Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah it's way over due at this point.

Hell I'd take a half one.

A half canopy? So the aero screen? :v:

I put more trust in the research for IndyCar than most other series in this regard, so if they think the aero screen isn’t ready for prime time, so be it. I still think you lose nothing of the inherent “Indy-ness” going to an aero screen or full canopy, especially if you gain in safety on the other end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think a canopy could look Cool but I would lament the loss of the “rawness” of seein the driver out in the air workin n poo poo. I dunno. I like IndyCar though, first race is commin up. So that’s cool. Alright check ya later

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

I think a canopy could look Cool but I would lament the loss of the “rawness” of seein the driver out in the air workin n poo poo. I dunno. I like IndyCar though, first race is commin up. So that’s cool. Alright check ya later

That rawness went out the door in...the late ‘80s? Early ‘90s? The surrounds have been so high around the helmets, that hasn’t been the case in a while. Canopy may allow for that again possibly, ironically.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Owns :colbert:

Obviously this will never happen on the DW12 chassis. Honestly I don't think they will ever happen. However, for the safety of the drivers in a sport where a man recently died from something that a canopy could've shielded him from any bitching and moaning about THE GRIT and THE TRADITION are from regressive assholes who think that making your face a target for debris is what makes open wheel racing good.

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 20, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s understandable that they can only do so much with the DW12, but if they haven’t integrated these ideas into the successor in a few years when the chassis change, they will have failed and dropped the ball.

The thing is, though: I really don’t think that’ll happen. I have more faith in IndyCar for the next five years than NASCAR. Imagine telling that to the thread circa 2011.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

harperdc posted:

It’s understandable that they can only do so much with the DW12, but if they haven’t integrated these ideas into the successor in a few years when the chassis change, they will have failed and dropped the ball.

The thing is, though: I really don’t think that’ll happen. I have more faith in IndyCar for the next five years than NASCAR. Imagine telling that to the thread circa 2011.

I'm willing to bet there will a new chassis in 2021 which will be designed to support a windscreen, especially with the next generation engines coming in the same year.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Frond posted:

He is. I thought he was a bit of a whiner as well. I'll usually go to bat for him though as he was the last good American F1 driver, and had a promising start to his early CART career.

Remember when he inexplicably added "Jr." to his name?

Adding a Jr to your name is like adding a go-faster stripe to your daily driver

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spaced God posted:

Owns :colbert:

Obviously this will never happen on the DW12 chassis. Honestly I don't think they will ever happen. However, for the safety of the drivers in a sport where a man recently died from something that a canopy could've shielded him from any bitching and moaning about THE GRIT and THE TRADITION are from regressive assholes who think that making your face a target for debris is what makes open wheel racing good.

Complaining about safety is dumb but nobody here did that.

F1 has no canopy but has the halo.

I think that's a cool concept but you're arguing with a strawman.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Speaking of IndyCar and safety

https://twitter.com/robertwickens/status/1098264477852622848

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

look at that god drat legend

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/1097967180879224832

(This is not about worst thread)

I do wonder if international governments will figure IndyCar to be more of a cost effective form of grand prix racing to hold over F1?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

I do wonder if international governments will figure IndyCar to be more of a cost effective form of grand prix racing to hold over F1?

That was Bernie's #1 worry in the mid 90s, and he pushed Tony George into the split and strong armed Brazil/UK/Germany into building 3 weird ovals instead of letting them run at road courses to kill CARTs momentum.

These days, I think IndyCar is too small time economically to really be a worry to F1. The F1 race scam targets governments desperate for "World Stage", old boys club attention and extorts them for the privilege. IndyCar won't really give them that.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Rio oval was weird as hell.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

That was Bernie's #1 worry in the mid 90s, and he pushed Tony George into the split and strong armed Brazil/UK/Germany into building 3 weird ovals instead of letting them run at road courses to kill CARTs momentum.

These days, I think IndyCar is too small time economically to really be a worry to F1. The F1 race scam targets governments desperate for "World Stage", old boys club attention and extorts them for the privilege. IndyCar won't really give them that.

Yeah that's kinda what I was wondering about.

For the record? I don't think we'll ever see IndyCar race in europe ever again. There's just no interest there.

