Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lol at cross country skiing

that's like trying to swim up a mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Hiking owns and snowshoeing owns. I'm not going to risk skiing because of an old knee injury.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I've always kind of wanted to get into snowshoeing... Costco sells snowshoes for $130 I wonder how many times I'd have to go for this to be "worth it."

Last time we rented, renting was in the $25 ish area, 5 years ago (Seattle). We ended up buying our own for around $130 from REI during an end of season sale. I've heard the Costco ones are crap. (and I'm a big Costco fan, don't get me wrong. PBUC)

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

From r/relationships

Me [30F] with my parents [61F and 66M] - having trouble coming up with a realistic retirement plan with them

quote:

I'll start out with a bit of background on our family. I [30F] am an attorney earning well over $150K a year. My husband [32M] earns a similar amount with his (equally demanding) job, so we are able to live very comfortably. We currently have one child [2F] and will be looking to expand our family with one or two more children in the near future.

I have one older brother [42M] who I am not close with. He is notoriously stingy and has already made it clear that, however I choose to help our parents, I am on my own.

My parents [61F and 66M] have always been very bad with money. My father always earned a good salary, comparable to mine, and my mother never really had to work. While I don't know all the details of their finances, I know enough to say that they kept up with the Joneses all their lives and wasted money trying to compete with their millionaire friends whose lifestyles were simply unattainable for them. I do know they don't own their home (they move around too much; I believe they have 25 years left on their current mortgage), they have little to no savings or investments, and they both drive very expensive cars they do not own outright. Their home is also a constant source of stress for them; they insist on living in a 5-bedroom mini-mansion despite being empty nesters. Thankfully they do not have any credit card debt, as far as I'm aware.

My dad is disabled from a car accident he was in as a teen and with age, it's starting to severely limit his mobility. My parents are starting to have serious talks about his retirement, but they have absolutely no plan for how to live once the income stream shuts off. Basically, they're delusional, expecting that they'll be able to live the same lifestyle they've been living for the past 40+ years without having to adjust at all. They fully expect to be able to keep their cards and their huge house. They are adamant about not going to a lovely nursing home and insist that if they need care in the future, it must be done through an in-home care provider or that I'll have to care for them myself.

I am not willing to do either of those things. As I said, I have my own family that my husband and I are looking to expand, and we simply have neither the room or the time to care for both toddlers and aging parents. We do have money in our budget to support them in a decent nursing home or assisted living facility - but we cannot provide the expensive in-home care that they want, and they certainly can't pay for it themselves. Every attempt i've made to have a rational, realistic discussion about this with them is met with fits and hysterics, accusing me of being a bad daughter and wanting to put them in a shithole where they'll be abused. I have no idea how to come up with a plan that they're okay with but is doable for us financially.

Note: I will eventually be making a more in-depth financial post over on /r/personalfinance. Right now I'm looking for advice on the more human side of this - how to break it to my parents that they aren't going to be able to have the retirement they want, and how to work together to come up with a realistic plan instead.

**tl;dr: Parents are bad with money, have little savings, but expect to have a wealthy retirement and expensive in-home care which I cannot afford. Will not work with me to come up with a more reasonable retirement plan for them.**

I assume this is Zaurg’s daughter posting from the future to warn herself or something.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Xenocides posted:

From r/relationships

Me [30F] with my parents [61F and 66M] - having trouble coming up with a realistic retirement plan with them

I assume this is Zaurg’s daughter posting from the future to warn herself or something.

Possibly a dumb question, but like lovely credit scores, is there an upper age limit at which banks won't give you a mortgage? I mean, if they really have 25 years left on their mortgage the dad would be 91 when it's paid off, and there's a pretty decent chance he's not going to be around then.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Known Lecher posted:

Possibly a dumb question, but like lovely credit scores, is there an upper age limit at which banks won't give you a mortgage? I mean, if they really have 25 years left on their mortgage the dad would be 91 when it's paid off, and there's a pretty decent chance he's not going to be around then.

lol no. Like anybody you get a mortgage from actually holds it anymore. As long as the docs look good enough to sell off they will write it, take their piece and sell it off.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Xenocides posted:

Zaurg doesn’t make that much money.

Known Lecher posted:

Mortgage lenders will surprise you; you wanna see some weird poo poo research this strange period in history called ten or so years ago.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Known Lecher posted:

It's a debt with an asset attached, there is almost no risk in it. Oh no they might die and they won't get paid for a few months while the estate shakes out. Then the estate sells or refinances the house and the bank gets their cut of what's owed, complete with the compounded interest, and if they're really scumbags, late payment/attorney/etc fees.

If there is any money left over the credit cards will get paid, and the vehicles will get repossessed.

Then you have to hope little timmy was given a fixed sum in the trust (pretend for a moment there was a trust and this isn't probate) and the amount left in the estate is less than that amount. Little Timmy gets paid and the "equal share %s" get zilch.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Known Lecher posted:

Well, the bank only cares if they're not upside-down after transaction costs. Which in a standard market is 4-5 years. So, no.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dik Hz posted:

Well, the bank only cares if they're not upside-down after transaction costs. Which in a standard market is 4-5 years. So, no.

I don't want to sound hostile here, but... where did you get this idea? And these numbers? Are you very familiar with loan underwriting or real estate?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Known Lecher posted:

It's illegal to factor age in as a qualifier for a mortgage or to suggest a shorter term based on age.

What would happen if I died tomorrow:

Life insurance through work and policy my grandparents took out on me when I was young would pay out with my spouse as beneficiary.

These aren't huge, but big enough combined to allow him to pay down the house to an amount owed that would be more than manageable on one income once refinanced into a new 15 or 30 year fixed rate loan.

Or, in our market anyway, he could sell the house for enough to pay off the mortgage and fees with a bit extra, combine that with life insurance proceeds, and buy a small place outright in a smaller, lower COL city (which I think is what he would do).

If we both died? House sold by the estate. Bank paid off. Anything left to the inheritors. Like we care. We're dead.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Richard Hammond goes on a E/N rant about horses that seems very apropos to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-flg868deo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
if it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
If the BWM thread won't come to BFC, then BFC must come to the BWM thread:

Co-signing for a coworker for $1,500 and plans to refinance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/aqxm6y/cosigning_for_a_coworker_for_1500_and_plans_to/

quote:

Alright folks, here's the spiel; There's a gentleman at work (in his mid 40's or so) who just finished court proceedings finalizing bankruptcy. He had some outstanding medical bills in collections from when he was a youth, and not the most successful or wisest kid around. He now makes over $20 an hour, is never late to work, has never called in, is well liked by all, and plans to stay at the company for a career. To highlight the character of this individual he even runs a charity organization that provides low income families with Christmas presents for their children.

He's offering to pay me $1,500 if I cosign a loan with him so he can get his wife a new vehicle, on her birthday, now that they're no longer struggling. He plans to pay $2,000 a month on a $16,000 SUV, and says he'll refinance the loan in his name, removing me from the cosigner agreement.

I'm wanting to file my income taxes, take my savings, and the $1,500 so I can either get a first time buyer loan on a house, or just get a standard apartment with my fiance. Without the $1,500 I'll have to wait months to move my 28 year old self back out of my parent's house.

I understand the risks involved, but I'm a fair believer of this individual's integrity. What advice do you have for me?

I currently am in a pretty rough vehicle situation and need some advice to get out of it, anything helps!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/asz6s4/i_currently_am_in_a_pretty_rough_vehicle/

quote:

Hey guys, i’m in a bit of a predicament. I’m 18 years old and need a new vehicle. I currently drive a 1984 K10 that my parents got me when i was 16 from a family member, i drive it everyday and have to fill up 2, maybe 3 times a week. It’s about $27 filled all the way up and i have to spend anywhere from $275 - $320 a month on gas, it’s ridiculous! I pay for my own gas and maintenance (and i’m sure you can guess how much maintenance i have to do on a 36 year old truck). I make $9/hr and work 25-32 hours a week. I just don’t know where to turn. I don’t know if i should get my parents to co-sign on a loan, if i should just apply for a loan, or if i should just suck it up and run the drat thing till the wheels fall off. I would sell it but the trucks been in the family so long part of the deal me and my dad made when he got it for me was that i couldn’t sell it. Any advice would help. Thanks so much!

How to fix my credit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ashn1m/how_to_fix_my_credit/

quote:

Hey everyone, my first post here so I’m sorry if I’m making a common post. I’m 22 years old and my credit score is in the 500’s. I have a few accounts in collections and two open credit lines, both maxed out. The only problem is that these aren’t my credit cards, my mom used my social to get credit in my name and now she isn’t paying them off and it’s making my credit score plummet. I’m not sure what to do about it. I don’t want to report her and maybe sent to prison? But I’m trying to move out and get a nicer car in the near future and it’ll be way simpler to do that with a good credit score. I’ve always held a job, currently working full time with the same employer for two years. I know how to handle my money but my mom screwed me over. Is there someway I can close these accounts?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't want to sound hostile here, but... where did you get this idea? And these numbers? Are you very familiar with loan underwriting or real estate?

Average duration on a 30yr Fixed product is right around 4-5 years. 2-3 on a 15yr Fixed.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://old.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/at5agj/my_29f_husband_31m_received_a_15000_inheritance/

quote:

We've been married for two years. About eight months ago, my husband's aunt died. Most of his family lives in Florida, so he flew from Chicago for the funeral. He ended up staying for about a week.

Last weekend, my husband's sister [34F] came to visit us from Florida. While I was having lunch with her one day, I brought up how I couldn't take a vacation like I wanted to because I had to use my Christmas bonus to make some home improvements.

She responded by asking if that's what we spent the inheritance on. I replied by asking "what inheritance"? Then she described it as "the [aunt's name] money".

It clicked in my mind. I pretended to know about the money because I was embarrassed and didn't want her to know that her brother hid the money from me. She then brought up how she used her money to pay off her student loans.

I didn't bring it up with my husband until last night because I wanted to wait until his sister went back to Florida because she was staying with us. When I did bring it up, he said that he didn't tell me because it was his money. After asking, he said that he spent it on gaming and computer stuff and only had a few hundred left.

We got into an argument. He doesnt think he did any thing wrong. I brought up how even though my Christmas bonus was my money, I still used it for stuff that we needed. He said that's my fault because he never asked me to use it on that stuff.

I'm feeling really angry. I dont understand how he could be so irresponsible, especially when he'll be out of a job in August and doesn't have anything lined up yet.

TL;DR My husband received a $15,000 inheritance and didnt tell me about it. He spent almost all of it on gaming and computer stuff and doesn't think he did anything wrong.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I just mentioned it in another comment, but I think he spent a lot on Twitch donations as well. He watches streamers all the time. As for the gambling addiction, I don't think so. I've never seen him gamble before but It wouldn't shock me at this point.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bad With Marriage?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Fhqwhgads posted:

Average duration on a 30yr Fixed product is right around 4-5 years. 2-3 on a 15yr Fixed.

Source? I'm surprised to hear we're currently in line with or below the long term average if rates are rising and there are more buyers than sellers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deleted now, but while this is definitely BWMarriage if they live in a community property state then her bonus is likely "theirs" while his inheritance is likely "his." Technically correct is definitely the hill to die on, especially if he was grieving when he did all this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He must've known it was lovely to blow a windfall, even if it was his, if he kept it secret. Especially if the wife is saying she's sad they spent all their money on renovations and can't take a vacation.

How'd the wife not notice a $15,000 computer appearing in the house hold? You know that's gonna have some ostentatious red LEDs all over it

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He must've known it was lovely to blow a windfall, even if it was his, if he kept it secret. Especially if the wife is saying she's sad they spent all their money on renovations and can't take a vacation.

How'd the wife not notice a $15,000 computer appearing in the house hold? You know that's gonna have some ostentatious red LEDs all over it

Probably because it was a $1000 video card and $14k to streamers

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I doubt it. They're probably RGB.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I wonder how high you can get with custom gaming laptops. Those are easier to hide.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

that's so hosed up. he totally blew it on streamers/camgirls and tried to hide it from her.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Source? I'm surprised to hear we're currently in line with or below the long term average if rates are rising and there are more buyers than sellers.

There is no one definitive source. Geographic market affects prepay speeds, as does credit score, tax situations, loan purpose, etc. For an overall average, it's not too far off.

Source: It's my job to price, hedge, package, and sell mortgages to the highest bidder.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Fhqwhgads posted:

There is no one definitive source. Geographic market affects prepay speeds, as does credit score, tax situations, loan purpose, etc. For an overall average, it's not too far off.

Source: It's my job to price, hedge, package, and sell mortgages to the highest bidder.

A few years back didn't it used to be around 7 years? I am wondering if this is a low created by the rate environment since 2009ish and we will see that start to rise as rates climb.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Fhqwhgads posted:

You tease! If it's your profession you've got to have at least one tiny source. I'm curious because it is also my career and it is overwhelmingly evident that loans are being held longer since about 2012.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

therobit posted:

A few years back didn't it used to be around 7 years? I am wondering if this is a low created by the rate environment since 2009ish and we will see that start to rise as rates climb.

A few years back the average was about 54 months. Higher with a lower credit score and lower with a higher credit score. I'm assuming what you're assuming, but the current stall in rate hikes has put a pin in that for now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Do you break out for reason of closure? Refinance, Early Payoff w/o sale, Payoff within around original term date w/o sale, Payoff from sale for example? I imagine there are some big differences there, with people simply paying them off early being much lower than people moving or refinancing.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

The stats are tracked but from a performance/pricing standpoint closure is closure. Whether it's a refi, early payment, or held to maturity doesn't matter as much to the prepayment models.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Barry posted:

Probably because it was a $1000 video card and $14k to streamers

Ok so I’m behind on my internet gaming loser culture. Are people blowing wads on female streamers that are basically camwhores holding a DualShock? Or people throwing money as kudos to random smash bros players?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

howdoesishotweb posted:

Ok so I’m behind on my internet gaming loser culture. Are people blowing wads on female streamers that are basically camwhores holding a DualShock? Or people throwing money as kudos to random smash bros players?

Both, obviously.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

howdoesishotweb posted:

Both. And there wasn't anything about camwhores in the OP so it's kind of a creepy projection IMHO

He probably just built a dozen bitcoin rigs and hooked 'em up at work.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Also dropping cash so your hero streamer person will say your name live.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

taqueso posted:

Also dropping cash so your hero streamer person will say your name live.

Normie Celebs are even catching on!

https://www.cameo.com/

Kudos to anyone who can find a good BWM Story from Cameo

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
There's a guy I game with occasionally who claims to be some super-successful businessman. He shared a twitch clip where he dropped enough coin on a guy (during a "donation war") where the streamer was so blown away he actually started crying on camera.

I'm pretty sure this guy is full of poo poo and is actually broke, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

what is the point of wealth if not to make people cry on camera

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Enchanted Hat posted:

quote:

Alright folks, here's the spiel; There's a gentleman at work (in his mid 40's or so) who just finished court proceedings finalizing bankruptcy. He had some outstanding medical bills in collections from when he was a youth, and not the most successful or wisest kid around. He now makes over $20 an hour, is never late to work, has never called in, is well liked by all, and plans to stay at the company for a career. To highlight the character of this individual he even runs a charity organization that provides low income families with Christmas presents for their children.

He's offering to pay me $1,500 if I cosign a loan with him so he can get his wife a new vehicle, on her birthday, now that they're no longer struggling. He plans to pay $2,000 a month on a $16,000 SUV, and says he'll refinance the loan in his name, removing me from the cosigner agreement.

I'm wanting to file my income taxes, take my savings, and the $1,500 so I can either get a first time buyer loan on a house, or just get a standard apartment with my fiance. Without the $1,500 I'll have to wait months to move my 28 year old self back out of my parent's house.

I understand the risks involved, but I'm a fair believer of this individual's integrity. What advice do you have for me?

I love the "I'm planning to buy a house, and if I don't take this gigantic risk to get $1,500 now then I will have to wait months to move out!" Sorry son, but you aren't ready to buy a house anyway if $1,500 is make or break and you can't get that saved back up.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Nocheez posted:

There's a guy I game with occasionally who claims to be some super-successful businessman. He shared a twitch clip where he dropped enough coin on a guy (during a "donation war") where the streamer was so blown away he actually started crying on camera.

I'm pretty sure this guy is full of poo poo and is actually broke, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

I think it was summit, he got like $30k in donations and was crying, then they were reversed because it was a stolen CC.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

BWM question : did people like Kissinger and Mattis lose money with Theranos?

Also, everyone should read bad blood.

Board members probably didn’t make any real money. Their stock was fake stock that could someday become real stock. People like David Boies lost a lot of money because he took worthless shares in lieu of actual legal fees and expenses.

Mattis gets poo poo on for being a board member, but as far as I can tell he was recruited for ‘prestige’ and didn’t do anything. The corporate board had no real power and were largely kept in the dark.

Holmes patterned herself after Steve Jobs and they were eerily similar in how they both overpromised, lied, and abused others. But personal computers aren’t heavily regulated medical devices and Jobs had the Woz and other very smart people to back up his fanciful early claims. He also got really lucky when Apple bought NeXT since that failure was going to ruin him forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How can I get out of my car loan? (self.personalfinance)

submitted an hour ago by yytraphson

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/at87vt/how_can_i_get_out_of_my_car_loan/

quote:

Hi All,

I made the mistake of buying a car on a 6 year loan with 10.94% interest. I owe $11,400 but it's worth around $6,500 retail so am under $5,000. I have 63 months left on the loan and my credit is not good enough to borrow the difference from a credit union or refinance. I make 50k/year and have a total debt of 60k with the car and student loans. I will not be able to pay off the difference anytime soon. Is it possible to trade down in car without money out of pocket?

Thank You

A story as old as auto financing.........