Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
At least for the USA there are going to be a few hurdles for streaming games becoming king. Overall the internet infrastructure is pretty lovely for how wealthy the country is and many people still have loving dumb data caps. Will folks still have to buy games on top of paying the steaming service? What happens to mods and the mod scene? Ability for high refresh rate and high resolution gaming?

Maybe the vast majority of people don’t give a poo poo and will be fine with 1080p/60 streaming but there are a lot of hurdles to overcome before you can claim PC and console gaming is coming to its end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
PC gaming is not dead, and is in no danger of being replaced by consoles or streaming. For one thing, a good single GPU gaming PC can draw and dissipate 400w or more of power, which is well over double what most consoles can get away with. PCs will always be 2-3x faster than consoles purely because of the higher power envelope they allow. Streaming is always going to have a latency penalty that will limit adoption for several popular game types.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I can deal with 10-15ms of streaming input lag in first/third person games. Higher than that gives me headaches on my laptop. On a big screen it's probably even worse lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
With the much longer upgrade cycles PCs have more or less console-lized themselves for gaming anyway.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tiny screens make it harder for me to notice FPS problems. I had no idea so many NDS games ran so poorly until it was pointed out to me. My 27 inch screen I can see 120 FPS no problem, the 2 inch screen of the NDS makes even 15 FPS look fine.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Input aside, streaming defeats the entire purpose of playing on the PC to begin with, but when you consider that .ini's are usually locked and modding is borderline hacking for everything but publisher-approved SDK's, there's not much interactivity in PC games today beyond injecting your favorite shaders, so while it's not "dead", the core certainly is, and it's only gonna get worse if we're actually nudged towards the nightmare scenario that is streaming

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
apart from the couple online games, where obviously mods can't work because everything would desync otherwise, all the games i play support modding though?? stop buying bad games imo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Lilith.pk3 would never work on a console and is more than enough proof that PCs are worth it.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 20, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
He was talking about in-house streaming, steam link style. I think that will continue to grow a bit. The idea of virtualization in the home seems dead in the water so I think we're going to continue to see lots of independent devices for the forseeable future, just hopefully with more standards for connectivity evolving over time.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

..btt posted:

:lol:

Been a while since I've heard that one.

Things ARE different now, though. I'd rather play an optimized 4K/60FPS game on a next gen console over a PC that can't reach the same performance. I'm not saying PC gaming will die, but the value proposition will get even worse.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's no reason to make this argument now that didn't exist that the last five generations of consoles didn't provide.

I guess I'm saying, you're wrong, shut up?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Gay Retard posted:

Things ARE different now, though. I'd rather play an optimized 4K/60FPS game on a next gen console over a PC that can't reach the same performance. I'm not saying PC gaming will die, but the value proposition will get even worse.

Thing is, on the next gen console said game will be 4k/30 fps cap, and a same generation PC of the time will be doing the same game with higher resolution textures, details, and AA also at 4k and holding somewhere around 90-110 fps. We could get to the point where PCs and consoles have the same basic architecture/OS/etc, just the PC will have 3x more of every resource clocked significantly higher and with a dramatically higher power limit.

Consoles will take over from PCs when they start shipping with 850 watt power supplies and the cooling capacity to dissipate that much heat.

Oh yeah, one more reason PCs are going to stick around: Older games, your new Nth generation console that can do 4k/60 unfortunately can't run any of the hundreds of older games you would also like to run at 4k/60. But your new PC can, or even better it can run them at 4k/144+. I can still play DOS/3.5" floppy era games on my modern desktop PC, and almost any game with directx support can be hacked or patched up to 4k/high Hz. Older games look better and run better on newer PCs than they ever did on the consoles of their day. The old question of "But can it run Crysis?" remains relevant even today, and the answer on a gaming PC is more often than not "Yes." these days.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We are entering, like, the 20th year of PC Gaming dying.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gay Retard posted:

Uh... where are we getting that next gen consoles will be able to do 4K/60 FPS when current top-of-the line PCs with a 1200$, 280W GPU (and far higher total price and power consumption) still barely has the horsepower to do it in current games?

