Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Here're some actual comments from some of my friends:

Sounds like they don't quite get that they can do anything, it's just that they're not guaranteed success at all except in the case of a roll, in which case it's a tug-of-war between PC and GM for who decides the fiction. Which, yeah, is kinda eh.

I'm still not sold on moves, to be quite honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I can see their point, in that a Chopper or a Hardholder only have limited moves in their playbooks and one Hardholder isn't going to have different moves than another Hardholder until they start taking advances. That ultimately means Hardholders tend to have similar tools at their disposal which is kinda true? But that doesn't mean they're the same character at all. We've got a Savvyhead in our current campaign who's a neurotic mess trying to figure out how to cast his own personal demon out of his soul but the Savvyhead in the previous campaign was a hedonistic taco-truck driving audiophile who just wanted to see the world and both of them have the same moves.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've asked this in a couple of places already, but I was wondering if anyone had printer friendly character sheets for Rhapsody of Blood. The character picture is really nice and atmospheric, but is a bit harsh on ink, plus people would probably want to put their own pictures there.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah, like, in terms of Hardholder, I've done both someone named Shark who nails major criminals to posts to leave them to die and a hippie named Smile who is high weird, high niceness, but pragmatic when necessary.

Very different, but they both fall under the general heading of "person who runs a settlement".

Still, I love PbtA, but it seems like those games aren't a good fit for this particular crowd.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Angrymog posted:

I've asked this in a couple of places already, but I was wondering if anyone had printer friendly character sheets for Rhapsody of Blood. The character picture is really nice and atmospheric, but is a bit harsh on ink, plus people would probably want to put their own pictures there.

I've updated the download page with a few options for you: https://ufopress.co.uk/downloads/

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

You're awesome, thank you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone ever try running old (and new) D&D modules in a PbtA game? Given what they do, it sounds like you could only ever do that in Dungeon World, and I don’t know if the MC rules would conflict with the modules somehow.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone ever try running old (and new) D&D modules in a PbtA game? Given what they do, it sounds like you could only ever do that in Dungeon World, and I don’t know if the MC rules would conflict with the modules somehow.

It's more that D&D modules use D&D logic, and Dungeon World is the hack for doing D&D logic? (Fellowship is more for LotR logic, I think.)

Using a module for inspiration is a great idea, as long as:

- it can be rewritten as a front with a collection of dangers and countdowns to pressure the PCs forward
- whatever keyed maps exist are understood not as the dungeon frozen in time until it stops being occluded from the PCs, but the starting state of the dungeon, which will respond to the PCs

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pssh, that’s totally doable. You can even just add your own Fronts if the module doesn’t have forces like those.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pollyanna posted:

I haven't done it, but I think the old UK1-3 (which starts with "UK-1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh") would be loving hilarious as a PbtA/DW game. It's essentially already a series of related Fronts/clocks, and the locations are less about going to a specific numbered room than they are about figuring out just WTF is going on. The general story arc plays havoc on the stereotypical murder-hobo and my guess is that it would lead to some fantastic "Aw, poo poo" moments.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Pollyanna posted:

Sounds like they don't quite get that they can do anything, it's just that they're not guaranteed success at all except in the case of a roll, in which case it's a tug-of-war between PC and GM for who decides the fiction. Which, yeah, is kinda eh.

I'm still not sold on moves, to be quite honest.

In the week I asked on the PbtA reddit what would happen if an Act Under Pressure move was applied with a PC taking an action that - unknown to them - wouldn’t actually help with the pressure, and would actually make it worse.

The answer was that Act Under Pressure wouldn’t trigger if the entire narrative - not just the PCs action - didn’t fit the description. Which makes sense but makes the move names a bit confusing. Like, you can investigate to find out the answer to a question that’s not on the investigation list, but it’s not the Investigate A Mystery move if you do, even though you’re investigating a mystery.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

In the week I asked on the PbtA reddit what would happen if an Act Under Pressure move was applied with a PC taking an action that - unknown to them - wouldn’t actually help with the pressure, and would actually make it worse.

The answer was that Act Under Pressure wouldn’t trigger if the entire narrative - not just the PCs action - didn’t fit the description. Which makes sense but makes the move names a bit confusing. Like, you can investigate to find out the answer to a question that’s not on the investigation list, but it’s not the Investigate A Mystery move if you do, even though you’re investigating a mystery.

What, like they go grab a fire extinguisher but somebody filled it with gasoline?

Assuming it's in-theme with the monster's schtick it's probably still be Act Under Pressure, but to take action in that horrid pit-of-the-stomach moment to stop yourself from making things worse.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Glazius posted:

What, like they go grab a fire extinguisher but somebody filled it with gasoline?

