Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Speaking of which, is there a surefire way to prevent a Crusade playing as the Byzantines?

Does having good relations with the Pope matter?
Does having NAP or alliances with Catholic powers prevent them from joining Crusades?
Does taking specific territory cause a Crusade to happen?

In my previous Alexiad campaign, there was an early Crusade for Thrace which was held by Rum. The Catholics won and carved out a small kingdom of three provinces. Over a century later, I conquered the last province they had and took the kingdom title. Within a year, they declared another Crusade for Thrace targeting me.

In my current campaign, the same thing happened. They now have one little province in Thrace, although this time I created the Kingdom of Thrace title before they launched their Crusade. I'm afraid of taking that lone province though in case they decide to Crusade me.

Also, I am capable of taking Jerusalem from the Seljuks, but once again I'm afraid of the Catholics deciding to attack me for the crime of liberating the Holy Land from infidels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I thought crusades were only supposed to fire against non-Christians? Like I know as a Catholic you can't holy war the Orthodox because they're still Christian. Same as how sunnis and shia can't jihad each other.

E: like I know you can divert a crusade to Constantinople but I thought that was an exception because history.

Iunno.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 19, 2019

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Torrannor posted:

I think it's impossible to become pregnant past 45 years of age, and very unlikely past 40 years of age. And once a woman is older than 45, it's near impossible to get marriages to anybody of value. The game logic is basically "men can become fathers even if they're 70, why would they marry an infertile wife?".

binge crotching posted:

That's correct. 45 is a hard cutoff for women:

code:
	MAX_CHILD_BIRTH_AGE = 45,						-- Female menopause age.
	FEMALE_ATTRACTION_CUTOFF = 45,					-- After this age, the sex appeal of traits no longer have any effect
At 45 women are both unable to have children, and also lose any sort of positive opinion modifiers from traits like Attractive.

Ah ok, good to know. So there's no point trying to marry her again and she exists just to continue trying to consolidate power.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Disillusionist posted:

Speaking of which, is there a surefire way to prevent a Crusade playing as the Byzantines?

Does having good relations with the Pope matter?
Does having NAP or alliances with Catholic powers prevent them from joining Crusades?
Does taking specific territory cause a Crusade to happen?

In my previous Alexiad campaign, there was an early Crusade for Thrace which was held by Rum. The Catholics won and carved out a small kingdom of three provinces. Over a century later, I conquered the last province they had and took the kingdom title. Within a year, they declared another Crusade for Thrace targeting me.

In my current campaign, the same thing happened. They now have one little province in Thrace, although this time I created the Kingdom of Thrace title before they launched their Crusade. I'm afraid of taking that lone province though in case they decide to Crusade me.

Also, I am capable of taking Jerusalem from the Seljuks, but once again I'm afraid of the Catholics deciding to attack me for the crime of liberating the Holy Land from infidels.

You can turn off the Fourth Crusade events in the game rules when you start a game.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Oh okay that is an event thing then? That's kind of what I thought since you can even holy war the Orthodox as a Catholic.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Honky Dong Country posted:

Oh okay that is an event thing then? That's kind of what I thought since you can even holy war the Orthodox as a Catholic.

Jup, it's event based. As you noted (or wanted to, I think?), you can't holy war Orthodox realms as a Catholic, since they're fellow Christians. Likewise, Orthodox realms are usually not valid targets for Crusades, except when the Fourth Crusade event fires.

Disillusionist posted:

One thing I forgot, there is an in-game way to prevent a crusade from targeting the Byzantines. If you mend the Great Schism, crusades get disabled. You will only have to contend with jihads and great holy wars.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Honky Dong Country posted:

Seems to be a new Holy fury thing, I had never seem it before either

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seems to be a new Holy fury thing, I had never seem it before either

It is. The Shepherd's Crusade, Children's Crusade and Fourth Crusade come from Holy Fury. Here's the dev diary about them if you're curious:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-93-venetian-guile.1112235/

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Educating children seems pretty different since the last time I played this. Is it important to give kids a guardian, or does the childhood focus stuff mostly replace that?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bold Robot posted:

Educating children seems pretty different since the last time I played this. Is it important to give kids a guardian, or does the childhood focus stuff mostly replace that?

It mostly replaces that. Certain childhood traits have a better chance to turn into good traits as adults if the educator has specific combinations of traits and stats, but it's pretty complicated. To powergame here is more hassle than it's worth it.

Culture and religion change is done through using the faith or heritage focus, as long as the educator if of your religion/culture, or the religion/culture you want the child to convert to, you're good to go.

If you really want to cheese the education system, you can dive in here: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Education_(Conclave)

But basically, the aim of the education changes was to make it harder to breed and educate superhumans to be your heirs, so I would just roll with it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Torrannor posted:

It mostly replaces that. Certain childhood traits have a better chance to turn into good traits as adults if the educator has specific combinations of traits and stats, but it's pretty complicated. To powergame here is more hassle than it's worth it.

