Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'm curious as to which one you're thinking of now since it sounds like my scene as well, anything else you remember about it?

I think I was thinking of 7th Sea. Still has combat but social things were more developed than the D&D-adjacent stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

AFAIK Luke Crane of Burning Wheel/Mouse Guard fame has a reputation of being a bit of an rear end in a top hat but not like, a sex pest or stalker or anything.

I like Burning Wheel.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Greg Stafford's games like Pendragon and Runequest (RIP him)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

Greg Stafford's games like Pendragon and Runequest (RIP him)

Yeah, plus Glorantha's had a bit of a revival lately with various publications.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Control Volume posted:

Anyone have a good RPG system that isnt made by rapists/rape apologists

I made a post with some fantasy games a few pages back in the thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849301&pagenumber=199&perpage=40#post492676418

At the time, people had already talked up Shadow of the Demon Lord so I didn't include it in the list, but that's also a good fantasy game. It's D&D heavily seasoned with Warhammer Fantasy grittiness, though. It does have some weird bits focused on gross-out humor, and I think there are some questionable spells and stuff in the optional rules supplements if you dig deep enough, but Robert Schwalb sounds like a decent guy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Would someone be willing to PM me a summary of what's been happening with Zak S over the last few months(?) as well as some of the other names mentioned over the last few pages? Raggi, Holden, Shearer, Morke at the least because I haven't been involved with tabletop gaming as a hobby other than very casually for more than five years now. I would appreciate some help putting some of the recent discussion in context. I get that the hobby is having a Me Too moment but I don't know any of the specific people involved anymore. Thanks in advance.

Holden Shearer is his name, people just use them interchangeably in conversation since Holden is fairly unique compared to James Raggi and John Morke.

Zak S is a huge long story that I'll summarize. He's a serial sexual harasser and Rapist who created this image of being a sex positive avant-garde artist. Accusations against him got shot down by his circles of friends who could not believe he did any wrong. And he kept getting hired by companies, who were then informed of his disgusting nature, and who then either dismissed the claims (at best), actively said the claims were false(at worst), or sent the e-mails they received in confidence on to Zak so Zak could go on to harass these people more (the incredibly dumb and stupid thing that mike mearls did).

A few weeks ago Zak's ex-wife came out with a facebook post about how he abused her, gaslit her, bodyshamed her, etc. Other women came forth including their live in girlfriend with similar claims. This time around people believed them and the companies that have supported Zak in the past have basically been disavowing him, but very few have actually apologized.

Zak on the other hand is trying to play the victim card and say that his accusers are the real abusers.

Matt McFarland was lead designer on a game that was at the very least rape/abuse adjacent and portrayed victims as people who deserved it unless they too grew into superpowered fear-beasts. Then accusations came out against him (for raping an underage girl several years ago that he did not deny) right around the time as the supplement came out that included a playable splat of misunderstood heroic rapists.

He was quit/fired from Onyx Path, and got removed as a moderator from RPG.net after he sort of tacitly acknowledged that he may have done the things he was accused of. Though he continued to develop games independently with his wife. Then a few weeks ago another accuser came out that stated that no only had he sexually harassed some other women and raped another, he was doing this as recently as 2015. And his wife was covering for him and using her position as chair of the Indie Dev consortium that they were members of to quash any investigation into the accusations.

After all of this last week they released a statement to the effect of "There's some hyperbole but I did most of those things so we're shutting down our company and disappearing forever." Thankfully there haven't been many/any people out on the internet defending him.

Those are the ones I know enough about to speak on.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Holden Shearer is his name, people just use them interchangeably in conversation since Holden is fairly unique compared to James Raggi and John Morke.

Zak S is a huge long story that I'll summarize. He's a serial sexual harasser and Rapist who created this image of being a sex positive avant-garde artist. Accusations against him got shot down by his circles of friends who could not believe he did any wrong. And he kept getting hired by companies, who were then informed of his disgusting nature, and who then either dismissed the claims (at best), actively said the claims were false(at worst), or sent the e-mails they received in confidence on to Zak so Zak could go on to harass these people more (the incredibly dumb and stupid thing that mike mearls did).

A few weeks ago Zak's ex-wife came out with a facebook post about how he abused her, gaslit her, bodyshamed her, etc. Other women came forth including their live in girlfriend with similar claims. This time around people believed them and the companies that have supported Zak in the past have basically been disavowing him, but very few have actually apologized.

Zak on the other hand is trying to play the victim card and say that his accusers are the real abusers.

Matt McFarland was lead designer on a game that was at the very least rape/abuse adjacent and portrayed victims as people who deserved it unless they too grew into superpowered fear-beasts. Then accusations came out against him (for raping an underage girl several years ago that he did not deny) right around the time as the supplement came out that included a playable splat of misunderstood heroic rapists.

He was quit/fired from Onyx Path, and got removed as a moderator from RPG.net after he sort of tacitly acknowledged that he may have done the things he was accused of. Though he continued to develop games independently with his wife. Then a few weeks ago another accuser came out that stated that no only had he sexually harassed some other women and raped another, he was doing this as recently as 2015. And his wife was covering for him and using her position as chair of the Indie Dev consortium that they were members of to quash any investigation into the accusations.

After all of this last week they released a statement to the effect of "There's some hyperbole but I did most of those things so we're shutting down our company and disappearing forever." Thankfully there haven't been many/any people out on the internet defending him.

Those are the ones I know enough about to speak on.
Thank you

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Control Volume posted:

I don't think FFG has had any poo poo like that coming out their doors? I don't know if thats because they just keep poo poo locked up tight there.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Control Volume posted:

Greg Stolze

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3306874

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Rpgpundit is basically the Rpg version of that infamous #$Ģ/Stomper58 poster. A gimmick poster who started believing their own bullshit and gave themselves brain damage. (Online Rpg talk does this already so it takes real talent to become that much of a nut bag douche.) You used to be able to tell him he was full of poo poo on his own blog and forum and not get blocked or banned but that was years ago so things might have changed.

And Tunnels & Trolls is drat solid fun Elfgame RPGing. They even have a cheap and fun intro set now https://deluxetunnelsandtrolls.wordpress.com/2018/03/09/tt-adventures-japan-is-released-get-it-now/

Plus their Deluxe ed Kickstarter wasn't a shitshow and apparently their next one for an adventure module wasn't either. It's also still got lots of Liz Danforth art and editing in Deluxe plus their reprints of older material have edited or taken out iffy material almost like people can learn and grow. They had a scam artist doing materials for them a few years back but they called him out, denounced his art stealing, and apparently he died though some say Shipman still haunts under a new name Ooga booga.

Plus Tunnels and Trolls is more or less every classic jrpg game system ever hence why its popular in Japan. Or is it all the solo modules?.....

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Everybody always says that Pundit started out as someone who was just performing some self-aware shtick and gradually fell down the rabbit hole but there's no evidence that he was ever anything other than what he appears to be, a dumb delusional rear end in a top hat who just happened to plant his flag on the hill of being mad about elfgames.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Rufus posted:

Plus Tunnels and Trolls is more or less every classic jrpg game system ever hence why its popular in Japan. Or is it all the solo modules?.....

Group SNE, the company behind the Record of Lodoss War replays and Sword World RPG, made a lot of original content for T&T in Japan. You can even buy some of their translated content now!

https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Japan-Ken-St-Andre/dp/0940244926

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
T&T only uses D6s, and it's (apparently) very hard to get your hands on non-D6 dice in Japan, so that might explain its success there.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wait Zak S had sexual harassment/rape accusations against him before this? I knew he was well known for bog standard harassment but I never saw anything about the rape stuff back in the day

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Control Volume posted:

Wait Zak S had sexual harassment/rape accusations against him before this? I knew he was well known for bog standard harassment but I never saw anything about the rape stuff back in the day

That I'm aware of no, it's possible that someone suggested this about him but there wasn't to the best of my knowledge a substantial amount of proof you could point someone at. Most of his poo poo up until now has been brigading, doxxing, harassing people, impersonating other people behind sockpuppet accounts, and being an unimaginably tedious rear end in a top hat about everything, while accusing his detractors of being mentally ill, TERFs/SWERFs, or prudes. I can only speak for myself when I say that while I've known for a decade now that Zak S is a thoroughly toxic human being, that toxicity hadn't included "also he's a rapist and responsible for numerous abusive relationships." Of course I'm not as plugged into the backstage of the hobby as a lot of people are so it's entirely possible that accusations had been made previously among people more in the know, but Mandy's statement is the first time I've seen someone come out and say that Zak is an abuser and rapist.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Everybody always says that Pundit started out as someone who was just performing some self-aware shtick and gradually fell down the rabbit hole but there's no evidence that he was ever anything other than what he appears to be, a dumb delusional rear end in a top hat who just happened to plant his flag on the hill of being mad about elfgames.

That's because someone initial reaction on encountering an incredibly weird/dumb person like Pundit for the first time is to write it off as someone just doing a bit because nobody wants to believe a guy like that is for real. Later when it turns out that he unquestionably is for real, all people remember is their own sequence of reactions, which was "he's clearly just performing" then "oh poo poo he's really for real". It's obvious because everyone has a different point at which they think the weirdo fell down their own rabbit hole.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For what it's worth, I don't think Pundit was putting on an act - he always was this right-wing, it's just that being right-wing, and in the broader context of Western politics, has meant gradually radicalizing yourself more and more.

Like, there's a through line from William F Buckley to Trump, and going from someone who just didn't like "storygamer swine" into gamergate and whining about SJWs and constantly inserting one's far-right politics explicitly into their discourse, is par for the course.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

That's because someone initial reaction on encountering an incredibly weird/dumb person like Pundit for the first time is to write it off as someone just doing a bit because nobody wants to believe a guy like that is for real. Later when it turns out that he unquestionably is for real, all people remember is their own sequence of reactions, which was "he's clearly just performing" then "oh poo poo he's really for real". It's obvious because everyone has a different point at which they think the weirdo fell down their own rabbit hole.

I mean I'll admit I was a little surprised when the guy who got banned from RPGnet for yelling about Blue Rose and the World of Darkness went on to position himself as the pipe-smoking proto alt-right Champion of True D&D that he pivoted towards, but he did get banned for a reason and that reason is he's too much of an rear end in a top hat to have a conversation about games without being insufferable in the extreme.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I mean I'll admit I was a little surprised when the guy who got banned from RPGnet for yelling about Blue Rose and the World of Darkness went on to position himself as the pipe-smoking proto alt-right Champion of True D&D that he pivoted towards, but he did get banned for a reason and that reason is he's too much of an rear end in a top hat to have a conversation about games without being insufferable in the extreme.

I could easily be wrong because I never followed him all that closely, but I remember his objections to Blue Rose being exactly what you'd expect of the "pipe-smoking proto alt-right Champion of True D&D". It didn't look like a pivot so much as the same guy unmoderated.

VVV yes, that. I definitely misread what I quoted.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 21, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I could easily be wrong because I never followed him all that closely, but I remember his objections to Blue Rose being exactly what you'd expect of the "pipe-smoking proto alt-right Champion of True D&D". It didn't look like a pivot so much as the same guy unmoderated.

I guess I should say I was surprised he gained as much traction as he did instead of falling into the memory hole like most other people who get banned from a forum, but I suppose if he hadn't managed it someone else would have. It probably helped that when he took stewardship of the RPGsite that he basically turned it into The Banned From RPGnet Evil Ex-Boyfriends Club where everyone could get together and bitch about how unfair it was that they'd been probated for being unable to talk about D&D without constantly trying to drag things into another iteration of "this game isn't a real RPG and in my 2,000 word essay I will explain why you're a dumb idiot baby for liking it."

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Another more specific and direct account of Morke, the guy Holden has been carrying water for.

https://twitter.com/RuffleJax/status/1098445311972986882?s=19

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sidestep posted:

Another more specific and direct account of Morke, the guy Holden has been carrying water for.

https://twitter.com/RuffleJax/status/1098445311972986882?s=19

And already someone has replied questioning her story in favor of Holden's version of events.

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Kurieg posted:

And already someone has replied questioning her story in favor of Holden's version of events.

From a very suspicious account that registered in the past couple of days. They got blasted off of Jaym's twitter a couple of hours ago for the same dumb, "just asking questions" routine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Control Volume posted:

I think I was thinking of 7th Sea. Still has combat but social things were more developed than the D&D-adjacent stuff

7th Sea 2e's social combat is more developed because its combat system (along with a few others) were released half-baked at best and never corrected because Wick is too buried in kickstarter projects to revise.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

7th Sea 2e's social combat is more developed because its combat system (along with a few others) were released half-baked at best and never corrected because Wick is too buried in kickstarter projects to revise.
Has 7th Sea gotten a Fantasy Flight remake like L5R? I remember Winston raving about it years ago but I've never had the chance to play it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

FactsAreUseless posted:

Has 7th Sea gotten a Fantasy Flight remake like L5R? I remember Winston raving about it years ago but I've never had the chance to play it.

It got a second edition which was a decent improvement but they hosed up the Kickstarter with too much free stuff and the line collapsed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Wrestlepig posted:

It got a second edition which was a decent improvement but they hosed up the Kickstarter with too much free stuff and the line collapsed.

Also depending on who you talk to it's still apparently something of a mechanical mess. It was a great deal if you wanted a bunch of 1st edition pdfs for unsustainably cheap though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Also depending on who you talk to it's still apparently something of a mechanical mess. It was a great deal if you wanted a bunch of 1st edition pdfs for unsustainably cheap though.

To be specific, it shipped without the systems for ship design or ship to ship combat in an Age of Sail swashbuckling game. From what I understand, up until briefly before printing (which was rushed to have physical copies for GenCon), Dueling and the regular combat system were separate systems entirely. They were combined for the final print version, which left a situation where duelists have an entirely different action economy from non-duelists, and the only way to deal with them is to bring several pistols because they both do exponentially more damage and have damage mitigation that no other combatant has.

Pistols are also a problem, because they do straight up Dramatic Wounds, which nothing else can do in a single shot, so 'a couple guys with a brace of pistols each' wins every fight against a Villain.

So far as I am aware (as a backer of the KS), this has never received errata.

In short, cool world design if you're okay with the fantasy racism, but the mechanics needed another six months in the oven.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 21, 2019

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
And when I ran a campaign of it I just banned duelists...Which is craziness in a swashbuckling game.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The worst part is that even duelist vs duelist, by RAW it is just rocket tag. The Lunge maneuver insists that its damage cannot be prevented or avoided. Which means no Parry or Riposte... maneuvers that entire Schools are built around.
So the person that wins initiative generally wins the duel.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kai Tave posted:

Also depending on who you talk to it's still apparently something of a mechanical mess.

I'm one of those guys, I'm just trying to be polite

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Adept Nightingale posted:

I just know a number of victims who have spoken up for him because he spoke up for them, and I don't think positive acts become negative acts just because the person associated has made (serious, admittedly) mistakes.

"Has made" is past tense, try "continues to make" - Holden is still shilling Morke's patreon.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well its a good thing I never spent much time looking into that system beyond basic research lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

$40 for an entire new line of games was not, in fact, as sustainable as initially thought. That's what you do for the Bundle of Holding years down the line, not the Kickstarter.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Did anyone ever houserule/hack 7th Sea 2e into something resembling a working system, in the end?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Control Volume posted:

Well its a good thing I never spent much time looking into that system beyond basic research lol

If you want a good swashbuckling system, Honor + Intrigue is fun and straightforward. It includes optional magic rules, too, because the writer knows people will want to adapt the rules to 7th Sea's setting.

Editing this post because everyone deserves a good MR*H laugh in these dark times

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 21, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Polygon now has an article out on D&D's response to the current moment: https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/20/18232181/dungeons-dragons-zak-smith-sabbath-abuse-accusations-players-handbook

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

If you want a good swashbuckling system, Honor + Intrigue is fun and straightforward. It includes optional magic rules, too, because the writer knows people will want to adapt the rules to 7th Sea's setting.

Editing this post because everyone deserves a good MR*H laugh in these dark times

Wait, who seriously thought that vampires were actually real?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

hangedman1984 posted:

Wait, who seriously thought that vampires were actually real?

People in MRH's brain, people who talk to him at night and tell him what a brave boy he is and how he's the one true saviour of gaming.

Also Fangknight...holy gently caress is he dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I absolutely knew people around 1999-2002 who believed in basically every kind of supernatural weirdness. I had weird friends.

E: Hell, Anne Rice used to get letters from people who thought her works were nonfiction.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 21, 2019