Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

totalnewbie posted:

I'm going to feed people shepherd's pie for pi day. Any suggestions for sides?

I thought about mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables, but the mashed potatoes seemed like a bit much given the shepherd's pie. Maybe I'll make some anyway but..

Peas are great with cottage or shepherd's pie, and if you want something a bit fancier than plain peas, why not make minted petit pois, which would work well with the lamb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
So if you were going to make salmon shepherds pie, or fish gratin as some plebs would call it. What veggies/sauce would you go for?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That’s a fish pie, and mange tout are the best thing to have with it

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

FYI
Beef = Cottage pie
Lamb = Shepherds pie
Fish and or seafood = Fish pie.

All have a mash potato top. You can add cheese to the mash for a fish pie.
Serve with peas, petit pois, green beans or snow peas.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

sterster posted:

So I ended up with 4 small pork tenderloin besides making a pork roast. What could I do with them. Seems wrong to use it to make pulled pork or something. Was thinking about filleting them open and stuffing the roast with spinach, artichoke and Havarti like I do when i make stuffed pork chops then tying it up.

Tenderloin you're just want to do simple and quick. The hotter and faster the better. I'd salt them, let sit for 10 minutes while you get the pan and a high temp oil screaming hot, pat the meat dry with a paper towel, then cook 1-2 minutes (depending on thickness) the first side (or till you get a nice bit of browning), flip, then cook until you hit an internal temp of 135. Pull off pan and rest under foil for 5ish minutes to come to USDA approved temps. Serve with the stuffing on the side, and a nice little sauce, perhaps a balsamic reduction.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Any recommendations on a vanilla flavored non-dairy ice cream? I've found a few decent ice creams, but none that do a plain vanilla very well.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Make mark bittman’s twice cooked pork tenderloin, it’s delicious and easy and impressive. I know other goons in this thread also endorse it. I’d post the link but I’m lazy and you may be able to find it by checking my posts in this thread.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
This is kind of gross and not really a cooking question, but how do you deal with roaches in the kitchen? I think they tagged along from the roach-infested apartment I lived in prior to this one.

They're the smaller kind that only get up to about 3/4". Poking around online they sound like German Cockroaches. The more academic websites I've found say being more sanitary, less cluttered, and making sure they don't have access to food and water is the trick. This makes a lot of sense, but I live in an apartment with two other single men so we'll see lol.

I tried using one of the commercial traps for small roaches (Combat brand) and it seemed to eliminate all the adult roaches for about a week but didn't do anything about the babies, who are now adults again and don't seem to be affected by the traps at all. I feel like I'm not sure if the original traps actually did anything or if I just put them out at the same time the first generation died out or something.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Call an exterminator. No mercy.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Assuming your apartment complex doesn't suck, the management will be very interested in your roach problem and send someone to spray poison all over the place if you alert them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

diatomaceous earth

I'm moving soon because the people upstairs literally do not take out trash so there're mice in the ceiling and walls. I'm going to be very angry if any hitch a ride, any suggestions to avoid that?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

DasNeonLicht posted:

Call an exterminator. No mercy.

fart store posted:

Assuming your apartment complex doesn't suck, the management will be very interested in your roach problem and send someone to spray poison all over the place if you alert them.

ALL THESE THINGS. My wife used to be a pest tech. Take the nuclear option otherwise the problem is going to be around for a long time. Even after you have them spray you are still going to want to keep things clean and sanitary to the best of your ability. Additionally, it may not even be your problem. You said you were in an apartment and they could be coming from another tenant's apartment

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sterster posted:

Additionally, it may not even be your problem. You said you were in an apartment and they could be coming from another tenant's apartment

Which is why it's important to let management know. A competent management company will want to check out the neighboring units to see if they also have them and if there's a housekeeping issue with any of them that could be causing it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 20, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

diatomaceous earth

I'm moving soon because the people upstairs literally do not take out trash so there're mice in the ceiling and walls. I'm going to be very angry if any hitch a ride, any suggestions to avoid that?

