Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CJacobs posted:

Had a question for folks that know the game better than I do. I'm trying to plan out my livestream so that I can do sidequests and plot quests in tandem without distracting from the story too much, and I've come to a logical rubik's cube I need help solving (route A spoilers). I need to do these sidequests during Route A. However I don't want to spend a whole stream just running around doing side-stuff so I'm trying to split it up. Once you do the Missile Supply quest and 9S is subsequently kidnapped, a number of sidequests become unavailable until (I assume) Route B. However, there is a brief window of time after you rescue 9S from Adam but before you go to the Machine Factory where you can free-roam with just 2B by hherself. Can you do any of these quests during that time? Please let me know if you remember.

As far as I know, no.

All of those involve some dialogue between 9S and 2B and I'm pretty sure none of those quests are available without 9S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've always felt the whole "buy it for piddly amounts of cash" thing seemed more to me like a "don't let game devs tell you what you consider your actual achievements, that's for you to decide. Here, just have them all if that's what is important to you, ours are meaningless anyway." move, which was about empowering the player, not mocking them.

I hadn't thought about it this way. Of course this game would consider achievements, both the gaming type and in the general sense, to be meaningless. And it shows it in the only way possible for a game: it trivializes them. I'm also reminded of the racing machine side quest, where it kills itself after also realizing that chasing achievements is meaningless.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Well, besides the amazing comedic timing i read that quest ending more as him having accomplished everything that had meaning to him personally and so he was satisfied and fulfilled which is kind of mirrored in how you can delete your savegame after you've feel you've accomplished everything you wanted from the game.

It's a bit grim as a philosophic take that i personally don't share but is tonally consistent with the game (and maybe franchise?) Yoko Taro put it in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Well, besides the amazing comedic timing i read that quest ending more as him having accomplished everything that had meaning to him personally and so he was satisfied and fulfilled which is kind of mirrored in how you can delete your savegame after you've feel you've accomplished everything you wanted from the game.

It's a bit grim as a philosophic take that i personally don't share but is tonally consistent with the game (and maybe franchise?) Yoko Taro put it in.

Same with Father Servo.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I don't agree. I think the racing machine found that after accomplishing what he thought had meaning to him, there was no meaning left. It's kind of a Japanese cultural thing to obsess over "perfecting your craft" and I think Taro is saying to his Japanese audience that it's not the way.

Also I felt that the ending was more of a sacrifice rather than a nice and neat endcap to the game. You're likely to run into it before finishing all the side quests and if it was as moving to you as it was trying to be, then it would have been hard to say no in the moment.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So, I've finally decided to give this game a go after having had it sit in my backlog for a long time. I've avoided spoilers for the most part aside from knowing there are multiple endings which I gather come from multiple play throughs.

I've also not really read this thread to speak of also to avoid spoilers. So I've probably missed the answer to my question in this very thread. I was looking for if there were anythings or tips I should know going in.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Only advice I have is don't go crazy doing sidequests until you unlock fast travel. That and don't worry about missing anything because you'll eventually unlock chapter select. Other than that just go for it

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Only advice I have is don't go crazy doing sidequests until you unlock fast travel. That and don't worry about missing anything because you'll eventually unlock chapter select. Other than that just go for it

Thanks. That's helpful enough. There seem to be quite a few side quests popping up. So far they haven't been hugely rewarding.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

DisposableHero posted:

So, I've finally decided to give this game a go after having had it sit in my backlog for a long time. I've avoided spoilers for the most part aside from knowing there are multiple endings which I gather come from multiple play throughs.

I've also not really read this thread to speak of also to avoid spoilers. So I've probably missed the answer to my question in this very thread. I was looking for if there were anythings or tips I should know going in.

The game has an incredible story and narrative, its gameplay is less thrilling so its not a terrible thing to crack it down to easy if you are so inclined and you'll still get all the best parts of the experience.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

DisposableHero posted:

I was looking for if there were anythings or tips I should know going in.
Pay attention to chip cost (how much space they need, not how much you pay for them). Chips with a black diamond next to their name are the lowest cost possible. Once in a while you should sell your crappy high-cost chips and only keep the low-cost ones because same category chips sell for the exact same amount no matter their cost.

Eventually you'll be able to buy a auto-collect items chip. As soon as you see one, buy it. Sell stuff if you need to, just get it asap, it's worth it.

You can only save near save points but note that you don't actually need to walk up to the save point, as long as you're within wi-fi range you may pause the game to quick save, it's the very first option of the menu.
Quick saves are exactly the same as system saves, the latter are only useful when you want to rotate save slots.

There's a Souls style death system where you must recover your body. Unlike Souls games, where you only lose your money if you don't retrieve your corpse, in Nier you'll lose your equipment. Save often.

EDIT: Forgot the most important one: this is a Platinum game and of course there's a taunt mechanic. Mash L3 to enrage enemies with the pod's flashlight.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 28, 2019

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Thanks folks.

Combat wise I haven't had any major issues aside from early on getting my reflexes for when to dodge calibrated. The dodge seems fairly generous though.

I'm a little vague on the chips. At least early on vendors haven't had anything that looks like it will effect my character's statistics. Just UI functionality and the like. I gather this opens up?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Yes, more chips will become available from merchants (auto-collect items, etc), some of them you'll get as sidequest rewards but most you pick up as loot from enemies. Most chips are combat focused, as you'll soon see. Early on, the best thing to spend money on is chip space upgrades.

There's an inventory limit so every so often fuse the garbage chips and sell the results. If I'm not mistaken, the money received from selling a level (X+1) chip is more than what you spent fusing the 2 level X chips required to make it.

