Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Black August posted:

Really looking forward to this update as an excuse to play through again, and I wonder if this is the true last one or if they have a 1.4 in mind

Crazy how they’ve been improving it so much over 10 years, I don’t even want a 2 at this point so much as a recoded remaster of this one for better performance, world size, and easy modding

Unless it got rolled into the next update due to the delay, there's a 1.4 planned. It's supposed to bring "a kind of creative mode"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Given the appearance of those bombs I hope they're something useful that can be crafted from all this granite that keeps junking up my inventory.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Given the appearance of those bombs I hope they're something useful that can be crafted from all this granite that keeps junking up my inventory.

They're "scarab bombs" that come from the desert.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I for one would actually really like a Terraria 2, even with all the updates 1 keeps getting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mountaineer posted:

Look at this guy who never mined out every piece of granite solely to make furnish a big ol' granite monolith apartment

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vib Rib posted:

I for one would actually really like a Terraria 2, even with all the updates 1 keeps getting.

Me as well. Every time that there is a new update in the queue, part of me thinks that perhaps they should not be working on that and instead work on a sequel, if indeed they want to do that. Terraria 1 already had a ludicrous amount of content and there is only so far that the engine can be stretched, after all.

I will add that I am continually impressed by how Red has put so much work into adding content to a very inexpensive game with no thought of adding paid DLC. I realise that he's still made millions of ££££ regardless, but I'm continually shocked when people aren't as greedy as they could be.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They still got to sell the game repeatedly by porting it to consoles and mobiles, and apparently each big content update results in a new spike of sales so it stays profitable to develop the old game. They reached 12 millions in June 2015, 20 millions in December 2016, and are currently at over 27 millions. Not bad for a game released originally in 2011.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

FirstAidKite posted:

Look at this guy who never mined out every piece of granite solely to make furnish a big ol' granite monolith apartment

I did, actually. It turned out to be a terrible eyesore but I used it anyway because I was too lazy to build a replacement base.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mountaineer posted:

I did, actually. It turned out to be a terrible eyesore but I used it anyway because I was too lazy to build a replacement base.

Look at this guy who can't build a good-looking monolith apartment highrise out of granite

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Galaxy brain building is to have one granite megalith of cold lifeless cells to recall everyone back to during emergencies or for punishment, while normally each citizen gets their own custom home based in a sensible and eye catching location

Wizard gets a flashy sky island magic sun tower or bust

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I also want Terraria 2, if only because a game like this deserves a better engine and easier modding.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Part of me doesn't want Terraria 2 simply because I know it won't have really nice sprite graphics and all of 1's content in it from the get-go

But it's a first-day preorder if it does ever start to happen, I'm not going to lie

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
For people who like playing with a lot of mods there's an experimental 64bit tmodloader. Not being limited to 4gb of ram is a huge change.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Rynoto posted:

For people who like playing with a lot of mods there's an experimental 64bit tmodloader. Not being limited to 4gb of ram is a huge change.

Can I ask what this does and makes possible?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
My first hunch is maps bigger than you can reasonably play.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Black August posted:

Can I ask what this does and makes possible?

Person took the normal 32bit tmodloader and did something crazy. It's all witchcraft to me how they did it.

The biggest perk is that you can now use, say, a bunch of big mods that add biomes on top of Large World Enabler. One of the biggest problems before with lots of added biomes was how they all got squished together.

Just in general though it'll make large mod lists more stable because you won't run out of ram, and I'd assume some crazy people will take advantage of it and start making mods designed around the 64bit stuff.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Huh, I'll have to check that out. I've played with large world enabler (only making the map a bit wider to make space for biomes) and some megamods and slowdowns were definitely an issue. Fps drops were a little random. Seemed like storms and the jungle triggered them, but only on occasion.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Posting this PCGamer mod list in case there's some you folks haven't heard of. Also appreciate any comments :)

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Lily pads!

Edit: and Shark-frog-Yoshi summon

bij fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 22, 2019

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I thought I'd get around to playing mods since everyone talks about them but

can someone explain why the tmodloader for gog terraria is abandoned

I'd like to have multiple copies of terraria installed so I can try out multiple mod packs and not break worlds and things, and plus steam has the cloud save thing going. I'd like to just have terraria with mods installed where I want to install it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hemingway To Go! posted:

can someone explain why the tmodloader for gog terraria is abandoned

Because we can't have nice things.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Got back into this after quite a long absence on PS4 and hey there's a few cultists outside the dungeon, oh no suddenly there's aliens everywhere and here's the Moon Lord.

I see quite a lot has been added in the year or so since I put it down, I'm quite fond of the Nebula armour and the Nebula Arcanum, it just rips everything to pieces.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looks like someone made an updated patch for the GOG version, so that's cool.
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/tml-gog-patch-for-1-3-5-3-0-10-1-5.79184/

Also the fabled 1.3.6 is still going on. Worldgen changes, biome changes, terrablade upgrade, more summons, thrown items folded back into ranged, a new extra inventory item...
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-state-of-the-game-april-2019.79069/
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/introducing-the-void-vault-and-void-bag.78808/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Combining throwing and ranged damage into a single class might make people actually use the drat throwables past Eye of Cthulhu for a change.
It makes sense, as throwing items rely on the same mechanical premise as ammo does. A good change, I think.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
throwables are really powerful. just, they're typically harder to get or craft than ammo for a gun

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm just concerned about what effect, if any, folding throwing back into ranged will have for mods, which tend to significantly add onto the throwing class. I don't really play this game vanilla anymore so I'm actually more worried about the next patch than excited, since I suspect it'll break a loooooot of mods.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
I don't think it's due for another half year or thereabouts, and I think they have like beta or test builds now too, right?