More so wondering if Australia, Mexico, and such will eventually be of interest because there seems to be decent enough interest in those markets.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/1097967180879224832

(This is not about worst thread)

Mexico elected a super left-wing president and there’s shock and surprise he doesn’t want to continue throwing money down a hole labeled “Formula 1”? For the record I’m not sure they’d be the type to see IndyCar as a cost-effective alternative, but the good news is Indy doesn’t usually need as much state funding for this. (Australia is different, because shipping)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.motorsport.com/tcr/news/urrutia-indy-lights-tcr-europe/4340966/

quote:

Regular Indy Lights frontrunner Santiago Urrutia will make a surprise switch to the European touring car scene in 2019 as he joins the TCR Europe grid.

https://racer.com/2019/02/20/robin-millers-mailbag-for-february-20-presented-by-honda-racing-hpd/

quote:

RM: Other than during the racing season, I start putting The Mailbag together on Sunday night and finish it by Tuesday at noon, so the Andretti-O'Ward story transpired after I'd already finished last week's. As for the story itself, yes it's true that Michael intervened and reportedly offered eight races, but Pato evidently declined because Mike Harding would have still been involved. We don’t know all the behind-the-scenes stuff between O'Ward and Harding and nobody is allowed to discuss it after their settlement, but my take is that he feels cheated and wants nothing to do with Harding.

Having said that, going with Andretti for eight races would have given Pato his best shot, and there’s nothing out there to compare with it. But, again, we don’t know the contractual ramifications of what the lawyers decided, and obviously, the O'Ward group feels very strongly about severing its ties with Harding. I don’t blame O'Ward for feeling his IndyCar career got derailed, and you can’t blame Michael for being angry for trying to help his Lights champion.

In short, what should have been a feel-good story about two teenage talents is pretty much a mess.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Frond posted:

The Rio oval was weird as hell.

Shame it's gone now, entirely. Rockingham closed this year, too. Lausitzring, I could have sworn was closing also but google tells me its on the DTM calender.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Shame it's gone now, entirely. Rockingham closed this year, too. Lausitzring, I could have sworn was closing also but google tells me its on the DTM calender.

Take?

I would have loved to have seen Rockingham and Lausitzring host a "NASCAR THUNDER"-like event. It would have been interesting to have seen if Cup racing would have been of any interest to European fans during their peak moment.

CART was a shade under a decade too late for those fans (who I feel would have shown up to go see say, Nigel Mansell race for Newman Haas) But it would have been interesting to have seen if Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr., and co. would have gotten people into the gates at that time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

But it would have been interesting to have seen if Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr., and co. would have gotten people into the gates at that time.

It would be like the NFL is in Europe - some real big fans, probably, but more people curious about the American oddity that exists nowhere else.

With CART at the time, the series was known, yes, but the drivers had some crossover due to experience/championships in Europe (see Mansell in F1 as exhibit A).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

It would be like the NFL is in Europe - some real big fans, probably, but more people curious about the American oddity that exists nowhere else.

With CART at the time, the series was known, yes, but the drivers had some crossover due to experience/championships in Europe (see Mansell in F1 as exhibit A).

Yeah but CART/CCWS 01-03 was (sadly) a different animal than CART circa 1989-1995.

I imagine the plans were being made when JV, Mansell, Emmo, Johannsen, were major players.

While I love Dario, Helio, Brack, Papis, Vasser, Andretti, Kanaan, Da Matta, De Ferran....I don't think those move the needle as much over there. I mean you bring up Michael Andretti to an F1 fan and their first response is to "LULZ MCLAREN" rather than here which is about how he should have won Indy.

There's footage of the USAC race in the late 70s where Indy is treated as some bizarre curiousity only brought to their attention by Clark and Hills feat a decade earlier.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah but CART/CCWS 01-03 was (sadly) a different animal than CART circa 1989-1995.

I imagine the plans were being made when JV, Mansell, Emmo, Johannsen, were major players.

Yeah of course, that was a given. If your biggest non-American names are junior formula washouts and Alex Zanardi it’s not moving numbers, the big names who were real ex-F1 talent would’ve been a much bigger name.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Update on DragonSpeed, engine is in the car so I guess thats a plus. At least they seem to have a good/realistic attitude about what they bit off.

https://racer.com/2019/02/21/dragonspeed-prepping-for-indycar-debut/

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

Take?

