Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Minh streams but he's not a streamer. Also yeah, Woolie probably played ZoE2 once and really liked it, but never actually went back to it, which is fine. You can really like something even if you've only played/watched/listened to it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Dias posted:

Minh streams but he's not a streamer. Also yeah, Woolie probably played ZoE2 once and really liked it, but never actually went back to it, which is fine. You can really like something even if you've only played/watched/listened to it once.

Bablyon 5 was one of the most formative and beloved television shows of my life, and until recently I never watched it outside of the handful of years it was on TV while I was in middle and high school. Also it absolutely holds up, so it fits with that moniker Woolie gave Zoe2: The Least Underrated X Of All Time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MaxDuo posted:

For the past 10 episodes or so I've wondered how much Woolie ever played ZoE2 though. I feel like he's praised ZoE2 a ton before, but he doesn't seem to remember much of anything in the game and doesn't seem to be that great at it.

That description fits drat near every game they've ever talked about.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish Woolie would let Minh onto one of the podcasts so he can explain his origin story.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So from what I'm understanding, Pat and Woolie just talked it out and the chat was insufferable?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

So from what I'm understanding, Pat and Woolie just talked it out and the chat was insufferable?

Pretty much. They didn't really want to come on a conclusion on a game that just came out in a language they don't speak that also requires them to spoil the ending to talk about and which because of that means they'll probably never hear a response from a developer or publisher because of it but also didn't want to ignore it because the implications were dire (though they didn't dance around spoilers either, they just told people to ignore the next section if they intend to play). And then the second they brought up a link to resetera (not just for that, for the "Nintendo is reviving a dead game" thing too) it just became an endless stream of "fuckin' sjw cunts" "gently caress resetera for smearing this game director" etc. nonsense.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

That's cool man. I'm glad they weren't lovely about it. The site woolie linked was hella sus but oh well. That entire Catherine thing is a loving trash fire.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

As represented on this thread.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Phantasium posted:

And then the second they brought up a link to resetera (not just for that, for the "Nintendo is reviving a dead game" thing too) it just became an endless stream of "fuckin' sjw cunts" "gently caress resetera for smearing this game director" etc. nonsense.

Makes me wonder how much of their audience comes from 4chan, because that's totally a 4chan thing. I know dumb website tribalism isn't new or exclusive to that hole in particular, but that totally reads as some /v/ bullshit right there.

To add something positive, I think the previous podcast got good again once they got past Pat's pie story. It started to feel like Chewie and Fuckface again, especially the colostomy bag being a target-able weak point. Catherine stuff aside, I'm eager to listen to the new one now.

HoboTech fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 19, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Honestly it's probably coming more from reddit nowadays

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Reddit is all over the place. It's a toxic shthole in the greater sense, but, I've seen decent patches of pushback against transphobia and similar in places like r/games. The bestfriends sub has usually been pretty cool from the times Ive checked on it.

What reddit has on 4chan is probably volume/size/traffic, so the statement probably isn't ultimately wrong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's nothing offensive about the catherine segment. They think it sucks if it's true, but they can't tell because somehow nobody speaks japanese in this mess and Atlus won't spoil their new game 3 days after release.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Given they praised HBomb raising money for a trans-rights charity and had LGBT guests on the old podcast, I don't know who the gently caress was thinking CSB was going to be super reactionary or whatever.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

Given they praised HBomb raising money for a trans-rights charity and had LGBT guests on the old podcast, I don't know who the gently caress was thinking CSB was going to be super reactionary or whatever.

internet nazis always think everyone they like is like them

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

In all honesty, and I'm not saying this is true of them, but it would never surprise me if a cis person that has otherwise been a decent ally gets really dumb about it every now and then. Especially when it relates to people criticizing something they like.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Having now heard it, I think they did really well in that discussion.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Roth posted:

In all honesty, and I'm not saying this is true of them, but it would never surprise me if a cis person that has otherwise been a decent ally gets really dumb about it every now and then. Especially when it relates to people criticizing something they like.

Absolutely, but this is the opposite case where chuds are mad people that have a track record of being decent allies continuing to be decent allies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

There's nothing offensive about the catherine segment. They think it sucks if it's true, but they can't tell because somehow nobody speaks japanese in this mess and Atlus won't spoil their new game 3 days after release.

