Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the brain is really good at blocking out trauma, and then suddenly remembering trauma at the worst possible time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am experiencing existential dread because I have a decent dental plan that I probably won't have in a few months and I have been procrastinating dealing with my wisdom teeth for nearly two years
Go to a dentist. Make an appointment today and schedule it around noon, then take a half-day at work and spend the afternoon playing games. Probably going to need two appointments - one for a cleaning and analysis and a second for the wisdom teeth removal. Stop hesitating and spend 15 minutes looking into who accepts your insurance and then call them.

Cowcaster posted:

farted real bad but still have chest pain, now i'm getting worried
Call your doctor's office, and if you don't have one, go to the website on the back of your insurance card and find a general practitioner who's close to you. First time appointments take a little longer to be scheduled but once you're in the books you can get appointments later the same week (in my experience, anyway). If it's really worrying go to an urgent care clinic near you; again, the insurance card likely has a price for urgent care visits; mine is a decent government insurance and a visit there costs $25. It was a life saver when I developed shingles and was able to get antibiotics prescribed before my scheduled doctor's appointment. I know it's kind of weird to go from not having insurance to having the abilities to actually get yourself checked out by a professional without worrying about breaking the bank, and it's a goddamned tragedy that that's the situation the USA has placed itself in, but you have tools now. Use them.

Having insurance but still worrying about going to the doctor or dentist because of time lost at work/bothering the professionals/maybe it's nothing is the real life equivalent of letting your RPG party get creamed in a fight but not using your elixirs because you might need them later. Only in real life your conditions can worsen and your whole life gets hosed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

When I was like 6 I had crippling stomach pain to the point I was basically crying and screaming doubled over in the fetal position. Got rushed by my parents to hospital. Crying and weeping in the emergency room, brought upstairs sitting in an examination room as the nurses figured appendix or something, I proceeded to let rip the loudest longest fart I to this day can remember doing. Dead silent and then turned to my mum and said "I feel all better now".

Thankfully Australian so whatever I guess.

See, in the United States your parents would have seriously had to debate whether or not to take you to the E.R., that visit could have bankrupt them financially over here. A lot of Americans can't risk an E.R. visit unless someone can take them or call 911 once they pass out.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

The pacing of DQ Builders is so weird, the start of a chapter is you running around scrounging stuff to make a single piece of equipment and two healing potion to hopefully survive the next mandatory fight up until you gain access to some metal at which point combat is utterly perfunctory until the boss.

Yea it's minecraft

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cowcaster posted:

i got my wisdom teeth out probably 15 years ago, i don't remember much about the experience

I got mine out when I was a teenager. I remember the procedure itself was nothing, except I did wake up near the end of it when they weren't quite done, but I still couldn't feel anything so I just experienced the guy basically struggling to get the tooth out, and I could hear the cracking sounds as it was happening. I don't remember anything else about that, but what I remember clearly was the full week afterwards where I was basically in the worst pain in my life and couldn't do anything.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

See, in the United States your parents would have seriously had to debate whether or not to take you to the E.R., that visit could have bankrupt them financially over here. A lot of Americans can't risk an E.R. visit unless someone can take them or call 911 once they pass out.

I am reminded of the epileptics I know whose first reaction after having a seizure was worrying if someone called an ambulance for them

Macaluso posted:

I got mine out when I was a teenager. I remember the procedure itself was nothing, except I did wake up near the end of it when they weren't quite done, but I still couldn't feel anything so I just experienced the guy basically struggling to get the tooth out, and I could hear the cracking sounds as it was happening. I don't remember anything else about that, but what I remember clearly was the full week afterwards where I was basically in the worst pain in my life and couldn't do anything.

:gonk:

I know in Europe they advise against proactive wisdom teeth removal, maybe I should follow their lead

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The best part about leaving the US.

That and I can tap into anime at the source.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

LawfulWaffle posted:

Go to a dentist. Make an appointment today and schedule it around noon, then take a half-day at work and spend the afternoon playing games. Probably going to need two appointments - one for a cleaning and analysis and a second for the wisdom teeth removal. Stop hesitating and spend 15 minutes looking into who accepts your insurance and then call them.

Call your doctor's office, and if you don't have one, go to the website on the back of your insurance card and find a general practitioner who's close to you. First time appointments take a little longer to be scheduled but once you're in the books you can get appointments later the same week (in my experience, anyway). If it's really worrying go to an urgent care clinic near you; again, the insurance card likely has a price for urgent care visits; mine is a decent government insurance and a visit there costs $25. It was a life saver when I developed shingles and was able to get antibiotics prescribed before my scheduled doctor's appointment. I know it's kind of weird to go from not having insurance to having the abilities to actually get yourself checked out by a professional without worrying about breaking the bank, and it's a goddamned tragedy that that's the situation the USA has placed itself in, but you have tools now. Use them.

