Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I tried out the log press recently but didn't want to drop it/slam it down so I like... tried to set it down and the metal cutout on the grip kept smacking me in the wrist and now I have lil painful spots but no bruise so it's not even like I can be like "dang look at these cool bruises from this cool lift I did" but it still hurts

edit - what up snipe! I've been enjoying the videos of Thor & Larry Wheels & Jujimufu lately. Here's some arm wrestling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh8-cIlx3VM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dolphin posted:

it doesn't matter how crowded it is you're still not supposed to exercise in the women's locker room

:smithfrog:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/mgg2oMX.mp4

Well he certainly learned from the best!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m kinda fond of the polo and hiking boots workout gear.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Did marathon, legs still poo poo two days later. I can walk with some soreness but heavy leg days aren't on the menu right now, and the event itself was one of the most physically strenuous and uncomfortable things I've ever done.

10/10 i'll probably do it again next year

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
massively long knee destroying cardio is dumb and bad

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
In truth, I'm a little bummed at being out of the gym even for this long because I traded running for weights a couple years ago so I'm just poo poo talking, but I do like the occasional half marathon at most (like 1-2/year)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm either the strongest of the weak people or the weakest of the strong people among the regulars at my gym.

But gently caress them, I've got the best metabolic conditioning.

I hit a PR on my 500M row yesterday at 1:36.

ever want to feel inadequate check out the world records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_indoor_rowing#Heavyweight_men

Sam Briggs has pulled a 1:33 :stare:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Started using chalk during the winter because my fingers sweaty when I keep them in my pocket to warm them up, now I'm completely dependant for deadlifts. Weaning off is gonna suck.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

VorpalFish posted:

Started using chalk during the winter because my fingers sweaty when I keep them in my pocket to warm them up, now I'm completely dependant for deadlifts. Weaning off is gonna suck.

You're not supposed to eat it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe I’m missing something but what’s wrong with using it?

Admittedly I only use it for my heavy farmers carries but I don’t see the issue?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Just rub it all over your body.

That reminds me I need to put a new block in my bag.

I use it for DL/variants and BB shrugs.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VorpalFish posted:

Just keep using it like a normal person unless your gym bans it for whatever reason. Hook grip for me is basically impossible without chalk the entire length of the thumb.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

FizFashizzle posted:

ever want to feel inadequate check out the world records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_indoor_rowing#Heavyweight_men

Sam Briggs has pulled a 1:33 :stare:

This doesn't make me feel inadequate at all! This makes me feel loving awesome! I pulled a time 3 seconds off Sam Briggs, holy poo poo!

Olympic level rowers are some absolute loving freaks, and I know I'll never get there, but now I'm feeling a little bit more awesome today.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

LordArgh posted:

a lot of people would pay good money to get beaten up by a strong woman
*raises paw*

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I’m missing something but what’s wrong with using it?

Admittedly I only use it for my heavy farmers carries but I don’t see the issue?

It's kinda messy and feels like cheating I guess. I like to keep equipment and accessories to a minimum.

sassassin posted:

You're not supposed to eat it.

I do lines. Really puts you in the right mindset for a heavy lift.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VorpalFish posted:

It's kinda messy and feels like cheating I guess. I like to keep equipment and accessories to a minimum.

I do lines. Really puts you in the right mindset for a heavy lift.

Messy ok sure. Cheating?? No way.

Not all bars are the same and some have poo poo for knurling especially if they have been around for a while.

The poo poo doesn’t make you magically stronger lol.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This doesn't make me feel inadequate at all! This makes me feel loving awesome! I pulled a time 3 seconds off Sam Briggs, holy poo poo!

Olympic level rowers are some absolute loving freaks, and I know I'll never get there, but now I'm feeling a little bit more awesome today.

you probably did something wrong.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VorpalFish posted:

It's a deadlift or whatever. It's to see how strong you are not how well your sweaty rear end hands can grip. It can even trend towards dangerous if the bars particularly rough and cheese gratery.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I would 100% snort chalk if it made me stronger.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I walked into the gym tonight to two shirtless dudes in short shorts doing that squat with a medicine ball and throw it at the other person, squat, repeat thing. Forgot for a second who the main clientele of my gym are, then also realized I came to the gym listening to the 10th Anniversary London cast recording of Les Miz so I shouldn't be throwing Atlas stones :v:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chalk is good.

The only reason I don't do other lifting equipment is that I don't want to condition myself into thinking I can lift more and then hurt myself when I don't have all of the joint bracing equipment available. If your grip fails because your hands are sweaty, it probably isn't going to leave you crippled.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
For people who hate waiting on benches but want a full range of motion, I have come up with the following

Is this really not a "thing" yet? If not I want to call it the Will press after a guy at 24h fitness who suggested using that platform thingy.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Space Whale posted:

For people who hate waiting on benches but want a full range of motion, I have come up with the following

Is this really not a "thing" yet? If not I want to call it the Will press after a guy at 24h fitness who suggested using that platform thingy.

