Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

started swann’s way, and loving it thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ulvir posted:

started swann’s way, and loving it thus far.

its good

Im about 1/3 through House of Mirth and its devastating already

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Swann's way owns and makes me sad I forced myself through proust aged 17 like a pretentious idiot without understanding it

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The secret to Proust is that in audiobook form he becomes the easiest thing in the world.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 14, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My Greatest Literature Failure is that while I love Swann's Way I've never managed to finish it because the writing is so beautiful I go to sleep. Like, every time. Twenty pages and I'm out. Works better than benadryl.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

It's the ultimate coffee shop book, load up on the espresso and ride the buzz into Proust's dreamy mind

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mrenda posted:

My wondering is if using the forms of modernism as a function to tackle not just the change in the person, but directly the inability to comprehend a society (from the perspective of the society being broken/scattered/disjointed) is enough to bring us into postmodernism.

(a lot of the different kinds of) modernism(s) were very deeply concerned with the depiction of consciousness in the modern world. so you have bits of virginia woolf's orlando that depicts driving down the road like this:

quote:

The Old Kent Road was very crowded on Thursday, the eleventh of October 1928. People spilt off the pavement. There were women with shopping bags. Children ran out. There were sales at drapers’ shops. Streets widened and narrowed. Long vistas steadily shrunk together. Here was a market. Here a funeral. Here a procession with banners upon which was written ‘Ra — Un’, but what else? Meat was very red. Butchers stood at the door. Women almost had their heels sliced off. Amor Vin — that was over a porch. A woman looked out of a bedroom window, profoundly contemplative, and very still. Applejohn and Applebed, Undert —. Nothing could be seen whole or read from start to finish. What was seen begun — like two friends starting to meet each other across the street — was never seen ended. After twenty minutes the body and mind were like scraps of torn paper tumbling from a sack and, indeed, the process of motoring fast out of London so much resembles the chopping up small of identity which precedes unconsciousness and perhaps death itself that it is an open question in what sense Orlando can be said to have existed at the present moment. Indeed we should have given her over for a person entirely disassembled were it not that here, at last, one green screen was held out on the right, against which the little bits of paper fell more slowly; and then another was held out on the left so that one could see the separate scraps now turning over by themselves in the air; and then green screens were held continuously on either side, so that her mind regained the illusion of holding things within itself and she saw a cottage, a farmyard and four cows, all precisely life-size.

When this happened, Orlando heaved a sigh of relief, lit a cigarette, and puffed for a minute or two in silence. Then she called hesitatingly, as if the person she wanted might not be there, ‘Orlando? For if there are (at a venture) seventy-six different times all ticking in the mind at once, how many different people are there not — Heaven help us — all having lodgment at one time or another in the human spirit? Some say two thousand and fifty-two. So that it is the most usual thing in the world for a person to call, directly they are alone, Orlando? (if that is one’s name) meaning by that, Come, come! I’m sick to death of this particular self. I want another.

post-modernism, to me, (in part) signalled the overriding failure of (some) modernism(s) to depict consciousness in the modern world without breaking the internal cohesion of a work of fiction (there's a word for it but it's not coming to me right now). ulysses spent a thousand words describing a single day, radically advancing the expressive and formal powers of literature in english, but still comes nowhere close to actually representing 'real life'. in fact joyce tried so hard to do it that the book is unreadable to most casual readers.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

(a lot of the different kinds of) modernism(s) were very deeply concerned with the depiction of consciousness in the modern world. so you have bits of virginia woolf's orlando that depicts driving down the road like this:

post-modernism, to me, (in part) signalled the overriding failure of (some) modernism(s) to depict consciousness in the modern world without breaking the internal cohesion of a work of fiction (there's a word for it but it's not coming to me right now). ulysses spent a thousand words describing a single day, radically advancing the expressive and formal powers of literature in english, but still comes nowhere close to actually representing 'real life'. in fact joyce tried so hard to do it that the book is unreadable to most casual readers.

Would you say that it is impossible to represent real life at all — or at least in its totality?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boatswain posted:

Would you say that it is impossible to represent real life at all — or at least in its totality?

Is this thread for "real life"? Or is it just fantasy?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is this thread for "real life"? Or is it just fantasy?

I'd say there's no escaping it

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I was genuinely not trying to be antagonistic :saddowns:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boatswain posted:

I was genuinely not trying to be antagonistic :saddowns:

Open your eyes, look up to the skies, and see

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Easy come, easy go. Late to the party at this point. :sigh:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Spadassinicide

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

I don't think it's even vaguely possible to represent reality in writing and I think a lot of the modernists were probably at least vaguely aware of that.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I think you mean pages rather than words, Fowl, unless you're in possession of the world's most condensed version of Ulysses :haw:

also, representing anything in its totality is impossible, let alone "real life"

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Foul Fowl posted:

Ulysses didn't "radically advance" anything. Art doesn't advance !

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
what edition of Swann's Way should I get? i downloaded a 99 cent copy on kindle and its a weird translation and doesnt really flow well.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Almost everything I've read favors the Lydia Davis translation.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

what edition of Swann's Way should I get? i downloaded a 99 cent copy on kindle and its a weird translation and doesnt really flow well.

