Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
guys

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4312-CUSA02383_00-DYNAMIC0080THEME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Beachcomber posted:

For the record, we got a 65" Samsung Qled q9n and I've been holding off starting rdr2 because it'll arrive tomorrow. A few people have been down on it but I hope it's actually a good game?

I know oled is awesome, but our tv is in a sun drenched room so the added brightness should help.

RDR2 is one of the best games I’ve ever experienced. Most people adore it but it doesn’t click for everyone. If I could give you advice going in, accept it for what it is. Don’t force it to be anything that it isn’t. Get into the atmosphere of it. Play how you think the main character would exist in the world. If you can match pace with the way the game works it will reward you time and time again. It’s a very special experience.

It’s going to look absolutely incredible on that TV. I’m jealous!

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Tei posted:

I started playing Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk.

Is made from the same guys/gals than DISGAEA and this mean complex or unusual mechanics, humor, storytelling, grind levels beyond human understanding (but cool grinding), ...and it shows, this game have these perks.

I am loving it very much, enjoying it way more than other games people have recomended to me. I don't normally like turn based combats, but this one kind of flow super smoothly, it knows when you want to go fast and circle speedup most animations.

I didn't exactly hate it, but I was disappointed because having played disgaea and etrian odyssey games I was expecting far more depth to it. Not to mention how everything is so loving anime it makes me embarrassed to admit I ever played it

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mr Snips posted:

I didn't exactly hate it, but I was disappointed because having played disgaea and etrian odyssey games I was expecting far more depth to it. Not to mention how everything is so loving anime it makes me embarrassed to admit I ever played it

Agree on everything. Any level of fanservice, even light, is cancer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

For the record, we got a 65" Samsung Qled q9n and I've been holding off starting rdr2 because it'll arrive tomorrow. A few people have been down on it but I hope it's actually a good game?

I know oled is awesome, but our tv is in a sun drenched room so the added brightness should help.

RDR2 is slow as gently caress and sometimes more like a “life in the old west” simulator than a fun video game. It’s also a loving masterpiece and I don’t have time for people who try and argue otherwise

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
were definitely at a point with video games where one can be good, even great, without being that much fun, and those experiences are much harder to quantify or explain

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Red Dead is often pretty fun though? I enjoyed it at least.

The old west simulator stuff fell completely flat for me and I often like that kind of stuff though. I'm not inherently against it, but I don't think they did a good job of making it interesting. I did however enjoy the story and wandering around and blowing up people's heads with the shotgun.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus, just the ol' everybody is into different stuff thing. For me some games grab me, have that addictive in a good way quality, compelling and fun. RDR2 was that for me for sure, but I love the style of storytelling, and found the world a lot of fun to explore.

I have noticed games having a trend of being incredibly time consuming, and for me Zelda: Breath of the Wild was the big one there. And the longest game I've ever played at well over 200 hours. And much of that time on foot exploring enormous landscapes. Both Zelda and Red Dead have less quick traveling, less "click on a map" style of open world, and were I guess trying to experiment with ways of making just traveling in the world itself feel compelling. Not like you're just zooming around doing a laundry list.

That said, I do like zooming around doing a laundry list as well, it all varies, and while I loved BoTW and RDR2, overall I think giving players the option to speed things up would be best for most open world games. Trying to make the world compelling enough that you don't want to skip large portions of it is also a nice idea. There's a lot of areas to explore and work on.

A resurgence of single player games that aren't open world at all, that'd be nice too for mixing things up. There'll be Doom Eternal and Ion Maiden this year for that at least. Every game's missions taking place on big open realistic-ish laid out buildings etc does put some limits there I think. Plus not every story or gameplay style requires traversing huge distances between objectives.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 20, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The little mundane busy work felt actually enjoyable to me in Zelda, where in Red Dead it felt like a huge chore. It was mostly less essential in Red Dead though, where it's integral to the game in Zelda. Not that Zelda was perfect about it either though. Both games feel bloated with that stuff, but in Zelda it feels less meaningless because everything serves a purpose, where in Red Dead you are just shuffling through 100 samey items in the worlds clunkiest inventory system, mid combat or doing busy little tasks that accomplis little to nothing.

