Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

enojy posted:

That's what I said -- no clue! Maybe recently, to compete with Xbox Game Pass? I was at a friend's place last week who had it (Xbox Game Pass) and it was awesome.

I'd just put money on "so most people can actually use it", to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Youve thought it all through i see.

I think about nothing else

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, my Switch was the only device I have that my old router couldn’t reach. It’s pretty poo poo wifi.

That's a bummer. I bought mine specifically because of its signal strength.
Unfortunately it came out just before MIMO became a thing, but the 5GHz signal is ridiculous and there's basically no overlap/congestion where I live.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The WiFi on the PS4 Pro is worse than the switch. It's nuts.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The WiFi on the PS4 Pro is worse than the switch. It's nuts.

I bet it has an ethernet port, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Elman posted:

I bet it has an ethernet port, though.

Oh yeah I forgot the switch doesn't have one :stare:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I have an ethernet/USB adapter for Switch, and it's even slower than the wifi connection. But it doesn't sporadically cut out every few minutes like the wifi does. So I turn off the wired connection when downloading games, and then turn it on when I want to play an online game. Nintendo is such an amazing game company that they gave us lovely hardware so that we could tweak things to min/max our stats. You all need to step up your meta-game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Both the wired and wireless connections on my Switch work fine and offer 40Mbps down.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Someone asked about Smite earlier.

Didn't play enough to comment on the technical side yet, but the few matches seemed smooth enough. Load times feel tad too long when undocked.

Biggest issue is the control scheme. It's plain terrible. If you played Smite on Ps4 or Xbox, it is the same. Experience from FF14 or Neverwinter on consoles do help, but neither of those are particularly enjoyable control schemes either. FF14 plays around it with design and long GCD. There is no such luxury here.

It's not fun to learn or to play, even if it is possible to get the hang of it. Even then, you just wasted a lot of effort to play Smite.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Chazani posted:

Someone asked about Smite earlier.

Didn't play enough to comment on the technical side yet, but the few matches seemed smooth enough. Load times feel tad too long when undocked.

Biggest issue is the control scheme. It's plain terrible. If you played Smite on Ps4 or Xbox, it is the same. Experience from FF14 or Neverwinter on consoles do help, but neither of those are particularly enjoyable control schemes either. FF14 plays around it with design and long GCD. There is no such luxury here.

It's not fun to learn or to play, even if it is possible to get the hang of it. Even then, you just wasted a lot of effort to play Smite.

If you're willing to put up with it, though, Hi-Rez runs console tournaments for Smite with high prize pools!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mahoning posted:

There are several streaming games on the Switch in Japan. :ssh:

With explosive popularity I’m sure.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

a7m2 posted:

Also all the Animal Crossing themed consoles have looked good in my opinion

I hope so! I've been tasked with buying one for my wife and a friend of ours, and it's gonna be mighty tempting to get another Switch for myself. On top of buying the game for my niece, ugh, take our $1500 Nintendo!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just had the weirdest online experience ever in Smash.

Picked Zero Suit Samus, loaded up a game. When the game loaded my character was Mario and I wasn't able to control him, instead he was moving around the stage and attacking by himself.

Then I got disconnected due to inactivity and got a temporary online ban.

:wtc:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Frankston posted:

Picked Zero Suit Samus, loaded up a game. When the game loaded my character was Mario and I wasn't able to control him, instead he was moving around the stage and attacking by himself.

Then I got disconnected due to inactivity and got a temporary online ban.

The power of NES Online

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Fallom posted:

With explosive popularity I’m sure.

I don't understand what this means, the initial argument is that streaming games wouldn't work because the Switch has terrible wifi. I said that not only is it possible, but there are several streaming-only games in Japan (Resident Evil 7 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, plus more maybe?). Not only does it work, but from the videos I've seen, it works well. If you'd like to move the goalposts to "they're not popular", then whatever, but nobody said anything about popularity.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

Picked Zero Suit Samus

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone play moonlighter? It's on sale and looks like a pretty cool mix of harvest moon and some other game I can't remember (rune factory?).

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone play moonlighter? It's on sale and looks like a pretty cool mix of harvest moon and some other game I can't remember (rune factory?).

