Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Why would someone be put on a pip if the end outcome is ultimately termination anyway? This is America right, why not just say they aren't needed anymore and shitcan them that day? I see an issue if they were some kind of protected class, idk what the op is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

qhat posted:

Why would someone be put on a pip if the end outcome is ultimately termination anyway? This is America right, why not just say they aren't needed anymore and shitcan them that day? I see an issue if they were some kind of protected class, idk what the op is though.

documenting evidence that an employee is not meeting some work standard provides a defense against claims that they were terminated for some other (illegal) reason in the event the employee decides to sue.

realistically it's going to take a few months to find a replacement for highly skilled positions anyway so unless the employee is actively sabotaging the company you may as well keep them around and squeeze whatever you can out of them

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I've had other coworkers just "be asked to leave" in a few weeks due to one or other stack ranking exercises despite being a fine employee. I guess it's not a layoff?

Current status:

I was a consultant to a company that did project work for various companies in the area, and they'd had me assigned to a position at Famous Brand Media Co that was renewed quarterly, after twenty months and two rounds of layoffs among the FTEs* they didn't bring me back at the end of December.
So, the consulting firm had me on the bench for a month while they tried to drum up other work - which is nice, fully paid bench is Golden but that's definitely a money burn.
February, I'm funemployed, been in the process since first week of January. It was only in the last three weeks when I really went all out on the process.

* :aaa:

Honestly I've been halfassing the job search while I was employed and only landed a final stage interview every three months, or so, but I'm burning vacation and sick days just to interview in person. The only way to really do this thing right is to make it a 1 - 9 PM job on top of your 9 to 5 job.

Anyway - offer 100% remote contract to hire 6 months, interview process was just talking, no coding tho.
Interview at Famous Brand Media Co was also just full of softball node.js questions. Dunno. Apparently I suck at this type of interview setup.

Tech: B+ ... React GraphQL DotNetCore Kubernetes on AWS. Great for a services group... Kinda wish I was doing product development like Azure or Qumulo, or work on an up-and-coming language like Go, but oh well.
Team/Manager: A- ... manager seems to really want to do things right, Agile/SCRUM, etc.
Business Area: C ... Healthcare Business IT, dunno. If we ever go to socialized medicine I think this whole business would radically change.
Pay: B for the contract portion, senior Microsoft base pay, but no bonus. Remote definitely means an extra two or more hours I'll have into the day.

Seattle is dense enough that I could sell my car and get by with Bus/Uber/Lyft/ZipCar.

And now to tell all the rest of the recruiters and other places I'm in the process with that I'm no longer available.
We'll see how this turns out - maybe I'm "not a good fit" after two months, maybe this position lasts years.

__

I had a boss threaten me with a pip and didn't provide a way of addressing his vague disappointments, so I could get out of it. I gave my two weeks and he got mad and said he would have anything nice to say about me if I tried to reapply for another position. Management via threat? He left the company five months after I left after being transferred to a different team.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

uncurable mlady posted:

... do you work for a sneaker company?

nothing like getting four calls at the time from Indian recruiting firms for contract roles at Nike - hey wanna relocate to Portland for six months?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Funny enough the cold callers haven't even hit me for Nike yet, despite the fact I have firmware on my resume and profiles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

florida lan posted:

documenting evidence that an employee is not meeting some work standard provides a defense against claims that they were terminated for some other (illegal) reason in the event the employee decides to sue.

realistically it's going to take a few months to find a replacement for highly skilled positions anyway so unless the employee is actively sabotaging the company you may as well keep them around and squeeze whatever you can out of them

And the courts tend to side with the employer in these cases.

If there were only some way to stand together against employers pulling out bullshit like "Work weekends and overtime without the extra pay" :thunk:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

iospace posted:

And the courts tend to side with the employer in these cases.

If there were only some way to stand together against employers pulling out bullshit like "Work weekends and overtime without the extra pay" :thunk:

There's gently caress-all the union can do in these cases, anyway.

