Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It’s also extra confusing because Herbert wrote different interpretations of the religion taking into account the characters writing the history. So like if that analysis of Paul’s religion is by a religious person they interpret his prophecy as metaphysical even if Paul was just manipulating the missionary protectiva. Its kind of genius of Herbert to create a situation where it could be either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

D. Ebdrup posted:

Paul was also explicitly trained by his mother in all manner of ways, so it's not unreasonable to assume he knew BG manipulated religions and took advantage of that to grasp the Desert Power that his father spoke of, after Atreides been made into a guerilla house, after the "sleeper had awakened".
He didn't know that at the time he got the bible. His prescience didn't start to really ramp up until the ornithopter chase in the desert, and he mentions it to Jessica in the tent which freaks her right the gently caress out because it's one of the BG's most closely held secrets. She didn't tell him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Atriedes loyalty seems more like the radical idea of 'be nice to the little people and they'll appreciate it' which is obviously a big contrast to the Harkonnens. It's a bit funny in that it's often approached cynically in a bit of a 'bread and circuses' fashion, but it's just good advice that good PR reaps dividends.

I think the OCB and associated religion is treated much like real-life major religion in that there's tons of different interpretations, factions and movements, with the Fremen being a related but distinct faith that becomes very much its own thing with the arrival of Muad'Dib (being the Mohammed analogy here, among other things). That and the Empire was fairly tolerant of religious diversity as long as they didn't make trouble, while the Fremen Jihadis very much weren't. And it's implied (or outright stated) the BG deliberately take advantage of such local religious developments and direct them to have narratives that future BG know and can take advantage of.

Kind of the point was that nobody, including the BG and the Empire, and Kynes who was all too aware of it, could be prepared for the emergence of an actual messiah prophet.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Atriedes loyalty seems more like the radical idea of 'be nice to the little people and they'll appreciate it' which is obviously a big contrast to the Harkonnens. It's a bit funny in that it's often approached cynically in a bit of a 'bread and circuses' fashion, but it's just good advice that good PR reaps dividends.

They also weren't out to wring every drop of natural resources out of the biosphere as quickly as possible or anything, though their fortune was based on exporting natural resources like rice, fish and water. They very clearly represent Herbert's own views on sustainable natural resource use in contrast with the Harkonnens and their Corrino backers.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

space jews

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

dook leetoh

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
The point of Paul being given the OC Bible was that it was part of his Mentat training.
The great houses themselves are pretty secular.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It does seem significant that the Corrino prince in Children of Dune iirc actually seeks to embrace the religion of Muad'Dib to better understand it. Funny thing is the Corrinos actually seem pretty cool, just usually in way over their heads when it comes to Arrakis.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Edison was a dick posted:

The point of Paul being given the OC Bible was that it was part of his Mentat training.
The great houses themselves are pretty secular.

Eh, certain philosophies from it have dug in pretty deep. The computing prohibition is an OC bible decree and the characters all deeply and genuinely believe it's Right.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It does seem significant that the Corrino prince in Children of Dune iirc actually seeks to embrace the religion of Muad'Dib to better understand it. Funny thing is the Corrinos actually seem pretty cool, just usually in way over their heads when it comes to Arrakis.

I thought that was his mom getting the Captain of the Sardukar to fake embrace it, but he got REALLLLLY into it and it rubbed off on the Corrino prince.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

All this talk of religions reminds me that there's one of the appendicies that actually cover what came to be the Orange Catholic Bible, I'm just not sure it's a smart idea to reproduce it here so I'll simply go ahead and suggest that all of you should read that for more information on the in-universe explanation for why the precepts of the Butlerian Jihad came to be in a religious text.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Is that one where it says something along the lines of "there's something so important in the development of religion that it can only be written this way:
S P A C E T R A V E L !"
Cos it's a fairly jarring change of tone (albeit pretty funny)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
S P I C E T R A V E L

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Here it is guys, here is the reason for @duneauthor's insistence on writing his lovely books.

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1097241595873640448

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tree Bucket posted:

Is that one where it says something along the lines of "there's something so important in the development of religion that it can only be written this way:
S P A C E T R A V E L !"
Cos it's a fairly jarring change of tone (albeit pretty funny)

I found it, here:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Here it is guys, here is the reason for @duneauthor's insistence on writing his lovely books.