Fusing 2 diamond chips always nets a diamond chip.

Items that say "Can be exchanged for money" in the description have no use as upgrade materials or anything important. If an item doesn't say that don't sell it unless you're full.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Storm One posted:

There's a Souls style death system where you must recover your body. Unlike Souls games, where you only lose your money if you don't retrieve your corpse, in Nier you'll lose your equipment. Save often.

I don't recall anything being lost upon death. At least nothing significant. Retrieving your body gives you the option to get some resources or you can choose to have a (very bad) buddy for combat. It's really not worth it to go out of your way to get your body back. You won't lose like, a weapon, or anything.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
All your chips stay with your body and if you die twice before recovering them, they're gone, which is a pretty heavy blow. Thankfully the game is piss easy.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Unlike in Souls it doesn’t auto save when you die. So just load a save and you won’t have to worry about it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So Yoko Taro is a guest producer for the new 24-man raid in the new Final Fantasy XIV expansion

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Veotax posted:

So Yoko Taro is a guest producer for the new 24-man raid in the new Final Fantasy XIV expansion

And I guess Soul Calibur's 2P is canon now.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
If you can successfully win that raid, Yoko Taro was there in name only.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Veotax posted:

End of the raid requires you to delete your character data.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
https://twitter.com/An_ca_te/status/1091721935241838593?s=19

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ah, so his plan to destroy humanity begins with getting more people addicted to MMOs. Makes sense.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DisposableHero posted:

The dodge seems fairly generous though.

Dodge spamming is at least close to invincibility.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

https://gematsu.com/2019/02/nier-automata-2nd-anniversary-live-stream-set-for-february-20

Two hour livestream Feb 20 @ 8:00pm Japan time, for the game's two year anniversary and plugging the Game of the YoRHA Edition.

quote:

The following guests are scheduled to appear:

Yosuke Saito (producer)
Yoko Taro (director)
Keiichi Okabe (composer)
Takahisa Taura (Platinum Games game designer)
Naoki Yoshida (Final Fantasy XIV producer and director)
Special guest(s)

quote:

Special guest(s)

:dogcited:

I cannot wait to learn about Yosuke Saito's family (assuming they're the special guests) and finding out his favorite rice dish...

...as well as favorite beverage!!!!

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Stream starts in 7 hours, don't bother sleeping tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KebeC2YeTQI

http://live.nicovideo.jp/gate/lv318383441

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Seems the stream is just to promote all of the new merchandise, the release of the GOTY edition, and the SINoALICE tie-in with OG Nier. However, they did mention that the current Steam version of Automata is being replaced by the new version, whatever that means. Perhaps like the Dark Souls 1 remaster where the original won't be available for purchase anymore once GOTY comes out.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Started 25 minutes ago!!!

So far they've plugged the Game of the YoRHa edition, announced a NieR Replicant / SinoAlice collaboration, and Blu-Ray release of one of the Automata orchestra concerts.

e: oh f;b

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CJacobs posted:

Seems the stream is just to promote all of the new merchandise, the release of the GOTY edition, and the SINoALICE tie-in with OG Nier. However, they did mention that the current Steam version of Automata is being replaced by the new version, whatever that means. Perhaps like the Dark Souls 1 remaster where the original won't be available for purchase anymore once GOTY comes out.

Hopefully it means the computer version will be better optomized now.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Takeaways were:

1. Buy Nier Automata merch

2. YoRHa stage plays are popular and successful so they're going to make more

3. 2020 will be Automata's 3rd anniversary and NieR's 10th! They'll celebrate by eating nabe (Japanese hot pot)

4. Please buy Astral Chain on Nintendo Switch

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah unfortunately they didn't say anything super important. They're being extremely cagey about the quality of the GOTY PC version so I'm just gonna assume it'll be a new release of the same build we have now with no changes. Given the reputation it has for running like crap, if the new one was overhauled in any way then they would've led with it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Still no reason to believe they’ll ever release original nier on something other than physical discs for the last gen consoles, is there? I’ve been having a hankering to play, but all I have is a 360 with a broken disc reader so I can’t :(

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Wanted to finish up reading through Id's LP before I came back to talk about the game, because I'm sure there were five billion things I missed or that just went over my head (and there have been, lol), but oh my god I had to come in and say Id's kid's artwork is perfect :allears:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Has anyone created a subbed version of the stage play 1.2 since the last I checked? I'd love to watch it with my wife as a primer before she starts playing Automata.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://gfycat.com/temptingalertharborporpoise

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

So I just got this from Gamefly and I'm curious about the different endings. Are the methods to achieving them fairly obvious, or is there some kind of guide I'll need to consult?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The "main" endings are obvious and you'll easily get them through normal play. The other endings are mostly, if not all, gags. Whether you care enough to see them is on you, but none of them are missable in the first place so whatever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

So I just got this from Gamefly and I'm curious about the different endings. Are the methods to achieving them fairly obvious, or is there some kind of guide I'll need to consult?

A through D are obvious. E won’t be a surprise after those four. F through Z you’ll probably have to look up.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
eat fish

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
A through E, yes, just play the game and you'll get them all, though eventually you'll have to go through chapter select and make a different choice when replaying a certain section. It'll be pretty obvious.

F-Z except for Y, you will probably need a guide for some of them, but for the most part just do anything the game clearly doesn't want you to do and you'll find a bunch of them.

Ending Y, you'll probably want a guide for. This is the only one you can miss, but you'll probably need a guide to even get to the point where you could miss it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can also easily get E before C and D (although you get credit for D if you do E)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Kibayasu posted:

You can also easily get E before C and D (although you get credit for D if you do E)

huh, how does that work?