At best they'll pay for a lawyer for the already-lost case and maybe -maybe- will help prevent a negative reference.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

years ago i worked for an mssp that disputed the unemployment claim of someone who just walked out and never came back. the employer still lost.

it likely depends on locale but new york is super friendly to anyone claiming unemployment benefits for pretty much any circumstance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Private Speech posted:

There's gently caress-all the union can do in these cases, anyway.

At best they'll pay for a lawyer for the already-lost case and maybe -maybe- will help prevent a negative reference.

I'm not talking about the PIP. The unions would likely be cool with them because it's a documented failing and offers chances to improve. Unions require a procedure to fire someone that is more than "you're fired". A PIP that's implemented but failed to "succeed" would almost certainly slot into this. You can argue how much the cards would be stacked in the employer's favor though.

I'm talking about overtime without pay, which is what started this whole tangent of PIP, namely a goon refusing to work more than 40 a week without extra compensation.

e: A union, in this specific case, would work. If said goon was part of a union, refused to work the extra hours without compensation, the PIP in this case would never fly. Now mind you that this is this specific case, and won't apply to all PIP cases.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 20, 2019

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Coffee Jones posted:

Tech: ... DotNetCore... Kinda wish I was doing... work on an up-and-coming language like Go, but oh well.

i have a porterhouse steak, but i hear good things about eating out of the dumpster behind mcdonald's. oh well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

something similar with phd's from deec schools gettin into tech majors doing their phd thing
yeah folks with advanced degrees (even just a masters) from top programs can get some pretty crazy offers

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

iospace posted:

I'm not talking about the PIP. The unions would likely be cool with them because it's a documented failing and offers chances to improve. Unions require a procedure to fire someone that is more than "you're fired". A PIP that's implemented but failed to "succeed" would almost certainly slot into this. You can argue how much the cards would be stacked in the employer's favor though.

I'm talking about overtime without pay, which is what started this whole tangent of PIP, namely a goon refusing to work more than 40 a week without extra compensation.

e: A union, in this specific case, would work. If said goon was part of a union, refused to work the extra hours without compensation, the PIP in this case would never fly. Now mind you that this is this specific case, and won't apply to all PIP cases.

This depends on the specifics of the case, the current relationship between the employer and union, and how aggressive the union is. There's plenty of cases of unions walking out because just one of their members was perceived to be ill treated.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Coffee Jones posted:

stuff about interviewing

Are you actually into golang or are you just excited about it because its cool and (relatively) new? I ask because I had a phone screen yesterday with a self driving car company... I was prepared to hate it and my attitudes toward the viability of the tech are pretty inline with the rest of the pos, but the guy was really nice and the tech stack seems like a good fit, plus I'd be working with statisticians/data scientists people helping them productionize models and stuff, something I've enjoyed doing in the past.

The big downside though is they use a lot of golang. I asked about this in kind of a neutral way, and told him I didn't have much experience. He said neither did they, and it was kind of hurting velocity... He didn't sound too happy about their decision to use the language, and it made me wonder why so many startups choose it, really whats the appeal? Sick nasty run times for your... generic web services that you could just as easily horizontally scale?

To make matters worse, the data scientists, of course, love python (which is my primary language these days). So now they have to kind of marry the golang code written by the devs and the python code written by the data scientists.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sounds like your interviewer just gave away the fact that the senior management do not appropriately weight the opinions of their technical staff.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
bounced by another tech screen, why does this never get easier

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

qhat posted:

Sounds like your interviewer just gave away the fact that the senior management do not appropriately weight the opinions of their technical staff.

hmm, I doubt the decision to use golang was made by management, its probably just a minority of developers that don't like it. I think it either means management probably isn't technical enough to notice that estimates for things that would be relatively simple in other languages are higher because they're using golang (and don't know it very well), or the dev team works insane hours just to make up for the fact that they're making poor architectural decisions

I'll ask about work/life balance and stuff like that if they want to continue. One of my big concerns is as a company they have a pretty insane deadline for this self driving car stuff, so I'll be asking plenty of "what happens when a team misses a deadline" type questions... The office in Seattle they're building is brand new, so I don't want me or anyone there to get chewed out in 6 months for missing an end-of-year deadline that was set way before any of us came on.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

raminasi posted:

bounced by another tech screen, why does this never get easier

What was the question if you don't mind my asking? I'm assuming it was one of those coding challenges on coderpad or something.

