Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Pharohman777 posted:

Oh, so you mean the famine that started before the current harsh sanctions?

I didn't know you forgot about when the famine started.

thankfully, in order to alleviate it, we have decided to redouble our sanctions.

because America cares, about the people suffering, in Venezuela.

this is a thing people seem to actually believe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
YMB, "we" is the US, not the Venezuelan opposition. Do you not understand that they are different people with different goals and motivations?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Pharohman777 posted:

Oh, so you mean the famine that started before the current harsh sanctions?

I didn't know you forgot about when the famine started.

so the us took a food crisis and made it worse

again, why are you guys saying it's cool that the opposition is asking the US for help?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i like how you guys keep trying to pretend the opposition is totally distinct from america despite numerous examples of the opposition working hand in hand with the us government. guess you just gotta plug your ears up if you want to pretend the opposition is not a us-backed coup

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The difference is that you are unwilling to acknowledge a distinction between the Venezuelan opposition's agency or motives and the United States. The Venezuelan opposition is trying to leverage foreign countries to restore the country, and because the United States has to be a part of that process, because it's the only place Venezuelan oil can really be refined. You conflate the two, and then shift the scope of commentary entirely to the United States, and then present the entire topic in terms of a dichotomy framed by the involvement of the United States.You've been really open about this!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

is this the thread where we say the Iraq War was a good idea because I want in on that

Moridin920 posted:

Oh gently caress off like they aren't intertwined as hell.

sometimes you are presented a choice between two terrible options. and at that point, it is your unenviable obligation to try to pick the less awful of the two. i certainly can't fault Guiado for picking up the bloody sledgehammer of friendship. it's certainly the best option for him, personally, to try to advance his personal standing. he might even believe he can rein in the worst of his new friends' excesses!

here's hoping the intervening years have softened them, or that the dysfunction of american government prevents us from going through with it. because otherwise, you are about to go on a ride we've put an awful lot of countries on over the last fifty years. and nobody but the military gets off it saying "man, sure am glad all that happened."

there is the side that says a US-backed intervention is worth supporting, and the side that says it is not.

there are many efforts to throw additional weight on one or the other side of that argument, but those are the two sides of the present discussion.

hey, who knows, maybe Elliot Abrams has discovered ways to get what he wants out of uncomfortably left-aligned regimes that don't involve applying sledgehammers to children! we can dream!

"we have to destroy the village to save the village"

Other content, other materials, other people, don't get discussed. In the pursuit of this frame, sources get posted without citation or critical engagement, including straight up state propaganda presented as independent journalism. Lies, lies that are really obvious, get repeated over and over again. Everyone else winds up spending time and effort trying to disentangle and refute this tide of shitposting. Thus, by a constant shifting of rhetorical focus, a thread about the details of the situation in Venezuela becomes yet another thread about the United States.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Discendo Vox posted:

The difference is that you are unwilling to acknowledge a distinction between the Venezuelan opposition's agency or motives and the United States.

thats correct, because I don't believe there is any such distinction. hope that helps you understand things better

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I thought India was also refining Venezuelan oil, hence the dismissal of India's support for Maduro

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Condiv posted:

thats correct, because I don't believe there is any such distinction. hope that helps you understand things better

Cease to Hope posted:

there's a lot of american leftists who can't keep their US chauvinism in their pants and don't understand that not every conversation everywhere is about the speaker's supposed affiliation in US politics.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

YMB, "we" is the US, not the Venezuelan opposition. Do you not understand that they are different people with different goals and motivations?

wholly comprehended. the thing is, the goals and motivations of the currently existing Venezuelan opposition include a substantial "under no circumstances are you to respond publicly or privately to anything your buddies in Washington do with less than full-throated support" clause.

i can entirely understand why someone responds "hell yeah" when the US issues invitations to Who Wants To Be The Next Augusto Pinochet contest. the opportunity to achieve tremendous personal wealth and power and/or get rid of people you hate, at the low low cost of a bunch of peasants you never cared about anyway? real alluring!

Guaido's people have their own goals, independent of America's. some of them might even not be exclusively in it for their own enrichment.

but both they and we know that in order to achieve those goals, they have to sit down, shut up, and hand out sledgehammers like good little boys and girls when their friendly Uncle Abrams says so. because it is probatable to describe the things that will happen to them if they say "that is wrong."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

"supposed" affiliation :lol:

the guy who ran to the trump administration and is hiring DC lobbyists has some very obvious affiliation with washington

but I guess this is an example of you telling yourself what you need to to pretend you're not supporting a trump-backed coup :shrug:

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yes, forums poster condiv, it's totally the US's fault Maduro and the PSUV enacted a bunch of policies that caused a famine. In fact if you look closely enough, you can see the faintly glowing puppet strings stretching from Maduro to the coffin of John Mccain.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Yes, forums poster condiv, it's totally the US's fault Maduro and the PSUV enacted a bunch of policies that caused a famine. In fact if you look closely enough, you can see the faintly glowing puppet strings stretching from Maduro to the coffin of John Mccain.

it's totally the US's fault that it dumped a ton of sanctions on a country suffering from a famine. this isn't hard aggh bees

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This whole Venezuela thing is my favorite metal gear solid chapter.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Condiv posted:

there are distinctions. there are no doubt a great number of things that the Guaido wishes to do that his backers in the United States do not give a solitary gently caress about, and will gladly let him have free reign in. Noriega's drug trafficking, for example, or Rios Montt's deep and abiding evangelical faith. we're perfectly fine with our colonial adminstrators having hobbies to keep them busy.

as long as they never, under any circumstances, break with us on anything we consider important.