I'm loving Metro Exodus for taking the opposite approach. There is only two resources to find, but they feel very important, because they are needed for everything. it's kind of like the Last of Us in that regard. gently caress having a million things in your inventory. make a few things that actually matter and make the player toil over what to use them on.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

veni veni veni posted:

The little mundane busy work felt actually enjoyable to me in Zelda, where in Red Dead it felt like a huge chore. It was mostly less essential in Red Dead though, where it's integral to the game in Zelda. Not that Zelda was perfect about it either though. Both games feel bloated with that stuff, but in Zelda it feels less meaningless because everything serves a purpose, where in Red Dead you are just shuffling through 100 samey items in the worlds clunkiest inventory system, mid combat or doing busy little tasks that accomplis little to nothing.

I'm loving Metro Exodus for taking the opposite approach. There is only two resources to find, but they feel very important, because they are needed for everything. it's kind of like the Last of Us in that regard. gently caress having a million things in your inventory. make a few things that actually matter and make the player toil over what to use them on.

yeah all of my weapons breaking and waiting for the rain to stop were immersive as poo poo and very fun. the rains purpose was to show you that having fun in your video game isnt something you should be striving for 100% of the time, a valuable lesson

edit: i like zelda and i actually like immersive games but the rain in zelda was literally just lovely and negative and so was its implementation of weapon breakage (although i would argue that LARGELY weapon breakage is just bad game design in general because it's something that stands to detract a lot from an experience and very rarely if ever offers much of a potential positive, and its hard to implement design, to boot. if you have a system that stands to cause more problems than any positive benefits it might entail you should just skip it 99% of the time. and the rain is a system that literally has no positive purpose other than making already bad metal armor almost entirely pointless and making going places hard for awhile for actual no reason)

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 20, 2019

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

There are always a lot of systems to chime in on. I didn't mind the weapon system, and I invested in having a zillion weapon slots on me. But specific gameplay style choices like those are gonna be divisive. I'm mostly noting how travelling/exploring takes up many many hours.

Which is compelling, but ultimately I think in the future the trend may go another way. Making the biggest hugest words ever, and making them detailed and varied enough that you want to explore them, that's the open world arms race currently. What's next for open world single player adventures, who knows.

In general, I like the idea of trying something different next time. Maybe the next Zelda won't have weapon loot at all, just using your trusty legendary one. But then they need new compelling reasons to explore caves etc. Or maybe Link's in a Dark City type of place and there aren't caves.

We can assume GTA6 will be coming from Rockstar, I wonder what they'll try to change things up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm with you , but honestly I don't think that poo poo is changing any time soon. People love that stuff and buy the hell out of it. A lot of gamers are either children or extremely broke adults with too much free time, and absurdly long play times are a huge selling point for games, especially when single player games have to compete with multiplayer games that can be played indefinitely. The result is that a lot of games feel watered down, but hey. Now you get to say it's 100 hours long on the box.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I wont be buying gtavi unless its got totally different writers from v.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

edit: i like zelda and i actually like immersive games but the rain in zelda was literally just lovely and negative and so was its implementation of weapon breakage (although i would argue that LARGELY weapon breakage is just bad game design in general because it's something that stands to detract a lot from an experience and very rarely if ever offers much of a potential positive, and its hard to implement design, to boot. if you have a system that stands to cause more problems than any positive benefits it might entail you should just skip it 99% of the time. and the rain is a system that literally has no positive purpose other than making already bad metal armor almost entirely pointless and making going places hard for awhile for actual no reason)

This guy needs to make himself a warm little bonfire and chillax

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

I wont be buying gtavi unless its got totally different writers from v.

gently caress I still haven't even beaten GTA.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I'm with you , but honestly I don't think that poo poo is changing any time soon. People love that stuff and buy the hell out of it. A lot of gamers are either children or extremely broke adults with too much free time, and absurdly long play times are a huge selling point for games, especially when single player games have to compete with multiplayer games that can be played indefinitely. The result is that a lot of games feel watered down, but hey. Now you get to say it's 100 hours long on the box.