Burn everything.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Mice, being warm-blooded mammals, don't exactly spawn from unattended eggs, so as long as you don't physically bring a portion of dry wall with a mouse nest and breeding pair inside they're not going to hitch a ride the same way bugs might.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Agreed, but I can't really open up every box on moving day to make sure none decided to nest in them. I'm hoping they just keep chilling behind the fridge wall.

Would blasting or killing the heat close to moving day encourage the mice to gently caress off from my floor?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When you finish packing a box, tape it up. If chew holes appear, repack that box.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Killing the heat (and airing out the apartment so it actually cools down) would discourage nesting in your stuff instead of the relatively cozy and wsrm neighbour's walls, at least. But yea, just tape your boxes shut and check any that look chewed when you move them.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but didn't want to start a new thread.

There's a woman that worked for the place I work at through a Goodwill program, and just found out that she can't work anymore due to the program being incompatible with her SSI. She has very little money and is losing this program and she's not in a good place financially and until she can get food stamps and other things going, she's in trouble. I had our office manager get her address and I want to send her some things like a rice cooker and a bag of rice and some quinoa through Amazon, along with some things to make it healthier and not taste horrible; I've lived off of a limited income and rice has really helped me out. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can include in the care package? Cooking with rice cook book, ingredients, etc? I have my own ideas - but don't want to limit her to the things I like to eat if she doesn't like it.

Any help would be appreciated - I'm not much of a cooking person. If there's another route that might be better, I'm open to suggestions.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

OneTwentySix posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but didn't want to start a new thread.

There's a woman that worked for the place I work at through a Goodwill program, and just found out that she can't work anymore due to the program being incompatible with her SSI. She has very little money and is losing this program and she's not in a good place financially and until she can get food stamps and other things going, she's in trouble. I had our office manager get her address and I want to send her some things like a rice cooker and a bag of rice and some quinoa through Amazon, along with some things to make it healthier and not taste horrible; I've lived off of a limited income and rice has really helped me out. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can include in the care package? Cooking with rice cook book, ingredients, etc? I have my own ideas - but don't want to limit her to the things I like to eat if she doesn't like it.

Any help would be appreciated - I'm not much of a cooking person. If there's another route that might be better, I'm open to suggestions.
Rice, beans, and a link to this cookbook. You can also buy her a forum account and link her to this thread. People love it when they get bought forum accounts on SomethingAwful.com, especially if they've never heard of it.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

fart store posted:

(and all the other helpful replies)

Thanks for the advice, our management seems to be pretty good and the other units I've lived in in this complex have always been roach-free. I put in a maintenance request today.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

diatomaceous earth

Call around to local exterminators to see if they have freezers that you can put your stuff in for a few days. Especially kitchen and bathroom area items, and linens. They charge for this service, but a few days in deep freeze will kill anything lurking in your stuff.

Take the time to inspect all items, open and empty all boxes before repacking, and unfold all linens, particularly folded comforters and other seasonal or rarely used items.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I had to curtain off the kitchen and bug bomb, but that's probably not an option for shared area like an apartment. Alert the landlord and/or call an exterminator. Definitely keep all food sealed in a container but I learned that roaches can live off paper so empty all your drawers completely.

Trigger warning: the horror stories I have living with a gross dude who thought MEAT SCRAPS was compostable. At one time if you turned on the oven you would see tiny fireballs bursting because the roaches were living in the oven and didn't scurry away fast enough. We couldn't even see the oven timer because there was a fat one living inbetween the LCD screen.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

al-azad posted:

At one time if you turned on the oven you would see tiny fireballs bursting because the roaches were living in the oven and didn't scurry away fast enough.

But how did they taste?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I was going to ask about cornmeal in yeast bread, but now I've completely lost my appetite.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bagheera posted:

I was going to ask about cornmeal in yeast bread, but now I've completely lost my appetite.

