Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

man this end sequence was pretty cool but a little over produced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

REDEMPTION BAYBEE!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Getting solo marooned Reem footage might be even better than if she stayed in the game...I accept this outcome

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Oh I see, when you get voted out they leave you on a deserted island to die

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"this is so lame" "hmmm" "nice"

She's like a videogame character

Ain't gonna lie, I am excited about stranded losers shacking up in a broken pirate ship

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
That ending felt like something out of LOST. I’m into it.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

clown shoes posted:

That ending felt like something out of LOST. I’m into it.

We're gonna have to take the idol.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the choice sign was cool

Survivor: Edge of Freakin Extinction

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Ain't gonna lie, I am excited about stranded losers shacking up in a broken pirate ship
I'm not willing to give up reward challenges but that does sound significantly more entertaining than the hideous Redemption Island arena challenges.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Missing out on a 2 hour premier so CBS can shove some lovely talent show that's not America's Got Talent to Survivor fans.

meeler09
May 24, 2007
That torch snuffer had me rolling

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

This twist is just a mechanism to keep Joe "Mt. Olympus" around from early vet boots.
Wentworth too.

David will snake his way through like he always does.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Yeah I'm not feeling this season.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hahaha yeah that lil dragon hand was p cute.

They should have a 2 hour version online for cbs access or some poo poo, i know they holdin back.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'm not willing to give up reward challenges but that does sound significantly more entertaining than the hideous Redemption Island arena challenges.

Oh man, I forgot how they shortchange us cool challenges to watch like ozzy play with himself for 6 episodes in a row. I hope they proceed as normal for as long as possible without them knowing about extinction island and it only comes up like a coupla times.

edit: This Worlds Best show is really fuckin weak, is this their first episode?? First up is like the most basic rear end magician??

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 21, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

David will snake his way through like he always does.

In the preseason, even the people who like him and know him personally were like "yeah, if these people are smart, they will vote him out right away." Apparently, they aren't that smart. :hmmyes:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Khanstant posted:

This Worlds Best show is really fuckin weak, is this their first episode?? First up is like the most basic rear end magician??
The first episode was just after the Superb Owl this year.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This was an OK first episode. Very boring vote. Good challenge.

I think its too early to make any kind of prediction. Nobody came out and seemed on top. Kelley got some screen time talking about alliances but I don't know it means anything; she's a returnee so she naturally will get featured more

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

blue squares posted:

Very boring vote.

luckily this season was designed so that votes 1000% don't matter!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

I'm watching David vs. Goliath and I just got to the tribal council with the two idols and John blindside. I'm loving this season. I might be the only one who likes Angelina.

Also, I instantly recognized Mike White from his role on Pushing Daisies before he was introduced. I didn't know he was a screenwriter. I'm rooting for him, Angelina, and Christian in the final three.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

clown shoes posted:

I'm watching David vs. Goliath and I just got to the tribal council with the two idols and John blindside. I'm loving this season. I might be the only one who likes Angelina.

Also, I instantly recognized Mike White from his role on Pushing Daisies before he was introduced. I didn't know he was a screenwriter. I'm rooting for him, Angelina, and Christian in the final three.

do you like angelina as a person genuinely, or as a character ironically?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

do you like angelina as a person genuinely, or as a character ironically?

As a character, somewhat ironically. She's more entertaining than annoying, which is a fine line to walk. I could see my opinion changing. Attraction is likely clouding my judgment.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

clown shoes posted:

As a character, somewhat ironically. She's more entertaining than annoying, which is a fine line to walk. I could see my opinion changing. Attraction is likely clouding my judgment.

ok just making sure!

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I can't tell if I liked the double-misdirect of showing everyone openly agreeing Reem would be the first boot moments before the vote to make us think they were really voting Wendy when they really were voting Reem the whole time. I probably would be more angry at it if I didn't like Wendy so much and was just relieved that she stayed.

Anyway the episode was completely fine if unspectacular. I liked that the returnees didn't dominate the screentime (like in 22 and 23), although I think the newbie cast is a little weak on the whole (especially compared to 37). Also chalk me up as someone that thought the ending was spooky and well-produced even though the twist itself is kind of dumb. I sort of feel bad for Reem because it's hard to imagine her winning her way back into the game and even if she does it's even harder to imagine her winning, and yet if she quits she comes across as the weak older lady she hated being perceived as. She's sort of forced into ~30 days of very hard and incredibly boring suffering just to save face. Hope she proves me wrong and either leaves and enjoys her paid vacation or wins her way back in and kicks rear end though!

ETA: I re-read my own post and am worried that it sounds like *I* think Reem needs to stay on Edge of Extinction to save face. I don't think that at all, I just worry that Reem (and most other players that go to Edge of Freakin Extinction) will think that. It's a weird lose/lose situation where you can easily talk yourself into thinking you have no chance of winning but also it would be too embarrassing to admit defeat.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 21, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think you'll like her more as she goes on. I actually hated her at first but her antics at some point pushed me into liking her.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What have you seen the season already? This post makes it sound as though you have. If so please don't post stuff like this.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

blue squares posted:

What have you seen the season already? This post makes it sound as though you have. If so please don't post stuff like this.

I think Khanstant was referring to my comment about Angelina from the previous season. It's my fault, I shouldn't clutter this thread with stuff from a previous season.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

clown shoes posted:

I think Khanstant was referring to my comment about Angelina from the previous season. It's my fault, I shouldn't clutter this thread with stuff from a previous season.

