Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

requested in sequel:

- less grind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ruin, has come to our mountain.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Success will only fall into rubble

beware the slags of victory

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Curiosity, interest, and obsession — mile markers on my road to the release date.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 19, 2019

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
In a shocking twist, the story is unrelated and is merely the characters operating a lemonade stand.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Party management would be great. And all of the ice/hp style creatures from a mountain milieu would be awesome.

How many classes is too many? I'd like a few more and some of the lesser performing (no pun intended) classes to get an overhaul.

So now we have to keep track of food/light/temperature?

I can't wait.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I will finally learn the victor between a leper and a yeti.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Party management would be super cool, but I think my #1 ask is a combat overhaul which expands the number of viable roles.

Like, right now you have DPS, Healer, Stress Healer, and Stunner. That's a pretty narrow design space for the current fifteen classes let alone any additions in a sequel. Something like the creation of a true debuff role or an expansion of the Antiquarian concept could do a lot to open up room to play around in. Imagine if there was a class that gave you 2-4 more inventory slots!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Honestly, I'd be perfectly content with only the Occultist, Houndmaster, Flagellant, and Shieldbreaker reprising and all other classes being brand new.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
:buddy:

Time_pants posted:

Honestly, I'd be perfectly content with only the Occultist, Houndmaster, Flagellant, and Shieldbreaker reprising and all other classes being brand new.

Shieldbreaker would still need an overhaul. With the right trinket set she absolutely wrecked every end-game dungeon. Like, to the extent that I wouldn't call all four of the DDs in any way difficult.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

double nine posted:

requested in sequel:

- more weald

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Old Boot posted:

Shieldbreaker would still need an overhaul. With the right trinket set she absolutely wrecked every end-game dungeon. Like, to the extent that I wouldn't call all four of the DDs in any way difficult.

shieldbreaker clashed thematically because her backstory and style was too special

like the other classes had backstories for an individual from that class but were ultimately generic and disposable as befit the theme. you knew the story of one particular crusader but ultimately there was nothing unique about a man with faith and a sword that you couldn't replace.

then you have shieldbreaker running around with one arm being attacked by snake demons. how many one-armed snake-haunted girls do you expect me to believe are running around out there?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Old Boot posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuup!

E (for content): I really loved everything about the Shieldbreaker. Like... everything. Favorite class visually, mechanically, in terms of story, etc. She was just perfect.

As for the character not fitting within the setting, I remember reading that, early on, l of the heroes were supposed to be unique, named characters rather than recruitable classes. I don't think I'd object to that actually being realized in Darkest Dungeon 2. It would certainly cut down on the grind if you only had one of each hero.

The current way is good, too. I certainly don't mind if classes remain recruitable in Darkest Dungeon 2, but if they wanted to change it up and make each character unique within the story and world, I think it might be neat.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 20, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

She murders endless mode as well. The shield breaker is just busted. Basically, her only liability is below average health for a front-liner, and even that is largely negated by Sway.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

cock hero flux posted:

shieldbreaker clashed thematically because her backstory and style was too special

like the other classes had backstories for an individual from that class but were ultimately generic and disposable as befit the theme. you knew the story of one particular crusader but ultimately there was nothing unique about a man with faith and a sword that you couldn't replace.

then you have shieldbreaker running around with one arm being attacked by snake demons. how many one-armed snake-haunted girls do you expect me to believe are running around out there?

Except given the comics and character barks, this isn't actually true? Shieldbreaker's backstory is just more front and center as a gimmick and a barrier to entry, since, yeah, she's an ultra-powerful character. If you want the ultra-powerful character, you need to survive some seriously rough fights in which it's entirely possible for her to lose her loving mind. I'm not sure it was the most elegant way to do it, but once you get past those nightmares, every Shieldbreaker you recruit is just another castmember. Just happens to be a hilariously OP one.

But yeah, no, the other characters all have set backstories that are occasionally referenced in their camp and affliction dialogue, which, while a little odd given roster size, is definitely a thing.

