Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
please delete Bioware thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

BexGu posted:

But lets be honest. After Andromeda and now Anthem would any one want another Mass Effect game from EA?

I'd be more happy if the rights got sold off to a smaller company like Digital Extremes (creators of Warframe) that would honestly give it their all.

I'd love a low stakes Mass Effect game set after the red ending. Something like DA2 but less awful, where you have a band of gently caress ups on a station that you're trying to fix after the world kind of ended.

But of course, that's never going to happen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BexGu posted:

But lets be honest. After Andromeda and now Anthem would any one want another Mass Effect game from EA?

I'd be more happy if the rights got sold off to a smaller company like Digital Extremes (creators of Warframe) that would honestly give it their all.

i don't. I trust weekes enough to do a good job with dragon age. but with a new Mass effect. gently caress no. they have no idea what to do with franchise.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nichael posted:

I'd love a low stakes Mass Effect game set after the red ending. Something like DA2 but less awful, where you have a band of gently caress ups on a station that you're trying to fix after the world kind of ended.

But of course, that's never going to happen.

id love a mass effect like 300 or so years after the reapers. maybe red or blue ending.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i don't. I trust weekes enough to do a good job with dragon age. but with a new Mass effect. gently caress no. they have no idea what to do with franchise.

I'd say stop trying to make more sequels to a story with a good and natural ending (looking at you, Star Wars), but Anthem shows they have no idea what to do with a new franchise, either.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Their preferred ending for ME3 was to destroy the franchise so yeah they have no idea what to do with it now

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I'd say stop trying to make more sequels to a story with a good and natural ending (looking at you, Star Wars), but Anthem shows they have no idea what to do with a new franchise, either.

DA inquestion at least set up a sequel really well. Anthem just doesn't have poo poo. some of the setting ideas are cool but because its a multiplayer loot shooter, it will never do anything with it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The problem is they have had a broad plan of what to do with Dragon Age from the start, while they never had the equivalent for Mass Effect. So you get the pointless narrative of Andromeda, following the extremely dumb ending of 3, and the completely dropped plot threads of 2.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

DA inquestion at least set up a sequel really well. Anthem just doesn't have poo poo. some of the setting ideas are cool but because its a multiplayer loot shooter, it will never do anything with it.

All the DA games set up future games well. There's clear foreshadowing in Origins of events in 2 and 3. Each game feels like it has a point for existing, the same can't be said for Andromeda or Anthem.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

2 didn’t have a good or coherent main plot at all. However the side plots, which is what 90% of the game was, were really good and between 2 and 3 you figure hey they’re going to pull all these threads together right?

Nope. Everything involving the reapers was even dumber and the only plot that came together and truly paid off was the Krogan one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nichael posted:

The problem is they have had a broad plan of what to do with Dragon Age from the start, while they never had the equivalent for Mass Effect. So you get the pointless narrative of Andromeda, following the extremely dumb ending of 3, and the completely dropped plot threads of 2.

All the DA games set up future games well. There's clear foreshadowing in Origins of events in 2 and 3. Each game feels like it has a point for existing, the same can't be said for Andromeda or Anthem.

yeah anthem just doesn't have enough, too much of it is outright copied from destiny but without any of the cleverish stuff. the scarrs are an interesting concept but they don't do anything and are basically if Ooogie Boogie was the The Fallen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

2 didn’t have a good or coherent main plot at all. However the side plots, which is what 90% of the game was, were really good and between 2 and 3 you figure hey they’re going to pull all these threads together right?

Nope. Everything involving the reapers was even dumber and the only plot that came together and truly paid off was the Krogan one.

yeah. also i liked DA 2 for the same reasons and i liked how low scaled the threats were.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't wait to see what completely inexperienced team they give the Bioware name to.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2 is the best game Bioware ever wrote and I am going to flip out at anyone who complains about the "main plot" of it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The main plot of 2 makes sense.

Much like how some of these people insisted that the Mass Effect series was always as horrible as Andromeda, people think that ME2's plot was always total nonsense when it only became so with the advent of the third game.

Anthem is an amazing failure and it's kind of sad that the OP of that thread is being paid by Bioware.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

2 is the best game Bioware ever wrote and I am going to flip out at anyone who complains about the "main plot" of it.

Yeah, it's way better than the first baldurs gate

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Baldur's Gate 1 had a quest about polymorphing a chicken into a dude and sometimes it would just fail and kill the chicken. Oops, too bad!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"Looks like your *templar solution* wasn't the *holocaust* you were hoping for!" :smug:

No, Bioware, I'm not letting that go.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

hobbesmaster posted:

Their preferred ending for ME3 was to destroy the franchise so yeah they have no idea what to do with it now

The canon ending is Destroy, but not how the players thought...

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The main plot of 2 makes sense.

Much like how some of these people insisted that the Mass Effect series was always as horrible as Andromeda, people think that ME2's plot was always total nonsense when it only became so with the advent of the third game.

Anthem is an amazing failure and it's kind of sad that the OP of that thread is being paid by Bioware.

Anywho, the plot of ME2 should have been the story for ME1, then have the plot from ME1 as the second of the trilogy, and round it out with 3 but with Indoctrination Theory.

There. Series fixed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Anthem sucks? I for one am shocked!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've been calling it Mass Effect 76

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

The Crotch posted:

Baldur's Gate 1 had a quest about polymorphing a chicken into a dude and sometimes it would just fail and kill the chicken. Oops, too bad!