One thing I really like about Far Cry New Dawn is they pared down the game significantly- it’s maybe 20 hours with some but not all of the side content, and to replay the side expeditions or an outpost, you just hit a button in your journal or the map and it drops you right in to some shootin’.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

okay what the gently caress posters in this thread keep making me want to play a Far Cry game?1?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

okay what the gently caress posters in this thread keep making me want to play a Far Cry game?1?

New Dawn is a lot of fun. It’s got a gun that shoots bouncing saws and some Crysis-sequel superpowers.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

...! posted:

I'm seven chapters into Valkyria Chronicles 4 and I'm really loving it. They fixed my major complaint from 1: the number of turns required for an A rank on a mission is much more forgiving. It actually lets you play the game like a normal person whereas in 1, if you want an A rank you usually have to stack orders on a scout and have them haul rear end toward the objective while ignoring all the enemies. Having to do every mission like that just wasn't fun. It also puts more emphasis on making deploying the max number of soldiers at the beginning of a mission not necessarily a good idea. In fact, it's usually a very bad idea. The new (I don't know if it was in 2 or 3) grenadier class is a lot of fun also.

I also bought the DLC that includes the main characters from 1 and it's really good. The reward for finishing it is being able to use the main cast from 1 during the main game of 4 (clearly not canon). It's a bit overpowered right now because being able to deploy both the Hafen and the Edelweiss can somewhat trivialize fights against other tanks. I imagine the Edelweiss will eventually become a liability and not worth using, though, since it can't be upgraded and would probably get shredded by mid- to late-game tanks. And even during the early missions the Edelweiss's machine gun is so inaccurate (even at very close range) that using it just results in a wasted turn.

The other characters from 1 do get upgraded along with your other soldiers, though, and their potentials make them the best units in their respective classes so I'll probably be using them for the rest of the game. Alicia's Mysterious Body potential in particular tends to trigger at the best possible times.

I highly recommend this game to everyone. If you haven't played any games in this series, they're an interesting mix of turn-based and real-time strategy. You don't need to have played any of the previous games, though I do recommend playing the remastered PS4 version of 1 first, though; despite its flaws it's still really good. I hope 2 and 3 eventually get ported to PS4; the fact that they're handheld-only games is bullshit. sigh:

Not only is 3 handheld only, it never got released outside of Japan!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I go through a phase with every new far cry game where I really want to play it for about 2-3 hours and then never touch it again

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

Not only is 3 handheld only, it never got released outside of Japan!

It got a fan translated patch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

...! posted:

I hope 2 and 3 eventually get ported to PS4; the fact that they're handheld-only games is bullshit. sigh:

You shouldn't; VC2 is a wretched mess of bad anime cliches and ~highschool drama~, sitting on top of just plain bad writing by people who thought they really were making something good. It's also mechanically terrible, and just generally despised to the point that part of VC4's pre-release push was the developers promising, repeatedly, that it would be a return to the original game.

VC3's apparently pretty alright though, despite the shortcomings of being on PSP.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

nachos posted:

I go through a phase with every new far cry game where I really want to play it for about 2-3 hours and then never touch it again

Cross your fingers on finding it in a Redbox.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Cross your fingers on finding it in a Redbox.

nah i'll just get it on a PSN flash sale and put off playing it for years while playing Resident Evil again

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Oh yeah meant to ask since RE2make was so dope how was the remake of RE1? Never played that either.

DQXI: Erik never made much of an impression on me but his storyline in the second half was actually really good.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Oh yeah meant to ask since RE2make was so dope how was the remake of RE1? Never played that either.

It's good, but an entirely different beast. It's basically the original PSX game, but graphically remastered. Pretty sure it's just a port of the Gamecube remaster, to give an idea of what it looks like.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

DQXI: Erik never made much of an impression on me but his storyline in the second half was actually really good.

Yeah Erik is kind of a solid everyman companion but when they open up his personal story it's really good.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Rdr2 is videogames' Ben hur.
Only another few decades until we get the godfather.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

enojy posted:

It's good, but an entirely different beast. It's basically the original PSX game, but graphically remastered. Pretty sure it's just a port of the Gamecube remaster, to give an idea of what it looks like.

