Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I hope we get a sequel because I want to see Ed Norton doing his best James Cameron impression as Nova. Seriousl, with the goggles, he looked like Cameron with with a mullet and I loved it

Oh my god, I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering when did Cameron shave his beard? It's why I was blown when Norton took the glasses off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I also wonder why they kept calling him Nova instead of Desty Nova.
Possibly for clarity. I imagine part of why Makaku was renamed instead of simply having the... less friendly aspects removed was that Makaku sounds vaguely obscene/offensive/like "MA COCK" if you're saying it quickly. Similarly part of why they called him Dyson instead of Daisuke Ido is because it would have seemed strange to give a Japanese name to an Austrian man.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Nova sounds cool. Desty does not. Sounds like testes. TESTES NOVA

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Eternal light

These gravely digs of mine will show on UV light

And don't forget my flan

You know the flan thing makes perfect sense if and when there's a sequel considering that Zalem/scrap iron city seem to be situated in central Mexico rather than KCMO.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Nessus posted:

Possibly for clarity. I imagine part of why Makaku was renamed instead of simply having the... less friendly aspects removed was that Makaku sounds vaguely obscene/offensive/like "MA COCK" if you're saying it quickly. Similarly part of why they called him Dyson instead of Daisuke Ido is because it would have seemed strange to give a Japanese name to an Austrian man.

Which is funny because in Japanese naming standards his first name is Ido.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Toshimo posted:

As someone who never saw it: Was Dark Angel any good?

Noooooope. The first season was aggressively mediocre in a way that only a sub-CW early-aughts show could possibly manage.

The second season added animal-people and was good for approximately four episodes and then they added a eugenics-based breeding-cult antagonist and it got so bad that not even the combination of the words "Jessica Alba" and "Breeding Cult" could save it.

It was worse than Dollhouse.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tormented posted:

Which is funny because in Japanese naming standards his first name is Ido.

:catstare: in 日本

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

It's another Blue Oyster Cult reference, like Zapan's face scar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7h4VEd_Wk

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's another Blue Oyster Cult reference, like Zapan's face scar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7h4VEd_Wk

lol jesus how didn't i put that together

don't look at meeeeeeeee

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nessus posted:

You know the flan thing makes perfect sense if and when there's a sequel considering that Zalem/scrap iron city seem to be situated in central Mexico rather than KCMO.

Did they make this obvious in the movie? I just figure the vegetation was typical it's the future stuff is way overgrown kind of stuff. The city itself was always a mish mash of dense city reference shots like you can see the Florence Cathedral duomo/etc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

lol jesus how didn't i put that together

don't look at meeeeeeeee

Later on, in the manga sequel, Alita gets a new body called "Imaginos".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Did they make this obvious in the movie? I just figure the vegetation was typical it's the future stuff is way overgrown kind of stuff. The city itself was always a mish mash of dense city reference shots like you can see the Florence Cathedral duomo/etc.
Looked like old architecture in Mexico in general and a lot of signs were primarily Spanish. The trip out of the city looked like central American rainforest to me, at least. There are certainly big stone cathedrals in Mexico...

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Iron City was primarily designed after Panama City, idea being that it would need to be along the equator for a space elevator

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

Malkaku was named-changed in the OVA as well. In the OVA, He was changed to Grewcica and now Grewtiska.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Toshimo posted:

As someone who never saw it: Was Dark Angel any good?

It's great if you're a fan of Jessica Alba looking mopey

And hanging out with her future overbearing older creeper boyfriend.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
As a movie this wasn't anything super ground breaking or amazing but as a Battle Angel Alita adaption it was great and I loving loved it. Exactly what I wanted.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Young Freud posted:

I'm surprised we didn't get cyborg Danny Trejo.
I saw the movie again tonight and I was actively looking for him this time! Guess that means we might get him if a sequel goes ahead.

I took a old buddy to see it tonight, who saw the original anime when it came out, and he agreed this movie rules as an adaptation. He headed home to read the comics again on comixology.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mecha posted:

I saw the movie again tonight and I was actively looking for him this time! Guess that means we might get him if a sequel goes ahead.

I took a old buddy to see it tonight, who saw the original anime when it came out, and he agreed this movie rules as an adaptation. He headed home to read the comics again on comixology.
Machete the Armblessed

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Saw it this past Sunday. Loved it.
Battle Angel Alita and Last Order are still the only manga I've bothered to read. Absolutely adored BAA when I read it... uh, a decade ago, give or take a year.