~guess what Elliot Abrams' stance on any left-wing organization operating in a subject country is~

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's apparently hard is for you, and many other people, to read the OP.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
India is trying to take the equivalent place in the market, but my impression so far is its capacity and the relative cost ratio are unlikely to function beyond the short term - they can refine Venezuelan oil, but it's not really profitable to do so (even back in 2018 Venezuela was trying to sell India oil at a 30% discount and via their short-lived cryptocurrency). The other factor is that one of the two major Indian importers is a conglomerate shell principally controlled by the Russian government.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 20, 2019

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

AGGGGH BEES posted:

What's apparently hard is for you, and many other people, to read the OP.

the op doesn't change the fact that the US implemented sanctions on a country that's suffering from a famine aggh bees

dunno why you think it's a good thing the opposition is in bed with the people starving venezuelans for political gain

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

The difference is that you are unwilling to acknowledge a distinction between the French opposition's agency or motives and the Nazis. Petain is trying to leverage foreign countries to restore the country, and because Germany has to be a part of that process, because it's they are occupying the country and all of it's natural resources. You conflate the two, and then shift the scope of commentary entirely to the Nazis, and then present the entire topic in terms of a dichotomy framed by the involvement of Nazi Germany.You've been really open about this!

Other content, other materials, other people, don't get discussed. In the pursuit of this frame, sources get posted without citation or critical engagement, including straight up state propaganda presented as independent journalism. Lies, lies that are really obvious, get repeated over and over again. Everyone else winds up spending time and effort trying to disentangle and refute this tide of shitposting. Thus, by a constant shifting of rhetorical focus, a thread about the details of the situation in Vichy France becomes yet another thread about the Nazi Germany.

it doesn't matter if collaborators are motivated by the best of intentions, the very nature of collaboration makes them tools of their masters. i did this not to godwin it up, but because you are trying to put rhetorical distance between two inextricably linked parties. guaido has no electoral mandate, and only one air force general without aircraft for an army. all that he has is the diplomatic recognition of the us and europe, and billions in money stolen from the PSUV (generously held in safekeeping for him by the us). guaido has literally 0 leverage to negotiate with, as all of his cards are currently held by the us. how could he have distinct aims from the us at this point, and more to the point how could he possibly oppose the us on anything? he is far more of a puppet than Petain ever was.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Condiv posted:

the op doesn't change the fact that the US implemented sanctions on a country that suffering from a famine aggh bees

Plz explain how current US sanctions are related to the famine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GoluboiOgon posted:

it doesn't matter if collaborators are motivated by the best of intentions, the very nature of collaboration makes them tools of their masters. i did this not to godwin it up, but because you are trying to put rhetorical distance between two inextricably linked parties. guaido has no electoral mandate, and only one air force general without aircraft for an army. all that he has is the diplomatic recognition of the us and europe, and billions in money stolen from the PSUV (generously held in safekeeping for him by the us). guaido has literally 0 leverage to negotiate with, as all of his cards are currently held by the us. how could he have distinct aims from the us at this point, and more to the point how could he possibly oppose the us on anything? he is far more of a puppet than Petain ever was.

Read the OP. Guaidó existed before he entered your field of vision, as did the rest of Venezuelan domestic political history. We've been over the legal basis of the national assembly so many, many times now.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GoluboiOgon posted:

you list all of these assets and not the popular support of those in Venezuela who are opposed to Maduro. Do you think such people don't exist or don't matter?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

you list all of these assets and not the popular support of those in Venezuela who are opposed to Maduro. Do you think such people don't exist or don't matter?

Yes. They don't matter to him.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Shaocaholica posted:

Plz explain how current US sanctions are related to the famine.

you mean other than exacerbating it? or are you asking me to explain to you that sanctions tend to go hand in hand with food shortages just on their own :lol:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Yes. They don't matter to him.

I'm not interested in people characterizing the arguments of their opponents as cynically as possible, thanks. There's enough of that white noise already.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hmm I wonder why people would be cagey about guaido being proudly sponsored by USAID and the state department

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cease to Hope posted:

he doesn't seem to have that much popular support tbh. there are clearly many people who oppose maduro, (judging from those huge rallies), but many fewer people show up to pro-guaido rallies than anti-maduro ones. the opposition seems very fragmented, which only weakens guaido's hand to negotiate (as he could be replaced with any one of his rivals almost interchangeably).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yup, it's Russia Today. Note the lack of attribution in both CLB's post and in the original image. Both are intentional.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Read the OP. Guaidó existed before he entered your field of vision, as did the rest of Venezuelan domestic political history.

if you have any evidence suggesting that Guaido or his people have either the capability or inclination to tell their backers in DC to gently caress off, he has no interest in being a Pinochet for the 21st century, that would be very reassuring.

because for some reason, every time I've asked for that, all I've gotten is people getting upset about how dare I bring up those backers' resumes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Condiv posted:

you mean other than exacerbating it? or are you asking me to explain to you that sanctions tend to go hand in hand with food shortages just on their own :lol:

Just looking at Venezuela exacerbates the famine so that's a pretty weak connection.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

But meanwhile Israel does Palestine worse than this and it is antisemitism if anyone says peep about it.

