Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Anthem has a lower aggregate score than Mass Effect Andromeda lol

https://opencritic.com/game/7084/anthem

it's only based on 6 numbered scores and 6 more unscored reviews but yeah practically all of them are "ehhhhhhh not feeling this"

the last few weeks have been a cascade of mediocre poo poo between this/crackdown/far cry 5.5/jump force. all unworthy sacrifices to the alter of Dante

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they wouldnt need Apex to make Anthem DOA, it's a loot shooter releasing in the same month as The Division 2 and Ubisoft's studios outstaff Bioware like 5 to 1

it may be the perfect microcosm of gaming though. 'ignore our last lovely game that was generic and rushed and full of bugs, that was by the B team, we're putting all our effort into this new lovely game that's generic and rushed and full of bugs. it's going to be the bob dylan of games, please get excited!! no it wont be really finished either, please wait for 2 years for the game to become playable with DLC"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it's funny that nintendo online literally only justifies its existence by being insanely cheap

Now it justifies itself with Tetris

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DLC Inc posted:

it's only based on 6 numbered scores and 6 more unscored reviews but yeah practically all of them are "ehhhhhhh not feeling this"

the last few weeks have been a cascade of mediocre poo poo between this/crackdown/far cry 5.5/jump force. all unworthy sacrifices to the alter of Dante

Far cry new dawn is actually loving amazing, surprisingly

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Like for some reason they tried to make it a secret that you get literal super powers in New Dawn when that poo poo should have been front and center in the marketing

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

nice try yves

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hopefully we dont forget about anthem at the end of the year when it's time to compile the 'biggest meltdown of the year'

like how everyone forgot metal gear survive was released in 2018 because it was at the start of the year

it's probably going to be hard to top the 1-2 punch of Fallout 76 and The Quiet Man. i guess YIIK is pretty loving high up there though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

Far cry new dawn is actually loving amazing, surprisingly

Does it do anything different from the other Far Crys?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

You get no fooling magical powers, so theyve taken a first step to breaking the game of its reality constraints.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

No

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i assume it's like every odd far cry spinoff where it makes significant changes from the game it's based on to account for popular complaints to a point that makes people hate it less and then the next game is going to make the exact same mistakes as far cry 5 again like how far cry 5 made the exact same mistakes as far cry 3

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

A few things yeah

You build up a base so it feels better than the standard formula of "liberate some village and never go there again unless it's the closest fast travel point to where I want to actually go". It makes it feel a lot more "realized", as fairly basic as it is

And you get super powers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

i assume it's like every odd far cry spinoff where it makes significant changes from the game it's based on to account for popular complaints to a point that makes people hate it less and then the next game is going to make the exact same mistakes as far cry 5 again like how far cry 5 made the exact same mistakes as far cry 3

FC5 was extremely well designed, outside of the terrible but honestly short story scenes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

I hope someday they go back and make the mistakes of Farcry 1 and kill you in an elevator being barraged by super mutants with rockets

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Unrelated to anything, but Shy guys are my favourite Mario enemy

Extremely valid opinion

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Extremely valid opinion

:yeah:

I'm personally more into Boos though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Yoshi's Island versions of Boos and Shy Guys are both perfect. I personally love the shy guys that do coordinated flips

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of boos,

How is it possible that we live in a world where nintendo never released a ghost house kingdom as odyssey dlc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of boos,

How is it possible that we live in a world where nintendo never released a ghost house kingdom as odyssey dlc

Maybe they are saving it for Odyssey 2

(I can hope)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

How in the actual titty Christ does this kind of poo poo make it through QA in bloody 2019 for gently caress's sake

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

A good comment below from one of the editors at Ars Technica. Ars hated Anthem, and this blurb summarizes the hosed up gameplay loop perfectly:

quote:

Setting aside all of the other (many) issues that Sam enumerated in his review, the thing that's killing this game for me is the loading screens. It's not even the length; it's the frequency. Take getting into/out of missions:

- Mission ends, loading screen
- Tediously slow post mission briefing
- Loading screen into Fort Tarsis
- Loading screen into forge to equip new gear
- Loading screen out of forge, walk over to javelin
- Loading screen into mission select
- Loading screen into mission

(When you have a loading screen to get into and out of your inventory, in a LOOT GAME, you've really messed something up along the way.)

Sorry, but that's just unacceptable for a game in 2019. The gameplay is fun—that's the only reason anyone's talking about this game—but it's like Anthem doesn't even want you to play it. I get an itch to blow up some monsters, but then I remember all the nonsense I have to go through to get to the fun and I just give up before I even launch the game.

