Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Schadenboner posted:

I think Sharepoint is like mumps: the later in life you catch it the worse it goes for you?

:shrug:

yeah, and also the disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
also it makes your balls humongous

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

SharePoint is the dwarf fortress of Microsoft products. Different everytime, infinite in every direction, and yet somehow similarly awful in unpredictable and familiar ways everywhere

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also did msft suddenly stop supporting SIP and RTSP? if not then what's the porblem?

edit: or did they drop TLS-DSK and if so who implemented that other than them lol maniacs!

USB Lync phone is not a SIP phone afaik it just hooks the client and is an audio device.

And MS supports SIP, just not standards based variants of all the parts of a call unfortunately. No RTSP that’s something else thankfully.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Partycat posted:

USB Lync phone is not a SIP phone afaik it just hooks the client and is an audio device.

And MS supports SIP, just not standards based variants of all the parts of a call unfortunately. No RTSP that’s something else thankfully.
Lol, this thing is literally just one of those usb skype phones from 15 years ago.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

mystes posted:

Lol, this thing is literally just one of those usb skype phones from 15 years ago.
Apparently there's a catch:
https://twitter.com/ilyabu/status/1096080039056011264

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nanpa posted:

Wait so is the switch not incredibly successful? I thought it was going to bomb as the pointless island between a Gameboy and a console, but it seems like everyone is getting one, albeit for like one game out of three

i absolutely love my switch and it would still have been worth it if it was just a dedicated breath of the wild player but really all of the first party games have been great. ofc ive never used it portable and only with a pro controller so i might not be the best bellwether

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
shartpoint

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Thank you to whoever coined sharepoint as "a document graveyard"

That's the description I'm using in all our internal meetings now about finding an alternative.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

El Mero Mero posted:

SharePoint is the dwarf fortress of Microsoft products. Different everytime, infinite in every direction, and yet somehow similarly awful in unpredictable and familiar ways everywhere

But some people actually like Dorf Fortress?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

r u ready to WALK posted:

Thank you to whoever coined sharepoint as "a document graveyard"

That's the description I'm using in all our internal meetings now about finding an alternative.

export everything back to regular folders and decommission $80k worth of servers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

export to the recycle bin

lol i just remembered back in computer school in like 2002, this kid was wearing an "rm -rf /bin/laden" t-shirt and proudly explained to everyone that it meant "put laden in the recycle bin" :doh:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
confluence is pretty much the same, just a bunch of abandoned garbage also the search is total poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Krankenstyle posted:

export to the recycle bin

lol i just remembered back in computer school in like 2002, this kid was wearing an "rm -rf /bin/laden" t-shirt and proudly explained to everyone that it meant "put laden in the recycle bin" :doh:

i get that it was probably a thinkgeek special, but jfc, how could you buy a shirt like that and be so wrong?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i like the look of Confluence but I fear all my coworkers are too dumb to use it correctly

maybe that was the problem with sharepoint too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

2 jobs ago we tried to use confluence for design documentation, it was horrible. it's ok if you keep individual pages short and don't try to embed more than a couple images

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
we have two versions of sharepoint, confluence, ms teams, jama, a third highly customized version of sharepoint, intralinks, shared folders, onedrive, box, and of course e-mail with an aggressive archiving policy

anyone can put anything anywhere

the only thing that could find anything was an internal google search but that has now been decommissioned due to privacy concerns (there are no access controls on anything)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also all of these platforms have change management and enablement teams that insist their platform is the one true solution and all of the others are going away someday

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

we have teams except its locked down so you can only use the windows client while directly connected to the domain, even vpn doesn’t work

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

i get that it was probably a thinkgeek special, but jfc, how could you buy a shirt like that and be so wrong?

and in computer school of all places lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

and in computer school of all places lmao
Obviously self-respecting computer school students would only wear shirts saying unlink("/bin/laden");

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Nanpa posted:

Wait so is the switch not incredibly successful? I thought it was going to bomb as the pointless island between a Gameboy and a console, but it seems like everyone is getting one, albeit for like one game out of three

the problem now is that Nintendo estimated they'd sell 20 - 30 million Switches in 2018 and only sold like 17 million. This has destroyed their stock and led to the resent resignation of Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aimé.

by all accounts it'll continue to be the #1 selling console for years, but missing targets is what executives live or die on.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
reggie retired because he wanted to retire

nintendo of america has nothing to do with the company setting sales goals, noa is responsible for distribution, marketing and localization, they have no control over the japanese execs who actually set the goals

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Brother Stymie also forgets the vital “Employing uncles” function Nintendo of America performs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Schadenboner posted:

Brother Stymie also forgets the vital “Employing uncles” function Nintendo of America performs.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yes, I'm sure it's just a coincidence

the shareholders have the power to remove an executive. even if it's Nintendo Japan that sets the goals, they obviously expect everyone to meet those goals.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if the stock tanking would have resulted in his ouster it should have happened during the wii u years

i know you feel you have to defend your dumb theory, but it's just not holding up

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Nintendo stock didn't tank during the wii u because the market cares more about missed targets than which console is most popular. the stock price actually doubled in the years before the Switch launch, likely due to their entry into mobile games. they released Super Mario Run, Miitomo and later Animal Crossing, which they made with DeNA. there was also Pokemon GO from the Pokemon Company which they have a 30% stake in.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i forgot to mention that brother kevin has stepped past the line. brother kevin: go to bed windows 95 or something

ps: no pleasure

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
gentlemen, you can’t fight a console war in here. this is the michaelsoft thread.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

gentlemen, you can’t fight a console war in here. this is the michaelsoft thread.

I'm pretty sure I'm talking just about schadenfreude. mostly I'm talking about stock prices?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PleasureKevin posted:

Nintendo stock didn't tank during the wii u because the market cares more about missed targets than which console is most popular. the stock price actually doubled in the years before the Switch launch, likely due to their entry into mobile games. they released Super Mario Run, Miitomo and later Animal Crossing, which they made with DeNA. there was also Pokemon GO from the Pokemon Company which they have a 30% stake in.

all of which (with the exception of pokemon go, which they do not own as you mentioned) have subsequently failed because their entry into mobile was ill-advised and, once again, driven by decisions outside of noa's jurisdiction

i know you're hung up on this stupid idea about missing overambitious sales targets that noa has no influence on or connection to, but the actual reason for reggie's departure (beyond his own desires to leave as he is nearing retirement age anyway) is more likely due to sony and microsoft's complete collapse in the console market and nintendo no longer needing an aggressive, commanding media personality leading the north american face of the company

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El_Elegante posted:

also please do not use the slur "console" when referring to nintendo gaming products

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
confluence is not amazing but holy poo poo it’s leagues better than fuckin sharepoint, quite possibly the worst piece of garbage I’ve ever had to use

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

periodic reminder that arguing with people under 21 such as stymie will naturally lead to immature poo poo like console wars. sok, just move on.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i miss when stymie was probated

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Nintendo stock climbed simply on the announcement of entry into mobile games and their partnership with DeNA. I only bring this up to explain why the stock climbed even though the Wii U suffered.

Beamed posted:

periodic reminder that arguing with people under 21 such as stymie will naturally lead to immature poo poo like console wars. sok, just move on.

sadly that would be a better explanation than my theory he's like some non-edgy edge lord who's addicted to being provocative in the most mundane and unflattering ways. but that can't possibly be right, can it? he's been here as long as I can remember.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Stymie posted:

all of which (with the exception of pokemon go, which they do not own as you mentioned) have subsequently failed because their entry into mobile was ill-advised and, once again, driven by decisions outside of noa's jurisdiction

i know you're hung up on this stupid idea about missing overambitious sales targets that noa has no influence on or connection to, but the actual reason for reggie's departure (beyond his own desires to leave as he is nearing retirement age anyway) is more likely due to sony and microsoft's complete collapse in the console market and nintendo no longer needing an aggressive, commanding media personality leading the north american face of the company

Sony is absurdly successful in the console market, lol @ "complete collapse" just because Microsoft has ruined their own brand.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i have a sick rig with a gtx1080ti and i still buy most games on ps4 because i enjoy relaxed couch gaming a lot more than janitoring windows to make the latest games not crash horribly

if anything's collapsing it's the desktop pc enthusiast market after smartphones and ipads ruined everything

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

yes, I'm sure it's just a coincidence

the shareholders have the power to remove an executive. even if it's Nintendo Japan that sets the goals, they obviously expect everyone to meet those goals.

the sales target was announced april 26 2018, so just before the drop on that chart (just to the left of the second 'M' label from the left), the market had no information whatsoever on what would become of the target in the period the vast majority of that drop happened