Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We bag another Superfort.

They came back?

Warhawks mean these are land based planes, so there is no point in rushing carriers north.

The Allies are throwing wave after wave of planes at me. I think their trying to use up all my ammo.

We're ruining a new crop of air cadets it seems. With Guam being confirmed a land based attack, (The carrier planes are from ditches from a carrier battle in the region), I send my fleets south again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Rota needs to be retaken. I think it's the only spot the Allies currently have that's in B-29 range of the Home Islands.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Sandman posted:

Rota needs to be retaken. I think it's the only spot the Allies currently have that's in B-29 range of the Home Islands.

A pilot who flies a Superfort all the way from Rota to Japan and back could be detected 30 miles offshore by the clanging of his tremendous brass balls.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Sandman posted:

Entire Soviet Union lurks menacingly

Actually in this timeline do you think the Americans would try and get a deal to let them start making GBS threads out airbases all over the Russian Far East to bomb Japan from? Because island hopping is NOT working but they gotta get close somehow...

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
B-29s operated from Kharagpur and Kwanghan (near Chengdu) and attacked targets as far away as Palembang, Bangkok, Anshan (north of Korea), and Yawata (in Japan), among other targets in Japan. Rota to Tokyo is actually quite a bit closer than the Chengdu bases.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheDemon posted:

B-29s operated from Kharagpur and Kwanghan (near Chengdu) and attacked targets as far away as Palembang, Bangkok, Anshan (north of Korea), and Yawata (in Japan), among other targets in Japan. Rota to Tokyo is actually quite a bit closer than the Chengdu bases.

Must've sounded like the Bells of Notre Dame.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Zeroisanumber posted:

A pilot who flies a Superfort all the way from Rota to Japan and back could be detected 30 miles offshore by the clanging of his tremendous brass balls.

You know that Tinian was our primary airbase for the bombing campaign against Japan IRL, right?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

The Sandman posted:

You know that Tinian was our primary airbase for the bombing campaign against Japan IRL, right?

When that was going on there weren't major Japanese fighter bases on the other three major islands in the Marianas.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The carriers cause some trouble on the way down.

Aces clash as we see off another raid.

Another troop convoy goes down.

Ndeni gets some planes in the air to surprise the allies.

The carriers make their mark again. We've not seen an Allied carrier in a while either.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Another APA. Jeeeez.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
... Man, if Grey could do something about Allied subs this war would be OVER with.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

wedgekree posted:

... Man, if Grey could do something about Allied subs this war would be OVER with.

Yeah it's the silent service really keeping the allies in this one.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

18 February 1945

USS Gamble, a destroyer-minesweeper, is severely damaged by JNAF bomb hits and not repaired.

19 February 1945

No sinkings to report, but US Marines land on Iwo Jima today. You know, just for comparison to the Greyverse timeline.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BUG JUG posted:

Yeah it's the silent service really keeping the allies in this one.

I'd go so far as to say that the Allied submarine service would have defeated Japan eventually, had they enough time

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd go so far as to say that the Allied submarine service would have defeated Japan eventually, had they enough time

Considering the Tench-class was coming online in late-44 it was only a matter of time.

By this point in history the Japanese Merchant Marine was all but destroyed by air and submarine attacks.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hey guys, I just found out that FNG is getting a 3rd Edition in a couple of months.

You all know what that means.....

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
You'll kill me in the introductory paragraph again?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yes. If you walk into another ambush.

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

A new power is rising! Its victory is at hand! This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan!

Grey Hunter posted:

Hey guys, I just found out that FNG is getting a 3rd Edition in a couple of months.

God that thread was amazing. I only caught it after it was over, but still an hilarious read. Can't wait to see another one!

By the way, is there a way to play as the NVA or the VC in this game?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I am still deeply disappointed in the fact that the Aussie soldiers could only huck a grenade like 50 feet. Sure they're heavier than a football or baseball and not aerodynamic, but real Red Blooded Corn Fed American lads should be able to heave that baby at least three-four times as far!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Aww yeah buddy.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

OH YES :dance:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What is FNG?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Bold Robot posted:

What is FNG?

Pffft. Look at this FNG.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Found someone to take point

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I pay a heavy price for this hit.

The Bettys are on a mission.

The skies remain ours.

I'd stop the Bettys, but I want them hunting targets in other directions. And no, you can't give them arcs for naval strike missions.

Bold Robot posted:

What is FNG?

Original thread here
I copied the turns to my underused wargaming blog here.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

20 February 1945

Air raids sink the German torpedo boats TA-40 (ex-Italian Pugnale) at Monfalcone and TA-48 (ex-Yugoslav, ex-Italian T-3) at Trieste. The front falls off corvette HMS Vervain after a torpedo hit by U-1208 near Waterford.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Down goes another Superfort!

The flak is heavier here today!

We still get our hits in however.

Less than I would like though.

A quieter day, but we still got our hits in.

One of our ships randomly sinks. No-one knows why.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Reality asserted itself momentarily, claiming the W-19, before skipping out for a quick breakfast, itself never to be seen again.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Grey Hunter posted:

The flak is heavier here today!

That's a ton of 40mm guns.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Down goes a Liberator.

Just a load of normal inefficient bombing runs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Time to continue getting up close and personal!

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

W-19 is a destroyer-minesweeper? Well, if history is any guide, mines are the likely culprit. It looks like the historical ship was sunk by an air raid on 10 December 1941, same as Prince of Wales and Repulse.

21 February 1945

CVE USS Bismarck Sea sinks following uncontrollable fires caused by kamikaze off Iwo Jima. Saratoga was heavily damaged in the same attack.

22 February 1945

Corvette HMCS Trentonian floods rapidly after a homing torpedo hit to the stern by U-1004 outside Falmouth.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

W-19 is a destroyer-minesweeper? Well, if history is any guide, mines are the likely culprit.

That made me think of something, I don't think i've ever seen a report of even the presence of mines in the game?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Mans posted:

That made me think of something, I don't think i've ever seen a report of even the presence of mines in the game?
The Japanese players in Saros' ongoing WitP Guadalcanal LP will confirm for you that they exist and they can be quite effective.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Go for the ships!

Much better!

Boom! This is overkill!

Down they go!

The second wave does some damage, but takes more hits.

We keep taking them down.

We're losing planes, but they are taking many hits.

Well, I lost 33 planes, but they lost 50.

As well as many, many ships.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Au revoir, Shoshone!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The second attack on the cruisers did well because they had even numbers. And 'well' means 'managed to see the cruisers' not 'cause any damage to the cruisers'

Also it's late February 1945 and the KB is raiding Luganville and succeeding :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

A new power is rising! Its victory is at hand! This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan!
Grey you have so many different types of planes in your CV task force it reminds me of all the german Sd Kfz series. But then again, they are doing their job, so that's not a bad thing.