So do you post by leaning your torso towards the keys you want to hit? What other ways have you found to get by in life with such amazingly short forearms?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Put some chairs on both ends to raise it up and now youre cookin

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Dum Cumpster posted:

So do you post by leaning your torso towards the keys you want to hit? What other ways have you found to get by in life with such amazingly short forearms?

Fallows posted:

Put some chairs on both ends to raise it up and now youre cookin
It's so I can lower the bar to my chest without my elbows hitting the ground first.
:confused:

Edit: It's not that I couldn't just change where the pins are.

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 21, 2019

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i use chalk for deadlifts but what is it with the people that think they're olympic gymnasts with it? the handprints on the weights look like someone just dusted for a murder scene

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Omnikin posted:

I tried out the log press recently but didn't want to drop it/slam it down so I like... tried to set it down and the metal cutout on the grip kept smacking me in the wrist and now I have lil painful spots but no bruise so it's not even like I can be like "dang look at these cool bruises from this cool lift I did" but it still hurts

edit - what up snipe! I've been enjoying the videos of Thor & Larry Wheels & Jujimufu lately. Here's some arm wrestling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh8-cIlx3VM

Was honestly impressed by how easily Juji shouldered the 137kg stone. Took Larry 3 tries to do the same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inept posted:

i use chalk for deadlifts but what is it with the people that think they're olympic gymnasts with it? the handprints on the weights look like someone just dusted for a murder scene

It can be used for awesome things too.

Liquid chalk works great too if your gym doesn’t allow the white stuff.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Space Whale posted:

It's so I can lower the bar to my chest without my elbows hitting the ground first.
:confused:

Edit: It's not that I couldn't just change where the pins are.

My elbows travel way further than a couple inches past the bottom of my torso during a bench. Great excuse for why my bench is garbage.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Dum Cumpster posted:

My elbows travel way further than a couple inches past the bottom of my torso during a bench. Great excuse for why my bench is garbage.

I have longer lower arms than upper arms, but my arms are long; my reach is 74". That platform is 4" or so (about the length of my index finger).

Basically, that little thing people use for deficit deadlifts or step ups or whatever on the ground lets the bar just touch my chest as my elbows just touch the floor. So, I get the ROM of a bench without the wait. :woop:

Not... sure why people thought I couldn't just move the pins. Also, the decline/incline fixed benches hardly ever get used. Why have 2 flat/incline/decline instead of 6 adjustable?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Looks like it's only one or two inches off the ground from the angle.

The Will Press is just a feet up bench closer to the floor. Which is fine aside from no leg drive to keep you tight so it'll have less weight on it.

Adjustable benches are expensive and people are destructive assholes that abuse anything they don't own.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Liquid chalk works great too if your gym doesn’t allow the white stuff.

liquid chalk is completely worthless.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I pulled a time 3 seconds off Sam Briggs, holy poo poo!

Sam Briggs is a 5'2 female.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, rowing is incredibly humbling. I pulled a sub 1:30 once, and I've pulled a sub 7 2k once, and I will never do either again.

My best is a good old fashioned 1k, which I can very comfortably bang out in about 3:15. I've never sprinted one though.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 21, 2019

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

The one I use has worked fine for me (Beal Pure Grip).

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

Liquid chalk ain't :gizz: for once. No wonder it didn't work for you.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Space Whale posted:

I have longer lower arms than upper arms, but my arms are long; my reach is 74". That platform is 4" or so (about the length of my index finger).

Basically, that little thing people use for deficit deadlifts or step ups or whatever on the ground lets the bar just touch my chest as my elbows just touch the floor. So, I get the ROM of a bench without the wait. :woop:

Not... sure why people thought I couldn't just move the pins. Also, the decline/incline fixed benches hardly ever get used. Why have 2 flat/incline/decline instead of 6 adjustable?

I checked and I need at least 8" of travel past the floor so keep your ideas for t rexes to yourself :mad:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Metanaut posted:

The one I use has worked fine for me (Beal Pure Grip).

i sweat when i look at a barbell and it just looks like im dripping cum all over the platform

then once you've started sweating that stuff won't work

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Anyone else get really bad chafing, scarring, and bruising across the shoulders from squatting?

It's starting to suck a lot...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

VorpalFish posted:

Anyone else get really bad chafing, scarring, and bruising across the shoulders from squatting?

really pull your shoulders up and back. create a bigger shelf of muscle. don't just let it sit on the thin skin areas.

i always tell people to try to pull their elbows up and back. just squat like liu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

The only time it was bad for me was the one time I got my back and shoulders waxed for a Halloween costume (never again). I couldn't squat for like two weeks after because I would just outright bleed everywhere my skin was so raw.