Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Vando posted:

Big interview with the guy behind Deadstick up on RPS. The wait is killing me.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/15/the-flare-path-devoted-to-deadstick/

Wow, I didn't know about this game. This looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s not quite what Deadstick promises but woops I spent more money on X-plane payware, and boy. The TBM 900 is far and away the best dollar for dollar payware plane I’ve seen. It has a full maintenance and state saving system and everything is lusciously modeled about it. I think I have found a total of 3 buttons or switches on the whole thing that don’t function, the rest all work and matter. It has a “personality” built into it where poo poo like the engine will apparently sometimes just be harder to start and things will be ornery.

Granted I’m still in the honeymoon phase of playing with it, but if you fly X-Plane and like general aviation it’s a must have despite a hefty price tag. Also works great in VR, though the plane menus (like for the payload and maintenance) need to be operated on the 2d window. It even tracks how many engines you’ve burned through!

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

It's not just you and it won't just be a honeymoon, it's one of the most impressive releases ever. Mostly the work of one mad genius.

He built his own terrain obstruction model for radio navaid reception degradation because it annoyed him that no sim platform models it. It's built into the plane.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Rincey posted:

It's not just you and it won't just be a honeymoon, it's one of the most impressive releases ever. Mostly the work of one mad genius.

He built his own terrain obstruction model for radio navaid reception degradation because it annoyed him that no sim platform models it. It's built into the plane.

God drat that owns.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rincey posted:

:stare:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Interesting side note, the PilotEdge ATC network simulates line-of-sight for comm radio reception. Kinda cool.

simble
May 11, 2004

PilotEdge also does a pretty rad AM simulation too. Sounds great.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

simble posted:

PilotEdge also does a pretty rad AM simulation too. Sounds great.

It's VHF and you know it, MOM :black101:

And how bout that ATIS? Hoo boy, some stable genius wrote that!

(This is a good time to point out that I recently changed my SA name since this is the only thread I really post in, hi hello I used to be aunt jemima but then I decided to run for governor in Virginia)

aunt jenkins fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 20, 2019

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
How tolerant are the PilotEdge guys to fuckery? I might sub in November during my post race season rest period.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

How tolerant are the PilotEdge guys to fuckery? I might sub in November during my post race season rest period.

Stay off the network.

simble
May 11, 2004

Rincey posted:

It's VHF and you know it, MOM :black101:

And how bout that ATIS? Hoo boy, some stable genius wrote that!

(This is a good time to point out that I recently changed my SA name since this is the only thread I really post in, hi hello I used to be aunt jemima but then I decided to run for governor in Virginia)

Both VHF and AM are involved. One is frequency, the other is modulation. I'm assuming the sound quality comes from the modulation and not the frequency, but I can't find a reference. It's probably both, I imagine. I don't know, radios are magic.

simble fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 20, 2019

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

How tolerant are the PilotEdge guys to fuckery?

If you're inexperienced but committed to learning from your mistakes, you'll be fine. If you want to gently caress around with airplanes and do dumb poo poo, you'll get banned quickly without a second thought.

Here's an easy quiz to see if you're ready. If a controller tells you you hosed something basic up and tells you to go complete the self-paced training program, do you say "Sounds good" and go do it? If not, stay out.

The best answer to the quiz is that you never got into the situation in the first place because you self-assessed versus the topics covered and started the CAT- or I-ratings yourself if you weren't 100% familiar with everything covered in them, thus ensuring you'd never be a problem.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The training program is fun even if you know exactly what you're doing

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
By fuckery I mean i do FSE flights so they're weird hops all over the place.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
From what I remember PilotEdge only provided ATC for California, though they may have expanded since I last checked.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SoapyTarantula posted:

From what I remember PilotEdge only provided ATC for California, though they may have expanded since I last checked.

There are 2 levels. One is just California, the other level is pretty big:

Towered Airports:

ABQ, AMA, APA, ASE, BIL, BFI, BOI, COS, CPR, DEN, EGE, ELP, EUG, FAT, FLG, FMN, GEG, GJT, GPI, HLN, JAC, MFR, MSO, MRY, OAK, OLM, OTH, PDX, PHX, PRC, PSC, RDD, RNO, SAC, SEA, SFO, SJC, SMF, SLC, SUN, TUS and YKM

It’s also possible to receive enroute VFR and IFR service to ALL of the airports within the airspace. Airports not listed above are treated as non-towered.

https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/operating-hours-and-service-area

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

By fuckery I mean i do FSE flights so they're weird hops all over the place.