I would have loved to have seen Rockingham and Lausitzring host a "NASCAR THUNDER"-like event. It would have been interesting to have seen if Cup racing would have been of any interest to European fans during their peak moment.

CART was a shade under a decade too late for those fans (who I feel would have shown up to go see say, Nigel Mansell race for Newman Haas) But it would have been interesting to have seen if Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr., and co. would have gotten people into the gates at that time.

NASCAR raced at Rockingham for years though?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

u little rascal

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

NASCAR raced at Rockingham for years though?

"memories...like the corners of my mind....."

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1098745791340896256

Okay.

There's a way this can work...but it would have to involve the equivalent of moving a boulder up a down escalator.

-IndyCar's date NEED to be after the Indianapolis 500. It also needs USAC Silver Crown, MRTI, and perhaps...SST to ensure there's not this insane downtime on track.

-I have no idea when NASCAR could be ran. However I do know if you want that work? Nationwide/Trucks double header along with perhaps ARCA, and whatever local late models, modifieds you can get on track.

And you need both weekends running for the forseeable future to keep this track open.

Good...luck. Because I don't see NASCAR doing that at this time and IndyCar clearly isn't going to let that happen with RA being more well liked by everyone invovlved at this point.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1098745791340896256

Okay.

There's a way this can work...but it would have to involve the equivalent of moving a boulder up a down escalator.

-IndyCar's date NEED to be after the Indianapolis 500. It also needs USAC Silver Crown, MRTI, and perhaps...SST to ensure there's not this insane downtime on track.

Good luck getting Penske to move the Detroit weekend. (And that would impact IMSA too, especially since it’s dangerously close to Le Mans for many of those teams/drivers).

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

That is so true, I hope it's warmer down in St. Pete than it is up here in Michigan

Also updated OP's

EDIT: Just saw this while reviewing 2019 official driver headshots

This time you want to forget the heat otherwise that drink will melt :haw:

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 22, 2019

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Good luck getting Penske to move the Detroit weekend. (And that would impact IMSA too, especially since it’s dangerously close to Le Mans for many of those teams/drivers).

Yeah you can't afford to lose IMSA because the SCCA Trans Am series is no longer a viable thing to host as the "other" series. Even PWC has taken a severe nose dive under their new management.

Kinda easier when your "fall back" had Tommy Kendall, Scott Sharp, Jack Baldwin and Ron Fellows.

Still...I think it does some harm television wise. Lot of oval fans and fans of the sport from a casual perspective just don't tune in for it.

Feels better to have Milwaukee or Texas to help pad it out in that realm.

Just not exactly in the position to really pull it off at the moment it seems.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im unreasonably amped for this season to start, i feel like indycar has been gone for years

https://twitter.com/Fieldof33_blog/status/1099036065309093888

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1097239264566272000

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ALSO MAKE UR PREDICTIONS:

Champion: Rossi
500 Winner: Dixon

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Champ: Rossi
500: Hinch

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Champion: Newgarden
500 Winner: Hinchcliffe

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Champion: Ferrucci
500: Marco

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

500: Pagenaud

Also I bet by Toronto we hear rumblings of Penske trying to sign Rossi.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

500: Hinch :unsmith:

(the '500' pick is more a lottery than anything, but I do think Rossi will find the way to nail the championship down this year)

also by bold prediction: we get a third engine supplier announced by Indy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

500: Hinch :unsmith:

(the '500' pick is more a lottery than anything, but I do think Rossi will find the way to nail the championship down this year)

also by bold prediction: we get a third engine supplier announced by Indy.

Fan with sources seems to think so fwiw.
(lol Trackforum)

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php/221588-A-Little-Birdie-Just-Told-Me-Today

Cosworth is ready regardless I think.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

George Zimmer posted:

500: Marco

Indy 500: Ferrucci
Most popular driver: Ferrucci
Hail : Satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

harperdc posted:

I'd say it's less of a lottery and more of being honored by the racing gods. At least that's how I view the last 3 winners:
Rossi for the whole American rookie for 💯
Sato was a lifetime achievement award
Power for career achievement