I'm guessing specs for the next gen consoles are already locked in so there is no way that they'll be able to match today's PCs in terms of raw power. Maaaaybe next-next gen consoles will be able to, but by then there's no telling where PC hardware will be so it's pretty moot...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Uh... where are we getting that next gen consoles will be able to do 4K/60 FPS when current top-of-the line PCs with a 1200$, 280W GPU (and far higher total price and power consumption) still barely has the horsepower to do it in current games?

I'm guessing specs for the next gen consoles are already locked in so there is no way that they'll be able to match today's PCs in terms of raw power. Maaaaybe next-next gen consoles will be able to, but by then there's no telling where PC hardware will be so it's pretty moot...

This is why we are doomed to an eternity of Skyrim rereleases.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Gay Retard posted:

Been hearing versions of this since the early 90s. Still awaiting the death of PC gaming, which from where I sit is currently stronger than it's ever been!

e: like there are still entire genres that don't exist in any real way on consoles, and others which are (imo) trash with a controller. I can understand someone who mostly games on a console thinking that way, but come on, this is the GPU thread.

..btt fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 20, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

TorakFade posted:

Well, there's certainly some merit to the fact that you can get a better experience with 4K gaming on an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro at a much cheaper cost currently due to optimizations and fine-tuning of games. Hell, maybe one day we'll see Sony or Microsoft release a console with a swappable GPU.

I understand PC gaming is already niche compared to console gaming, but I just think the technological advancements of cloud gaming/computing, along with the advantages of console optimiziations, will further push more gamers toward grabbing consoles.

99% of games are going to be released on PC for the foreseeable future. That definitely isn't changing.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 20, 2019

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

We are entering, like, the 20th year of PC Gaming dying.

Praise Be.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
PC ps4 and switch are what you need. MS hosed themselves by having zero exclusives.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
PC gaming is alive again because Chris Roberts saved it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

"A Brief History of the Death of PC Gaming". It's only 2001-2015, but it at least collects the articles and arguments that have been made (over and over and over and over) since the PS2/XBox.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 20, 2019

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
Love to talk about my dying gaming platform on my dying internet forum.

I need these 1660 cards to come out so I can figure out what to do with this lovely 970 kicking around in my computer.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
"pc gaming is dead"

lol give me a loving break

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Does one need a 2080 card to be able to redeem Battlefield V and Anthem codes (and play the games) that have been received after buying a 2080 card which will not be used for gaming at all? I have a 970GTX at home.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 20, 2019

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
The amount of hours I spent with my PS4 Pro on my (extra for RDR2 bought) 65” OLED 4K HDR since I got my 2080Ti and 9900K Duo Framefernale in November=

Whenever I buy/bought new PCs, my consoles will collect dust for at least 6+ months.
This happens since my AT 386 and 486 MS DOS PCs.
Only the 3DO with the first Need for Speed (yes, it was a 3DO exclusive launch) in 1994 was safe for my playtime.

AFAIK the next Xbox and PS5 won’t get Raytracing tech so the PC graphics will add superior visual immersion for years.

Play BFV on console and on an High End PC with Gsync back to back and tell me the console version does NOT feel crappy compared to smooth 100-200 fps on Ultra settings.

Consoles are great for lazy couch gaming but for the best visual, smooth and gfx feature immersion PCs will be unmatched.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mr.PayDay posted:

The amount of hours I spent with my PS4 Pro on my (extra for RDR2 bought) 65” OLED 4K HDR since I got my 2080Ti and 9900K Duo Framefernale in November=

Whenever I buy/bought new PCs, my consoles will collect dust for at least 6+ months.
This happens since my AT 386 and 486 MS DOS PCs.
Only the 3DO with the first Need for Speed (yes, it was a 3DO exclusive launch) in 1994 was safe for my playtime.

AFAIK the next Xbox and PS5 won’t get Raytracing tech so the PC graphics will add superior visual immersion for years.

