Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

I was off a year, it was '78 when they limited DB contact to one chuck within 5 yards of the LOS. They also extended pass blocking rules to allow arms and open hands, which...poo poo imagine trying to block someone with your arms not available or your hands clinched into fists. '77 did outlaw head slaps (the Deacon Jones rule).

Anyway I think it's kinda generally accepted that's probably the biggest rule change that created modern football. Other things since then have made it easier to pass the ball but that seems to have had the biggest effect.

I guess that kinda coincides with Dan Fouts and Don Coryell basically dominating offensive football for the next 5 or 6 years so that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

That was after the rule changes. Neil Lomax threw for 4600 yards at a 62% rate that year. And if your first question is 'who was Neil Lomax' that kinda proves the point.

Marino's year was amazing of course, we just can't compare that directly to Bradshaw or whoever before the 1977 rule changes.

With 28 TDs and a ridiculous number of attempts

Edit holy poo poo so did Marino lol still though 20 more TDs is a tiny bit

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Grittybeard posted:

I was off a year, it was '78 when they limited DB contact to one chuck within 5 yards of the LOS. They also extended pass blocking rules to allow arms and open hands, which...poo poo imagine trying to block someone with your arms not available or your hands clinched into fists. '77 did outlaw head slaps (the Deacon Jones rule).

Anyway I think it's kinda generally accepted that's probably the biggest rule change that created modern football. Other things since then have made it easier to pass the ball but that seems to have had the biggest effect.

I'll be goddamned if I can find it now in Google but I think Madden in one of his first books showed the solution to Deacon Jones' rear end. Art Shell put a roofing nail through his helmet, right in front of the earhole, so that about an inch of sharp end was protruding out. The first time Deacon headslapped him, he impaled himself.

welp- nevermind, that was Bob Brown:

http://www.blackreign.net/raidernation/index.php?threads/the-life-of-a-raider.189/

quote:

Despite All-Pro play, Bob Brown wore out his welcome in Philadelphia by arguing with coaches and in Los Angeles in a contract dispute. In LA, Brown found a unique way to discourage teammate Deacon Jones from headslapping him in practice. He replaced the short screw that held helmet padding in place with a long sharp screw. When Jones headslapped him, he impaled his own hand.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 21, 2019

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

I guess that kinda coincides with Dan Fouts and Don Coryell basically dominating offensive football for the next 5 or 6 years so that makes sense

How did they never manage to make a Super Bowl? Really bad defenses? I kinda missed out on the Chargers because my old Super Bowl VHS tape I grew up watching over and over again didn't mention them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

With 28 TDs and a ridiculous number of attempts

Edit holy poo poo so did Marino lol still though 20 more TDs is a tiny bit

I do wonder if there was something about 1984, since it seems a lot of teams decided to start throwing the ball all over the place that year. The only thing I can come up with was 1982 was a strike season and maybe there was a conspiracy to make the game more fun?

It's worth noting that 560 attempts for Lomax that year is well below Matthew Stafford's career average in seasons he played 16 games and that Stafford once attempted 727 passes in a season.

GD_American posted:

This is awesome, both since it's a perfect way to stop the head slap and because Deacon Jones was trying to kill his teammates in practice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

They should release a Madden game where you can roll back the rule book to previous eras.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Finger Prince posted:

They should release a Madden game where you can roll back the rule book to previous eras.

Always turn off every roughing penalty

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

wandler20 posted:

How did they never manage to make a Super Bowl? Really bad defenses? I kinda missed out on the Chargers because my old Super Bowl VHS tape I grew up watching over and over again didn't mention them.

Really bad defenses.

1979 they got blown out at home by an Oilers team without Earl Campbell
1980 they lost the AFCCG at home against the Raiders
1981 they lost the AFCCG at Cincinnati in -59 degree weather. Going from the Epic in Miami to the Freezer Bowl was yikes.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

Really bad defenses.

1981 they lost the AFCCG at Cincinnati in -59 degree weather. Going from the Epic in Miami to the Freezer Bowl was yikes.

drat. I didn't realize they went 3 years in a row.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Is Kevin Colbert being willfully obtuse? Obviously Ben should feel free to talk and be critical in private but airing poo poo out in public seems idiotic and ended up alienating the best WR in Steelers history. I can't think of another QB publicly calling out their best WR for no reason.

Always happy to a dumbass shooting himself in the foot though. Plus the Steelers wasting the Killer B's and then hitching their wagon to Roethlisberger and leaving themselves stuck behind everyone else in their division in a few years is gonna be pretty funny to watch.

Adun fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 21, 2019

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think it's entirely appropriate that the blue collarest of teams intentionally fosters the most repulsive labor against labor atmosphere in the league. Just can't shake that union busting heritage.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Really bad defenses.

They lost to the Oilers by 3 because Fouts threw 5 picks and the defense couldn't stop jumping offside, including on an FG attempt the Oilers then proceeded to cash a TD in on.

Anyway, it also can't be understated that their owner before Spanos also hosed the team over hard. Gene Klein didn't want to pay John Jefferson and Fred Dean anything when they wanted new deals, so he traded both of them to the Packers and Niners respectively. Jefferson's career never really recovered (and they had to blow a first rounder to get Wes Chandler off the Saints); Dean ended up helping the Niners win the SB that year and in '84. Then he sold the team to Alex Spanos anyway. What an rear end in a top hat.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

GD_American posted:

I'll be goddamned if I can find it now in Google but I think Madden in one of his first books showed the solution to Deacon Jones' rear end. Art Shell put a roofing nail through his helmet, right in front of the earhole, so that about an inch of sharp end was protruding out. The first time Deacon headslapped him, he impaled himself.

http://www.blackreign.net/raidernation/index.php?threads/the-life-of-a-raider.189/

Good. I really dislike Jones. Always blathering on about how awesome and tough he was while he slapped some poor dude in the ear hole. I can only imagine how many mini concussions the guy is responsible for.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Going for the Mike Tolbert eating plan I see.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Good. I really dislike Jones. Always blathering on about how awesome and tough he was while he slapped some poor dude in the ear hole. I can only imagine how many mini concussions the guy is responsible for.

Yeah. I always thought Merlin Olsen was the bigger badass on that line. Deacon was as much a master of self-promotion than anything.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Adun posted:

alienating the best WR in Steelers history

"Well if he's so good where are his rings??" - Kevin Colbert

edit: wow didn't even notice this part initially:

Kevin Colbert posted:

"I honestly believe that that can be a burden on him more often than he may like to admit, because he has to ... he's got 52 kids under him quite honestly,"

gently caress Colbert

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 21, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Any decent QB is a franchise linchpin, but you don't need to be such an obvious toady about it lmao

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a neat cape posted:

*googles Freezer Bowl* jesus christ you weren't exaggerating, it was literally -59 (windchill) :stare:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Derek Lokey is finishing up his executive MBA at Southern Methodist U this spring. I’m proud as hell

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Derek Lokey is finishing up his executive MBA at Southern Methodist U this spring. I’m proud as hell

What happened to his job at the Flippen Group?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
He is still doing great work as a Client Executive at the Flippen Group. I suppose he felt a bit of a glass ceiling without an MBA and chose to get one part time while continuing his burgeoning career

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Hell yeah

How weird it would be if you ever found out that a dead comedy forum on the internet monitored your post football career for reasons

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Hell yeah

How weird it would be if you ever found out that a dead comedy forum on the internet monitored your post football career for reasons

I feel like we should send him a birthday card or edible arrangement.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
You guys posted his picture of every first post for years.

He’s winning.

Life is good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Goatse guy is like Charlie Sheen then

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I feel like we should send him a birthday card or edible arrangement.
I think any arrangement would be edible, in this case.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The only way that MBA could be any more worthless is if it were online

But then again he just needs to check off the box. He’s an nfl player - his network is any room full of guys

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
say that to his round stoic face

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’d never discourage him to his face. He looks like he has a soft gentle soul

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Reminds me more of Steven Avery.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
His face is that of a chipmunk gathering for winter.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Zerilan posted:

"Well if he's so good where are his rings??" - Kevin Colbert

edit: wow didn't even notice this part initially:

gently caress Colbert

lol did he really call every player other than Roethlisberger a kid

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grittybeard posted:

My dad played college football in the early 70s, and according to him one of his primary pass rushing moves was a vicious slap to the helmet's earhole right as the ball was snapped. It would turn the O lineman's head at the least but could also cause confusion (microconcussions I'm guessing), slow down blocking and ruin the timing on plays. The real crazy thing though is that he said that if you did it right (very fast and firm, creating a seal on the helmet hole) you could even damage the ear drum. That seems pretty farfetched to me but who knows

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

My dad played college football in the early 70s, and according to him one of his primary pass rushing moves was a vicious slap to the helmet's earhole right as the ball was snapped. It would turn the O lineman's head at the least but could also cause confusion (microconcussions I'm guessing), slow down blocking and ruin the timing on plays. The real crazy thing though is that he said that if you did it right (very fast and firm, creating a seal on the helmet hole) you could even damage the ear drum. That seems pretty farfetched to me but who knows

That was deacon jones' go to move.

An offensive lineman talked about getting revenge on him once by pounding a long nail through the side of his helmet and gashing Deacon's hand open.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

The only way that MBA could be any more worthless is if it were online

The executive part, or the SMU part?

Kalli posted:

An offensive lineman talked about getting revenge on him once by pounding a long nail through the side of his helmet and gashing Deacon's hand open.

top of the page, my man

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Executive. They’re useless. Every one we’ve had has been all fluff.

Finance. Now those fuckers churn hours.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

lmao imagine hitching your wagons to known rapist and loving terrible in the superbowl playing wall of ugly fat meat over once in a life time players

just lmao

gently caress the steelers im glad of it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Play posted:

It's not farfetched, on top of the concussion thing he's boxing their ears and that can absolutely rupture eardrums

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Zyla posted:

lmao imagine hitching your wagons to known rapist and loving terrible in the superbowl playing wall of ugly fat meat over once in a life time players

just lmao

gently caress the steelers im glad of it

SB rings of Bell and AB combined 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kalli posted:

According to this book I just found on google called "Inside the Meat Grinder: An NFL Official's Life in the Trenches", the broken ear drum thing is true. That move caused both stress on the ear drum which led to a constant ringing in the ears (tinnitus) or it legit straight up popped the ear drum.

I don't see any citations though. Still sounds like way too much of an urban legend for my taste. In fact, I may have tracked the origin of that story back to a Hunter S Thompson piece, which makes me think it's almost definitely bullshit. A fun embellishment on the truth from a guy who wasn't afraid of embellishments, to say the least

Phobeste posted:

It's not farfetched, on top of the concussion thing he's boxing their ears and that can absolutely rupture eardrums

The farfetched part to me is the idea that a helmet would make a perfect enough seal to hold all the air in as it gets forced into the ear. Not to mention that with a helmet on there's a lot more space you have to pressurize with forced air before the ear drum is affected. But I suppose it could, depending on how the helmet was designed.

Play fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 22, 2019