Lol that makes more sense!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's why quoting people is so important...

I didn't quote anybody and now you don't know who I'm replying too :smug:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I don't think I've seen anybody flame out that spectacularly in one tribal since the "Are you gay" guy from Nicaragua

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You're forgetting Jennifer Lanzetti from Kaoh Rong.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Zesty posted:

You're forgetting Jennifer Lanzetti from Kaoh Rong.

I will give you credit in that I did think of her, but that was her second tribal council.

e: she had the worst overall experience of any Survivor contestant I can think of, though. Get a bug stuck in your ear, then leave the game making everyone think it laid eggs there.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Leaving 'learn to swim' until you're actually in the game is a weird choice.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Speaking of which

Robnoxious posted:

Pete continuing the stereotype about not knowing how to swim.

This is a real lovely thing to say.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
God damnit Jeff didn't advantageddeon reach the pinnacle of this madness already!?

This means Season 39 or 40 will be "Survivor: Island of Scavenger Hunt"

"Idols! People are always suggesting we do a season without them; I’m going the other way. I think we need to do a season that features them even more!"  - Jeff Probst

Sauce:
https://ew.com/tv/2019/02/21/survivor-jeff-probst-edge-of-extinction-premiere/

Nexal fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 21, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jumble of thoughts from the premiere:

-Man, too many people, not enough screentime. Every premiere has this issue, but at least they didn't fill 45 minutes with nothing but the returness.
-Chris had a lot of challenge focus but was otherwise invisible. Not good considering his tribe went to tribal.
-David is doing the best of the returnees. Wentworth and Aubry the worst.
-I'm not even sure who to root for yet. I like Wentworth but I really don't think she's gonna last that long unless she gets swap blessed, she's got way too much attention on her. I like Chris but he has the opposite problem where we saw nothing to go off on. Wendy's adorable but oh man she's gonna have trouble. I guess David for now?
-I'm already putting Wardog as poison.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I want to know what production rules are in place for Ex Island. Like, can Reem gently caress off into the woods and emerge every night to covertly extinguish other Ex Island players fires to make them miserable while they think she just opted to quit? That kind of makes me want a season where Russell just fucks with the tribe, and he gets a million dollars if he never gets caught.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

resident posted:

I want to know what production rules are in place for Ex Island. Like, can Reem gently caress off into the woods and emerge every night to covertly extinguish other Ex Island players fires to make them miserable while they think she just opted to quit? That kind of makes me want a season where Russell just fucks with the tribe, and he gets a million dollars if he never gets caught.

That’s how Ex Island works. You have to keep your new torch lit. If it ever gets snuffed again you’re eliminated for reals. Your goal is to snuff the other players torches. Anyone who’s torch remains unsnuffed gets back in.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Jumble of thoughts from the premiere:

-Man, too many people, not enough screentime. Every premiere has this issue, but at least they didn't fill 45 minutes with nothing but the returness.
-Chris had a lot of challenge focus but was otherwise invisible. Not good considering his tribe went to tribal.
-David is doing the best of the returnees. Wentworth and Aubry the worst.
-I'm not even sure who to root for yet. I like Wentworth but I really don't think she's gonna last that long unless she gets swap blessed, she's got way too much attention on her. I like Chris but he has the opposite problem where we saw nothing to go off on. Wendy's adorable but oh man she's gonna have trouble. I guess David for now?
-I'm already putting Wardog as poison.

Yeah, really hard to get a read on most people at this point. Rick seems like he might be cool, and Ron seems like he might be really annoying, but we'll see.

I came in judging the twist pretty hard, but at least the way they shot that final scene was actually cool. I'm still skeptical, though. Maybe they can get some novelty mileage out of not telling the castaways about the gimmick until somebody comes back into the game.

The main problem with the RI shtick is that its too tempting to coalesce around voting out the players who come back into the game. I don't know how you protect against that. Maybe let more than one person back in at the same time? Or bring somebody back during one of the pre-merge tribeswaps when alliances aren't as clear?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well Extinction Island may end up sucking but at least produced a really cool ending for the premiere.

Keith attends Duke and thus is a monster. Watch out for him.

I hate Wardog on pure principle but I kind of hope the editors just ignore him and totally no play it as a subtle dig.

Not many of the new players stood out, but that's probably to be expected from a premiere with a bunch of returnees. They didn't get too much coverage, its just that it takes awhile for me to figure out who people are so right now i got the 4 vets, pushy mom, tourettes, Duke monster, smarmy news anchor, Wardog, cute lady who loves the vets, and "we're just gonna try and force another Nick". That's not too bad for 1 episode.

Spergatory posted:

Apparently there was a great moment on the boat that didn't make the show.

Wardog introduced himself as "The Wardog."

Rick gets called on next to identify himself, and says "this is awkward, but my name is also 'The Wardog.'"

I don't know who Rick is but he's now my favorite.

I'm guessing its the smarmy anchor guy who is either going to be a massive fan favorite or piss everyone off real soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

OK last post about last season... David vs. Goliath a great season with a good winner and some memorable players who would be great to see return one day. After binging like 10 of the best seasons last year (recommended by goons in a previous thread) I needed something to get the bad taste left by Game Changers and Ghost Island out of my mouth. I guess I'm a viewer of the show again since I'm watching this season but it is fascinating how easily a bad season of Survivor can turn you off so quickly. I originally quit watching back in 2002 following Survivor: Thailand.