Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Jose posted:

she was chair of labour friends of israel and lmao

speaking of chairs, all these party resignations are the most furniture rearranging on the Titanic thing ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
When Ankh-Morpork decides that foreigners aren't welcome any more, Moist must navigate the intricacies of diplomacy with 27 countries at once!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax posted:

anti-Zionist antisemitism

basically all Orthodox Jewish people are anti-semitic then

lol

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

if you put two jews in a room youll end up with five antisemitisms

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Holding the knife to his neck, Vetinari smirked and gloated "Now I've got you where I want you"

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Farm Frenzy posted:

if you put two jews in a room youll end up with five antisemitisms

This joke is antisemitic

twoday
May 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

speaking of chairs, all these party resignations are the most furniture rearranging on the Titanic thing ever

No no, this is the time to have this discussion, rather than focusing on the looming food and medicine crisis because

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

An insane mind posted:

Oh sorry, I'm just so used to my own governmental system with all the little parties going for their own thing. When I vote, I think I know I'm voting for a completely left-wing or right-wing (or god forbid centrist) party. The hemming and hawing only comes when they try to create a government.

congrats on your functional government

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

its more fun our way because after the election you get a fun surprise to see what the parties will actually stand for

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWkTQvlnDTI

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to know about the real extent of the anti-semitism problem in Labour, read this:

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/blog/antisemitism-no-justification-for-singling-out-labour/

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I don't understand this antisemitic thing. It's all cooked up right? Based on that article just posted. And perhaps Corbyn isn't a fan of Isreal? But I always thought Israel was bad because of the genocide of Palestinians and sniping children. Right? Or are they actually good?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

I don't understand this antisemitic thing. It's all cooked up right? Based on that article just posted. And perhaps Corbyn isn't a fan of Isreal? But I always thought Israel was bad because of the genocide of Palestinians and sniping children. Right? Or are they actually good?

actually theyre very good for britain. see:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1000624921255579649

twoday
May 4, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

This scandal began when it came to light that Corbyn visited a group of very leftist Jewish students who are anti-zionist and opposed to the state of Israel in its current form, to celebrate a Jewish high holiday with them. These people were opposed to the current system of Israeli government and thus (according to many) they were inherently antisemitic (despite being Jews themselves), and thus also made Corbyn antisemitic by proxy.

As far as I know, Corbyn has not said anything against Jews, and the whole controversy stems from an incident when he went to celebrate a Jewish holiday with (leftist) Jews, and his mere presence there was enough to trigger a cascade of criticism ever since, from Jews who are further to the right than the Jews he spent the Jewish holiday with.

The trope of "Corbyn Anti-semitism" has become so established in the media as a thing that nobody dares discuss what it refers to. Someone (even hamprince) correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that Corbyn actually said anything antisemitic ever. Maybe he has, but I don't know of it. If he did, I would love to hear it so that I can disavow him.

But as far as I can tell it seems to be a conflation of antisemitism (which is unacceptable) with criticism of the Israeli state (which should be possible in a way that is not antisemitic)

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

huge if true:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Imagine if Terry Pratchett was still alive, I can only imagine his take on Brexit.

The Patrician would never have let it happen.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The ship's hanger is pretty goddamned big from when I was onboard on Friday, as I think she's been designed to be some sort of hybrid amphibious landing dock if required. But yeah, she has no planes and so my wander around the flightdeck just consisted of looking around Portsmouth Harbour and thinking "actually, I'm quite high up here". There's also a liveried Jaguar in the hanger (apparently) that was a gift to the captain, should we need a projectile to hurl at the Chinese as a peace offering

Holy lol, you haven't received any of your F-35B's yet?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

twoday posted:

This scandal began when it came to light that Corbyn visited a group of very leftist Jewish students who are anti-zionist and opposed to the state of Israel in its current form, to celebrate a Jewish high holiday with them. These people were opposed to the current system of Israeli government and thus (according to many) they were inherently antisemitic (despite being Jews themselves), and thus also made Corbyn antisemitic by proxy.

As far as I know, Corbyn has not said anything against Jews, and the whole controversy stems from an incident when he went to celebrate a Jewish holiday with (leftist) Jews, and his mere presence there was enough to trigger a cascade of criticism ever since, from Jews who are further to the right than the Jews he spent the Jewish holiday with.

The trope of "Corbyn Anti-semitism" has become so established in the media as a thing that nobody dares discuss what it refers to. Someone (even hamprince) correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that Corbyn actually said anything antisemitic ever. Maybe he has, but I don't know of it. If he did, I would love to hear it so that I can disavow him.

But as far as I can tell it seems to be a conflation of antisemitism (which is unacceptable) with criticism of the Israeli state (which should be possible in a way that is not antisemitic)

Corbs also liked a deeply unfortunate political mural on Facebook like 5 years ago.

That's it, seriously. There's no real epidemic of anti-Semitism in Labour, especially compared to the other political parties out there. The few actual cases are like the same 4-5 old cranks and a bunch of local level idiots, both of which are given a good slap when it happens, and the rest is pro-Palestine/anti-Zionist sentiments being spun as being anti-Semitic.

The entire thing is a irritatingly enduring cudgel to beat a resurgent Left with, as the average voter has no idea about I/P, the slightly more informed centrist libs get to flex their performative wokeness and the swivel-eyed actual bigots in the Tories/UKIP get a smokescreen to distract from their own parties being riven with far more pervasive and aggressive racism of every stripe.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

The whole idea that being anti-zionist is antisemitic, is predicated on the notion that if you don't believe Israel has the right to exist as a Jewish state then ipso facto you're antisemitic. So if Jews are entitled to rule in Israel by either God's covenant, or because you think they deserve it as reparations for the Holocaust then you can't criticize Israel for apartheid. Zionist liberals will cry and moan about daring to call it "apartheid," but they already believe Jews have a right to treat Palestinians as second class citizens and non-persons because the country is theirs to do with as they will.