Lmao

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
impressive that in modern times bethesda looked at MEA and went 'we can do worse'

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

The Crotch posted:

in baldurs gate 2 there was a quest that you got by killing chickens because a farmer was shoving precious stones up their assholes

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CharlestonJew posted:

I've been calling it Mass Effect 76

lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arcsquad12 posted:

"Looks like your *templar solution* wasn't the *holocaust* you were hoping for!" :smug:

No, Bioware, I'm not letting that go.

OK my fault but did anyone seriously think someone would say Dragon Age 2 was good

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The baby skeleton robot was the bee's tits, wasn't it? The pajama's knees, as it were.

Anyhoo... I guess trusted sources have played the Anthem to completion, so there's no need to verify. Thirdhand information is the best, after all!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The baby skeleton robot was the bee's tits, wasn't it? The pajama's knees, as it were.

Anyhoo... I guess trusted sources have played the Anthem to completion, so there's no need to verify. Thirdhand information is the best, after all!

If people tell you the stove is hot and show you healed burn scars, maybe don't wait for people coming fresh out of the burn ward or insist on trying it yourself.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

boy do I not want to deal with shitloads of loading screens just to find out if the 1% more damage assault rifle is truly better so I think I'll pass

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'LL FORM MY OWN OPINIONS! I yell, as I repeatedly slam my dick in a door, hold my hand over a burning stove, and drink bleach.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

I'LL FORM MY OWN OPINIONS! I yell, as I repeatedly slam my dick in a door, hold my hand over a burning stove, and drink bleach.

:yeshaha:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I finally deleted Andromeda from my hard drive, admitting that I wasn't going to play through the game a second time just to be Space David Bowie and have sex with the nerd with lesbian hair. It's a shame.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

OK my fault but did anyone seriously think someone would say Dragon Age 2 was good

I think when you said 2 I misinterpreted that as you referring to DA2 rather than ME2, given that both games have lol stupid main plots and dragon age 2 has a contingent of ",so bad it's good" followers. So apologies if my point about awful DA2 dialogue was misdirected.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 21, 2019

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
2 was bad but not "kill a series" bad

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Halloween Jack posted:

I finally deleted Andromeda from my hard drive, admitting that I wasn't going to play through the game a second time just to be Space David Bowie and have sex with the nerd with lesbian hair. It's a shame.

I played Andromeda twice. When the game stops making you go through six loading screens to talk to a guy for ten seconds four or five times for every quest and just sets you loose with the rover and jetpack to explore and fight, Andromeda can actually be pretty fun.

But it's that godawful UI and quest design that killed the game for me.

Also, gently caress crafting systems in games that aren't survival oriented.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If we're being generous and ignoring Mass Effect 2's shortcomings (which there are), Dragon Age 2 marks the most visible tipping point in BioWare's decline in quality. It had a lot of goodwill off the bat given that it was following up three critical successes that had turned BioWare from "those Baldur's Gate and Kotor guys" to the most prominent western rpg developers of the 2000s.

And then you get this game that was rushed to completion with poor balance, recycled assets, squandered potential for nonlinear storytelling, and the most obnoxious marketing campaign since EA decided the best music for a Dragon Age Origins trialed was Marilyn Manson (also the fact they used This is the New poo poo shows that EA has no idea what they're doing, given that that song is a condemnation of blind consumerism and how corporations through gratuitous sex and violence into their products to sell them). I can't stress enough how sour the reception if that marketing push was and many soundbytes from it became symbolic of dragon age 2 as a whole.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 21, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cythereal posted:

I played Andromeda twice. When the game stops making you go through six loading screens to talk to a guy for ten seconds four or five times for every quest and just sets you loose with the rover and jetpack to explore and fight, Andromeda can actually be pretty fun.

But it's that godawful UI and quest design that killed the game for me.

Also, gently caress crafting systems in games that aren't survival oriented.

Yeah, it's just not worth going through a loading screen, then another loading screen to get to the part of the planet where you do stuff. Also the whole jungle planet mostly sucks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. also i liked DA 2 for the same reasons and i liked how low scaled the threats were.

Exactly. ME2 and DA2 came out at similar times and with similar design philosophies. Everyone says BW does lovely or at most boring main stories but they love the characters. So somebody at BioWare realized this and made two games that were all about the characters and relegated the plot to a secondary concern. I don't hate the story in ME2 or DA2 but it's decidedly unimportant and the appeal of both games lies in recruiting a team of morally ambiguous people to be your BFF's.

Mass Effect 2 is the most Dragon-Age-ihe game actually in that way. Your party in ME1 and 3 are a team of boy and girl scouts where Wrex and Javik stick out like sore thumbs as the only kinda bad dudes. Dragon Age always featured assassins and selfish assholes and stuff so ME2 kinda copied that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ME2 is the tightest main storyline Bioware ever wrote. Everything in that game moves along like a rocket once you leave Freedom's Progress, barely pausing for air. It is by far the best paced long-rear end WRPG I've ever played, which is an extremely good thing. Pacing is unbelievably important when dealing with a 40-hour game.

It's not even like ME3 where the main story missions are frequently the weak points of the game- the Collector Ship and the IFF mission are two of the most memorable main levels in the series, and the Suicide Mission is the best possible climax the game could have. It is insanely good.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Halloween Jack posted:

What a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Halloween Jack posted:

She'd probably just spend the entire night repeatedly telling you about how she was an Asari Commando, so you dodged a bullet.