Culture and religion change is done through using the faith or heritage focus, as long as the educator if of your religion/culture, or the religion/culture you want the child to convert to, you're good to go.

If you really want to cheese the education system, you can dive in here: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Education_(Conclave)

But basically, the aim of the education changes was to make it harder to breed and educate superhumans to be your heirs, so I would just roll with it.

Thanks. I have an heir I need to change the culture of actually. So the way to do that would be give them a guardian of the culture I want them to become, and then give the child faith or heritage focus?

I like the new system so far, part of the reason I stopped playing CK2 a few years back was it became too easy to make superhuman heirs and I couldn’t stop myself from doing it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks. I have an heir I need to change the culture of actually. So the way to do that would be give them a guardian of the culture I want them to become, and then give the child faith or heritage focus?

I like the new system so far, part of the reason I stopped playing CK2 a few years back was it became too easy to make superhuman heirs and I couldn’t stop myself from doing it.

Faith focus only changes religion, heritage changes religion and culture. So go with the heritage focus. Just make sure the educator has the right religion as well as the right culture.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I often like to use that on captive children that nobody will pay a ransom for.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I've conquered enough land that I can now create the Kingdom of Ireland as soon as my gold funds come back in. :woop:

almost had the country fracture apart when the previous queen died so I had to frantically rush to pass Primogeniture to prevent it. also, my current dude joined the Satanists so I hope that goes well

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skypie posted:

I've conquered enough land that I can now create the Kingdom of Ireland as soon as my gold funds come back in. :woop:

almost had the country fracture apart when the previous queen died so I had to frantically rush to pass Primogeniture to prevent it. also, my current dude joined the Satanists so I hope that goes well

One of my dudes died, and his heir was 17, and she was already rank 2 in the Satanists. :randstare:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Randaconda posted:

One of my dudes died, and his heir was 17, and she was already rank 2 in the Satanists. :randstare:

He died of camp fever before he ever really got a chance to do anything. His stupid craven son inherited and spent like 5 years dealing with two rebellions, a minor English incursion, and some random-rear end Yazidis declaring war I now have no piety and all my gold is gone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's 900AD and my Duke of Toulouse run just acquired the HRE. Any fun things to do from here?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
ah poo poo, my dude hosed up a chess game and got assassinated, along with one of his daughters. Now I'm stuck with his 3 year old son. :rip: (also I hosed up and someone's vassal inherited a county I usurped but they're a vassal of the Scottish queen so getting it back will be a headache)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's fine. as long as you got the king title the hard part is over. you can then use de jure CBs against everyone who's supposed to be in your borders. they will hate you, so while you're doing this you will want to take the intrigue focus and spy on each of your new vassals as you subjugate them. keep loving with them until they revolt, then you can crush them, revoke their lands, ideally banish them to get all of their money, and install someone else (i refer to this entire process as 'laundering' the title).

ideally what you want to do is install a distant cousin who shares your dynasty but does not have claims on your highest title. this will get them a minor relationship bonus with you and also make it that much harder for your dynasty to be uprooted completely. do NOT install a relative who has claims on your highest title, because they will have -20 'title claimant' relationship that will make them insufferable.

if you don't have a kinsman that you can install, get some rando nobleman and noblewoman with no claims on any titles - generate them by decision if you have to. then marry them matrilineally and award the man the title. this is specifically to screw up his own dynasty and encourage the man to have affairs, which will split his house against him and make it more difficult for the newly created union to be consequential in 2-4 generations. it will still happen, of course, it'll just be less likely. that means your realm will tend to be cleaner than it would be otherwise - one-county counts are more likely to stay one-county counts and your vassals will have more stupid feuds among each other than against you.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Stop going to war, you mother fucker. Yes, you have 11000 troops. AFTER levies. 8000 of them are mine that i have to pay for you poo poo. Mother gently caress Am I going ot have to take the empire title so you fucks stop doing dumb poo poo?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jedit posted:

It's 900AD and my Duke of Toulouse run just acquired the HRE. Any fun things to do from here?

Wondering the same thing. Was gonna do a chill run to get myself back into the game but my Duke of Austria unexpectedly got elected HRE a little after 1100. I don’t really want to keep the title long term and after having been away from the game for so long it’s a little overwhelming - is there anything in particular I should make sure to do?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Appoint an antipope, trash Catholic MA, convert to fraticelli

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

winterwerefox posted:

Stop going to war, you mother fucker. Yes, you have 11000 troops. AFTER levies. 8000 of them are mine that i have to pay for you poo poo. Mother gently caress Am I going ot have to take the empire title so you fucks stop doing dumb poo poo?

The only righteous hand to rule is your own.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

TaurusTorus posted:

The only righteous hand to rule is your own.