That’s not fuckery that is the intended use.

SoapyTarantula posted:

They have a western US subscription now as well.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sometimes its fuckery because the FSE devs refuse to deviate from the MSFS9 airfield database so sometimes you end up landing at fields that dont exist anymore irl or are in the wrong location.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Yeah, that's fine though, none of those airports probably have instrument approaches anyway so you'd cancel IFR anyhow.

The one exception that comes to mind is KSGU where they really did move the airport and keep the code the same. But still, if you need to go to the old one to make FSE happy you can just either fly VFR with flight following, or plan an IFR flight plan to something else nearby and then cancel in the air.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is the Take Command!: Hot Start TBM 900 still the defacto GA for X-Plane 11? I'm thinking about finally pulling the trigger on it after watching steveo1kinevo on Youtube and his TBM 850.

I'm trying to justify spending the $64 on the TBM vs $74 for 2 Aerobask planes (Epic E1000 G1000 Edition and Eclipse 550 NG).

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

JayKay posted:

Is the Take Command!: Hot Start TBM 900 still the defacto GA for X-Plane 11? I'm thinking about finally pulling the trigger on it after watching steveo1kinevo on Youtube and his TBM 850.

I'm trying to justify spending the $64 on the TBM vs $74 for 2 Aerobask planes (Epic E1000 G1000 Edition and Eclipse 550 NG).

So granted I have not done a lot of digging into the GA scene but it’s heads and tails above any other plane I’ve touched, even the fancy expensive tube liner payware.

It’s been a little crash happy (game crash, not plane crash) in VR but the level of quality and depth and amazing. It’s fun as poo poo to fly, gives you plenty of range and ceiling to get wherever you want to fly, and has enough automation that you can step away from the sim during cruise if you need to, while still being a joy when the sticks in your hands.

The g1000 takes some getting used to to program a flightplan if you don’t already know it (I found the Boeing FMC easier despite the larger depth).

It claims to have “personality” to it and it definitely does - I’m already finding some quirks about it. I once neglected to close a fuel door and watched a stream of fuel fly out of the wing shortly after takeoff, which required a quick turn around landing and top off. I don’t think there’s another plane in X-plane that would even let me open a fuel door and have a cool thing happen like that. The tracked maintenance, state, and position is all wildly cool too.

Again, no experience with those other planes but I can’t recommend it highly enough.

E: and just last night I found that there’s both a button to open a cup holder and have a coffee pop up there and both moveable armrests and a table in the back. GOTY, or uh, plane... OTY.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 6, 2019

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Both those Aerobask planes are pretty great and worth owning at some point but the TBM is on another level.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the advice guys, just purchased TBM.

I'll probably pick up the Aerobask Eclipse 550 NG later.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
End of an era. My Warthog HOTAS and CH pedals and pro throttle is up for sale locally. Same with my G27 wheel. I'm keeping the trackir, for now.

I'm going to try to sell locally first because they fetch a much higher price in Canada but if I don't get a buyer I'll post it here and sa mart.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’d definitely consider the pedals if they don’t sell so keep us posted. Pedals are on my shortlist now that I’ve gotten a hangar of planes.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_FCuMAl8oA

March 13.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Wow, TBM 900 + VR is incredible.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

JayKay posted:

Wow, TBM 900 + VR is incredible.

Welcome, brother.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

drat.

That's an art director who knows exactly where on the Uncanny Valley they want to be.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dead Stick being streamed right now by the dev, hopefully they save the vod for anyone that misses it.

https://www.twitch.tv/irregularcorp

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

This might be a user issue, but I've been back to playing IL-2 BoS/expansions a bunch. Whenever I try to track a target, I notice my elevator/pitch jerks a lot and I can't do a smooth elevator change.

Is this a matter of joystick sensitivity and my lack of control?

