Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Enel isn't made of lightning, he's made of electricity. Which in fiction is essentially the same speed as light as long as there conducting material around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Admirals all have insanely broken Devil Fruits in their own way. Aokiji's ice powers basically cancel out his weakness to water, and his ability to freely travel over it and freeze huge stretches of sea at a time means he can deal with entire fleets by himself. Kizaru is meanwhile capable of travelling between islands near-instantly (not surprising that he's the first Admiral to show up when someone decks a Celestial Dragon, he's probably their go-to rapid response guy) and recovering from being exploded into pieces, I imagine if he has any weaknesses it's that the human mind isn't really capable of keeping up with all the potential uses of his power. (One of the video games at least suggests he's possibly on par with Enel, possibly more because Enel has more perspective on fighting someone with those kinds of powers than anyone else) And Akainu's magma explicitly overpowers Ace's fire, and is probably the most powerful Devil Fruit in terms of sheer destructive force. (melting half of Whitebeard's head and all) It isn't certain whether having a really good Devil Fruit power is guaranteed promotion or the WG gives the most powerful Fruits to freshly promoted Admirals. (given CP9 had unidentified Devil Fruits offered to them partway through Water 7, I get the impression it's the latter, the World Government keeps a stockpile of Devil Fruits and issues them to sufficiently powerful and loyal officers)

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
My head canon is that Kizaru talks and acts the way he does, because he has to manually slow himself down in order not to speak and act and think at the speed of light.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Would actually be interesting to have someone who has strange side-effects from their Devil Fruit power, Magellan does to an extent. (spending most of his working day on the dunny because he has to eat poison to fuel his powers apparently)

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Gyges posted:

Enel isn't made of lightning, he's made of electricity. Which in fiction is essentially the same speed as light as long as there conducting material around.

Ok, so being made of electricity is better than being made of light because fiction changes how electricity works. Which is why the fiction changed how lasers works to catch up?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Would actually be interesting to have someone who has strange side-effects from their Devil Fruit power, Magellan does to an extent. (spending most of his working day on the dunny because he has to eat poison to fuel his powers apparently)

IIRC he ate poison because he likes it, not because he has to.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Enel is just a dude that coasted on his fruit and haki. All the logia pre new world are like this. But as soon as you cross into it and you get poo poo like the Amazons with haki arrows and all the weird strangeness that arises from having to survive in the new world the playing field suddenly shoots up and people who coasted on certain abilities get fuckin bodied.
Much like Croc, Moria, etc. Etc.

However this is assuming that OP doesnt pull a cool rear end sick move like DBS and show that these dudes havent stopped training as well. Which would work since most OP villains thus far are people whove grown fat (figuratively) and careless sitting on their rear end, terrorizing the weak.

Its me
The dude who cant wait for Cody to pull a ToP 17

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i believe in enel

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Enel is just a dude that coasted on his fruit and haki. All the logia pre new world are like this. But as soon as you cross into it and you get poo poo like the Amazons with haki arrows and all the weird strangeness that arises from having to survive in the new world the playing field suddenly shoots up and people who coasted on certain abilities get fuckin bodied.
Much like Croc, Moria, etc. Etc.

Yeah, this. Zoro’s just A Guy and hasn’t even been really hurt yet after training for the new world, the idea that Enel can hack it is pretty silly considering.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Thought that Shanks was the only Yonko who can stand toe to toe with Admirals, if that's the case Enel doesn't stand a chance against any of them.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I bet any Yonko could beat any admiral in a straight up fight

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

whitebeard on his deathbed was still clearly more than a match for any of the admirals in a 1v1. hell he was fighting all of them at once basically and he'd already been stabbed. I see no reason to believe the admirals could win against any emperor in a straight fight

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I feel like a general tier list would be like,

Yonko
Admiral
Yonko Commander
Warlord

Then I dunno, Vice admiral maybe?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It isn't certain whether having a really good Devil Fruit power is guaranteed promotion or the WG gives the most powerful Fruits to freshly promoted Admirals. (given CP9 had unidentified Devil Fruits offered to them partway through Water 7, I get the impression it's the latter, the World Government keeps a stockpile of Devil Fruits and issues them to sufficiently powerful and loyal officers)

I'm pretty sure it was said that Fujitora was given his devil fruit as part of him agreeing to become an admiral, so it is definitely the latter. On the other hand, Kuzan had his DF back during Robin's flashback; was he an admiral at that point?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

He and sakazuki were both vice admirals at the time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Vice Admirals are basically wild cards. They range from nobodies to Garp.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Gyges posted:

Vice Admirals are basically wild cards. They range from nobodies to Garp.

I figured they were the Navy equivalent of pirate captains.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
p sure garp isn't an admiral because he chose to remain a vice admiral

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
garp could take any yonko imo

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Yeah I think I misinterpreted some translated extras:

https://thelibraryofohara.com/2019/01/23/new-information-regarding-the-bounties-of-the-yonko-news-roundup/

What it says is that Shanks, despite not having a devil fruit, can still fight at the Admiral level - and that his bounty is the highest of the living Yonko. Although the wording of that does seem to imply that Yonko and Admirals are very nearly on the same level. Clearly this was published post Whitebeard so it doesn't have to factor how strong he was into it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Narratively they have to be on the same level. Itd make no sense otherwise since they represent the heights of the current OP world, and theyre in a stalemate cold war situation where the yonko can do almost whatever they want in the new world as long as they stay out of the grand line / four Blues / places with significant WG presence.