I put cornmeal in my soaker (grains left overnight to soak in water) sometimes.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Anyone have any favorite cast-iron skillet recipes? I just got one for my birthday.

I'm looking forward to making (trying to anyway) lots of pan-roasted chicken thighs. Roasting whole chickens in them also seems fun?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
How long in an instant pot do you guys think it would take to reduce sweet potatoes to mash? Or should I just bake em

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Captainsalami posted:

How long in an instant pot do you guys think it would take to reduce sweet potatoes to mash? Or should I just bake em

If all you want is mush, microwave them.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Mashed sweet potato burritos are the poo poo man.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Captainsalami posted:

as it turns out not very long, 10 min on high for some sweet potatoes and chicken thighs simply yields thighs in orange mush, not mash just mush

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DasNeonLicht posted:

Anyone have any favorite cast-iron skillet recipes? I just got one for my birthday.

I'm looking forward to making (trying to anyway) lots of pan-roasted chicken thighs. Roasting whole chickens in them also seems fun?

You'll want to pick a specific recipe based on what style you like (I find the serious eats one pretty good), but, in general, cast-iron skillets are wonderful for cornbread.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Captainsalami posted:

Mashed sweet potato burritos are the poo poo man.

I do em roasted with some cumin and cayenne + salt and pepper for burritos, it is so good.

Anyway, besides coq au vin, what are some good hearty poultry-based stews? I'm really, really craving irish stew and stuff but my partner doesn't eat red meat or pork, so lamb/beef stews are right out.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DasNeonLicht posted:

"Fire-pit Fontina with Tomatoes, Rosemary and Lemon" from Date Night In, a book I highly recommend if you like special composed meals you can partially prep ahead of time.

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp minced shallot
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
5 oz fontina, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Lemon zest
Fresh rosemary
Bread or fresh pretzels for serving

Heat oil on high. Sauté shallots until soft, ~5 minutes. Add tomatoes until very juicy, 3-4 minutes. Add cheese, stir until melted, finish with zest and rosemary.

It's like fondue but somehow sexier, and with the cast iron on a trivet it stays warm on the table well :)

My wife said patatas bravas, and I agree on that too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gallatin posted:

as it turns out not very long, 10 min on high for some sweet potatoes and chicken thighs simply yields thighs in orange mush, not mash just mush

So moisture retention in a pressure cooker is much higher than normal. Might that be the issue here?

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

spankmeister posted:

So moisture retention in a pressure cooker is much higher than normal. Might that be the issue here?

My test wasn't that scienc-y, I just had an extra sweet potato last time I made chicken. However given the density and moisture content of a sweet potato combined with the high pressure and temperature in an instant pot that would make sense

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DasNeonLicht posted:

The ‘easy southern cornbread’ recipe on the bag of Martha White self rising corn meal mix is good. Preheat the skillet in the oven and rub butter or bacon grease all over it before you put the batter in. Use full fat buttermilk not regular milk and add a pinch of salt.

Friends don’t let friends put sugar in cornbread.

Steaks are great in cast iron too. Dry off steaks and salt well-leave on a wire rack in the fridge overnight. Throw the steaks in the freezer for 10 min before cooking, get the skillet good and hot, turn the heat to medium/medium low cook steaks on one side for 4-5 minutes, flip them over and put everything in a 550 degree oven for 4-5 min until done to your liking. Put steaks on a plate and rest for 10 min with a little butter on top.

I’ll have to find this great recipe from Saveur or Bon Appetit for Georgian-style spatchcocked Cornish game hens cooked in butter till they’re crispy all over with some yoghurt garlicky sauce that’s fine in cast iron.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I used to have a recipe for pressure caramelized (well, maillard) sweet potatoes, but I've lost it somehow. You can cook sweet potatoes with a little baking soda and since the temperature gets so high combined with an elevated pH it produces a nice maillard taste. I think the method I used had a baking soda/water slurry, pressure cook for some amount of time, then probably a natural release. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bagheera posted:

I make this all the time. It's Portuguese - called broa.