Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dont post plotlines from my upcoming ravnica game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nehru the Damaja posted:

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1097873515020210176?s=19 This tweet reminded me of how I like to show economic consequences in D&D, remind the players of their hideous wealth vs the general squalor etc.

Is there any system or adventure or even just other fiction that does neat stuff with examining the economics around fantasy dungeon delving?

I actively try not to make that a thing in D&D, because it is flatly no fun. Treasure is just a scorecard for dungeoncrawling, and making what amounts to your point total have nasty consequences in the world takes a lot of the fun out of earning it. Much like I don't have cybered characters get mugged and stripped for parts in Shadowrun.

Cool idea for a comic, though.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 20, 2019

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

counting gold pieces, keeping track of consumables and food / carry weight. no thanks to them all. if they're not core to the game I remove them. if they are I don't play that game. this ain't dwarf fortress :cmon:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
personally I think the whole pop deconstruction of "But if you analyze the media, the good guys are really monsters" thing has grown very dull at this point.
A much more creative thought experiment would be explaining how and why a magic world with poo poo like magic items and dungeons filled with untold wealth actually functions.
Like, magical components and stuff costs money because it literally uses up the value of the coins or valuables used and reagents, and then new dungeons grow with more treasure inside, so you get a functioning ecology.

You didn't gently caress over that poor town by bringing in those shiny trinkets they can be broken down into the magic power that ensures decades of good harvests and safe drinking water, and lets them expand into an actual city (which then requires more magic to sustain, and the 'cracking' of more magic goods causes more dungeons to grow nearby, which attracts more adventurers and so on.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1097873515020210176?s=19 This tweet reminded me of how I like to show economic consequences in D&D, remind the players of their hideous wealth vs the general squalor etc.

Is there any system or adventure or even just other fiction that does neat stuff with examining the economics around fantasy dungeon delving?

The Nightmares Underneath has a little system for measuring the inflationary effect of dumping a bunch of treasure on a village or town.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Spike makes fuckin' fantastic comics, so I am hype for this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Thought of you lot.

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

A while back there was a list of TG goons with public Twitter accounts that was posted.

Is that still accessible anywhere? I am following a few folks who have names I recognize, but I am sure i am missing a ton.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thought of you lot.

Your tower of hanoi puzzle was too obvious to be the real answer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cassa posted:

Your tower of hanoi puzzle was too obvious to be the real answer.

A friend of mine ran a game at Origins one year and didn't get any players for a session so we showed up and played it. He put a statue that would move every time we left the main room and come back so we spent entirely too long trying to engage this thing in combat so it didn't sneak attack us.

It was just a statue magically animated to look alive.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Liquid Communism posted:

I actively try not to make that a thing in D&D, because it is flatly no fun. Treasure is just a scorecard for dungeoncrawling, and making what amounts to your point total have nasty consequences in the world takes a lot of the fun out of earning it. Much like I don't have cybered characters get mugged and stripped for parts in Shadowrun.

It can be a fun thing to think about and if you start off with the premise of "I'm using semi-accurate inflation concepts in this game so make sure you think about where to sell as well as how much to sell for" it can be fun and interesting. But just straight up springing "ha ha you sold a +2 sword to that town and now no one can afford food!" out of the blue? aw hell no.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Liquid Communism posted:

One thing I just realized today: the dungeonomics author Multiplexer is co-writing Gumshoe game Swords of the Serpentine by Pelegrane press. All of multiplexer's articles have been about generating storyhooks based on magic item and spell economies in D&D. I'm really keen to see a fantasy setting that she has a hand in designing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Oh hey lotfp guy posted his response

https://m.facebook.com/88524315885/posts/10156179503045886/

I'm not going to spoil the ending, it starts good and just nosedived into a fiery wreck by the end

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I'm not going to spoil the ending, it starts good and just nosedived into a fiery wreck by the end

