Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You know, in the campaign map when I was seeing them recruited and stuff where it was just those icons by themselves I was inclined to agree that they sucked, but now I'm thinking about it while seeing them in a battle, I actually like them, in concept at least. The place for the fancy art is for the character portraits. If the unit cards were elaborate too they'd end up competing for the visual space with those, whereas like this they help to emphasize them.

They could definitely stand to be changed to differentiate types/ranks better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Unit cards should be fairly easy to mod based on past TW games though.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

simple unit cards are where it's at. dude in silhoutte, plus weapon. I get that 'ham needed to have arty-art everywhere, cuz it's 'ham, but the unit cards are non-distinct as gently caress.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rome 2 had the best unitcards, followed by Age of Charlesmagne. Fight me.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

ZearothK posted:

Rome 2 had the best unitcards, followed by Age of Charlesmagne. Fight me.

I've got your back, gently caress 'em up.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shu Han is not even located in the State of Shu. Literally Unplayable. :colbert:

E: Best unit cards were Shogun 2 and it's not even close.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The unit cards are kind of lame, but they seem much more utilitarian than most of the games. I like the idea of a simple silhuoette with the weapon being heavily accented. I really liked Rome 2's once they fixed a lot of the release problems. The silhouettes made for a good shape while the little color accents helped differentiate them. They were aesthetically pleasing, but also really good for telling what a card was for in your peripheral vision.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Thrones has really good unit cards-- they're all colour-coded by weapon. Of course, it helps that there's only about 10 unit archetypes in that.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

is it me or is the guy in that video really bad at the game? i would uh, never do things the way he did

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Shu Han is not even located in the State of Shu. Literally Unplayable. :colbert:

E: Best unit cards were Shogun 2 and it's not even close.

RotS or vanilla?

Trick question they were both awesome.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I've typically loved the Period Art unit cards like in Rome 2, and I don't mind the cards that are just a scaled down model of the unit, but these silhouettes really aren't doing it for me.

Ah well, like others have said, it's one of the easiest things to mod.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Looks neat. I like the idea of having multiple officers with their own sort of squads to watch over after seeing this.
In the sense of the general+retinue system or the generals themselves being the individual-plus-bodyguards? (Sword cavalry for the sentinel -- although he himself had a spear -- and spear cavalry for presumably all three vanguards.) Note as well the lack of hero combat abilities, and how the player faction leader's general unit loses over a third of its starting strength (after having already lost just over two-fifths) and routs after charging presumably-braced/otherwise-prepared spearmen.

Plan Z posted:

There's a lot of other stuff I like, but this has me much more hopeful about Records Mode. Also noticed no raze option once the battle was over.
Did previous games have raze as separate from "Sack and Withdraw"?

Koramei posted:

They could definitely stand to be changed to differentiate types/ranks better though.
They've currently got Roman numerals for rank instead of the previous ancient Chinese counting rods, and color (this will hopefully have a colorblind alternative) for type.

Mantis42 posted:

I vaguely remember reading that 'Shu-Han' only arose after the Three Kingdoms period as a way to tell it apart from the pre-Emperor Xian's-abdication Han Dynasty that it claimed to be the legitimate continuation of... but I can see the "would we recognize Liu Bei's polity if it were called anything else?" aspect.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Chortles posted:

Did previous games have raze as separate from "Sack and Withdraw"?

Any game that has raze as an option, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Warhammer and Attila did.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Here's today's third and final Romance Mode Yuan Shao campaign playthrough, which finally shows Yuan Shao's captain retinues, as well as Lu Bu in a manual battle near the end complete with a duel: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/383790146

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
In that video, the playthrough seems to be going ok then like 7 AI factions declare war on him and invade simultaneously without cause, and then he fights a battle that takes less than 90 seconds to decide.

Not looking good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The battles look really small...