I'd like to see the opposition say "thanks but if this is how you're going to help then no thanks" and lean more on the EU or something.

I do believe that Maduro sucks and has done bad things. I was wrong about the election stuff - I see that he only called for parliamentary elections and not presidential. I don't think Trump, Pence, and Rubio aren't doing anything helpful are are just making otherwise well meaning people question the entire situation. It's obviously a hosed situation in Venezuela but the USA has made poo poo worse just by sticking their dicks in and muddying the waters.

What am I supposed to think about this poo poo?

Who are these ghouls speculating about further bringing USAID into the intelligence community fold? I'm supposed to believe that they give a poo poo about Venezuelans?

USA should go take care of Puerto Rico which is still hosed beyond belief afaik (death toll = to 9/11 death toll at this point) and stop trying to send spec ops into a volatile situation

How was it too hard to ship supplies to Puerto Rico because "so far away so so far away you know ISLAND big ISLAND AND WATER" but they can send a bunch of cargo planes to Venezuela like that?

But now their bleeding hearts are gonna fix Venezuela? pff.

Every goddamn thing the USA involves itself in becomes suspect due to decades if not centuries of US history - it shouldn't be all that surprising to see people begin then questioning all the facts once the USA involves itself so heavily.

Amnesty International is actually pretty famous for making GBS threads on Israel. Give their Cast Lead report areas sometime.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Discendo Vox posted:

Yup, it's Russia Today. Note the lack of attribution in both CLB's post and in the original image. Both are intentional.

here's a non RT story about the US trying to coup venezuela:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/apr/21/usa.venezuela

of course, I don't fault you for dismissing the propaganda arm of russia out of hand. i mean, that's what I do wrt the us-backed opposition in venezuela. some people are just not trustworthy because of who they are affiliated with

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Shaocaholica posted:

Just looking at Venezuela exacerbates the famine so that's a pretty weak connection.

if that's the case then sanctions, which have caused food shortages on their own in the past, are certainly making the situation way worse. hope that helps your understanding of things

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

you constantly nitpick about sources because you are completely unwilling to consider that you might be wrong. therefore, anything that might force you to change your opinion of the world must be russian/venezuelan/qatari propaganda from evil state-run media. speaking of shifting rhetorical focuses, you constantly do this as a way to not engage with any of the information in a post. a healthy distrust of media and concern with sourcing is good, but you take it too far as a way of burying your own head in the sand. do you have any actual information that that infographic is wrong? or are you just calling facts you don't want to admit russian propaganda?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I mean Russia Today is literally a state propaganda agency. As I have discussed before, a major part of the modus of propaganda is to selectively present true information to create a false impression. There's nothing to discuss with its content, it's just more frame-shifting whataboutism.

Here's a good rule of thumb- if I'm having to look up where you're getting your information from because it's not being listed, and it turns out it's a propaganda agency, I'm probably not going to think you're arguing in good faith anymore. This keeps happening.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 20, 2019

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

I mean Russia Today is literally a state propaganda agency. As I have discussed before, a major part of the modus of propaganda is to selectively present true information to create a false impression. There's nothing to discuss with its content, it's just more frame-shifting whataboutism.

You are correct that the image is wrong- they forgot Bolivia

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Discendo Vox posted:

you're the one shifting frames by trying to pretend the US has no role in this situation at all. i mean, i understand why. you hate maduro and want him deposed even if it's by the puppet of donald trump, and you don't particularly care about the aftermath of said coup.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Condiv posted:

i mean, i understand why. you hate maduro and want him deposed even if it's by the puppet of donald trump, and you don't particularly care about the aftermath of said coup.

this is extremely good faith non-bullshit

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's still not a dichotomy, it's still not a coup, we're still on the same old treadmill, you still need to read the OP.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

sorry discendo vox, it's a trump-backed coup. it's been plainly obvious for a while now and the OP isn't gonna save you from that fact

Cease to Hope posted:

this is extremely good faith non-bullshit

he very clearly does hate maduro. I don't think he's wrong to hate maduro, but I do think he's short-sighted for arguing in favor of a US-backed coup

Condiv fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's a good rule of thumb- if I'm having to look up where you're getting your information from because it's not being listed, and it turns out it's a propaganda agency, I'm probably not going to think you're arguing in good faith anymore. This keeps happening.

if it is nefarious russian propaganda, point out where it is wrong. state propaganda sometimes prints the truth (especially about their enemies).