Id bet if any of the yonko got into a straightforward slugfest with an admiral itd be a tossup.

But the events leading to that ever hapenning would gurantee an absolute Marinford like clusterfuck, and that is the more interesting situation.

Whens OP coming out i wanna see what choppers up to

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Super Rad posted:

Yeah I think I misinterpreted some translated extras:

https://thelibraryofohara.com/2019/01/23/new-information-regarding-the-bounties-of-the-yonko-news-roundup/

What it says is that Shanks, despite not having a devil fruit, can still fight at the Admiral level - and that his bounty is the highest of the living Yonko. Although the wording of that does seem to imply that Yonko and Admirals are very nearly on the same level. Clearly this was published post Whitebeard so it doesn't have to factor how strong he was into it.

Someone in the comments suggests that the bit about Shanks having the highest bounty is a misunderstanding. It would make no sense for him to have a higher one than Kaidou, who is stronger in a one-on-one fight, causes more destruction, and even seems somewhat more opposed to the status quo (remember, Shanks forced all sides to back down at the end of the Whitebeard War and warned the Elder Stars about Rocks).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver2195 posted:

It would make no sense for him to have a higher one than Kaidou, who is stronger in a one-on-one fight

consider: is he, though?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Bounty isn't just strength though. Shanks might have more ties/info on what Roger was all about. The WG could consider him a ticking timebomb.

Also, dude clashed with Kaido prevented him from going to the summit war and looked in perfect health.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Narratively they have to be on the same level. Itd make no sense otherwise since they represent the heights of the current OP world, and theyre in a stalemate cold war situation where the yonko can do almost whatever they want in the new world as long as they stay out of the grand line / four Blues / places with significant WG presence.

Id bet if any of the yonko got into a straightforward slugfest with an admiral itd be a tossup.

But the events leading to that ever hapenning would gurantee an absolute Marinford like clusterfuck, and that is the more interesting situation.

Whens OP coming out i wanna see what choppers up to

Theyre only in a stalemate because the emperor's don't work together. Whitebeard and shanks together would have hosed the marines up. Whitebeard in his prime instead of already dying would have hosed them up

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah Shanks was on the crew of the Pirate King putting a massive target on his back becuase I doubt he'd be like Buggy and be cowardly about it.

He's also well established as well so it's not a shock they just piled bounties on him as he rose into power as a Yonko.

Also regarding Kizary, he is rxtremely relaxed which is a funny joke with how his devil fruit easily makes him the fastest character in OP by default yet despite this is extremely ruthless in hunting down criminals.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 20, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bleck posted:

consider: is he, though?

"People say, 'In a one-on-one fight, always bet on Kaidou.'" I guess you could argue that Shanks is hiding his power level (even from Mihawk?), but if so, his bounty wouldn't take his true power into account, so Kaidou would still have a higher one.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

On one side you have the fluff on Kaidou's intro. On the other side Shanks stopped Kaidou from going to Marineford.

It'll turn out it'll just be that Shanks gave up his booze stash to get kaidou to go back home.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kild posted:

It'll turn out it'll just be that Shanks gave up his booze stash to get kaidou to go back home.

I like this explanation because it means Shanks's primary method of negotiation with his fellow emperors is to give them booze

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Most people want to be the Pirate King. Shanks has gone one better and is already the Party King.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

think about it; why did the five elders really agree to meet with shanks? :cheers:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

U-DO Burger posted:

think about it; why did the five elders really agree to meet with shanks? :cheers:

I love the Reverie arc, but also hate it because stuff like this probably isn't getting answered until years later.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Whoa what the heck these foxy pirates shot the hoooooorse NOT COOL.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Whoa what the heck these foxy pirates shot the hoooooorse NOT COOL.

thanks for reminding me that luffy is going to challenge shanks to a davy back fight and force him to join his crew

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

scary ghost dog posted:

thanks for reminding me that luffy is going to challenge shanks to a davy back fight and force him to join his crew

Shanks is playing the extremely long game and when luffy loses at the davy back fight shanks will ask for one of his arms

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f3_oA0uwY0

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
luffy will lose the davyback fight vs shanks so it will just end up him being in shanks' crew

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

luffy would just chose the weirdest looking member of shanks's crew

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shanks just gives Luffy some juice instead of Beckman.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I feel like a general tier list would be like,

Yonko
Admiral
Yonko Commander
Warlord

Then I dunno, Vice admiral maybe?

I think the warlords have a range of strength but generally speaking that sounds right. I'd definitely put Doflamingo, Jinbei, and Mihawk at the upper tier of the Warlords, and possibly equal or even exceeding some Yonkou commanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mihawk's never been injured or hit throughout all of One Piece so far.

Dude's badass.

Granted he didn't really fight any major names during Marineford except Vista and Daz Bones.