Maybe just cause the last hisorical TWs I've played have been DeI which has huge armies and Throb which is meant to be little warbands anyway

These tiny Chinese warbands look off. Shame they didn't optimise the engine for bigger units considering how basic the unit models look.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

In that video, the playthrough seems to be going ok then like 7 AI factions declare war on him and invade simultaneously without cause, and then he fights a battle that takes less than 90 seconds to decide.
Instead of cementing his hold on the north after vassalizing Gongsun Zan under obvious duress, Wheels instead sent Lu Bu westward towards Chang'an without having substantially built any alliances or coalitions to the best of my knowledge other than with Liu Bei--remember, Yuan Shao is one of two warlords* who doesn't need to rank up to Marquis to start alliances--so when Gongsun Zan declares independence he does so with at least one faction having already promised support, and when Yuan Shao tried to deal with Cao Cao it looked (at first glance) like Cao Cao's AI actually baited Wheels into marching a Zhang He-led army into an ambush...

(Come to think of it though, I wonder how many of those AI factions that declared war on Yuan Shao did so at Cao Cao's behest? Remember that that's a key use of Cao Cao's credibility resource.)

* The other is his half-brother-or-cousin Yuan Shu.

EDIT: It would appear that even on Romance Mode heroes (particularly vanguards) are surprisingly vulnerable to braced spearmen with Charge Reflection vs. Mounted, as highlighted by Lu Bu in that third livestream.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 22, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hentai Jihadist posted:

The battles look really small...

Maybe just cause the last hisorical TWs I've played have been DeI which has huge armies and Throb which is meant to be little warbands anyway

These tiny Chinese warbands look off. Shame they didn't optimise the engine for bigger units considering how basic the unit models look.

Battles have been getting progressively smaller since Napoleon. It's not always a bad thing, and it's usually been easy to edit units to be much bigger.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You mean after Fall Of The Samurai right?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Rise of the republic is surprisingly really good, even on hard. It's not just a walkover after you defeat your initial enemies like the grand campaign and all of Caesar in Gaul is. I was playing it like it'd be easy and oops Tarchuna, Taras and the Senones are all huge and I picked the wrong choice in a conflict of the orders and my provinces are in full rebellion.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 24, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

You mean after Fall Of The Samurai right?

I don't know what it is about the Warscape engine games, but even ones that have the same unit scale as Rome 1 with the 240 soldier units don't feel as big as that game does. I think it has to do with how the infantry tend to clump together and look like their collision boxes are overlapping and clipping each other, so it looks more like blobs of men jostling to the front instead of deep formations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Today's first Records Mode livestream actually began mid-campaign, with Ma Teng having wrested control of Emperor Xian from Dong Zhuo and thus vassalizing the Han Empire: https://youtu.be/l513a9IUo2Q or https://twitch.tv/videos/387528166?t=00h07m48s
Here's the AMA

Chortles fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 27, 2019

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
in my rotr campaign, I went to go get a coffee after ending the turn and i came back to find my 4th legion had its commander bribed, but somehow I also managed to pick up 4 units of hipeus cavalry and a cavalry skirmisher? I'm not sure what happened? that legion should be at 18/20 but I guess I lost units of swordsmen to the dignitaries. How did I pick up cavalry units like that?

The legion has 21 units??????

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Zheng Jiang's got a faction spotlight video, showing her 'faction select' screen and focusing on her early game situation on turn 1: https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1101159775180652546

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
a new "what the teams are working on" update: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-february-2019

highlights: another Saga game; Warhammer Lord Pack as well as "a bespoke new feature for one of the WARHAMMER I races that’ll have you bending the knee"; some FPS; dlc for the unreleased Three Kingdoms game

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

peer posted:

a new "what the teams are working on" update: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-february-2019

highlights: another Saga game; Warhammer Lord Pack as well as "a bespoke new feature for one of the WARHAMMER I races that’ll have you bending the knee"; some FPS; dlc for the unreleased Three Kingdoms game