The idea that feeling glad people are cutting ties with Zak means you also feel glad his disgusting actions happened is the most :psyduck: thing I've read. This is some galaxy brain mental gymnastics.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

counting gold pieces, keeping track of consumables and food / carry weight. no thanks to them all. if they're not core to the game I remove them. if they are I don't play that game. this ain't dwarf fortress :cmon:

And even if you're playing old-school D&D as written and keeping fastidious track all your consumables and mundane challenges, those elements still become irrelevant by like level 5. When you can easily conjure food and water, stick your loot in a literal pocket dimension, summon a magical mount that's intrinsically better than the greatest horse, find your path unerringly without mapping or navigating, etc, then all those rules that exist for the purpose of verisimilitude might as well not exist at all.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gtrmp posted:

And even if you're playing old-school D&D as written and keeping fastidious track all your consumables and mundane challenges, those elements still become irrelevant by like level 5. When you can easily conjure food and water, stick your loot in a literal pocket dimension, summon a magical mount that's intrinsically better than the greatest horse, find your path unerringly without mapping or navigating, etc, then all those rules that exist for the purpose of verisimilitude might as well not exist at all.
Don't forget my favorite - the super-detailed disease rules in the 1E DMG that were utterly inconsequential if you had access to a low level cleric. Also applies to poisons.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

it starts good and just nosedived into a fiery wreck by the end

Oh hey, speaking of nosediving into firey wrecks -

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1098172543800754176

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Earlier, I said I was eager to see Raggi’s response. I was not disappointed.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Father Wendigo posted:

Oh hey, speaking of nosediving into firey wrecks -

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1098172543800754176

good mearls needs to boil alive for this poo poo, the official WotC statement was a fusion of Satine's "This hurts, and we have no room for abusers like this in the community, I wish I hadn't been fooled for so long" and Mike's "I actually don't recall the person in question, who was a minor tester, rape is bad but he has nothing to do with the game or me." revisionist bullshit that just struck me as cowardly and expecting the average person to have no real idea of how much Mearls went to bat for the guy.
Like just admit you hosed up, say "Look, he was listed as a consultant because he had a big name/I wanted to attach folks who'd vocally hated 4e to show we were listening to them. In practice he really was just a playtester, and I'm sorry that adding him to the credits like we did helped an abuser continue his grift and exploitation. I misjudged the guy's character, and fell for the same trap of listening to his lies because he got to me before his victims. In the future HR will actually be involved in this stuff. I was too hands on in something I shouldn't have been. Nor should I have defended him publically."

fake edit: let-them-fight.gif

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

Earlier, I said I was eager to see Raggi’s response. I was not disappointed.

this is kinda gross rubbernecking. I'm not surprised at all but this eagerness to watch people light themselves on fire and trivialize the victims makes this all feel like it's entertainment for some of ya'll.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Liquid Communism posted:

I dunno, it'd be a good little campaign from the other side. "Ajax the Invincible Overlord offered the Star Sapphire of the Sapphire Star in trade for literally all the portable food and water in the village to supply his crusading army, and the elder accepted, blinded by greed or cowed by power. This thing would set you all up for a generation, but where are you going to go to find someone who will give you that kind of money, and how will you set it up so you don't have a giant pile of free coin to draw in the bandits like hobos smellin' pie?"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Adept Nightingale posted:

this is kinda gross rubbernecking. I'm not surprised at all but this eagerness to watch people light themselves on fire and trivialize the victims makes this all feel like it's entertainment for some of ya'll.

Somethingawful.com

Coolness Averted posted:

Like just admit you hosed up, say "Look, he was listed as a consultant because he had a big name/I wanted to attach folks who'd vocally hated 4e to show we were listening to them.

Hahaha he will never say this and probably wont say anything else about it and hope it blows over.

Also, people who vocally hated 4e should be employed by wotc regardless of the issue :colbert:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
There's something about Raggi's icon being a terrified woman with tentacles bursting out of her face that just gives the whole statement a really weird vibe.

Or is it just me?

