Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

HopperUK posted:

gently caress's sake it's funny either way

Except one way is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Edit: Never mind, it’s just not loving worth it

Depressio111117 has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Feb 8, 2019

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

phasmid posted:

The girl however, is not a witch. They even admit they dressed her up so they could burn her. The reason, presumably, is that being a peasant is boring and a witch burning is their equivalent for football.

Yes, she is. She even confesses when the test shows she is a witch.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Aleph Null posted:

When Tim the Enchanter says his name, he says it with a questioning tone because he's not really sure what his name is.

It's actually because the actor, John Cleese, had a vision at that exact moment that decades later people would miss the very straightforward joke that a mundane name like 'Tim' doesn't suit a powerful wizard and instead would make up a story that he forgot the name of his own character, and it confused him enough that he nearly flubbed the line.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Subtle Movie Moments: The Parrot Is Actually Alive.

e. vv You're wrong (unless you're loving with me in which case, you got me) but it looks like this issue is insoluble so w/e.

phasmid has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Feb 8, 2019

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Jesus, try to catch up with a thread this fast.

She's a witch. That's the joke. The stupid test actually works.

Also, credited in the film as , "The witch."

For those saying otherwise, explain how she fails the test? Clearly a witch.

torgeaux has a new favorite as of 03:35 on Feb 8, 2019

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

phasmid posted:

Subtle Movie Moments: The Parrot Is Actually Alive.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
In the movie Se7en, Brad Pitt is asking what's in the box because he can't read the information that's on the box, detailing what the box contains.

In wwz, Brad Pitts character Picks up the various diseases at random because the character is a nod at his character inSe7en.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Greggster posted:

In the movie Se7en, Brad Pitt is asking what's in the box because he can't read the information that's on the box, detailing what the box contains.

In wwz, Brad Pitts character Picks up the various diseases at random because the character is a nod at his character inSe7en.

I've read this post about 7 times now and still don't get it.

Unless it's purposely bullshit, in which case, carry on.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ok, here's a subtle moment in a book, but it's about movies, so:

In What the Hell Did I Just Read?, the third in the John dies at the End series, there's a brief aside early on about the character's favourite guilty pleasure movies. John's is Dude, Where's my Car?, Dave's is Weird Science, and Amy's is Twilight. Now, Amy's choice could probably get it's own huge effort post but I'm going to focus on the guys'.

Later on the book, the guys take the Soy Sauce- a kind of otherworldly drug that actually for realsies gives them special cosmic insights and powers. Most people die horrifically after using it. The guys black out for several days, to find a series of cryptic clues left for themselves by themselves, and that a strange woman who is made of friendly versions the this book's monster bugs has moved into John's house and is saying she's John's girlfriend. Everyone assumes that John somehow made this happen while on the Sauce, and that's how they think of it until the end of the book.

But...

John's movie was D, WMC?. He got his wish, the scavenger hunt of clues after a blackout. The strange woman was Dave's Weird Science wish- except that it a wish for someone to take care of John (Dave is dating Amy). The woman- her name's Joy actually- Joy does things that Dave had wished he could do for John but was afraid to, namely flushing all John's drugs. Dave had commented on said drug use, and feared of one day finding John had overdosed. I guess this also ties back into the larger theme shown in Dave and Amy's relationship, the difference between actually being someone's friend and being an enabler, with Amy enabling Dave's depression

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've read this post about 7 times now and still don't get it.

Unless it's purposely bullshit, in which case, carry on.

It's bullshit, the meme that "brad pitt's character is illiterate" in...some movie?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Queen Combat posted:

It's bullshit, the meme that "brad pitt's character is illiterate" in...some movie?

I spotted this book in the wild today and started laughing:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't Luke specifically communicate with R2D2 through text in the X-Wing's cockpit in ESB?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Queen Combat posted:

It’s subtle, isn’t it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Lego Movie 2 they actually give away a plot point earlier in the movie when the boy talks about how he's in the middle of a time travel story when his sister takes his figures.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And now for something completely different ...

https://twitter.com/FilmEasterEggs/status/1094023121181405184

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I heard from a grip it was because he refused to remove his hulk smash glove and they had to paint it his skin color

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I watched Holy Grail last night since it came up in this thread. I probably watched it dozens of times between ages 11 and 17 but not since then. All the lines are etched into my memory but one new gag I never really paid attention to is the random activities of the various peasants—beating water with a log, slamming cats against a wall, making mud piles, etc.

Also Dennis the anarcho-syndicalist is much funnier now than he was when I was an adolescent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Not exactly a subtle movie moment, because it isn't from a movie and it wasn't visible on original airing, but it's funny. In the HD remaster of the Buffy episode "Fear Itself" the ritual to summon the demon Gachnar is a cut and paste from an Irish government leaflet about the opening of a bus lane in Dublin.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Not exactly a subtle movie moment, because it isn't from a movie and it wasn't visible on original airing, but it's funny. In the HD remaster of the Buffy episode "Fear Itself" the ritual to summon the demon Gachnar is a cut and paste from an Irish government leaflet about the opening of a bus lane in Dublin.