Something like that, although my understanding would be that the GM isn't really expected to have pre-decided which fire extinguishers have been filled with what, and that therefore introducing that one is full of gasoline after it has been used to put out a fire would be a GM hard move which it would be a push to apply to a failed Act Under Fire.

The example I thought of was barricading a door to prevent the Monster getting in (which is one of the examples of that move in MotW), but with the PCs being unaware that the monster can pass through walls. The PCs still can't, so making the barricade secure is just nailing their own coffin shut. I did consider the same as the above - that if the monster passing through walls hadn't been previously introduced then the player rolling a success on barricading the door as AoF would mean that now the monster doesn't have that ability after all - but it does seem that the monster's capabilities are supposed to be further pre-planned.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think in that case I'd probably just tell them straight-up. In general I think PBTA games play best with pretty "open" information, as it becomes relevant; "announce future badness" and similar moves exist for a reason, and threats are allowed to have hard move triggers. If your PCs are running into a minefield, someone should go first and explode so they know that instead of just suckering them (or have a "WARNING! MINES" sign, or whatever).

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The game has to follow the fiction; trying something that not just doesn't work but can't work because of the monster's capabilities, or because of the environment, isn't going to trigger a move to see how well it goes any more than "I'm going to cook some spaghetti, hopefully the monster is afraid of spaghetti" would.

...Unless it's reasonable that the monster is afraid of spaghetti.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

hyphz posted:

The example I thought of was barricading a door to prevent the Monster getting in (which is one of the examples of that move in MotW), but with the PCs being unaware that the monster can pass through walls. The PCs still can't, so making the barricade secure is just nailing their own coffin shut. I did consider the same as the above - that if the monster passing through walls hadn't been previously introduced then the player rolling a success on barricading the door as AoF would mean that now the monster doesn't have that ability after all - but it does seem that the monster's capabilities are supposed to be further pre-planned.

In PbtA you don't plan what will happen, but you do work on prep and stick to it - if you've written down the monster as something that can pass through walls, it can pass through walls regardless of what the players do or roll. I'd probably say something like "As you take a look out to see how close it's getting you notice it just passes through the debris on the way - it must be incorporeal, which means the barricade isn't going to help. What do you do?" A harder move (for if they miss or for some reason don't do anything about what you just said) would be "The monster just walks right through the walls and begins attacking you, what do you do?"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

Heck, I probably wouldn't even change what they were rolling. You start getting the barricade going and then surprise! Monster face phasing through the door. This was actually an Act Under Pressure to see if you could tear down the barricade and still get away from the monster. Hope you didn't get a 7-9!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah, in that case, or in the gasoline fire extinguisher case, when the player decides to barricade the door or use the extinguisher, instead of having them roll dice use a soft move to tell them that they see the monster's hand reaching through the wall or that the extinguisher smells oddly of gasoline or whatever. Then they can not do that thing, or if they do it anyway then welp I guess they gently caress up don't they.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RudeCat posted:

I'll be running this for the first time in a couple of weeks too so although I don't have any input I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you and your group!

So we ran session 0 last Friday. I was expecting it would take maybe about 4 hours to get through all of it. What ended up happening was it took us 6 and a half hours, and by the end of it I was exhausted (So exhausted I basically quickly wrapped up the "Day in the Life" because I had to get to bed and get up for work in less than 7 hours).

It went alright for the most part. Definitely follow the order of events that the book lays out, and expect character creation to be the longest part. I had told the players ahead of time the general gist of City of Mist and to think of some character concepts, god only knows how long that would have taken if I hadn't told them that until the last minute. Character creation took the longest, and a lot of it was having to explain and go into detail how the power tags work, and how your power tags are made up of questions that you answer.

Someone in this thread told me to be on the lookout for broad tags, and I'm glad they did. There were quite a few times I had to have them narrow down a tag because it was way too broad.

The biggest mistake I made was mixing up player moves, and not rereading how statuses worked. I was having them use "Go Toe to Toe" instead of "Hit With All You've Got" for stuff where they were directly attacking stuff, and using their power tags as the amount of "damage" they were dishing out. And I knew in the moment it didn't sound right, but again, it was almost 6 hours in and I was wanting to get it wrapped up.

Overall, I think I learned quite a bit from it, and I'm excited to dive back in later this week. I definitely am giving the rules one more read though, just to be sure. I hope your game goes well once you run it!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Someone on the UFO Press discord wanted a Rhapsody of Blood castle that limited explorer's movement a bit more than standard. As I've sometimes wanted the core game to scratch that Dark Souls-y shortcut-finding itch, I put together this:

Castle Lockdown
When the castle emerged this generation, it was closely defended.
When you pick Breach options, only the first one is available from the mortal world. Each subsequent Breach leads from one of the Wards already described to a new ward; you may only move between wards along these routes (spending 2 Travel the Labyrinth hold as usual).
When you defeat an Acolyte, the player who struck the killing blow can draw a new route between this ward and either another ward or the world outside.