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1097241595873640448
Ah yes, the Trump gambit.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Orange(Protestant)-Catholic Bible

While the introduction of the bible at the right time helped Paul become Paul-Muad'dib, I dont think it was a part of his mentant training. Didnt yooie give it to him on the dl?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Orange(Protestant)-Catholic Bible

While the introduction of the bible at the right time helped Paul become Paul-Muad'dib, I dont think it was a part of his mentant training. Didnt yooie give it to him on the dl?

When Paul's prescience is kicking off and he's realizing he's been trained to be a mentat one of the things that twigs him in is "exposure to the OC bible at a critical moment"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

They outright tell paul he's been trained as a mentat because he can't proceed without being told first.

his mom and dad just bring it up and are like hey ya, we've been training you as a mentat on the DL and now you've got a choice to make

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Yeah Paul might mention the OC bible as shocking him into higher awareness at some point but I think Yueh actually giving it to him was an impulse, right after he does so he has a bit of inner monologue where he wonders if he gave it to him out of guilt IIRC.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The thing that Herbert didn't even realize is that the Tleilaxu are decedents of incels.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

Eh, certain philosophies from it have dug in pretty deep. The computing prohibition is an OC bible decree and the characters all deeply and genuinely believe it's Right.

Yeah, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a “Thou Shalt Not Kill” situation, where it’s a commandment from a religious text and also something that’s generally agreed on as a good idea otherwise.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Remember that the name, Orange-catholic, was meant to be a shortcut to readers to signify an omni-religion. I am positive that if it was written today, it's name would be closer to Islamic-christianity. About a 3rd of the quotes from the books are directly lifted from the Qur'an. "From water does all life begin" one of the most important, for example.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So was Ix originally supposed to be Pluto? I assumed it due to the mystery of surrounding the planet and the name based only on a corrupted Roman numeral when I first read the books many years ago. Google tells me KJA/BH gave it a different name later.

I liked the idea of quarantining advanced technological research to a distant planet that you can just nuke if you accidentally invent Skynet, but I can't remember if this was supported at all by the text.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They have long since moved on from this solar system when Ix came around.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah I don't see the sense in it being Pluto when there are so many colonized worlds that presumably didn't have to be terraformed.

The light speed limitation is practically the same whether you're jumping one solar system or across the universe.

Is it ever explicitly stated that space folding happened first before any substantial colonization?

I mean none of it really holds up when 1/10 jumps resulted in destruction before the discovery of spice, but I guess this is a universe where divine providence arguably exists for real.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
They talk about a 'ghost ship' of pre-guild legend and compare them to atreides forces on arrakis, but don't specify whether they are pre-holtzman.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ix's origins doesn't get a lot of explanation until KJA and BH got their idiot hands on it. I choose to ignore everything those two ever wrote.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

kiimo posted:

Ix's origins doesn't get a lot of explanation until KJA and BH got their idiot hands on it. I choose to ignore everything those two ever wrote.

This is the no-@duneauthor zone after all. Some of the first prequels and the new sequels have elements I can believe came from notes but most of it is invented.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

kiimo posted:

The thing that Herbert didn't even realize is that the Tleilaxu are decedents of incels.

They're more volcels since they wilfully choose not to gently caress and instead turn their women into loving horrible incubators.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BONGHITZ posted:

dook leetoh

d3wk 1337-0

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

kiimo posted:

I thought the name being Roman numerals came from the Dune encyclopedia.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Leto II says something along the lines of "if they only knew the name of their planet was just a corrupted terran number" in god emperor

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Messiah (I think?). Yeah, we know Ix is called Ix because it's the ninth planet of its system.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 20, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dave Dastmalchian joins the cast of Dune as Piter!!

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Leto II mentions it too, but in Children:

But that too would change as lx had changed. For they were merely the ninth planet of their sun, and had even forgotten the language which had given them their name.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

kiimo posted:

nice

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doesn't Leto II spend a lot of time persecuting historians for being poo poo at their jobs?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't Leto II spend a lot of time persecuting historians for being poo poo at their jobs?

He only really had a go at ones that were deliberately misrepresenting, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

Coco will make a great Piter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbgXo3CHJ2I