I saw the film with my fiancée who has had no prior exposure to Alita, and she really liked it too.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

CheddarGoblin posted:

Iron City was primarily designed after Panama City, idea being that it would need to be along the equator for a space elevator

They mention the fact that the City is a mix-up of people from all over the old word, but there is definitely a central&south american feeling to it in the main set pieces (IE: Ido's shop signs are in English and Spanish, the bounty hunter's bar looks like a saloon, etc). I assume that was done to make the "multiple cultures mixing up" point feel more natural to the American audience, compared to the usual Pan-Americeurasia feeling other traditional cyberpunk settings go for.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

Machete the Armblessed

Jesus Christ, as much as I want that now, I do want more cyborgs that have a mask for a face in a sequel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Danny Trejo should play Zekka.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

For anyone that's planning to see Alita, the 3D didn't add much to the film imo. 2D is the optimum viewing experience.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I read this manga when it first came out like 25 years ago. I heard James Cameron wanted to make it after Terminator 2 / True Lies and I was freaking out and then he decided to go make loving Titantic and then Avatar. He was never going to loving make it. I didn't think it would ever come out.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It had some weird cuts / script issues that pulled me out of the movie but the action sequences were cool, and all the bosses and hunters were cool. I decided to not reread it before I went and saw it, but I swear in the manga the professor dies early on and Alita uses his hammer and she has jet packs and all kinds of cool poo poo. I don't remember the murderball games or whatever. I'll have to go back and give it another read.

It was good. I'll watch it again when it comes on HBO. I don't think I should have had to wait 25 loving years for this though. Jesus christ.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Philthy posted:

I decided to not reread it before I went and saw it, but I swear in the manga the professor dies early on and Alita uses his hammer and she has jet packs and all kinds of cool poo poo.

I think your thinking of another manga but I want to read that manga now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Philthy posted:

I don't remember the murderball games or whatever. I'll have to go back and give it another read.

Your history is definitely hazy. Motorball was all of volumes 3 and 4. Did you stop reading after the first two books? lol.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Later on she does get a bunch of cool toys but no jetpack. There is one of her dupes with a big wing-suit and gun though?

I saw it in Imax 3d and I don't think the 3d was BAD but yeah it didn't really add anything incredible. Gonna try to convince some of my friends to go see it this weekend so I can go again...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah that's what I meant. It's not bad 3D, but it's not "wow" 3D either. Avatar and the first HTTYD film remain the only two films to have genuinely wow'd my rear end off in the theater when I saw them in 3D.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

teagone posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. It's not bad 3D, but it's not "wow" 3D either. Avatar and the first HTTYD film remain the only two films to have genuinely wow'd my rear end off in the theater when I saw them in 3D.
I loved Dr. Strange in 3D, and I usually don't care about 3D.

Agree that the 3D for Alita neither help nor hurt the film.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

teagone posted:

For anyone that's planning to see Alita, the 3D didn't add much to the film imo. 2D is the optimum viewing experience.
Yeah, I saw it in IMAX 3D. Maybe halfway through the film, or 3/4ths of the way through, the 3D crapped out and it was 2D. I actually preferred the way the movie looked from there on.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Big screen = ✅
Good audio = ✅
3d = ❌

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, this is definitely a movie where you want Dolby Atmos or whatever similar thing your theater offers. The score in this movie is loving amazing (Motorball might be Junkie XL's best cut since Brothers in Arms) and the sound design otherwise is :discourse:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I can't believe this wasn't the post credits scene.
https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1097949040946212864

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tekne posted:

I can't believe this wasn't the post credits scene.
https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1097949040946212864

Why the gently caress wasn't it!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat shoutout to Robert Rodriguez for filming a lot of this movie in Austin (the spaceship in the water was at the Greenbelt!). This was definitely his best movie by far. I enjoyed it and I hope we get to see more.

Ending sucked but whatever

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Isn't that the dog that Grewcica splats in the bar, and Alita dips her finger in the blood of to do her warpaint thing?

e: Speaking of, that bit felt really weird. I have a weird feeling this movie got an R on the first pass and had some cuts made, honestly; the amount of blood and brutality in the robot violence is weirdly inconsistent (some cyborgs spurt out neon blue goo, but others just go Full Transformer and break apart into metal chunks, especially in the motorball tryout), and while they got away with way more than I expected in terms of human violence, the bit where Zapan Darth Mauls Hugo's friend was really weirdly quick and bloodless for what was happening on screen.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 20, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Isn't that the dog that Grewcica splats in the bar, and Alita dips her finger in the blood of to do her warpaint thing?

oh man i totally did not expect that. I kinda thought only John Wick had the balls to kill off a cute dog to power the hero but Alita had some serious balls.

edit: i'm seriously considering driving a little ways to see this again in either IMAX or Atmos. I'm a little bummed I can't find it on one of those not in 3D but i feel like the audio in my theater was not very good when I saw it and I really do want to watch it again.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 20, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The motorball chassis not having all the blue goop in them makes some sense internally I guess. You expect those to get hosed up so you design appropriately.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DC Murderverse posted:

oh man i totally did not expect that. I kinda thought only John Wick had the balls to kill off a cute dog to power the hero but Alita had some serious balls.

In the anime that moment is quite gory and all on screen too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

In the anime that moment is quite gory and all on screen too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tofSaLB9kwE&t=1268s