Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

SimplyCosmic posted:

While the worst cartoons seem to always come from conservatives, I'm wondering about the flipside.

Are there any hilariously bad liberal cartoonists on the level of Ted Rall or Ben Garrison?

I'm looking for you but other than Rall I'm not really finding anything worth posting. Generally the worst that I've lucked into finding are either DASGDC or really milquetoast like this one

I could post the comic defending neckbeards, would that count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
Two updates from Canada's frozen hell island.

Gerry Rogers, leader of the provincial NDP surprised everyone with her announcement that she is stepping down as the party leader. Did some asking around and it seems this was not a surprise to a lot of people who knew Gerry, it was just the timing of the announcement that was surprising.

The island has been hit with a string of backhoe related thefts. A lot of the backhoes in the province use a master key setup so people have started to steal them and drive them into grocery stores to steal ATMs.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Somfin posted:

2024 read-along: The Therapist

Wowie he almost took responsibility for his failed relationship for a second before out of nowhere blaming his parents for no reason (despite the fact that if it was their fault and he was "repeating history" or whatever they would have been divorced 30 or 38 times too). I dont see the point of sex/relationships being so focal to the story here seemingly, there is no taboo against having sex or even being in a loving meaningful relationship so him wanting to do that isnt any sort of wrong think or illegal or anything, he just isnt doing it while claiming he wants to but blaming society and his parents for why he hasn't. Some aspects of his character in theory should make him vaguely sympathetic but everything about the execution just makes him seem boring and lovely and pretentious.

Also rall keeps doing this thing in the top right of the second page where i guess the top dots are supposed to be eyebrows but it just looks like characters are constantly shedding a single tear like the statue of liberty in a loving kelly comic. It makes it a much more fun read tbh

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I'm glad you distinguish the frozen hell island from the frozen hell mainland.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Namaer posted:

I think it's supposed to be a pearl necklace but check out that literal noose on McCabe.

Yeah. What's that about? There's too much news now for me to keep track of who's on the Fox and Company shitlist, but I didn't get the sense that they hated McCabe to a "let's loving kill that guy" degree.

Ed. Oh I guess he told Coop that Trump "might be" a Russian intelligence asset. Okay!

betaraywil fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 20, 2019

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Unironically good Rall (other than the art ofc)

Every time I hear someone say "electable" meaning "bland milquetoast centrist" I want to scream

bartok
May 10, 2006

With a thread full of cartoonist with heinous opinions I don't know why corny conservative grandpa JRRose makes me so goddamn angry. Maybe it has to do with knowing he holds the same heinous opinions as a Lester or McCoy but he hides it with lame jokes and "a thing happened" cartoons.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

bartok posted:

With a thread full of cartoonist with heinous opinions I don't know why corny conservative grandpa JRRose makes me so goddamn angry. Maybe it has to do with knowing he holds the same heinous opinions as a Lester or McCoy but he hides it with lame jokes and "a thing happened" cartoons.

For me it's his "aw gee shucks!" Attitude towards truly heinous opinions. If he was really, honestly middle of the road (or essentially apolitical) I probably wouldn't mind him so much.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

oh my god :vince:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SimonChris posted:

I like how the Noble Savage also hates sex and thinks women who have it are dirty sluts, undeserving of love. Because that's totally the natural belief of man in nature.

You weren't supposed to agree with the creepy abusive volcel guy who was so terrified of sex that he killed himself after an orgy.

John wasn't a noble savage, he represented our existing repressed society. He's the conservative whose reaction to totalitarian government that controls the people with drugs and sex and genetic engineering is to long for an imaginary perfect past that he thinks we can return to if we control the people with violence and fear instead.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 20, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Those jackals will tear themselves to pieces trying to get their hands on the gaybies. Then BLAMMO! I swoop in with my lukewarm takes and my lazy copy pasted art and take every prize!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Or, and get this, we could support the candidate that best represents our beliefs, and then reevaluate this if it becomes clear that their victory is impossible and pick the best remaining candidate?

Nah, it's team sports, everyone knows you can't change teams mid season.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

David Pope x 3:

Feb. 20

:laffo:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Keiya posted:

Or, and get this, we could support the candidate that best represents our beliefs, and then reevaluate this if it becomes clear that their victory is impossible and pick the best remaining candidate?

Nah, it's team sports, everyone knows you can't change teams mid season.