What language do you typically do those in? Most of my interview prep is doing easy and medium problems on Hackerrank in python. While its my preferred language for actual work, its especially suited for whiteboard coding or quickly creating solutions to toy problems.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ADINSX posted:

What was the question if you don't mind my asking? I'm assuming it was one of those coding challenges on coderpad or something.

What language do you typically do those in? Most of my interview prep is doing easy and medium problems on Hackerrank in python. While its my preferred language for actual work, its especially suited for whiteboard coding or quickly creating solutions to toy problems.

“write isPrime”

i just get so loving nervous that I lock up and that takes me thirty minutes, leaving me very little time to get to the real question, which was some word counting thing with bizarrely specific output requirements that made me strongly suspect that they built a question around a solution rather than the reverse

but hey, solving toy problems under extreme time pressure with someone watching you is probably a necessary core competency for the work they do, so good thing they screened me out

and I used f#, which was a huge goddamn mistake because my interviewer also knew it and was therefore disappointed when I didn’t give him a six-line sieve

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

raminasi posted:

“write isPrime”

i just get so loving nervous that I lock up and that takes me thirty minutes, leaving me very little time to get to the real question, which was some word counting thing with bizarrely specific output requirements that made me strongly suspect that they built a question around a solution rather than the reverse

but hey, solving toy problems under extreme time pressure with someone watching you is probably a necessary core competency for the work they do, so good thing they screened me out

and I used f#, which was a huge goddamn mistake because my interviewer also knew it and was therefore disappointed when I didn’t give him a six-line sieve

Gotcha.... yeah its insane the mistakes I start making when I'm under the gun like that, stupid off by one errors or forgetting the dictionary syntax and stuff like that. I try to keep it light and joke about it during the interview; the attitude of the interviewer is super important to me. If its a nice person that is at least PRETENDING that this is a "collaborative exercise" then its 1000% easier than someone who sounds bored or frustrated, cause I just start shutting down. The worst was whiteboarding a solution to "merge these two sorted lists without a scratch space" question or something, and he's acting like a dick and I just freeze up... finally he just kinda sighs and asks if i have any questions for him. I thought about just leaving after that but figured the rest of the sessions would be good practice. Naturally the second he left the room I came up with a solution to the problem.

Anyway, if you haven't tried it yet give hackerrank a shot. The easy questions can be knocked out in 10-30 minutes a pop and at the very least its a good confidence builder.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Also just got an email from Blue Origin and they wanna talk, so thats really exciting! Thanks Bloody!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Today, I got an email, unsolicited, for a job down in Atlanta... from a recruiting company soliciting for a consulting company.

Gods I hate this poo poo. I had that happen to me before.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I gave up on job hunting a while ago but today a recruiter contacted me for an opening, interviewed me and generally pestered me all morning (like he REALLY needed a picture of me and couldn't find one) and finally scheduled me for an onsite interview on friday.

he just messaged me now at night to say "sorry you're out" :rolleyes:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Didn't get $DREAM_JOB, they're asking to setup some time to give me feedback so that's cool.