It looks like it's got a bit of Recettear and Fantasy Life in it too. It's been on my wish list but I would also like to hear some thread opinions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Last I heard about Moonlighter is that it isn't great, pretty generic roguelike and the shop mechanics aren't well developed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Would you like to play Reccetear but not as good but prettier? Moonlighter is an option!

Basically there is no pressure in Moonlighter whatsoever, not even a rudimentary time system like harvest moon, and there is very little game-play involving the shop so its just sort of a simplistic five dungeon tile-set game where you sell stuff and then you win because its impossible not to be progressing to the win condition without actively trying. The story doesn't show up until you beat the game. If this sounds like what you're looking for its, as noted, easy on the eyes and super chill.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mahoning posted:

I don't understand what this means, the initial argument is that streaming games wouldn't work because the Switch has terrible wifi. I said that not only is it possible, but there are several streaming-only games in Japan (Resident Evil 7 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, plus more maybe?). Not only does it work, but from the videos I've seen, it works well. If you'd like to move the goalposts to "they're not popular", then whatever, but nobody said anything about popularity.

I think he meant that if a video game idea of any kind obviously points to a "worse" future for video game consumers in general (as categorized by a trend toward cheaper, shallower, mobile style games and/or decreased player ownership of them), you can bet it will be a guaranteed hit with Japanese gamers because they can be counted on to love these types of things even though they are clearly against their own interests.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Moonlighter is incredibly relaxing RogueLite game with a small focus on running a shop and improving your town. Story content is sparse, told mostly through notes on each floor of the five dungeons. Enemy variety is decent, with each new dungeon adding one or two new enemy mechanics. While there is a pretty straight forward selection of weapons, there is almost no reason to use anything other than the bow and melee weapon of choice in the normal game. Post game/New Game + adds new equipment slots and more varied weapons attributes and armor that promote changing gameplay style as you go.
If you play casually you can beat the game in about 10 hours, the recently patched New Game + adds at least another 10 hours of item collection and boss challenges. For the sale price it's an excellent game, it's a good game at normal price. Just keep in mind the shop/town mechanics are light, shop requests from NPCs are optional and some times not beneficial and it's a pretty sprite based art game.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I think he meant that if a video game idea of any kind obviously points to a "worse" future for video game consumers in general (as categorized by a trend toward cheaper, shallower, mobile style games and/or decreased player ownership of them), you can bet it will be a guaranteed hit with Japanese gamers because they can be counted on to love these types of things even though they are clearly against their own interests.

I mean, that's a weird point to make, but it still completely moves the goalposts from his initial argument that it isn't possible.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
What’s people’s opinion on tropical freeze as a couch coop game?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Star posted:

It's great fun.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Star posted:

Pretty good! Solid controls, good level design and the music isn't bad.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've never played the game coop, but I've watched other people play it, and it looks like absolute chaos. Just causing each other to die left and right. I don't think I could ever play a sidescrolling platformer with another person

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So wait, I haven't played a donkey kong since the co-op was tag-in-tag-out. How does it work now?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Star posted:

Who ever is the p1 has to be really good and p2 has to be funky, or it's gonna be a bad time. Game can be super difficult.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

So wait, I haven't played a donkey kong since the co-op was tag-in-tag-out. How does it work now?

You're both playing on screen at the same time

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3_yA4HTJfs

Look at this game!!

Ignite Memories posted:

It's like NSMBU where both are on screen.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is the gameplay somehow divorced from the concept of timed-button-press-cannon-barrels enough for this to work? It seems like it very much would not work

I'm so hype for Baba is You

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sold.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Isn't the developer of Baba Is You a goon?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How active is the Dark Souls online community? Been wanting to get it recently but mostly to dick around online with people.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Labo kits are down to $40, idk if this price is new

https://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-LABO,28zu0,136&utm_

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Frankston posted:

How active is the Dark Souls online community? Been wanting to get it recently but mostly to dick around online with people.

Pretty lively still on Switch I hear.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

romanowski posted:

imagine getting so mad at misunderstanding the DLC that you stop playing a christmas gift from your mom entirely to spite a gamestop clerk

look, this person is obviously an idiot teen who registered on the forums when they were three somehow

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1098298463580651520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Frankston posted:

Plenty lively. Go for it.