Under this framework it's impossible to criticise Israel, because the kind of reforms that would elevate Palestinians to equal status with Jews would overthrow the essentially Jewish character of the Israeli state.

SteelMentor posted:

Corbs also liked a deeply unfortunate political mural on Facebook like 5 years ago.

That's it, seriously. There's no real epidemic of anti-Semitism in Labour, especially compared to the other political parties out there. The few actual cases are like the same 4-5 old cranks and a bunch of local level idiots, both of which are given a good slap when it happens, and the rest is pro-Palestine/anti-Zionist sentiments being spun as being anti-Semitic.

It's not enough to just denounce and discipline antisemitism as it pops up, you also have to regularly reiterate your unconditional support for Israel in whatever it does. Anything less than complete deference to the Israeli government is antisemitic.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Feb 20, 2019

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

lol the follow up question makes such a good point

twoday
May 4, 2005

Ok, well I was just checking in and I am glad to see that all is as I thought. That is, not actually antisemitic. There are no Jews dying from anything that Corbyn did. Even if there weren't people dying yet per se, I would still consider it worthy of discussion. Antisemitism is unacceptable, and must be stamped out. These problems must be resolved. Yet, I must say that with 38 days remaining, discussing this instead of Brexit is absolutely loving stupid.

Nobody is dying because of that mural. Nobody is dying because of that dinner. People will die because of brexit in less than 2 months. Let's postpone the debate about theoretical antisemitism until april, please, and discuss the less sexy topic of logistics operations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Imagine that you were in the Soviet Union, 2 months before everything was abut to collapse, devoting all of your time to debating whether the Estonions were Scandanavian or rather fell into the Baltic cultural subclade

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://press.princeton.edu/titles/8102.html

twoday
May 4, 2005

loving ordered

wait, what, baloogan??!?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i'm still hypernormalized

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

twoday posted:

Imagine that you were in the Soviet Union, 2 months before everything was abut to collapse, devoting all of your time to debating whether the Estonions were Scandanavian or rather fell into the Baltic cultural subclade

One day...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

twoday posted:

Ok, well I was just checking in and I am glad to see that all is as I thought. That is, not actually antisemitic. There are no Jews dying from anything that Corbyn did. Even if there weren't people dying yet per se, I would still consider it worthy of discussion. Antisemitism is unacceptable, and must be stamped out. These problems must be resolved. Yet, I must say that with 38 days remaining, discussing this instead of Brexit is absolutely loving stupid.

Nobody is dying because of that mural. Nobody is dying because of that dinner. People will die because of brexit in less than 2 months. Let's postpone the debate about theoretical antisemitism until april, please, and discuss the less sexy topic of logistics operations.

thats the best part. its something for the elites to obsess over to take their minds off the impending and entirely avoidable catastrophe. retreating to a parallel universe totally detached from reality is much easier than deaing with the problems that actually exist

twoday
May 4, 2005

It’s all a circus

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/CraigMurrayOrg/status/1097993431320797191

:buddy:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

craig murray lmao

he's a salisbury truther

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wow cool i guess the video is fake then, thanks

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

craig murray lmao

he's a salisbury truther

Still engaging in better faith than this poundshop Pissflaps

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't believe the raging antisemite corbyn didn't vote for this

https://twitter.com/carolinejmolloy/status/1098150171723091969

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Jose posted:

I can't believe the raging antisemite corbyn didn't vote for this

https://twitter.com/carolinejmolloy/status/1098150171723091969

good to know jezza is at least willing to stand up for those british jews who *checks notes* joined ISIS

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

you know, uh... uh... *effort visible on my face as I try refer to anybody who isn't white without using whatever horrific racial epithet I casually say every day in safe company* a funny tinge

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
We are pulling back after 100% Caliphate victory!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

JFairfax posted:

If you want to know about the real extent of the anti-semitism problem in Labour, read this:

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/blog/antisemitism-no-justification-for-singling-out-labour/

quote:

What is the reality of antisemitism in the Labour Party today?

I had noted some time ago[3] that a survey into on-line antisemitic abuse had failed to pick up even a fraction those 25,000 abusive messages that Ruth Smeeth MP claimed to have received, and which, she implied, were mostly antisemitic and Jeremy Corbyn’s fault. As before the question was not whether Ruth Smeeth had been the victim of some terrible abuse, but in reality how much, and specifically how much from Labour members?

Yet two other prospective surveys indicated that whilst BAME MPs and Corbyn-supporting MPs got the heaviest abuse, Jewish MPs seemed to be relatively spared.

What a fuckin' surprise. What an absolute fuckin' shocker.

Turns out racism is actually about having a "funny" skin tint

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

420 Gank Mid posted:

What a fuckin' surprise. What an absolute fuckin' shocker.

Turns out racism is actually about having a "funny" skin tint

When there was a investigation of how MPs are attacked online they had to give Dianne Abbott her own category because she receives about 1/3 of it herself.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

namesake posted:

When there was a investigation of how MPs are attacked online they had to give Dianne Abbott her own category because she receives about 1/3 of it herself.

didn't they straight up exclude her from the results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

exmarx posted:

didn't they straight up exclude her from the results

Yeah they did