I'd be interested in putting together other 'mutators' on how the castle works, to make each generation's incursion a little different. Any suggestions?

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
So where's the Sid Meier Alpha Centauri hack for Legacy: Life Among the Ruins, @Flavirius ?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

lessavini posted:

So where's the Sid Meier Alpha Centauri hack for Legacy: Life Among the Ruins, @Flavirius ?

I mean, Katherine was 100% aiming for Alpha Centuari soooo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Related: will that persona hack of Rhapsody be ready by september?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Related: will that persona hack of Rhapsody be ready by september?

I'd like it to at least be playable by then, yeah. Our next kickstarter is a crystalpunk fantasy adaptation of Legacy, so that will take up a lot of my brainspace, but Voidheart Symphony is definitely something I want to return to soon.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Before I read all 67 pages of this thread (which I'm happy to do): is this a thread for discussing Spire and other "descended" from the Apocalypse games?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CitizenKeen posted:

Before I read all 67 pages of this thread (which I'm happy to do): is this a thread for discussing Spire and other "descended" from the Apocalypse games?

You might call them...Post-Apocalypse.

I'll show myself out

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Spire has apparently gotten its own toolkit for making descendant games on that note, the Resistance toolbox. https://rowanrookanddecard.com/resistance-toolbox-now-available/

And there's a Cyberpunk hack in the works based on that. https://mobile.twitter.com/IronsparkSyris/status/1075182970800037888

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

unseenlibrarian posted:

Spire has apparently gotten its own toolkit for making descendant games on that note, the Resistance toolbox. https://rowanrookanddecard.com/resistance-toolbox-now-available/

And there's a Cyberpunk hack in the works based on that. https://mobile.twitter.com/IronsparkSyris/status/1075182970800037888

Oh, I know. I'm just trying to figure out the thread to bring it up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CitizenKeen posted:

Oh, I know. I'm just trying to figure out the thread to bring it up.

It's time for a Spire/Resistance thread.

Not it !

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

mllaneza posted:

It's time for a Spire/Resistance thread.

Not it !

Oh man, that requires a whole introduction to the game / line, bordering on F&F, huh? Okay, I'll get on it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Good Society kicks rear end

If you want to see well-designed tools for establishing tone, it’s probably the queen of that

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Flavivirus posted:

I'd like it to at least be playable by then, yeah. Our next kickstarter is a crystalpunk fantasy adaptation of Legacy, so that will take up a lot of my brainspace, but Voidheart Symphony is definitely something I want to return to soon.

I really wanna be able to play Voidheart Symphony with the kids at the Teen RPG program I work at next semester, so great!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Anyone else backed Comrades yet? I started mapping out a campaign where you play italian communists in 1944 bashing the fash because Bella Ciao is such a good loving song.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I ran it yesterday and I would love to play it. Every playbook is so good and so distinct.

Using a starting move to decrease a stat to increase another one is also an interesting angle.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Yikes, 2-Armor in Urban Shadows sure is a different beast than 2-Armor in Dungeon World (which I knew, I've just been running DW for a long time).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Yikes, 2-Armor in Urban Shadows sure is a different beast than 2-Armor in Dungeon World (which I knew, I've just been running DW for a long time).

Yeah, Dungeon World gives you the super wrong impression about the role of violence and harm in similar games, because the D&D pastiche's treatment of violence and harm is very disjoint from reality.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I had trouble reconciling DW armor with PbtA style Cause Harm. Damage never felt significant.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This isn't relevant to DW, but I've considered an alternate armor system where the rating of armor decreases by 1 every time it prevents Harm, and is assumed to be repaired when the fiction says you'd have the time and means to do so. Thoughts?

My only reason for doing this is to lessen the value of heavy armor in games with more retro inspirations. Snake and Trash didn't wear Kevlar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just don’t wanna think about armor at all. Or an inventory, for that matter. That poo poo’s such a pain to track. It works if it’s just some wild and crazy artifacts or an important signet ring or some plot token, but I don’t wanna play mental inventory Tetris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

I'm currently testing a system where your outfit has tags, and some of those tags protect against some kind of harm. For example, a rugged coat protects against terrible weather. If you use it to absorb harm, you just strike out that tag and it's no longer fictionally relevant. It's working pretty well at providing that ablative feel without being too bean-county.