CNN just gave a CEO whose possible entrance into the campaign was met with "seriously? gently caress off" from most quarters a 30 minute ad town hall meeting because of how centrist and reasonable he is. Ted Rall is a dipshit but this cartoon is spot on.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: RIP Bramble Cay melomys, officially extinct

:rip:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

Every time I hear someone say "electable" meaning "bland milquetoast centrist" I want to scream

Please clap for President JEB!.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SerialKilldeer posted:

Bennett at his worst is just kind of bland and vacuous, reusing the same visual metaphors and saying little of substance, though with good art and composition.

Speaking of which, I came across this old Bennett on Twitter, not sure what it's about and there's no date:

I can't figure out what it related to, but it was published in the Christian Science Monitor on August 1st, 2001. it's in his Pulitzer prize gallery. Possibly related to an article about a child AIDS epidemic in Africa?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I can't figure out what it related to, but it was published in the Christian Science Monitor on August 1st, 2001. it's in his Pulitzer prize gallery. Possibly related to an article about a child AIDS epidemic in Africa?

That's around the time that the Human Genome Project was getting "hey this is gonna be really interesting" press, but before the time when non-geneticists realized quite how complicated genetics is. I took this to be a "wow the future is going to be crazy" cartoon.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Gaybies nomination: Worst Caricature
Though tbh, I feel like Kirschen shouldn't even be allowed in this category.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

CuwiKhons posted:

I would nominally agree with this but Rall works for Sputnik International so I know the actual point of this comic is "vote third party and flush your vote down the toilet for your idealogical purity."

I love how Rall can be 100% right in a comic but then someone will always search for the most far out reason to say he's wrong

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Whatever he writes or says, we all know in our hearts that Rall will either vote for Schultz, or just not vote.

vvv good point!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 20, 2019

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Nah, we all know Rall is the kind who writes his own name in

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

im on the net me boys posted:

I love how Rall can be 100% right in a comic but then someone will always search for the most far out reason to say he's wrong

Sorry, is the group that signs his paychecks a non-issue?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Somfin posted:

Sorry, is the group that signs his paychecks a non-issue?

I'm not saying that, but I am saying that the point of his comic being that you should vote for a third party is a really huge stretch.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

loquacius posted:

Forums user loquacius admire that he thinks Reagan’s hair was x-treme.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

skeleton warrior posted:

Nah, we all know Rall is the kind who writes his own name in

Nah, Rall is the kind of guy who would humblebrag about how he SHOULD write his name in, and he'd probably win, but the world just isn't ready for his radical ideas yet.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

the_steve posted:

Nah, Rall is the kind of guy who would humblebrag about how he SHOULD write his name in, and he'd probably win, but the world just isn't ready for his radical ideas yet.

I think that's a winner.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rall's the kind of guy to not vote and say it's because he had a weird wart tap into his heart blood and soak the bed in gallons of ichor the night before the election

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Rall spends voting day castigating people on Twitter for voting for anyone because they're all centrist sellouts while "ironically" voting straight ticket R in a safe blue county

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the seven MPs who have resigned from Labour – Jeremy Corbyn has issued a defiant message to seven MPs who resigned from his party, reminding them they were elected to carry out policies in Labour’s manifesto"

Telegraph:

Karl Lagerfeld obituary

Independent:

Angela Smith apologises for 'funny tinge' remark After Shepard Fairey.

Times:

Evening Standard:

Tory modernising wing has been destroyed, say defecting trio of MPs

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on… Labour’s gang of seven

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

Who wore it better?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raised By Birds posted:

Who wore it better?

The Independent's cartoonist (Dave Brown?) gets point for adding the Corbyn tree, but the Times' cartoonist (Peter Brookes?) has better caricatures: at least his Chuka Umunna doesn't look like an Obama.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Raised By Birds posted:

Who wore it better?

It's happened before (30 or 40 years ago?) when the SDLP or whatever the hell they ended up called formed. The UK has a deliberately rigged system (like so many democracies) which only lets two parties survive long term. On top of that the current climate is horrendously polarised, these centerist folk don't stand a snowballs chance in hell.

So that said, I'd give the nod to the Times one.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

A thing happened:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/02/19/us/sailor-kissing-nurse-statute-vandalized-trnd/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

If I didn't know a dozen cartoonists were going to put up a blank space with a label like "Trump's National Emergency" or "Ocrazio-Cortrazy's Plans to Pay for Free Stuff" I would put this up for laziest non-Gorrell, because how do draw a whole cartoon and then punt on writing out three words?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Unlike our current president whose entire campaign hinged on giving his supporters a free wall that someone else would pay for.