Play BFV on console and on an High End PC with Gsync back to back and tell me the console version does NOT feel crappy compared to smooth 100-200 fps on Ultra settings.

Consoles are great for lazy couch gaming but for the best visual, smooth and gfx feature immersion PCs will be unmatched.

Well yeah, I'd expect a brand new $1500+ CPU/GPU to outperform a 2 year-old $350 console. Good luck with that raytracing stuff, though.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I get consoles for exclusives, but to not pay attention to settings and know performance won't be an issue I always go to PCs. Also all of the controller options are much easier on PCs which has merit too. Fix those 2 things and I'll switch to your console as my primary gaming device.

There was a period ~2007 when even a SLI of the highest end cards wasn't as easy as the console version. I remember Bioshock specifically not running great with even dual 8800s because it was really poorly ported.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 20, 2019

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Gay Retard posted:

Well yeah, I'd expect a brand new $1500+ CPU/GPU to outperform a 2 year-old $350 console. Good luck with that raytracing stuff, though.

The 2070 and a Ryzen 2700x will work as well, tho.
RTX in BFV and Metro are differently implemented (Reflections vs Global Illumination + Ambient Occlusion) and beautiful each. More and more games will use this in the future so it has nothing to do with “luck“ lol

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mr.PayDay posted:

The 2070 and a Ryzen 2700x will work as well, tho.
RTX in BFV and Metro are differently implemented (Reflections vs Global Illumination + Ambient Occlusion) and beautiful each. More and more games will use this in the future so it has nothing to do with “luck“ lol

Yeah, it's basically a demo for a bunch of boring AAA FPS titles. It just seems like a silly value proposition, especially since we're talking about first generation tech that will likely need to be replaced more quickly. We're looking at a couple years before raytracing becomes widespread, and by then, we'll be looking at huge leaps in GPU raytracing performance.

I know you're trying to justify your costly GPU, but right now seems like the worst time to chase 4K/60FPS performance when we're right around the corner with new consoles setting the standard for gaming development.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Gay Retard posted:

I know you're trying to justify your costly GPU,

Thank you for this valuable insight in the gpu thread, gay retard

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

Yeah, apparently this guy missed all those pages of goons talking about how RTX/Raytracing/DLSS is a waste of money.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 20, 2019

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Gay Retard posted:

Yeah, apparently this guy missed all those pages of goons talking about how RTX/Raytracing is a waste of money.

Thanks for your opinion that ray tracing in real time rendering is a waste of money. Your personal financial situation is very relevant and extremely fascinating to everyone that isn't you.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

RTX is a waste of money unless youre a person with plenty of spare cash that also wants to get into raytracing immediately. This isn't a controversial opinion and I don't remember anyone outright saying raytracing is worthless, just that the tech needs time to be developed and more easily accessible.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's also only a "waste of money" at price points where competing options exist. Which isn't great for consumers, but better for adoption, I guess.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I just want the fastest mini card for sff, and it's a 2070 mini without getting super spendy.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Used Zotac 1080 Ti Minis are regularly $550-600. It's just too bad that Zotac has no transferable warranty. I guess you don't have to deal with their poo poo customer service, at least :v:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 20, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I just want the fastest mini card for sff, and it's a 2070 mini without getting super spendy.

Does Gigabyte ever release the mini GPUs they throw in their eGPU gaming boxes? They just released their 2070 version for $650. You could just sell the eGPU enclosure for $150-$200 on eBay.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2070IXEB-8GC#kf

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That one's actually available separately, too!

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DDWfrH/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-8-gb-mini-itx-video-card-gv-n2070ix-8gc

E: It's also reference chip, though - if you want a sff card with a better-binned chip, you have to go up to the Zotac Mini OC. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available anywhere?

E2: I guess it's not exactly the same. That fan :eyepop:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 20, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The gigabyte card from the gaming box with the 130mm fan is interesting. Wonder how well that cools.

^^ ikr??

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Statutory Ape posted:

Taking full advantage of the only time you can say that without getting a prob