Phantasium only brought up talking about the chat when they got to the topic of Catherine so I don't think they meant that Woolie and Pat were lovely about anything.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Yeah, I don't think anyone was saying Woolie/Pat had reprehensible views, just the chat.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Did the mods take action against chat yesterday?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have ducked out of both of Matt's top 10 videos, but can totally get behind 6 hours of Pat being awful at games for 10 minutes of comedy i get

Andrast posted:

How does the loving sbf thread manage to get so vitriolic

Don't worry i'm back to make it worse

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Woolie's new "let's get into fighting games" intro is great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-JUCpEVP4

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

I have ducked out of both of Matt's top 10 videos, but can totally get behind 6 hours of Pat being awful at games for 10 minutes of comedy i get

[voice that sounds the way a forced smile looks] This anime pedophile game really fails to engage me, and it's a shame because there was a LOT of potential here; and only one anime child is available to grope at the start? Big disappointments all-around. It could have been something special, but it wasn't. That's why I've put it ... at number 6 in my list of bad ones.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

MagusDraco posted:

Woolie's new "let's get into fighting games" intro is great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-JUCpEVP4

The moment "This is True Love We're Making" kicked in, the real ugly tears came out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MagusDraco posted:

Alright thst's pretty rad

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

I saw it during the stream and got really hyped. Love it. Keep it coming Woolie!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MagusDraco posted:

NGL that made me a bit emotional.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

[voice that sounds the way a forced smile looks] This anime pedophile game really fails to engage me, and it's a shame because there was a LOT of potential here; and only one anime child is available to grope at the start? Big disappointments all-around. It could have been something special, but it wasn't. That's why I've put it ... at number 6 in my list of bad ones.

lol

I don't know why he bothered to make that list, most of them were just dumb poo poo he was buying for the channel, you knew it was crap, man.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Phantasium posted:

lol

I don't know why he bothered to make that list, most of them were just dumb poo poo he was buying for the channel, you knew it was crap, man.

Yeah, Matt's strength is not talking about things that he doesn't like. The whole video had a slightly forced Mother's-Basement quality to it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Matts stuff sucks rear end and hearing that he continues to put out bad content doesn't surprise me.

I'm not hating on the person himself, to be perfectly clear, but he just has no personality in his videos whatsoever. I tried watching his direct reaction and it was just the same timid boring Matt, just without anyone to even try bouncing off of.

Pat hasn't played a game that interested me outside RE2 and Woolie I just kinda wind up missing his streams more often or not. Liam's the only SBF that I still manage to catch really.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Matt nintendo direct video was extremely dire

Like he might as well only have put up the bit with Astral Chain because everything else was "I don't know/care what this is" topped off with him being upset the Link's Awakening art style wasn't "cool" enough

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I end up watching Woolie's stuff on YT because he does the sane thing and splits his streams into reasonable chunks. Also his LPs have been fun, other that Jojo being really hard for me to follow between Volta's audio and accent.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Matts stuff sucks rear end and hearing that he continues to put out bad content doesn't surprise me.

I'm not hating on the person himself, to be perfectly clear, but he just has no personality in his videos whatsoever. I tried watching his direct reaction and it was just the same timid boring Matt, just without anyone to even try bouncing off of.

Blockhouse posted:

The Matt nintendo direct video was extremely dire

Like he might as well only have put up the bit with Astral Chain because everything else was "I don't know/care what this is" topped off with him being upset the Link's Awakening art style wasn't "cool" enough

Yeah Matt without someone to bounce off of has kind of been a let down. He's just kind of bland in a lot of his latest stuff which is a shame because he can turn a phrase like no other.

"No no no...find out what will kill me then back it up a little" is a joke that haunts my brain to this day.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Matt is a really good riffer and he's also good at telling you why he loves the poo poo he loves. Unfortunately I think most of what he's worked on isn't really playing to those strengths.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The truth is Matt was always at his best when ad-libbing with someone else, and his solo and scripted content just doesn't measure up. The only stuff I regularly watch of his these days is his stuff with Crymetina. I still hope he improve as he gets more experience and figures out his own voice.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

This past week I realized I haven't actually watched content from any of them since the split. Never cared much for Liam, Matt is fine but I agree that he needs someone else there, Pat's streams just make me want to fall asleep (and I'm not watching his stuff with Paige), and while Woolie's channel is the stuff I'll eventually catch up on I still don't have a huge urge to go watch it right away. I just can't get excited over top 10 lists or solo streams.

I will definitely stick with WWFIO and CSB, though. WWFIO is great inspiration to work on personal projects, and CSB occasionally gives glimpses of what it could be (once was?).

I don't know, it's kind of a bummer.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Definitely watch the two RE2 streams Woolie and Pat did, if nothing else. I know it's like 12 hours or whatever at this point but it's been really fun watching Woolie go into a genre he's never really touched.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it takes him about 2 hours to get to the point where the demo originally ends. it's great

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Phantasium posted:

Definitely watch the two RE2 streams Woolie and Pat did, if nothing else. I know it's like 12 hours or whatever at this point but it's been really fun watching Woolie go into a genre he's never really touched.

I probably should, I just don't really care about RE. Like, at all.

Maybe I'll try it this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

it takes him about 2 hours to get to the point where the demo originally ends. it's great

After KOTOR and now 7th Stand User I'm not sure "watch Woolie take forever to make progress in a video game" is the pitch you wanna go with here