Have more jobs in the pipeline.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 20, 2019

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Salaries: I made 75k as a schlub in the defense industry right out of college. Then startup at 110, another startup at 130 (all remote from here), then down to 115 for an early stage startup I really wanted to work at, now at 170 at techco that thinks it's a startup (it's not)

E/n: I'm kinda happy in my current job. But waiting indefinitely for a role promotion, workload getting worse, major technical issues that the rest of the team doesn't see and couldn't fix in any case cropping up, new bad manager, and all the people I liked in the company left, so....... yikes. Might be time to get back to loving interviewing. At least look at my options

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Salaries: I made 75k as a schlub in the defense industry right out of college. Then startup at 110, another startup at 130 (all remote from here), then down to 115 for an early stage startup I really wanted to work at, now at 170 at techco that thinks it's a startup (it's not)

E/n: I'm kinda happy in my current job. But waiting indefinitely for a role promotion, workload getting worse, major technical issues that the rest of the team doesn't see and couldn't fix in any case cropping up, new bad manager, and all the people I liked in the company left, so....... yikes. Might be time to get back to loving interviewing. At least look at my options

definitely start looking

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

jit bull transpile posted:

what ppl here are posting now is more in line with what I'm making so I guess the Richie riches are more likely to brag about their salary itt lol
Hello, I'm the schmuck who started his first career job out of college at a small company in Seattle at $70,000. Standard health insurance and 401k matching. Two and a half years in and I just got bumped to $84,000 with a 6% bonus.

Not making gently caress you Amazon or Microsoft money but I also work in an interesting field with very little stress.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

This depends on the specifics of the case, the current relationship between the employer and union, and how aggressive the union is. There's plenty of cases of unions walking out because just one of their members was perceived to be ill treated.

no union in the history of man has said "yeah overtime without pay sounds just fine"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Steve Jorbs posted:

Hello, I'm the schmuck who started his first career job out of college at a small company in Seattle at $70,000. Standard health insurance and 401k matching. Two and a half years in and I just got bumped to $84,000 with a 6% bonus.

Not making gently caress you Amazon or Microsoft money but I also work in an interesting field with very little stress.

yeah my last gig was 70k also and I got no bonus or stock of any kind. apple was a real upgrade but seeing the millionaire crew bragging up in here hosed with my head.

perspective successfully reattained.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
salary chat: started my career (not in software) at 36k. moved internally to an engineering position at 65k. promoted a few times but left at 90k for my current company at 132k. changed departments/promoted and now i'm making 160k. they also threw ~100k of rsus at me and i have options from when i were first hired that are probably worth something too

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I make 55k as a network admin in minneapolis. Think I’m the lowest in the thread but I’m not in an expensive city so it’s fine.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Tetramin posted:

I make 55k as a network admin in minneapolis. Think I’m the lowest in the thread but I’m not in an expensive city so it’s fine.

I live in rural montana lmao

go get that bread

col is a bullshit metric thats mostly used to justify paying people less btw

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 21, 2019

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tetramin posted:

you can live comfortably on 55k anywhere in the country

cost of living is significantly overblown. wage variance has other explanations

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Are there any good job markets in more rural/low-key areas that y'all would recommend? A lot of different ppl have gushed over fort Collins to me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Scionix posted:

Are there any good job markets in more rural/low-key areas that y'all would recommend? A lot of different ppl have gushed over fort Collins to me

by definition, no

the lack of thriving job markets is literally what rural means

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can live comfortably on 55k anywhere in the country

not in sf lol

(even at two earners at $55k in a family you’re still “low income”)

the real moral here, though, is “gently caress living in sf or anywhere close to it”

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What's the general strategy with RSUs, liquidate immediately once they vest? I don't really have any intention of holding on to EA stock for any longer than I have to.

qhat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 21, 2019

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

What's the general strategy with RSUs, liquidate immediately once they vest? I don't really have any intention of holding on to EA stock for any longer than I have to.

yeah

idk poo poo about the tax implication, but from the 'do I want to have $$ or EA stock perspective' its pretty clear

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i am selling some options right, and its definitely turning into a loving thing

and the best part is im sure ill completely regret doing it when i have to pay taxes next year

but............ $$

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

yeah

idk poo poo about the tax implication, but from the 'do I want to have $$ or EA stock perspective' its pretty clear

I think RSUs are withheld from me upon vesting to cover income taxes, so I don't think there's a huge tax problem for me unless I sell at a date that is later than "immediately".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm easily the lowest in the thread but I'm also not in the industry at the moment so grain of salt.