Just going off stuff I've seen in the discord channel. It's possible modders will be able to anticipate the changes for a swifter turnaround after the update.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I really am astounded with the quality of the Calamity mod

Death mode is exactly what I wanted, and a lot of the new poo poo is cool

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Xenaero posted:

I really am astounded with the quality of the Calamity mod

Death mode is exactly what I wanted, and a lot of the new poo poo is cool

it's an impressive mod. all the new biomes are cool, especially the abyss, and it feels endless, in a good way. i've only just killed the twins (having to transform both of them before you can deal damage past 50% is an extremely mean addition to revengeance mode), and i'll be moving onto plantera, golem, and the astrum bosses next. the fact that i still have moon lord and then another three or four tiers of progression left to do after that is ridiculous

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Calamity only has two real issues, in my opinion: It has a tendency to massively overpower vanilla content and basically any other mod, and the artstyle is too dang detailed for Terraria. They're good sprites, don't get me wrong, they just look waaaay out of place.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I enjoyed Calamity up until the Providence boss, post moonlord. The mechanics just felt like an awful bullet hell and once I finally managed to kill it I lost interest in continuing.

I also kinda wish the artists for Calamity would put out a base game retexture mod.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The leviathan sprite seems to fall short with me, but everything else has been pretty fantastic.

I just barely limped through the Astrum fights, I have no idea what I'm gonna do for Golem and onwards. Things are starting to hurt VERY much. I'll probably hit up the guide and see what more stuff I can build and combine.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Xenaero posted:

The leviathan sprite seems to fall short with me, but everything else has been pretty fantastic.

I just barely limped through the Astrum fights, I have no idea what I'm gonna do for Golem and onwards. Things are starting to hurt VERY much. I'll probably hit up the guide and see what more stuff I can build and combine.

Add in the AlchemistNPC mod, it has some gear that can carry you through between the gear-check (or reflexes of a god) of Calamity. It's probably my favorite content mod that doesn't add it's own biomes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I love calamity mod up until you get past moonlord, I super love how it expands on flamethrowers

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The answer is obvious: Just counter Calamity's superpowered enemies with Fargo's Souls mod to superpower yourself. You can basically combine almost every weapon, armor, and accessory in the game, and it gives pretty much everything a use. Great if you're a pack rat or want some way to actually power through the endgame Calamity bosses.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Spoiler'd in case someone hasn't done a blind run of Calamity yet

Our attitude over voice chat went from "We are unstoppable" to "This is a problem" in about half a second.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Xenaero posted:

Spoiler'd in case someone hasn't done a blind run of Calamity yet

Our attitude over voice chat went from "We are unstoppable" to "This is a problem" in about half a second.

'a problem' is an understatement.

I hope you're doing expert/revengence mode.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Calamity is incredibly impressive and honestly playing it again, they've tweaked a lot of the bosses (at least the ones from early game to mid-late hardmode) to be less bullshit. The perforator hive and hivemind have genuinely good attack patterns and design and are fun to fight. It's weird seeing a modded boss fight in Terraria that's not just absolute bullet hell bullshit. I'm sure some of the post-endgame bosses are exactly that, but some of the ones I've fought already aren't nearly as bad as they once were, in previous builds. Also even simple stuff like being able to turn Revengeance Mode off at will is a nice quality of life change. E: Is Revengeance really worth it? From what I can tell the main difference is a few unique drops in exchange for much tougher enemies across the board and an on-demand damage boost you have to build up.
The sheer amount of weapons and content are kinda boggling, even if it feels like (largely because it's constrained by the flow of the base game) some of the 'tiers' blow by incredibly quickly. The aforementioned Fargo's Souls Mod helps a bit, by taking items from every tier to create larger-scale upgrades down the line and encouraging you to try them out, since you'll have to craft them eventually anyway. Less feeling of sunk cost when you try out a weapon you don't really like as much.

Speaking of quality of life, LuiAFK is a godsend for people who don't want to grind the same tasks they've been doing in every Terraria world ever, and the associated costs make them feel like you're earning them, not just cheating them in. You save a lot of time getting multiple fishing bobbers, easier painting/building tools, an auto-hellevator, quick biome changers, and later on, even large-scale world tools like the Dirt Rod 2.0 which essentially sets up a large flat area to farm enemies in. Don't get me wrong, I like the building aspect of the game, but after making 20+ houses for the tenth time in a singleplayer world, sometimes I'd rather just stamp down some block prisons and get on with it.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like the building aspect of the game, but after making 20+ houses for the tenth time in a singleplayer world, sometimes I'd rather just stamp down some block prisons and get on with it.

I started using 'Start with Base' and don't think I can go back. Building my NPC prison got boring after a dozen worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
One thing I really liked about the Cheat Sheet mod was the ability to copy and paste tiles and walls in-game (in addition to just grabbing piles of what should be readily available but time-consuming resources to gather). I could start slow and build some things by hand, but then as there became more and more npcs I could easily replicate some of the base homes I made and then just modify them.