Its something like this:

1. Pull up to track target as it climbs
2. Target levels out
3. I try to level out but instead adjust badly and plane wobbles up and down for a moment.
4. Repeat from 1

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What are you using to track your target, and do those controls repeat/indicate they are duplicated elsewhere in the key mapping area?

Otherwise, might be a joystick sensitivity/deadzone issue.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also list your hardware.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Sylink posted:

This might be a user issue, but I've been back to playing IL-2 BoS/expansions a bunch. Whenever I try to track a target, I notice my elevator/pitch jerks a lot and I can't do a smooth elevator change.

Is this a matter of joystick sensitivity and my lack of control?

Its something like this:

1. Pull up to track target as it climbs
2. Target levels out
3. I try to level out but instead adjust badly and plane wobbles up and down for a moment.
4. Repeat from 1

Maybe a trim binding issue?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
no repair deadstick marathons are going to be the best LPs

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

So i hate to post about nothing but the x-plane TBM but dang. They patch it weekly it seems and every weirdness I’ve run into has been hit as a major fix within the past couple patches. Maybe I’m just lucky in that what I noticed that bugged me was easy and apparent, but.

It’s even better in VR than it already was before and it’s getting to a point where despite having other payware this is the only plane I ever want to fly.

On a different note, SmartCopilot for X-plane is amazing, at least for the Zibo 737. It does puke pretty hard for certain planes but the Zibo 737 has it almost totally perfect. For those who don’t know it by name, it’s shared cockpit multiplayer.

I’ve gotten good enough with a friend that, while I’m sure we are breaking tons of procedure by not doing checklists together and that, we can get the plane from cold and dark to runway in like 15 minutes while hand programming even the finicky “optional” bits in the FMC (does plugging in the descent forecast even matter??)

There’s no hands or visual cues of the other player other than buttons switching, which is a small bummer, and it invariably has more downtime because of the split workload, but there’s an extremely chill vibe. If you both have VR you can share the feeling of chilling by orange electroluminescent light to a cloudless sunset on the flight deck. It’s also cool to have an extra set of hands and eyes to work the crucial bits during the high workload bits of take off and landing. It helps so much when flying in CATII ILS conditions to have a buddy say “you’re getting slow” when you get tunnel vision on the flight director.

If any goons want to try it or fly together let me know - there’s a demo license that allows you to ride along, but it’s essentially a spectator mode. I can help you set up the Zibo or the plugins since I’ve already walked a couple buddies through it.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 28, 2019

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I might be interested. I'm pretty terrible with the Zibo 737, though.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

That’s cool! My buddy had very little experience plane touching at all and shared cockpit is a great tool to help, if you want to learn it. I’d be open to try other planes too, but I recommended that one since it works super well and is impressive.

And unless you spring for a license, you’ll be spectating me doing stuff anyway.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I won't be able to play this weekend, but next weekend looks good at the moment. My biggest hurdle with the Zibo is I'm used to the PMDG 737NG userland and things are different enough to cause problems. :v:

Getting a license soon may be possible if spectator mode works well enough, but can't make any promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Oh word! If you’re experienced with the airframe at least then I’ll caution you - I do a lot of shortcuts and ignore whole parts of checklists that are boring (Testing safety features is fun for no one - troubleshooting mid air is fun for the whole family.) I do my best to follow certain procedures, but then others I completely ignore or forget. Sometimes it’s hard to remember to then the packs back on after takeoff until you have a pressurization warning.

I’d recommend you try out the free spectator license just to make sure it works well for you before you spring for the paid one. If you want, we can just run a takeoff and departure to make sure it works technically if you don’t want to sit for a whole flight. And like I mentioned, it does have a certain downside if you’re used to solo flying and like the workload - when I fly with buddies it’s mostly to chill and chat since after you hit the autopilot into your cruise there’s a lot of down time on even short flights. It is all worth it for the boasting when you land in a 15kt steady/21kt gust crosswind with no vis until 200ft above the runway and your friend gets to watch from the right seat.

I’m busy this weekend too but I’ll take the time to get together a quick guide to getting the technical parts of getting it working together. Snort#0607 on discord if you wanna chat and avoid cluttering up the thread.