Some of the most powerful evil spells are cast by urban planners.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

syscall girl posted:

Some of the most powerful evil spells are cast by urban planners.

Yeah I've read Good Omens.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I've read Good Omens.

Same

Also flown in to Washington DC

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Henchman of Santa posted:

I watched Holy Grail last night since it came up in this thread. I probably watched it dozens of times between ages 11 and 17 but not since then. All the lines are etched into my memory but one new gag I never really paid attention to is the random activities of the various peasants—beating water with a log, slamming cats against a wall, making mud piles, etc.

Also Dennis the anarcho-syndicalist is much funnier now than he was when I was an adolescent.

holy poo poo, i had literally the same experience for the same reason about a week ago. i was shocked at how much of that movie i never really understood and Dennis is probably my favorite part now. so i guess i still think it's a great movie, but not at all for the reasons i thought it was when i was 16.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Aliens!

The scene where they're moving into the colony complex, when they find the facehuggers in the tanks. Hicks calls for the lieutenant, he doesn't respond. He says "Gorman!" and the guy turns around.

He clearly hasn't been an LT for a long time.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Jedit posted:

I found one of these re-watching Gundam Wing. During medical scans of one of the main characters, various texts scrolled across the screen, including instructions for installing image capture via TWAIN in Adobe Photoshop in 1995.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmtJSFgVAAAJgR8.jpg

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I know that "TWAIN" was named after the word meaning "never to meet," ie: "split in twain," but because it was capitalized people thought it was an acronym and made, "Technology Without An Interesting Name," and I like the acronym better.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

I know that "TWAIN" was named after the word meaning "never to meet," ie: "split in twain," but because it was capitalized people thought it was an acronym and made, "Technology Without An Interesting Name," and I like the acronym better.
"Twain" just means "two," not "never to meet," though the Rudyard Kipling poem did a lot to give it that nuance.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, thanks. I always thought of it as "split in twain" and applied the wrong meaning to it. I mean, it still worked in interpretation, but was wrong.

Wait this isn't the "things you just figured out" thread

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The origin of the word comes from Samuel Clemens and Mark Twain being identical conjoined twins that were successfully separated at birth.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

When Samuel was removed it left a Mark.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

SiKboy posted:

When Samuel was removed it left a Mark.

The funny thing is that, if you pay attention closely, Mark Twain was actually illiterate the whole time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Xenoletum posted:

I found one of these re-watching Gundam Wing. During medical scans of one of the main characters, various texts scrolled across the screen, including instructions for installing image capture via TWAIN in Adobe Photoshop in 1995.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmtJSFgVAAAJgR8.jpg

Fullmetal Alchemist used D&D

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/6twy9r/the_book_titled_alchemy_in_episode_3_of_the/?utm_source=reddit-android

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Queen Combat posted:

The funny thing is that, if you pay attention closely, Mark Twain was actually illiterate the whole time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_uIxSwvmWVM

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Memento posted:

Aliens!

The scene where they're moving into the colony complex, when they find the facehuggers in the tanks. Hicks calls for the lieutenant, he doesn't respond. He says "Gorman!" and the guy turns around.

You mean as in, he's a newly commissioned lieutenant?
at first I thought you meant he stopped being a lieutenant long ago (I.e. got promoted) and I was confused

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Slippery posted:

at first I thought you meant he stopped being a lieutenant long ago (I.e. got promoted) and I was confused

They ask Gorman how many drops he's been on and he says like "27 simulated"

Then Vasquez asks him how many combat drops and he's like "2... including this one"

He's fresh out of officer school.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slippery posted:

Yeah you're right, I didn't word it well. Should have been "he hasn't been an LT for long".

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

syscall girl posted:

They ask Gorman how many drops he's been on and he says like "27 simulated"

Then Vasquez asks him how many combat drops and he's like "2... including this one"

He's fresh out of officer school.

copy yeah, I remember that now, especially the '...simulated' part, lol

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Whoever came up with those "Hey Vasquez, you ever been mistaken for a man? No, have you?" lines deserved a medal.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gromit posted:

Whoever came up with those "Hey Vasquez, you ever been mistaken for a man? No, have you?" lines deserved a medal.

That accolade belongs to James Cameron. Say what you will about him, the man writes a mean screenplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Memento posted:

Aliens!

That whole sequence from "I'm coming in" to "love at first sight" is gold. Burke just wants to get out of the rain. Weaver is playing Ripley as PTSD as gently caress. As they're moving through Medical, Burke is following behind Gorman and his whole body language is "go that way fuckhead". Cameron wrote a whole bunch of real people into cinematic existence with very few lines and some great directing.