Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

prefect posted:

Ireland doesn't want Northern Ireland back? I had assumed they wanted it.

Ireland does want it back, but isn't in any hurry. They've been quite happy to play a waiting game, gradually increasing cross-border relations and interdependency while the olds die out and the percentage of Northern Irish people in favour of unification increases.

There's no rush for immediate unification since the scale of the task is pretty big. You can't just increase the population of Ireland by 40% overnight.

Of course that was dependent on the Good Friday Agreement lasting. Now that the English have shat all over that with Brexit, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
800 something hours left

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1098188412954312704

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Elevator Screamer posted:

Ireland does want it back, but isn't in any hurry. They've been quite happy to play a waiting game, gradually increasing cross-border relations and interdependency while the olds die out and the percentage of Northern Irish people in favour of unification increases.

Is there a chart of unification popularity over the years? That sounds interesting.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hey just watching the PMQs now and why is May wearing a dog collar

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lmao anybody remember :nws:that scene:nms: from 120 days of sodom? "Then eat poo poo."

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Can you provide a source for that please?

from 2016: Just one-in-three in Republic would support united Ireland if taxes rose

idk how no deal would change this though

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1098234559219597312

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Fallen Hamprince posted:

RoI polling on reunification is actually highly dependent on whether or not it entails paying higher taxes

lmao that Northern Ireland is the North Korea of Ireland

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ramadu posted:

What does "right wing entryism" mean?

the people who say the quiet parts loud are taking over

More broadly 'entryism' is where people you don't like start showing up to meetings and changing your group through the processes your group has for change. "The new leaders are all fash/commies" is usually part and parcel.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
if there is a no deal brexit irish re-unification is almost certain.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is going to be extremely popular with voters

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1098233242522697728

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

lmfao what pathetic dumbasses

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Jose posted:

So they are going to get 95% of the boomer vote then

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ramadu posted:

So they are going to get 95% of the boomer vote then

No because they're claiming they're not a racist party

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So given that a successful no confidence vote would destroy TIG, as would any no confidence vote in which members of TIG supported May, we can assume that there is a cap on the number of tory defectors they can actually accept. Are they going to just claim to have a ton of tories right about to defect for the next 3 years?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

30.5 Days posted:

So given that a successful no confidence vote would destroy TIG, as would any no confidence vote in which members of TIG supported May, we can assume that there is a cap on the number of tory defectors they can actually accept. Are they going to just claim to have a ton of tories right about to defect for the next 3 years?

There's nothing stopping the defectors voting to support May even if there were no arrangements and as they've wailed so much about preventing PM Corbyn at all costs I'd expect them to.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
lol the UK is hosed, TIG is guaranteeing a no deal brexit

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
It doesn't need to be massively popular with voters. The point is to skim enough support off Labour to prevent them from being able to form a government, not to form a government themselves.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Corny posted:

lol the UK is hosed, TIG is guaranteeing a no deal brexit

no deal was guaranteed months ago
TIG is trying to guarantee no Corbyn

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
heh, we all know the anti semitism charges are bullshit because who in their right mind could possibly not support Israel feverishly and unquestionably?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Bryter posted:

It doesn't need to be massively popular with voters. The point is to skim enough support off Labour to prevent them from being able to form a government, not to form a government themselves.

What happens if there are elections and there is no party with a majority, and the largest party is unable to form a ruling coalition?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

twoday posted:

What happens if there are elections and there is no party with a majority, and the largest party is unable to form a ruling coalition?

If they can command the confidence of a majority of the house despite being unable to form a coalition, they can form a minority government. If not, the second largest party get an opportunity to try to form a government.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

twoday posted:

It's a fair question, but when they say 'skim off support' they mean taking just enough votes per constituency from Labour for the Tories to win that seat and not winning two/three seats themselves

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

heh, we all know the anti semitism charges are bullshit because who in their right mind could possibly not support Israel feverishly and unquestionably?

especially why would a left wing party have such trouble with this position... i think we all know the (((reason)))

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'd have thought that panic would've set in by now as it becomes clear to even the dullest MP that May can't get a better deal out of the EU and no-deal Brexit becomes more and more likely.

And yet the entire island, at least from an outside view, appears obsessed with trivialities and deck chair arrangements.

We've got you beat in the food department, but no one does decadent late empire like the UK.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I can't wait for May to go back to Juncker and say Brexit means Brexit.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

twoday posted:

then america launches the nukes

not at the UK but just in general

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's rare and probably never accurate to trace the ruin of a country back to one person.

But for the UK that person is either Thatcher or Blair.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

"Those new people don't share Labour values, and btw I'm a Tory now"

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
lol

https://twitter.com/ChukaUmunna/status/779636276555284480

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'd have thought that panic would've set in by now as it becomes clear to even the dullest MP that May can't get a better deal out of the EU and no-deal Brexit becomes more and more likely.

And yet the entire island, at least from an outside view, appears obsessed with trivialities and deck chair arrangements.

We've got you beat in the food department, but no one does decadent late empire like the UK.

I'm thinking the same thing. When will the actual realization start? Only when food stops?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

namesake posted:

It's rare and probably never accurate to trace the ruin of a country back to one person.

Porque no los dos?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

namesake posted:

Thatcher posted:

L'état, c'est moi

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

traditional new labour thoughts about loving the poor on the altar of common sense

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

namesake posted:

Neither thatcher nor blair held the brexit referendum, the person you're thinking of is named "David Cameron."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

lmao what a piece of poo poo

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

420 Gank Mid posted:

What a fuckin' surprise. What an absolute fuckin' shocker.

Turns out racism is actually about having a "funny" skin tint

Erm no.
It's just the relative relief between being a visible minority vs not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lmao what a piece of poo poo

Truly the most courageous thing a person could do is to say something like that and completely ignore it for personal and political gain