I also really, really hate that you can't see what loot drops when you're in the field. The game just shows you what rarity of item you've picked up, and you don't get to see what it actually is until after you leave the session. By that time, the excitement of seeing a shiny orb has worn off, and now I'm looking at a big info dump on a menu. Seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of why people play these games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

A good comment below from one of the editors at Ars Technica. Ars hated Anthem, and this blurb summarizes the hosed up gameplay loop perfectly:

I don’t know about that last part. I’d hate to pause every time something dropped. When I play loot-heavy games I like to grab whatever during the actual run, and then spend five to ten minutes back at the base processing each item. Then again, I enjoy inventory management in Games like Baldur’s Gate or Deus Ex, maybe this is uncommon?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andrast posted:

Not really, but it just cuts right to the stuff people like about Far Cry (capturing outposts, watching people randomly get mauled by bears, getting randomly mauled by a bear yourself) without a horribly pretentious framing story. It took me 14 hours to beat, which was exactly the length all Far Crys should be.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Please tell me she's doing an entire week out of these

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t know about that last part. I’d hate to pause every time something dropped. When I play loot-heavy games I like to grab whatever during the actual run, and then spend five to ten minutes back at the base processing each item. Then again, I enjoy inventory management in Games like Baldur’s Gate or Deus Ex, maybe this is uncommon?

Yeah? I mean you don't do "runs" in those games?

Anthem copies that feature from Warframe, the difference obvisouly being that you get materials in Warframe to use on Blueprints you buy on the market.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm glad this game is going to be roadkill in a week

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Diablo 3 has greater rifts where you can't equip gear or change your spec until the boss is dead, but the objective there is speed and rifts take at most 5min to clear so it works.

Where Anthem and so many other Diablo-wannabes utterly fail is that they do not show the piece of loot being dropped on the ground as a unique model, and what's worse, virtually none of the gear you equip is reflected on your character model. This so completely misunderstands the point of why people play games with randomized loot that I have to wonder what its creators were thinking. Wow I'm so excited to pick up this glowing purple orb that is indistinguishable from all these other purple orbs, that I cannot even look at without getting a load screen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Not really, but it just cuts right to the stuff people like about Far Cry (capturing outposts, watching people randomly get mauled by bears, getting randomly mauled by a bear yourself) without a horribly pretentious framing story. It took me 14 hours to beat, which was exactly the length all Far Crys should be.

Also the Twins are almost as good villains as Pagan Min and way better than the villains for 3 and 5

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think last legion ux might be a harder n64 game to emulate than rogue squadron

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Apex Legends has double the views that Fortnite does

I was really baffled by how it managed to succeed where all other imitators have failed, but a stream I watched the other day actually explained it pretty well; Apex Legends is the only game that was actually designed to be a BR. PUBG is a complete mess for a ton of reasons, and Fortnite just copied PUBG to salvage its pathetic main game. Then Fortnite became popular, and everyone just copied Fortnite. Nobody was actually building a BR from the groundup thinking about how to make it really work. Everyone was just copying Fortnite, which was copying PUBG, which was a piece of trash. It was like a feedback loop of failure that Apex managed to break out of by doing its own thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

but in only one of these games can you play as the pharoah and kill goku with the dark magician

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still a little worried about Sekiro and how its getting discounts right now. Don't know if that's sweating the competition it has or if its lack of faith in its own product.

Also its published by Activision and -- ehhhh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crabtree posted:

I'm still a little worried about Sekiro and how its getting discounts right now. Don't know if that's sweating the competition it has or if its lack of faith in its own product.

Worry when it gets discounts a week after release at all major retailers and then gets made a free pack in for buying a used controller.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where are you seeing discounts? It's ridiculous normal price everywhere I can see here.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

If I’m grinding for shiny bauble I want to know what I’m picking up so I can immediately stop grinding when I get shiny bauble. Making you wait until the end is cruel when every mmo has basically established the town portal concept.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

precision posted:

It's still amazing to me that they just dropped Apex on it and pretty much guaranteed it to be DOA
I like to think that Zampella launched it just before Anthem in order to get back at EA for launching Titanfall 2 at the worst possible time...
...but sources tell me Zampella was the one who decided Titanfall 2's launch date so it's not as funny. :(

Sakurazuka posted:

Where are you seeing discounts? It's ridiculous normal price everywhere I can see here.
When in doubt, GMG has a VIP offer. 11% off in this case.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 20, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Crabtree posted:

That's GMG's whole schtick, they sell discounted Steam keys ahead of final release. That's how I got my keys for AC Odyssey, Soul Calibur 6 and RE2make, all of which were pretty successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bought Superhot VR

Gonna play a whole shitload this weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzG7Wc6mbwE

Super
Hot

Super
Hot