EDIT: :arghfist:

Time_pants posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuup!

E (for content): I really loved everything about the Shieldbreaker. Like... everything. Favorite class visually, mechanically, in terms of story, etc. She was just perfect.

As for the character not fitting within the setting, I remember reading that, early on, l of the heroes were supposed to be unique, named characters rather than recruitable classes. I don't think I'd object to that actually being realized in Darkest Dungeon 2. It would certainly cut down on the grind if you only had one of each hero.

The current way is good, too. I certainly don't mind if classes remain recruitable in Darkest Dungeon 2, but if they wanted to change it up and make each character unique within the story and world, I think it might be neat.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the class and the concept. She's broken as gently caress and needs rebalancing (or at the very least needs to have more downtime to recover), but I really enjoy her thematics and design and-- yeah, as you say, pretty much everything.

DD2 having a more static roster would be perfectly all right by me, but I do think it'd lose something in the depersonalization angle that characterizes the ~~ludonarrative~~ and meta of the game. There's something really hilarious about plucking an MAA out of the Hero Distribution Center and saying 'No, I don't need to know your name. So far as I'm concerned, it's Captain Backslap now, and I'm afraid we're going to have to put you through extensive electroshock to get rid of those nasty religious convictions you've had all your life. It's fine if you have them, I suppose, and I realize this is a deeply personal matter, but you must understand, it's incredibly inconvenient for me and my agenda, and-- Oh, speaking of, fill out this survey, I need to know what other debilitating and otherwise humiliating flaws you have.'

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 20, 2019

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

cock hero flux posted:

I only ever recruit 1 shieldbreaker or flagellant.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Old Boot posted:

But yeah, no, the other characters all have set backstories that are occasionally referenced in their camp and affliction dialogue, which, while a little odd given roster size, is definitely a thing.

iunno what you're talking about, I'm pretty sure all being a swole poet-king just goes hand in hand with leprosy

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The trailer definitely silhouettes the PD, MAA, Leper, HWM, Hellion, and Grave Robber. I must note that seems to cut out the two biggest healers of the game (Occ/Ves) and the two biggest flex-healers (Cru/Arb). Calling it: no healing in DD-2.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 20, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Why would I want to waste my time on a dungeon of inferior darkness

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why would I want to waste my time on a dungeon of inferior darkness

darker still

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Occultist is there, at least in the official Facebook page.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bogart posted:

Calling it: no healing in DD-2.

I could sget behind this from a balance perspective, since once you have a handle on the Vestal, Houndmaster, and Jester the attention aspect of the game kinda ceases to be a relevant threat. They've buffed reenforcements multiple times and still not put much of a dent on how powerful those classes are for sustaining the party. But removing them does then introduce the problem of limiting the number of class roles even further.

I think in my perfect dream world, the game would use a system something like exists in Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda where each character has a set of either priming or detonating powers that combo off the powers of other characters in the roster.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Skippy McPants posted:

I could sget behind this from a balance perspective, since once you have a handle on the Vestal, Houndmaster, and Jester the attention aspect of the game kinda ceases to be a relevant threat. They've buffed reenforcements multiple times and still not put much of a dent on how powerful those classes are for sustaining the party. But removing them does then introduce the problem of limiting the number of class roles even further.

I think in my perfect dream world, the game would use a system something like exists in Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda where each character has a set of either priming or detonating powers that combo off the powers of other characters in the roster.

Phantasy Star 4 macros.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

please give everyone thick warm clothes

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
5% chance whenever fighting a Large type enemy in an unstable tunnel that its death throes will knock out a support beam and cause a tunnel collapse, instantly killing the entire party.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Synthbuttrange posted:

please give everyone thick warm clothes

I'm just so worried about the poor leper.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I'm honestly just hoping they lean harder into the body horror/eldtrich side of things. The skellies were pretty underwhelming. Wall of heads and shoggoths pls.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Uh... did you went through the Warrens and the Weald? Or the Court? Plenty of body horror there.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I don't know how they'd do it narratively but I hope all the bosses are the result of your ancestor being a dickhead again