Get centralized laws going, maximum crown authority, hold your capital plus the entire duchy around it and every province in that duchy, then build castles in everyone of them and hold them yourselves, while delegating the cities and temples away, then upgrade all castles as fast as possible as much as possible and then enjoy having ten times the people out of your own domain than all of your vassals in the entire kingdom have combined. Then you can treat those annoying vassals like you want! :agesilaus:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Goons Are Great posted:

Get centralized laws going, maximum crown authority, hold your capital plus the entire duchy around it and every province in that duchy, then build castles in everyone of them and hold them yourselves, while delegating the cities and temples away, then upgrade all castles as fast as possible as much as possible and then enjoy having ten times the people out of your own domain than all of your vassals in the entire kingdom have combined. Then you can treat those annoying vassals like you want! :agesilaus:

Don’t forget to never land your relatives, and pick your religion solely by mechanical power.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if you don't land your relatives just because you like drama

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

If you gently caress enough, the whole world is your family.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Randaconda posted:

lol if you don't land your relatives just because you like drama

Hell yeah. Keep it in the family.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Vengarr posted:

Hell yeah. Keep it in the family.

My family is trying to keep it in me, and by "it" I mean a dozen assassination attempts and rebellions since there's a regency going on at the moment

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skypie posted:

My family is trying to keep it in me, and by "it" I mean a dozen assassination attempts and rebellions since there's a regency going on at the moment

If they kill you,. they're obviously fitter to rule. :colbert:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I love landing family members, I like having the most prestigious family in the world, with numerous high level titles and all. I love to get a random distant cousin who is heir to nothing and make him a king, just because I can

Is trouble too, but I just like to see my dynasty grow in number and power

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 20, 2019

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

I love landing family members, I like having the most prestigious family in the world, with numerous high level titles and all. I love to get a random distant cousin who is heir to nothing and make him a king, just because I can

Is trouble too, but I just like to see my dynasty grow in number and power

Agree, I'm not a blobber so I always land my family. As many titles as possible for the dynasty IMO.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Actually after I get an empire, usually the game becomes about making fun and cool vassals, with our without my family

Like, in my current game I made Jerusalem a merchant kingdom and packed it with all the jews I could find. Also, after I conquered the sunni world, I got an Abbasid to convert to zoroastrian and then made him King of Syria, cause I also like having famous families as vassals. Currently Syria is run by an Abbasid queen married to her brother

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Randaconda posted:

If they kill you,. they're obviously fitter to rule. :colbert:

My previous ruler was a babyfaced coward that everyone hated but solidified his rule by quashing two conchar rebellions and two independence rebellions with multiple counties. One of those rebellions sent me into bankruptcy and the mercenaries I hired turned on me before I could disband them when I realized what was about to happen.

That was...a stressful few years. Then he got murdered after loving up a chess game and well here we are with his 3 year old son the heir and desperately hoping to survive the impending rebellions. I suppose I could just grant someone independence to stave it off then come back later with a de jure claim since I already created the title for King of Ireland

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's also fun when your main lie dies out and you become the count of some random county you granted to your brother four generations before.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Randaconda posted:

It's also fun when your main lie dies out and you become the count of some random county you granted to your brother four generations before.

How exactly does this happen if your heir isn't of your dynasty though? Like in my Duchess Ingeltrude situation with the 7th kid not being matrilineal and me being in ultimogeniture, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten a game over and not jumped to, say, the Habsburg count living in Sardinia if I hadn't had more matrilineal kids after him.

e; I think you're speaking to a situation where the heir apparent is already of the dynasty, just really far removed because you don't have any kids, in which case my example isn't comparable.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 20, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always want to spread my dynasty so that we form a big blob on the dynasty mapview, but there's a critical mass that I get wary at where all of a sudden there's nobody to marry but cousins.

Maybe when I play a Zoroastrian game.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

How exactly does this happen if your heir isn't of your dynasty though? Like in my Duchess Ingeltrude situation with the 7th kid not being matrilineal and me being in ultimogeniture, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten a game over and not jumped to, say, the Habsburg count living in Sardinia if I hadn't had more matrilineal kids after him.

e; I think you're speaking to a situation where the heir apparent is already of the dynasty, just really far removed because you don't have any kids, in which case my example isn't comparable.

Yeah, that's what I mean, sorry.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Also my strategy to exploit elective worked out wonderfully: I was king of Transaxonia when I created a custom empire and set it to elective. Because of that, the only electors are the transaxionian dukes. So all I had to do was to get all the duchys but one for myself and I then can choose whoever I want as heir anytime

The empire got huge (I have 17 vassal kingdoms, a realm size of around 1200), hundreds years have passed but still only the dukes of Transaxionia counts as electors, so it still works. And nobody minds (only with the vassals in Transaxionia I get a -30 "too many elector titles" malus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I always want to spread my dynasty so that we form a big blob on the dynasty mapview, but there's a critical mass that I get wary at where all of a sudden there's nobody to marry but cousins.

Maybe when I play a Zoroastrian game.

Genetic diversity is a menace to be slain one nut at a time.