Rx, screw you if you want antibiotics before Tuesday. Spoiler: her condition got a lot worse so she wasted another hour in a walk-in clinic on the weekend amidst a flood of people seeking MMR shots.

When general decriminalization of drugs is suggested, no one is seriously suggesting making every drug that exists available to the public. It's about making possession (trafficing maybe?) of certain Opioids and a handful of psychoactive drugs that people actually use/abuse. I've never heard a serious argument that general public should have access to, say, propofol. Or thousands of other drugs that aren't actually used outside of a hospital. That includes antibiotics. They are not benign.

The most obvious reason why there's no one arguing for legalizing literally everything is fentanyl. Fentanyl probably wouldn't be abused absent Opioid prohibition. It's pharmaceutical properties aren't ideal for getting high. What it has going for it is a potency per unit of volume 100 times greater than heroin. It's convenient for illicit transport and trafficing. There's no need to legalize it because if morphine and heroin were legalized, the reasons why fentanyl is attractive would vanish. This is a significant part of why making other opioids legally available would actually cause a drop in overdose deaths.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, I mean in terms of food quality Gyu-Kaku isn't anything amazing, but it's a very fun place to have a pitcher of beer with friends and grill some stuff, and they haven't served me up a bad meal ever, so reliability-wise they get a boost. I can take friends there for the first time and be reasonably sure they aren't going to gently caress up, which, after a few bad experiences with other restaurants, is increasingly important to me.

Regarding all the choices being downtown or in the beltline -- due to the piss-poor transit connections in this city, my options are basically add cab fare to the cost of going out, or don't drink, and on the nights I can drink, I'm not going to go to dinner and not drink. Still, if you have any recommendations you think I should try, I'd love to give them a shot.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 9, 2022

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

James Baud posted:

That all said, though, the real issue here seems more like the illicit and untrustworthy supply chains - as the state has intervened to make it harder to access legal and grey market opioids, very much screwing over the 90% of people who don't have addiction issues in the meantime?

Prescription gatekeeping and rationing around post-surgery painkillers and antibiotics is a personal pet peeve, though. Most recently experienced (for my wife) this past weekend: positive strep culture result late Friday afternoon after an appointment Thursday morning, doctor hadn't written a "just in case" Rx, screw you if you want antibiotics before Tuesday. Spoiler: her condition got a lot worse so she wasted another hour in a walk-in clinic on the weekend amidst a flood of people seeking MMR shots.

suddenly your off-kilter posts in the van-goons thread makes more sense - this has affected you personally, so now you care

gently caress off james bad

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
|        DE        |
|      FUND     | 
|       CBC       |
| _____| 
(\__/) || 
(•ㅅ•) || 
/   づ

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Terrible takes. Worked for Macleans and NatPo. Yep It's Canadian journalism alright

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

pictured: a "successful" "siege" of parliament

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, nobody died and dozens of dipshits have written nationally syndicated think pieces about the important lessons to be learned from this populist uprising. Pretty successful if you ask me.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pretty sad when you have a less successful siege of Parliament than Michael Zehaf-Bibeau.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Isnt this the second time those dipshits have done this too? With hilariously similar numbers of people showing up each time.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

THC posted:

pictured: a "successful" "siege" of parliament

Remember that whole lawn got packed with people one time because some women said they would go topless to protest laws about women not being allowed to go topless.

I think the CBC has become infested with a mentality of operating as a business, which leads inevitably to a culture that excludes differing viewpoints. I still believe in a not for profit media organization for a country, and that the CBC could be reformed, but it’s current aping of profit driven, agenda driven private media companies is symptom of much greater malaise in the politics around managing it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
They should have bussed in Catholic school kids to boost their numbers. That's what the March for Life does every year. Just get a thousand or so kids who want the day off school to go shopping in exchange for an hour or so on the Hill for crowd-size pics.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

well, most Catholic schools in Ontario are public. and then even if you're looking at private Catholic schools, getting teenagers to demonstrate in favour of tar sands in 2019 would be a hard sell haha. I think most Catholic pro-lifers especially ones born in the year 2003 are fairly pro-not dying from climate change

this is definitely more than any of these truck fuckers have thought about the idea though

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This reminds me of something Ive been thinking about for a bit. The Catholic schools in the Barrie area must be starving for students. Since the new year started theyve been putting out radio, newspaper and TV adds to try and encourage enrollment. I cant imagine its much different in other cities, they seem like a relic of the past that are going to die off as each new generation becomes less religious.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

god but this is so funny though. these guys saw a bunch of trucks going around in a circle in their town and it was the most impressive display they ever saw. they thought, "whoah! lets go to Ottawa and show them how many we are! UNITED WE ROLL"

then they get to parliament and they're not allowed to park their trucks on the lawn like the slobs they are. so they get out there and it's literally like 50 flabby guys in safety vests shouting themselves out of breath. because it turns out trucks are way more physically impressive than the people who drive them

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 20, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"truck fuckers" is a nice turn of phrase

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

THC posted:

well, most Catholic schools in Ontario are public. and then even if you're looking at private Catholic schools, getting teenagers to demonstrate in favour of tar sands in 2019 would be a hard sell haha. I think most Catholic pro-lifers especially ones born in the year 2003 are fairly pro-not dying from climate change

this is definitely more than any of these truck fuckers have thought about the idea though

Pro-lifers are super into dying from climate change because it means they get into heaven faster.

This dumb protest got all this press and it was made out to be this giant thing and it ended up being so pathetic. They didn't even tie up traffic that much because there weren't enough of them. At least some counter demonstrators got to tell Faith Goldy to gently caress off.

https://twitter.com/JustinBrakeNews/status/1097939059186356224

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McGavin posted:

Pretty sad when you have a less successful siege of Parliament than Michael Zehaf-Bibeau.

Jesus

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
can someone explain to me how a progressive protest in france has become a stupid redneck protest in canada

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RBC posted:

can someone explain to me how a progressive protest in france has become a stupid redneck protest in canada

the left in france is active and energetic so they're protesting the actions of their neoliberal president

the left in canada is weak and apathetic so instead, the imported prefab recognizable symbol of protest fell to the most active and energetic opponents of our neoliberal prime minister, hardcore racists

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Most of them already had the yellow vests too, and :effort:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/CBCDaveWhite/status/1097979865960046592?s=19

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I finally understand CB codes now. When the bigot trucker man said "10-20" on his CB radio he was talking about attendance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
French protests have a proven track record of overthrowing government. Canada is too lazy.

It we get people like Dougie who thinks he can shut down student protesters by saying they have filthy mouths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

French protests have a proven track record of overthrowing government. Canada is too lazy.

It we get people like Dougie who thinks he can shut down student protesters by saying they have filthy mouths.

"I'll be a strong defender of the free speech of students!"*

*no not that kind of speech