That Warhammer feature sounds like an Empire overhaul. Sweet!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The picture of what is likely the grail says otherwise.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The grail has the Bretonnian fleur-de-lis :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of Warhammer, I downloaded Beginning of the End Times for Medieval 2, and it's a surprisingly good mod given how sketchy I found the original Call of Warhammer mod to be back in the day. I like the Warhammer games and their really neat looking campaign maps, but I do miss a lot of the more free form gameplay of Medieval 2 where you can just paint the map. Also, it has Dogs of War so I can play a mercenary army plundering across the old world.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

im playing FotS at the moment as Saga, when I start the game I can't recruit any ships. It shows a sideways hourglass on their unit card and they seem to have infinite recruitment time. I buy them but they never finish recruiting.

Its not under blockade or anything. what the hell is going on?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

underage at the vape shop posted:

in my rotr campaign, I went to go get a coffee after ending the turn and i came back to find my 4th legion had its commander bribed, but somehow I also managed to pick up 4 units of hipeus cavalry and a cavalry skirmisher? I'm not sure what happened? that legion should be at 18/20 but I guess I lost units of swordsmen to the dignitaries. How did I pick up cavalry units like that?

The legion has 21 units??????

You may have captured some artillery. Congrats.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

im playing FotS at the moment as Saga, when I start the game I can't recruit any ships. It shows a sideways hourglass on their unit card and they seem to have infinite recruitment time. I buy them but they never finish recruiting.

Its not under blockade or anything. what the hell is going on?

This is right off the top of my head, but it might be because in FOTS you can queue up as many units to build as you want, but the money only gets taken from your treasury when you mash End Turn. If you don't have enough money (or other stuff gets bought first and your money goes down) then the recruitment doesn't happen.

That might be completely wrong.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Heads up, the second Records Mode Ma Teng campaign livestream is in 40 minutes from this post ended up having to be called off at about an hour and twenty minutes in due to an impassable end-of-turn CTD, though we did learn some new things:
  • In this build, opposed spy actions which already cost extra Cover points to safely carry out now also cost the normal amount to cancel/safely-back out of.
  • Due to 'events outside our control' your spies can end up changing target factions.
  • Settlements' elemental type also affects their garrison composition, e.g. Luoyang's trade port had an archer captain and several archer units.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 6, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chortles posted:

Due to 'events outside our control' your spies can end up changing target factions.

Friendship has ended with YUAN SHAO

LIU BAE is now my my bestfriend

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

im so anxious about this game

i need it to be good so badly

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Zyla posted:

im so anxious about this game

i need it to be good so badly

It'll be good 100%, but maybe not at launch. One of the reasons I never buy total war games at lauch is, because inevitably the game 5+ patches/dlcs in is like a 1000 times better then it starts at launch.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The last one that was really good at launch was Warham 1 imo

It was obviously better later though

I think I will be able to enjoy 3k as long as there is a 2x unit size mod.
The heros taking up unit slots just means smaller battles than normal which feels wrong for a 3k game

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I think I will be able to enjoy 3k as long as there is a 2x unit size mod.
The heros taking up unit slots just means smaller battles than normal which feels wrong for a 3k game
On the other hand an all-infantry full stack as any non-Yuan Shao faction goes up to 2883 with the generals, or in his case 3201 with a Jian Infantry Captain and/or Archer Captain since they and their retinues are all infantry. In the Records Mode reveal and livestreams, except for strategists (for whom I've seen 16 to 26) the commander, sentinel, and vanguard bodyguard units have been slightly above regular cavalry in troop count while a resolve-nearly-maxed champion got as high as 86, so I imagine that modding regular cavalry should be doable... and even without a champion or a resolve-min-maxed other general you can expect to reach about 3k (no pun intended). Combine that with a settlement garrison and you've probably got a few hundred more, or combine that with a full all-infantry-except-generals stack in reinforcement range and you're looking at potentially nearly 6k across your forty-two units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Biggest unmodded game is still RTW with 4800 soldiers in a max sized stack of 240 man units.