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 20, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Confession time:

I never actually finished this game

the first time I played it they hadn't implemented the final dungeon yet

the second time I went back after the Crimson Court came out and I did a full run of everything and put together multiple parties to fight the final boss and fought my way down to the final boss . . .

and middle of the fight my house was literally struck by lightning and my mobo got fried because I hadn't run the ethernet cable through the power supply

sooo ever since then I've been disinclined to go back and finish, I feel like I lost my groove

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Confession time:

I never actually finished this game

the first time I played it they hadn't implemented the final dungeon yet

the second time I went back after the Crimson Court came out and I did a full run of everything and put together multiple parties to fight the final boss and fought my way down to the final boss . . .

and middle of the fight my house was literally struck by lightning and my mobo got fried because I hadn't run the ethernet cable through the power supply

sooo ever since then I've been disinclined to go back and finish, I feel like I lost my groove

On one hand, that really, really sucks on like every possible level.

On the other hand, having your run cut short due to a sudden, random, completely unexpected calamity is actually the most on-brand conclusion to Darkest Dungeon I can think of.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Time_pants posted:

On one hand, that really, really sucks on like every possible level.

Oh, it wasn't that bad overall -- the lightning actually struck a tree next to the house, and almost all our electronics were shielded, so the only damage was the controller for the house sprinkler systems, the computer's motherboard, the router (which was phone company property anyway and they replaced) and the computer's surround speaker system. Even the video card survived (fortunately, who the hell can afford a video card these days).

Steam Cloud even backed up my save, so theoretically I could go back and finish up at any time. I just . . . feel like it would be a bad idea.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

A Single Sphink posted:

Occultist is there, at least in the official Facebook page.

Where the gently caress is Crusader????

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Firstborn posted:

Gibbering in a sanitarium in the Hamlet, faith shattered, mind broken, a walking ruination damned by his glimpse into the ravening horrors at the heart of the world.

DrManiac posted:

I don't know how they'd do it narratively but I hope all the bosses are the result of your ancestor being a dickhead again

Easy, he was funding expeditions to whatever antarctic hellscape the sequel takes place in, maybe guiding someone else's "research" along in the hopes that they would continue what he could not.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 20, 2019

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Gibbering in a sanitarium in the Hamlet, faith shattered, mind broken, a walking ruination damned by his glimpse into the ravening horrors at the heart of the world.

That's too bad. Thoughts and prayers.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 20, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Samovar posted:

I'm just so worried about the poor leper.

it's okay, he can't feel it anyway

Firstborn posted:

canonically at least 2 people didn't make it

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

doggie? :ohdear:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Please have one of those sacrificed be the Jester

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Iceclaw posted:

Uh... did you went through the Warrens and the Weald? Or the Court? Plenty of body horror there.

No, I beat the game and somehow missed that completely.

EDIT: Non-lovely answer, Weald is weak on body horror vs. the Warrens, and the Cove was just kinda, eh, IDK. Fish people have been a part of the Lovecraft dealie forever, but only the Thrall really stands out as horror. Still, I'm willing to give the cove a pass for being in-theme. Was jazzed about the Thing and the Shambler, and a number of Crimson Court bosses, but that just made the Ruins and portions of the Weald come off as even more whatever by comparison. Weald has some good stuff, here and there, but it's a bit too, idk. Weirdly whimsical? In places? Which I'm willing to put at the feet of the infected giants, since the concept of 'giant' seems like it got zapped in from another concept altogether. Tonally, it's weird-- and skellies have the same feel, tbh.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Easy, he was funding expeditions to whatever antarctic hellscape the sequel takes place in, maybe guiding someone else's "research" along in the hopes that they would continue what he could not.

Given his schtick can be boiled down to 'introduce an invasive species to eradicate another invasive species, which inevitably gets out of control and requires another invasive species to bring it to heel,' this would not surprise me.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

I would respect the hell out of red hook if they bopped two character classes due to the actions of the first game.

Also dogman needs a jacket for his dog. :3: