Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I had an insane game where I was the Fylkir of the Scandinavian empire, and I gave out titles to the same about 8 noble families. There were some super intense internal wars, because these families would so often intermarry, that there were claims to press and alliances to honor all around, and it was glorious. At some point, these families got powerful enough that they started to conquer more territory than I did. It was a lot of fun balancing them internally, so that nobody got quite strong enough to oust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yeah, in my current fylkir game I'm handing out kingdoms to dynasty members only, for family glory purposes. We're only on the third generation and it's already a cluster of warring cousin-fuckers. The added difficulty of easy vassal alliances and the risk of kinslayer penalties for execution/assassination makes the blob game a little trickier.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you haven't had to seduce your sister or cousin so she'd have a kid and the title wouldn't pass out of the realm, are you even playing CK2?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
So right now I've got a county in Ireland that's owned by the King of Scotland, and another county being backed up by basically all of France. Guess I'm waiting a while for that alliance to break down while I try to convince the council we could probably fend off an invasion of the mainland. I've also put down another major rebellion, although it kind of drained the treasury.

Also, let me field a question here: is there a reason not to create duchy titles? The vassals apparently get pissed off at me for holding too many but is there a penalty for making more?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Randaconda posted:

if you haven't had to seduce your sister or cousin so she'd have a kid and the title wouldn't pass out of the realm, are you even playing CK2?

Even funnier when you do it outside of marriage just to impregnate your sister with a child that you then can marry because the dynasty has to stay clean and I have to land them all so that there's an unobservable clusterfuck of claims everywhere!
The true ck2 experience.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

If you are rocking eldership election then you want as many family members as possible to increase the odds of a ruler with great traits. I am constantly trolling for dynasty members who have quick, strong, or genius traits. When I find them I immediately try to give them land to try and ensure as much as possible that the traits will continue to be reproduced.

I do not know how many people are in my dynasty in the mega africa game I am in which is about year 1200, but I do know that the vile bloodline founded about 300 in game years ago has over 600 living descendants if I read the ledger correctly. It's the first ironman game I am trying to take the distance for the "rule for the entire timeline" achievement. one of my side goals is to get to 1000 decendents of the bloodline. 600 living decendents and I still run into dynasty members who do not have the vile blood farting around. Only downside to this is that it's super easy to get dynastic kinslayer if you arent paying attention and your chaplain catches them being an apostate and you mindelessly ok them being burned at the stake.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Skypie posted:

Also, let me field a question here: is there a reason not to create duchy titles? The vassals apparently get pissed off at me for holding too many but is there a penalty for making more?

The vassal opinion malus stacks with itself, so having four extra duchies is four times worse than having one extra. Try to keep yourself to two unless your vassals all like you anyway.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah I don't know why but the AI in my games will want to marry into the family the second I land them. Doesn't matter if they are first cousins, they want to keep the bloodline pure I guess. :v:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

The vassal opinion malus stacks with itself, so having four extra duchies is four times worse than having one extra. Try to keep yourself to two unless your vassals all like you anyway.

Ok, that's what I figured.

Also I'm currently confused because the game is giving me a "vassal inheritance warning" and saying that someone's titles might pass from my realm upon death. Except...it's my oldest son, and I'm using primogeniture so isn't he going to inherit everything regardless?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Skypie posted:

Also I'm currently confused because the game is giving me a "vassal inheritance warning" and saying that someone's titles might pass from my realm upon death. Except...it's my oldest son, and I'm using primogeniture so isn't he going to inherit everything regardless?

Is he landed? He might be in line to inherit something in another realm from his mother, in that case if she dies first his lands he and his land will go to the other realm, but it should all come back when you die, if that makes sense? Of course if you die first it shouldn't be an issue.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

catlord posted:

Is he landed? He might be in line to inherit something in another realm from his mother, in that case if she dies first his lands he and his land will go to the other realm, but it should all come back when you die, if that makes sense? Of course if you die first it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, he's landed. I gave him a duchy so he'd quit bitching (and because I was gonna end up holding 3 otherwise and didn't want the huge penalty). Plus, he has a son already so there's an heir to the dynasty lined up already. I can't see if he'll get anything from his mother. she did have a claim to the county of Algeciras but that's gone to another of my sons. I could revoke it, I guess, but then he'll be super-pissed and everyone will be mad at me.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Yeah I think the game just gets jumpy if someone can inherit in your realm and out of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

I love landing family members, I like having the most prestigious family in the world, with numerous high level titles and all. I love to get a random distant cousin who is heir to nothing and make him a king, just because I can

Is trouble too, but I just like to see my dynasty grow in number and power

I always land my family because then no matter what happens my top level titles stay in the dynasty and once I hit empire level my worst slip backwards is to a kingdom. All else is stabbing.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Welp just wasted a ton of time vying for a claimant on a county in Wales only to discover that the win condition didnt include him being my vassal AND he refuses vassalization because we aren't the same religion and I'm not his liege. :negative:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Skypie posted:

Welp just wasted a ton of time vying for a claimant on a county in Wales only to discover that the win condition didnt include him being my vassal AND he refuses vassalization because we aren't the same religion and I'm not his liege. :negative:

Rule #3 of Crusader Kings - The "Plot To Kill" button solves all problems.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Skypie posted:

If he had any holding in your lands, like a spare castle or even a county, he would have remained your vassal. It's a painful lesson every one of us had to learn.

By the way, you can play as the king of Ireland and not create any additional duchies, or hold all duchies yourself. But you can't do that as the emperor of the HRE, for example, because you will go over your vassal limit and suffer various penalties until you've created enough duchies or even kingdoms and given them away to other people so that the number of direct vassals no longer goes over said limit.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Why can't I usurp this duchy? I own all the counties in it. When I click the duchy's shield, the option is replaced by Claim, Usurp isn't there.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Node posted:

Why can't I usurp this duchy? I own all the counties in it. When I click the duchy's shield, the option is replaced by Claim, Usurp isn't there.

Who's the duke? If you show us a screenshot of the duke and your character, we can tell you why you can't usurp the duchy.

The most likely explanation is that you cannot usurp the title if the duke and your character are part of the same realm, unless you have a strong claim. If you're both vassals of the king of England, you cannot usurp the duchy of Kent for example, even if you own all the counties in the duchy.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Oh crap, Vikings have gone HAM on the world. its just hit 900, and Britania, Mahgreb, Hispania, Scandanavian Empires are all under one norse emperor's rule. Good chunks of Russia and the Baltic empires as well. Carried mostly on my back from my levies and taxes for anything the Emperor does on his own. African as a religion is gone, and they converted Reformed Germanic into all sub Saharan Africa. Half of Italy is viking. Norse Portugal rules over the shattered remains of the umayyads, pushing across Libya to Benghazi. Im tempted to call in China on Midgard and myself for !!fun!! Francia is still a giant though, covering all but Saxony and Frisia. The Abbysids are another issue. I dont want the rolling holy wars a China Smash party would bring from the still strong Catholic Francia/Lombardy loving over the Norse.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Torrannor posted:

If he had any holding in your lands, like a spare castle or even a county, he would have remained your vassal. It's a painful lesson every one of us had to learn.

By the way, you can play as the king of Ireland and not create any additional duchies, or hold all duchies yourself. But you can't do that as the emperor of the HRE, for example, because you will go over your vassal limit and suffer various penalties until you've created enough duchies or even kingdoms and given them away to other people so that the number of direct vassals no longer goes over said limit.

Yeah I realized afterward that I'd never given him anything. Oops. So I'll probably murder him or something for being a huge jerk and then I'll find another claimant

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I finally became the Saoshyant, which was the main goal of my game. Not as cool as I though it would be (I dont know why but I though it would make me the zoroastrian religious head), but the bloodline you get is nice

But maybe Ill stick around to fight the mongols. Or try to invade China. Have anyone ever tried that? How does it works?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elias_Maluco posted:

I finally became the Saoshyant, which was the main goal of my game. Not as cool as I though it would be (I dont know why but I though it would make me the zoroastrian religious head), but the bloodline you get is nice

But maybe Ill stick around to fight the mongols. Or try to invade China. Have anyone ever tried that? How does it works?

I had a good game with Zoroastrians once. Sucked up to China a lot, got them to shatter the Byzantines and Abbassids, and picked off the wreckage.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, I used them to shatter the Arabian Empire too. Actually in this game they were shattered by China twice, the first time it wanst me. And after that first time a big Yemen managed to blob it back and created the Arabian Empire again in 100 years or so, almost as big was it were before

And then the Byz were shattered by a crusade, that new "4th crusade " event

Zoroastrian is fun, this was my first run with it. Marrying inside the family with no penalties is awesome. And its even more fun with elective. For ex. I just nominated my wife to be my heir (she is my cousin)

It was hard on the beginning and I woundlt have survived without becoming WP vassal, and then to break free it was drat hard. But after that I created an empire and I was big enough so the huge blobs around (Arabian Empire, Byz, Tibet) left me alone and everything became easy

But the Transaxonia start has a big advantage: its a very rich area. I had very good income since early game, which helps a lot

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 21, 2019

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Is it possible to downgrade myself back from a Kingdom to a Duchy without either some horrible breaking apart of my realm or by self-owning myself in a failed title-involving war of some kind? I'm Germanic Pagan and I want to have the Fylkirate as my primary title so I can build a custom Kingdom/Empire using it, but I got myself into a subjugation war to take holy sites and accidentally ended up usurping the Kingdom of Saxony and now I'm stuck with it.

I just really want my matriarchal horde of Shieldmaidens to be able to exact vengeance on Christendom under their true banner. :black101:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Do you have any vassal dukes? If you dont, nothing will break apart. If you do have, you will have to revoke them first, or they will become independent when you destroy the kingdom title

Apart from that, you will get an opinion penalty with any vassals from the Kingdom of Saxony dejure after you destroy the title, but thats about it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 21, 2019

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Will the vassals be pissed at me for holding two king titles? I'm one county away from being able to make the Kingdom of Wales but that means I'd be holding kingdom titles for Ireland and Wales.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Skypie posted:

Will the vassals be pissed at me for holding two king titles? I'm one county away from being able to make the Kingdom of Wales but that means I'd be holding kingdom titles for Ireland and Wales.

Nope, they only care about you having too many duchies

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The only time they'll care is if you're an emperor and they're a duke in one of your secondary kingdoms, iirc.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Oh, yes. In this case I think they will complain about wanting the title

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
alright yall, thought exercise here.

i am trying to set up a breakout game as the Count of Dax in 769. Ultimately he is a vassal of Karl. here are some facts.

- He's a 3-county Count whose de jure duke is incredibly easy to depose, and is also one of the only Basque rulers in the world at that start date. This is important because you can convert to Basque culture easily, then get depose your ruler and become Duke just as easily.

- He borders the Umayyads, who start the game with about 3k dudes. After solidifying his grip on his home duchy, Dax will probably have about 1k dudes (depending on his randomized stats at the beginning of the game).

- It is easy to get full alliances with Lombardy and Asturias, who have about 2-3k and 1k dudes apiece.

- His 51 year old uncle is the unmarried and childless duke of Aquataine. Dax is second in line for the ducal succession, after his 1-year-old grandson.

- His home duchy is small enough to go Full North Korea on and launder even the baron-level titles if need be. This can get him on the order of 1500 gold in the first 5 years of the game. This is not entirely desirable though because Dax starts out with young Cardinal in his territory who always has 20 learning. He makes an amazing Chaplain and physician so laundering him is painful.

There are two goals I have in mind:
- First and most importantly, to win an early (before 800/in Dax's first lifetime) holy war for Barcelona. The numbers work out if you can keep the sultan of Africa out of the conflict, which is simple enough if you deploy a good chancellor to him. Losing Barcelona early means that the Umayyads pretty much never recover and Dax's descendants will have a fairly reliable punching bag.

- Get the duchy of Aquataine. This means keeping your uncle childless and somehow getting rid of your 1-year-old grandson.

The first I have an okay idea on how to do if I go Full North Korea and just hire 4500 dudes to win me the war, but it would be great if I could avoid that for a big bag of reasons so if someone else has a better idea I'd love to hear it. It would be great if I could get Karl to help me out since he can very easily stomp the poo poo out of the Umayyads early on but I don't think there is a good way to get your liege into your Holy War.

The second one I am kind of stuck on. I know I can :ese: but kinslayer is a really serious problem and with two murders like that I feel like I am pretty much guaranteed to get caught. That's if I can even manage to pull them off to begin with, given that Dax's starting education and traits are random and therefore his Intrigue is likely to blow rear end. Marrying some chaste or gay 35 year old to my elderly uncle seems like a good way to keep him childless, but as he starts out unmarried pretty much the first thing he does is go get some 17 year old wife, so ideally there would be a way to deal with him directly. I have no idea what to do about the kid. If he was older I would just get him in my court and force him to take the vows, but as an infant he he doesn't reach majority until my uncle is 66 and pretty likely to just be dead.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 21, 2019

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I don't have any advice for you but I'm gonna try this start tonight I think. My goal this past weekend was to start at 769 as the count of Viscaya, form Navarra my way, and transfer to EUIV for the first time ever (first time playing to the end too). It's not going all that great thanks to the Ummayads and my inability to get alliances. I made it about 100 years before shutting it down. Dax (to Aquitaine) to Navarra sounds more tenable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's one of those starts that really looks like it could get big super fast if you can navigate the first lifetime correctly, but I haven't figured out how to really do it yet. do note that you don't want to take action against your uncle too quickly - you need to succeed the 'fabricate a claim on the duchy' plot to depose your Basque liege and your uncle is the only character who will always support you.

also tip: matrimarry your daughter to one of the leftover bavarian princes out of the gate to get the prestige you need to swap from occitan to basque. ideally this will also get you karling blood in one branch of your dynasty for later re-integration.

e: karl obviously will eventually be a problem but typically it's fairly simple to wait until he has a few sons and then stab him. he does a shitload of conquering early on and most people hate him, so if he has a couple boys to inherit the entire blob just goes all gavelkind.txt and an independence revolt becomes much easier. just...you know, make sure you get away from gavelkind so the same thing doesn't happen to you.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 21, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Not half bad:

Just launced a Great Holy War for the Horn of Africa. If that goes well I'll have access to every sea and be one closer to my long term goal of unifying the continent.

Meanwhile the HRE is insanely huge and I'm getting worried because I'll need to fight them sooner or later:

Abbasids are also big but are currently under the rule of a heretic while almost all the vassals are still sunni and I´ve managed to pretty easily fend off every one of their attacks for the last century or so.

The British isles are a mess:

religious situation:

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Is nomadic gameplay kinda lackluster or am I missing something? All the crazy-powerful CBs let me snowball right away as 769 Khazar. Maybe I picked too easy of a start.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eldred posted:

Is nomadic gameplay kinda lackluster or am I missing something? All the crazy-powerful CBs let me snowball right away as 769 Khazar. Maybe I picked too easy of a start.

Set the Mongols to come earlier. :murder:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
One thing that cracks me up is that vassals will be pissed about me holding too many duchies or my demesne being too big, but the council will veto all my decisions to offload them :v:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

"People being so pissed at you that they won't let you fix the things they're mad about" is probably the most accurate political mechanic I've ever seen in a game.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

My dude became HRE and immediately got excommunicated because the Pope wants a bunch of Italian lands that are in the empire. I tried to repent, but he demands that I transfer a bunch of Italian vassals to him. I don’t intend to keep my family as HRE long term, but it would be cool if I could not have my current guy be excommunicated. Is there anything I can do other than giving up the Italian vassals?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bold Robot posted:

My dude became HRE and immediately got excommunicated because the Pope wants a bunch of Italian lands that are in the empire. I tried to repent, but he demands that I transfer a bunch of Italian vassals to him. I don’t intend to keep my family as HRE long term, but it would be cool if I could not have my current guy be excommunicated. Is there anything I can do other than giving up the Italian vassals?

Make your own, cooler, Pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skypie posted:

One thing that cracks me up is that vassals will be pissed about me holding too many duchies or my demesne being too big, but the council will veto all my decisions to offload them :v:

My usual response to that is buying favors til I can force them to accept it, transfer the titles, then make them vote to remove their power to control it