Lydia Davis. Be warned that the other parts in the Penguin releases are translated by different people

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

A human heart posted:

I don't think it's even vaguely possible to represent reality in writing and I think a lot of the modernists were probably at least vaguely aware of that.

i think so too, but that didn't seem to stop them from trying (and reading some of their journals, feeling like poo poo for failing). it's a bit of a nebulous point but i think a lot of modernism is very sincerely diagetic and very sincerely trying to depict the real movements of consciousness in response to the real world. but it's not really possible with the tools that were (and are) available to writers, regardless of how many new ones that modernism created.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bandiet posted:

i don't think that's true at all. i also don't think it necessarily makes literature better to be more complex (or whichever term you prefer) but modernism was a very inventive time for english literature, and lots of new ways to write (and read) were discovered and developed. compare, idk, contemporary queer fiction to e.m. forster's maurice. he spends so much of that novel guiding the reader into a new mode of reading. there were no pre-established semiotics recognizable to his reading public that he could use, discard, invert, be sincere or insincere with, etc. etc.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm reading Cioran but in Herzog's voice. It is good.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Heath posted:

Lydia Davis. Be warned that the other parts in the Penguin releases are translated by different people

This is my main issue with the series, I blasted through Swann's Way cause of Davis's translation and then couldn't get back into the groove with the next one

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think that's true at all. i also don't think it necessarily makes literature better to be more complex (or whichever term you prefer) but modernism was a very inventive time for english literature, and lots of new ways to write (and read) were discovered and developed. compare, idk, contemporary queer fiction to e.m. forster's maurice. he spends so much of that novel guiding the reader into a new mode of reading. there were no pre-established semiotics recognizable to his reading public that he could use, discard, invert, be sincere or insincere with, etc. etc.

I think advancement pretty clearly implies "better." Change isn't progress. Readers in the last century may find stream of consciousness or whatever more expressive because it's different from what they're used to, but not any more than literally any other turning point in style, from the Dolce Stil Novo to the Hellenistic bucolics.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bandiet posted:

I think advancement pretty clearly implies "better." Change isn't progress. Readers in the last century may find stream of consciousness or whatever more expressive because it's different from what they're used to, but not any more than literally any other turning point in style, from the Dolce Stil Novo to the Hellenistic bucolics.

i'm not gonna try to convince you if you've made your mind up already. which it sounds like you have since you didn't really respond to my post.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Foul Fowl posted:

i'm not gonna try to convince you if you've made your mind up already. which it sounds like you have since you didn't really respond to my post.
The point was only that "advance" is an unwarrantedly normative word for "innovate".

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
*In an extremely Herzog voice*

Extraordinary and null — these two adjectives apply to the sexual act, and, consequently, to everything resulting from it, to life first of all.

No difference between being and non-being, if we apprehend them with the same intensity.

suspendedreason
Dec 5, 2018

A human heart posted:

Yeah qfe.

Borges posted:

. . . In that Empire, the Art of Cartography attained such Perfection that the map of a single Province occupied the entirety of a City, and the map of the Empire, the entirety of a Province. In time, those Unconscionable Maps no longer satisfied, and the Cartographers Guilds struck a Map of the Empire whose size was that of the Empire, and which coincided point for point with it. The following Generations, who were not so fond of the Study of Cartography as their Forebears had been, saw that that vast map was Useless, and not without some Pitilessness was it, that they delivered it up to the Inclemencies of Sun and Winters. In the Deserts of the West, still today, there are Tattered Ruins of that Map, inhabited by Animals and Beggars; in all the Land there is no other Relic of the Disciplines of Geography.

bandiet posted:

Joke: Ulysses and modernism advanced art.
Bespoke: Television advanced art and Law & Order is its purest proof of work.

suspendedreason fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 16, 2019

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Reading Elfriede Jelinek’s Lust, makes me want to become an asexual Marxist vegan and live as a hermit, but in a good way

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Just finished The Ambassadors, any Henry James fans in the thread?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I have a lovely old illustrated copy of The Ambassadors that I have not yet read. :sigh:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's the one that had long scholarly arguments about if a chapter was in the wrong order or not. I prefer the shorter James stories, like the Aspern Papers and The Spoils of Poynton. I also liked this one cartoon of James staring at two pairs of shoes in a hotel corridor

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Just finished The Ambassadors, any Henry James fans in the thread?

I’m reading The Aspern Papers right now, but I’m having a bit of a hard time getting into it. The book I have also has Turn of the Screw in it, though, which I’m looking forward to. One of my good friends recommended it to me and she and I have nearly identical taste in literature.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Doctor Faustine posted:

I’m reading The Aspern Papers right now, but I’m having a bit of a hard time getting into it. The book I have also has Turn of the Screw in it, though, which I’m looking forward to. One of my good friends recommended it to me and she and I have nearly identical taste in literature.

I think I had the same edition, but I enjoyed reading the Aspern Papers more, tbh, even if the Turn of the Screw left a bigger impression afterwards

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Got real busy for a few weeks so just now got around to finishing Passion of G.H and holy poo poo. The final 15% or so my face got sore from being in the :stonk: position for too long. The book as a whole reminded me of a few very intense panic attacks I've had, that I called 'horror attacks' (though terror is probably a more accurate word) that really changed the way I thought about life each time they happened. What a weird experience that book was. I think I'll have to read it again at some point, I feel I probably missed a lot in there.

I love how you get sucked into the bizarre mind-state of GH, but when you pull yourself back and think of the objective reality of what actually happened in the book, its kind of loving hilarious.

Now I'm reading zeno's conscious, and it's really funny just in the first pages, think I could love it.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

derp posted:

Now I'm reading zeno's conscious, and it's really funny just in the first pages, think I could love it.

It gets considerably less funny, i thought, but it's still a very good book

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just finished 1984 and I'm starting Catch 22. Pretty goddamn funny so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Follow it up with Darkness at Noon if you're still feeling upbeat after that combo.