:thunk:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Adept Nightingale posted:

That's a fair criticism. I'll reassess my attitude on the situation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Glazius posted:

I dunno, it'd be a good little campaign from the other side. "Ajax the Invincible Overlord offered the Star Sapphire of the Sapphire Star in trade for literally all the portable food and water in the village to supply his crusading army, and the elder accepted, blinded by greed or cowed by power. This thing would set you all up for a generation, but where are you going to go to find someone who will give you that kind of money, and how will you set it up so you don't have a giant pile of free coin to draw in the bandits like hobos smellin' pie?"

When you put it like that, sounds like accepting hard to move treasures for that is a good alternative to getting pillaged.

I always assume the D&D economy only exists from the PCs' point of view because everyone is gouging them wildly.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Dragons are redistributive. You create works, get paid by someone rich, the work is stolen by a dragon, necessitating the creation of a new work. It stimulates the economy, but should the dragon be slain the consequences are disastrous.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When you put it like that, sounds like accepting hard to move treasures for that is a good alternative to getting pillaged.

I always assume the D&D economy only exists from the PCs' point of view because everyone is gouging them wildly.

The answer is easy: the village crafts itself as a tourist trap around said spoils. Nothing like a magical equivalent to the “Biggest Ball of Twine” to help the economy!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is the Fantasy Flight version of L5R good? I want to know if it's worth the initial investment for the core book and special dice.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is the Fantasy Flight version of L5R good? I want to know if it's worth the initial investment for the core book and special dice.

I've enjoyed what little I've played of it. On the one hand: Combat is confusing and I suspect I am doing it wrong all the time. On the other: It plays easy and empowers players to lean into their tragic character hooks. Also, for a system where you heal half your damage or stress at the end of every scene, it's weirdly easy to lose a goddamn hand or something in a fight.

Those dice are a friggin' chore online.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mystic Mongol posted:

I think I stole that example from a chuubo's example from years ago?

It's not a system I'm super familiar with, in any case.

No, that can't be. This is the Chuubo's example quest, after all:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Master Roshi could teach a goddamn turtle martial arts, and a dog probably has more occasion to use them.

Maybe that's how one was elected king of the world.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Glazius posted:

Yeah, it's not Chuubo, but I've 100% seen multiple games doing XP that way. The annoying thing is I can't for the life of me remember which ones.

I was convinced this was Lady Blackbird keys, but keys just give you a flat 1 XP per key you hit, and also aren't presented in that specific format.

e; vv that was it!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 21, 2019

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It looks a lot like Marvel Heroic Roleplaying's milestones:

Do this in-character thing as often as possible, 1 XP/go.
Do this in-character thing once per scene, 5 XP/go.
Do this hugely pivotal in-character thing once ever, 10 XP.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The lady blackbird xp system is almost certainly an intentional iteration of Marvel Heroic.
As for Chuubo, I don’t know whether it’s from whole cloth or an evolution of the same concept.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

The lady blackbird xp system is almost certainly an intentional iteration of Marvel Heroic.
As for Chuubo, I don’t know whether it’s from whole cloth or an evolution of the same concept.

Chuubos is a more structured version of Nobilis, where you get personal XP for your character interacting and fleshing out their relationship with their estate, bonds, and afflictions.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

DalaranJ posted:

Lady Blackbird's is based on the key system from an earlier game, the Shadows of Yesterday. (and Blackbird actually predated Marvel Heroic by like...3 years?)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Glazius posted:

What the hell, I'm suddenly very intrigued by this system.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

food court bailiff posted:

It's a Jenna Moran joint, meaning the vast majority of it is written as a reference manual for something you already know. It's easy enough to understand from the player side, but contemplating GMing it still moves me to inarticulate noises of despair.

It can produce amazing play artefacts like that, though, assuming you can cultivate sufficient Jenna Moran nature to create them.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 21, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

That makes sense, I certainly never knew about that earlier product. That was back when I only knew about D&D unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

food court bailiff posted:

Pretty much everyone is. And they never stop being. That’s the big problem with it.