It's indeed the Gamecube remaster. Ditto for RE:0.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

REmake1 is awesome, but it's much, much different from the RE2 remake. The RE2 remake is a reimagining of old school survival horror in modern game design. RE1 by contrast, is literal old school survival horror. That means fixed camera angles, tank controls (modern controls are an option), auto aimed weapons, and generally weak zombies compared to RE2R.

I still think it's worth playing – partially because it will be cool to see where RE2R came from, but also because it has gorgeous atmosphere and art direction, it's relatively tight and doesn't overstay its welcome, it has a much larger bestiary than RE2R, there are like 8 ending permutations, and it's just loving fun exploring this stupid insane crazy mansion.

Coming off of RE2R it will probably be alternately easy and hard. Hard because you will run into enemies, there are way more crazy adventure game keys, cranks, and objects, and you don't know where to go. Easy because you can shoot a zombie with like 8 handgun bullets and kill it for good. There's not as much of an adrenaline rush – no Mr. X. But it has plenty of its own charms.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

enojy posted:

It is a port of the gamecube version, just with a few graphical touchups, (sort of) widescreen support, and options for non-tank controls.

It's really good game but is still a 2002 remake of a 1996 style game. Fixed camera angles, aiming options being limited to 'up' and 'down' and lots of backtracking to get the key you forgot or run back to the storage box because you don't have any space for the crest you just found.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

REmake is a puzzle game. i mean the first two RE games were puzzle games but REmake does very little to change the formula

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah, the only ones who really made an impression on me in the first part were Rab and Sylvando. Everyone got up to really cool poo poo in the second part with one exception.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone have any horror or success stories in using a powerline adapter on their PS4? My PS4 speeds are a lot slower than reality and I'm hoping a power line adapter can at the very least cut those download times from 4 hours to..a lot less than that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone have any horror or success stories in using a powerline adapter on their PS4? My PS4 speeds are a lot slower than reality and I'm hoping a power line adapter can at the very least cut those download times from 4 hours to..a lot less than that.

this might be something you've already tried but by pausing downloads you can force them to connect to a different download server and that can help a lot

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I enjoyed VC2 and played the absolute poo poo out of it. I waited for the VC3 fan patch for years, and years, and then played like 2 missions before I decided that since the maps seemed to be recycled, I'd already played it a bunch. But yeah VC2 is really good. Is it grindy? YES. Is it fun? HELL YES!
edit: I did grinding because it was fun, not for any other reason. I had to play x missions with each character to unlock their special story stuff, and I did that for absolutely everyone and it was fantastic.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

this might be something you've already tried but by pausing downloads you can force them to connect to a different download server and that can help a lot

It's such a recurring problem for me. Which is a bit weird since my wireless speeds here are 100Mbit+ but the PS4 goes at a rate of like 5MB/s and often times slower. Everywhere online says wired is my only option to cure it, but that's not really an option for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It's great if you are are at peace with it being an original psx game updated with 2002 era graphics. Don't go in expecting REmake 2 but there is still a lot to love.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

redreader posted:

I enjoyed VC2 and played the absolute poo poo out of it. I waited for the VC3 fan patch for years, and years, and then played like 2 missions before I decided that since the maps seemed to be recycled, I'd already played it a bunch. But yeah VC2 is really good. Is it grindy? YES. Is it fun? HELL YES!
edit: I did grinding because it was fun, not for any other reason. I had to play x missions with each character to unlock their special story stuff, and I did that for absolutely everyone and it was fantastic.

I would honestly like to know how many people have actually played VC2 vs just repeating 'it's set in a school and it's bad'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

It's great if you are are at peace with it being an original psx game updated with 2002 era graphics. Don't go in expecting REmake 2 but there is still a lot to love.

This is a solid take. REmake 1 is basically like Capcom trying to revive the tank controls fixed camera style of horror game and doing a really drat good job of it. It didn’t bring about a tank controlled pre-rendered background genre renaissance or anything (and thank gently caress for that) but it’s pretty much the best of its kind.

RE2 on the other hand has been like video game crack for me for weeks, which is a little insane for a six or so hour game. Two if you’re good. :getin: