Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout

In other news, someone must've found Clive Owen's attic painting; he's finally starting to age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Jaded Burnout posted:

I can give it a go

Problem I guess being I'm already on some fairly hefty SSRIs

My condolences, friend. I hope the exercise works well for you

If you need help with being told to restart a computer I can be of assistance, I'm a professional computer restarter and give people advice on that all day in exchange for money

Jaded Burnout

I Was The Fury posted:

My condolences, friend. I hope the exercise works well for you

If you need help with being told to restart a computer I can be of assistance, I'm a professional computer restarter and give people advice on that all day in exchange for money

perhaps you can fix my outlook.. on life.. lol

sb hermit

Jaded Burnout posted:

In other news, someone must've found Clive Owen's attic painting; he's finally starting to age.

did it double as his phylactery?

or, I guess the modern 20XX term is horcrux

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Jaded Burnout posted:

Children of Men is still real good

Jaded Burnout

el dorito posted:

did it double as his phylactery?

or, I guess the modern 20XX term is horcrux

I'll be honest I've never actually read The Portrait of Dorian Grey

Abugadu

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Jaded Burnout posted:

i go read e/n and then feel better about my own problems

alnilam

Jaded Burnout posted:

lol

alnilam

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Children of Men is still real good

it's so good

alnilam

a real upper

when i want to feel happy and cheery i go to trusted cheerful movies like children of men, requiem for a dream, etc

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete
play some music that relaxes you while you exercise, or at least find something to do. i usually clean when i'm having anxiety, because then my house looks better hwen i come down and it's distracting.

e: anxiety chat

MockingQuantum

I'm feeling that anxiety today myself, haven't been sleeping well at all since the pup isn't yet sleeping through the night, and I'm starting some freelance work that is no longer very easy to do on top of a full-time job. That plus some sad news is making it a little tough to keep on truckin. But posting helps, and it's good to put things like that in perspective

thank you luvcow for the sig

Manifisto

Jaded Burnout posted:

How do you deal with large amounts of pseudo-generalised anxiety outside of medication?

exercise can help, meaning something that gets your heart rate up

walking is also good, it's exercise but not really aerobic unless you do it intensively. however it can be pretty calming and hep get your mind out of negative cycles.

breathing-based meditation works well for some. there is also a growing panoply of "mindfulness" type activities which are sort of like meditation.

but for me, running was really a big help with job stress.

whatever route you go, I hope you find something that works!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I deal with anxiety a lot. Exercise is good advice, as is cooking. I also recommend nice clean bedsheets and a dumb-room to sleep in, keeping my phone and laptop out in the hall made a huge difference for me during a particularly hard time.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Jaded Burnout posted:

How do you deal with large amounts of pseudo-generalised anxiety outside of medication?

I find one thing to work on, no matter how small, and do it. It can be creative, or it can be a chore. I give myself something to do, with no higher expectations of getting it done. It could be as simple as "throw away the three empty mustard containers in my refrigerator" or "make a drawing in crayon", but the point is, I am doing something.

I don't know how that works for others.

BoldFrankensteinMir

In therapy I learned a lot of my anxiety stemmed from collapsed boundaries, and even symbolic attempts to maintain healthier boundaries helped. Like not answering emails after a certain hour even though my job got jerky about it. If you have an HR rep they can help a lot with defining work boundaries, without the specter of retribution, because it's a legit health concern.

MockingQuantum

caption win

thank you luvcow for the sig

xcheopis

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have a collection of fun books, including YA ones, that I keep near my bed to help combat anxiety. Also, I do math and logic puzzles from Dell Publishing.

Basically, anything that allows/forces me to focus on anything else. I also use CBD, but that isn't useful where you are.

Exercise is good and so are breathing exercises.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i'm going to be real:

sometimes medication adjustment is a really good option. i take a benzodiazepine for panic attacks (i have them multiple times a day though), an SSRI, and some other meds to help stabilize me, especially right now. it's not always a bad thing to rely on medication as the crutch to help you through therapy and dealing with day to day things, until your brain chemicals decide to be nice to you. like an oxygen mask in rapid depressurization--you gotta put it on before you can help anyone else.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

thank grapes it's friday

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/pHkCs9k.gifv

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jaded Burnout

hamjobs posted:

i'm going to be real:

sometimes medication adjustment is a really good option. i take a benzodiazepine for panic attacks (i have them multiple times a day though), an SSRI, and some other meds to help stabilize me, especially right now. it's not always a bad thing to rely on medication as the crutch to help you through therapy and dealing with day to day things, until your brain chemicals decide to be nice to you. like an oxygen mask in rapid depressurization--you gotta put it on before you can help anyone else.

I'm 5 years in on meds and med adjustments, not sure it's going to get any better than it is now.

Third Eye

by FactsAreUseless
I love you guys

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm 5 years in on meds and med adjustments, not sure it's going to get any better than it is now.

i'm sorry; i've been on meds a lot longer but i won't give more advice then. i just know that if it weren't for heavy sedatives right now things would be markedly different in my ability to function (because i would probably have panicked myself into a heart attack.)

Third Eye

by FactsAreUseless

hamjobs posted:

i'm sorry; i've been on meds a lot longer but i won't give more advice then. i just know that if it weren't for heavy sedatives right now things would be markedly different in my ability to function (because i would probably have panicked myself into a heart attack.)

Relatable.

Goons Are Gifts

I wish you all a great Friday, don't forget to post in the Wednesday frog thread and enjoy your lovely time on this day of the week, my friends.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
https://twitter.com/1StevieKilner/status/1097228842194948096

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Jaded Burnout

hamjobs posted:

don’t take it personal, it’s not that your advise was bad or irrelevant to all people, just not going to work in my specific case

Goons Are Gifts

I hope you all get better. I like you all very much.

FluffieDuckie

Third Eye posted:

I love you guys

Same :love:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Waking up to this friendly thread is my favorite antidepressant.

Recent contender though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqMs9WsJg2k

Manifisto

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Recent contender though:

nmice

alnilam

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Recent contender though:

that owns i like that the real voice actors ar there

ty manifisto

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

I think the caption is a bit unfair because this is obviously a very good dog that is patiently performing a trick, and not a food-stealing dog.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
So does anyone else do that thing where you keep old condiments in the refrigerator?

Like, the thinking is this: "This still has a little bit left in it, I will wash it out when I am finished with it!" but then you buy some new condiment, and you are so happy with the new condiment, you don't notice the old one in the back. And then that continues.
Right now I have three mustard jars in my refrigerator. I think the latest one is getting empty. I am not sure. My entire plan for the day, my entire hope of executing past what I feel right now, is to wash out those mustard containers. Wish me good luck in this.

FluffieDuckie

glowing-fish posted:

So does anyone else do that thing where you keep old condiments in the refrigerator?

Like, the thinking is this: "This still has a little bit left in it, I will wash it out when I am finished with it!" but then you buy some new condiment, and you are so happy with the new condiment, you don't notice the old one in the back. And then that continues.
Right now I have three mustard jars in my refrigerator. I think the latest one is getting empty. I am not sure. My entire plan for the day, my entire hope of executing past what I feel right now, is to wash out those mustard containers. Wish me good luck in this.

we have this ongoing problem but it's made a million times worse because someone in the house has a condiment buying problem

i'll bet we have 15 different condiments in the fridge right now, and half of them are expired

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Manifisto

glowing-fish posted:

best of luck, I'm glad you have mustard the courage to tackle this important problem

ty nesamdoom!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I don’t understand. why would you wash out a condiment bottle

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

vanisher

Wait condiments expire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

blaise rascal posted:

I don’t understand. why would you wash out a condiment bottle

You dont wash and reuse your ketchup packets?