Having insurance but still worrying about going to the doctor or dentist because of time lost at work/bothering the professionals/maybe it's nothing is the real life equivalent of letting your RPG party get creamed in a fight but not using your elixirs because you might need them later. Only in real life your conditions can worsen and your whole life gets hosed.

yeah once i got the new insurance i set up a visit just to get my name in the books and stuff and get a physical exam since i hadn't had one in over 10 years. their office is only a couple of blocks away from where i work too and i wouldn't be shocked if i could set up an appointment with a day's notice. it just seems pretty likely at this current stage that i'll end up over there, they'll say "well that's weird, can't tell what it is though, swing by again if it gets worse" and just wind up being a waste of time and money regardless of how good my health insurance is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dentistry isn't that hard you can do it yourself. just need a mirror and some pliers

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

that sounds harder than the looney tunes method of tying a string to your tooth and a door and just slamming it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

"You've got insurance so just use it" is pretty lol, like I have insurance and still recently racked up a sweet $3000 bill over a minor af kidney infection

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

come to think of it i know my deductible is pretty low but i assume it's still a non-zero number

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cost me a little over $400 for the immediate care visit when I sliced the top of my thumb and had to get the flap sutured back on. I am more careful in the kitchen now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I used to work for a Canadian company and cashed that poo poo in for a necessary surgery and then quit like 2 months after I was fully recovered. Thank you Canada.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

yeah once i got the new insurance i set up a visit just to get my name in the books and stuff and get a physical exam since i hadn't had one in over 10 years. their office is only a couple of blocks away from where i work too and i wouldn't be shocked if i could set up an appointment with a day's notice. it just seems pretty likely at this current stage that i'll end up over there, they'll say "well that's weird, can't tell what it is though, swing by again if it gets worse" and just wind up being a waste of time and money regardless of how good my health insurance is.

loving go to the loving doctor if you have chest pain that won't go away jesus christ people literally die from 100% treatable conditions because of talk like this and it drives me loving crazy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sorry, life-threatening pet peeve of mine. Use your insurance and go get checked. Urgent care is fine. "Urgent care" is a needlessly scary term that just means "last minute doctor".

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's probably fine

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
even if you're in the US you should go to the doctor for mysterious chest pains that don't go away

it's blowing inordinate amounts of money at the doc or dying- both suck but one is obviously worse

gently caress our stupid, stupid medical care system

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Man gently caress Fary Cry 5 and all that spawned from it.

Remember when everyone thought the militant, alt-right cult was going to be the bad guys? Ha.

I enjoyed the gameplay of Far Cry 5 but I quit and sold my copy about 7 hours in because the characters and those god damned story cutscenes sucked all the fun out of it. That poo poo was anti-fun and there was no point for it existing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ugh, why even loving have insurance then? Like, why pay for it? It's stupid on multiple levels.

Chest pain is literally one of those things that should be checked by a doctor, and you are paying into the system that makes it possible to be seen by a doctor, but you're right, best to NOT take advantage of that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It has always been a truth that fear of looking foolish is more powerful than fear of death.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

mutata posted:

Ugh, why even loving have insurance then? Like, why pay for it?

Those insurance company execs appreciate it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PantsBandit posted:

I don't really follow Pokemon, but Jan Ochoa over at GiantBomb does these Monday Night Combat streams of Let's Go Pikachu multiplayer battles, so I've been tuning in here and there.

It led me to realize that if you mega-evolve Kangaskhan, it's baby jumps out of the pouch and gets to fight too! It's so great, I love it.

when you mega evolve slowbro the shellder on its tail gets huge and almost covers it whole

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mutata posted:

Ugh, why even loving have insurance then? Like, why pay for it? It's stupid on multiple levels.

I get tax fines that exceed the cost medical care if I don't have insurance, even if the insurance is functionally useless

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok, cool, but not really applicable to the person I was addressing who stated "I actually have good insurance" or whatever. I was more speaking to his situation directly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

I get tax fines that exceed the cost medical care if I don't have insurance, even if the insurance is functionally useless

i nearly got hit with these the year after obamacare became a thing because the paperwork i submitted to reup my marketplace insurance for the year after never got processed so i was both without medical insurance for a year and almost paying fines for the privilege it was pretty great

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm playing sly 1 again and it's still fun but also it feels like this entire game was submerged in vaseline for hours before release

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Barudak posted:

I quit playing Super Hot out of boredom, not difficulty.

A puzzle game, and definitely not one with a story I needed to skip.

Super hot is like less than two hours long, just go finish it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thank you PC gamers who paid to play Anthem early and bug test it for everyone else. A patch dropped that fixed the endgame followed by Microsoft's corporate VP calling out all reviewers as weak.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

If you bought anthem early, gently caress yourself. You're part of the reason games will continue to release in increasingly unfinished states. You deserve every loading screen the game throws at you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sure yeah, but also I'm gonna buy the early access for dreams when it comes out

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

preorders are 100% a scam

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

homeless snail posted:

sure yeah, but also I'm gonna buy the early access for dreams when it comes out

Yuuuuup

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

But what if I have expert taste in video games and also want to play the game the day it comes out

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Cowcaster posted:

also collector's editions

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

I had Resident Evil 2, Smash Ultimate, Soul Calibur 6 and DMCV preordered since August but that was mainly because they were safe bets + I wanted to get the Amazon discount registered before it ended. Was the only time I've bothered to preorder poo poo way in advance and luckily I'm probably gonna be 4 for 4 with it

Preordering stuff from companies like Ubisoft, Bethesda, or EA is obviously more of a risk than preordering a Mario game these days

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

corn on the cop posted:

also collector's editions

120%

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Help Im Alive posted:

But what if I have expert taste in video games and also want to play the game the day it comes out

Your taste is trash, no game is worth day one money.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Your taste is trash, no game is worth day one money.

I paid like $400 (or whatever a PS4 cost at the time) for Bloodborne and I have no regrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What if it's a Nintendo game that's never going to go on sale

then every day is day one