Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Enhanced pointer precision is acceleration. The slider is a multiplier that works by ignoring (below 6/11) or double counting (above 6/11) mouse events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

kaschei posted:

Enhanced pointer precision is acceleration. The slider is a multiplier that works by ignoring (below 6/11) or double counting (above 6/11) mouse events.

So leave it at 6? Oddly I think mine is at like 2 or 3 for some reason and LGS is set to 3200DPI. I might move to 6 and 1600 DPI

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

7+/11 are bad in that they introduce skipping; some pixel-perfect movement will be impossible (at least on the first approach). Also the motion of the "next" event depends on the state of an accumulator so it looks unpredictable.

There's nothing really bad about low settings other than 5. 4 is "halve sensitivity", basically counting every other event. This is pretty much identical to halving your mouse DPI. More about the other states is here but requires some mental translation (what I mean by 6/11 they call 10/20 for extremely good reasons no one needs to care about).

5/11 ignores every 4th mouse event which can feel like stutter when you're trying to be precise.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 11, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

That's all very interesting, and I didn't realize before that EPP was actually acceleration, because with it on my mouse cursor feels more...controllable?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Well, yes. Years and years of using the same settings will ingrain them into your muscle memory. Switching away from what you're used to will always feel awkward, because now your muscle memory is no longer accurate.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Well actually I have no problem adapting to changes like that. I used to have the pointer speed option set above 5 because I didn't realize what it was doing, and immediately adjusted to it in the middle at 5 but noticed the difference in behavior with EPP on and off. I also used to play at 1600 DPI or above because I thought that that's what you were supposed to be doing with all of these high DPI gaming mice, before realizing that many people use lower settings, like 800-1200, for better control; I immediately adapted to that as well. So I agree muscle memory is applicable, but in my case EPP doesn't feel like acceleration, it just feels like the cursor is more precise when it's on than off.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
If you turn off acceleration without changing the cursor speed it will feel kind of draggy at first, like you're moving through syrup, because the cursor no longer goes farther when you move the mouse more quickly. You try to make it feel "right" again by boosting the cursor speed, but that makes it move faster across the whole range, so it's harder to make fine movements. That's why it feels less precise.

Leave the cursor speed where it was and deal with the draggy feeling for a week or two. It won't take long to get used to it, and then you'll probably find that you can actually hit targets better and more quickly than you could with acceleration on.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
HEY!

loving HEY! YOU!

THE MX518 IS loving BACK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBWZp0ud1nA

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice/mx518-gaming-mouse.html

THEY BROUGHT THE loving MX518 BACK AND UPGRADED ITS GUTS!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 19, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Now do it with the G700/G700s.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

orcane posted:

Now do it with the G9x
Priorities, please!

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

kaschei posted:

Priorities, please!

Shush now, wired peons

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

SwissArmyDruid posted:

HEY!

loving HEY! YOU!

Make a wireless version you cowards.

A wireless MX518 or G502 would be the perfect mouse imho.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Gonna mod the 305 into it

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

HEY!

loving HEY! YOU!

I'm still using mine.

I guess if I'm ever going to "upgrade" it, this would be the mouse to buy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I struggle to grasp the hype behind the MX518.

eames
May 9, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

It's like there was a misunderstanding, people asked to have 2005-era logitech customer support back, not the products.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I think the MX518 was the original "LOGITECH WHY DID YOU DISCONTINUE THIS?!?!?!" product - I have fond memories of mine being well used over the course of 6 or 7 years before the plastic started to break down and wear away. Nowadays it's rough for me to go back to a mouse with that few buttons, but I'm glad they're somewhat listening to feedback.

Maybe that means I'll finally get a re-introduced G700/G700s with updated internals sometime around the Mars colony

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As I have detailed in this thread before: I still have my MX518.

I don't use it, the sensor is, in this day and age, objectively, garbage.

But I've never used more buttons on my mouse than that thing ever had, and when I finally stopped using it to "upgrade" to the G400, it remains the longest-lived Logitech product I have ever owned.

After which, I went through four G400 and a G400s in the span of about two years, whereas the previous singular MX518 lasted that long and more all on its own*. Eventually, I think, they just upgraded me to a G502 to shut me up. Which is fine, it's what I'm using now... if a bit heavy.

But If you want to talk about hardware, the MX518 was a loving tank and I am 100% okay with them going taking the approach they have, with just replacing the sensor board with minimal additional tweaking. The G400/G400s mice were a real bad time, and made people, myself included, worry that Logitech had gone down the same road as all the other mouse manufacturers, in building planned obsolescence into their peripherals.

*In fact, as detailed in my escapades in buying mystery ebay mice that claim to be MX518s, turns out my own MX518 only had a worn-out cable, and poaching one from the mouse I had just disassembled revived it nicely. A fitting compensation for wasting my time, I think.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 20, 2019

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Wasabi the J posted:

It's very comfortable, nothing else has ever compared :colbert:

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress yeah new mx518s. I still use mine from 2006.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Replaced a switch on my mx518 recently. Still going strong since 2006.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I had a MX500 which is basically the same mouse, and while it was good for the time I wouldn't say the design has aged well. The teflon feet were tiny little things (maybe they've improved on that, didn't see any pictures of the underside) and the mousewheel is small and smooth and deeply embedded (does not appear to have been improved based on the pictures). There's a reason why modern designs have trended towards big broad wheels with texture/grooves.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Do we have a release date for the new MX518 yet?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

spasticColon posted:

Do we have a release date for the new MX518 yet?
No release date yet, but probably Soon(tm), Sweclockers already got a review sample and put up their article/video piece.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

It was a good mouse back when it was new, well over a decade ago; I sent mine to a goon friend who I believe uses it to game to this day.

There are far better options nowadays, however (namely the Logitech Lightspeed wireless stuff, and especially the Powerplay-compatible options,) and the "new" MX518 is mainly for nostalgia.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like that we mostly left the godawful designs like the G900, G402 and G502 behind, but I hope they're adding more e-sports mice, maybe use the G403/603/703 shape again. Can't have too many of those.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Can't wait for the Wingman relaunch.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
bring back the G9 but with lightspeed wireless you cowards

(both sizes of grip too)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Bring back the G7 with its weird VCR battery charger.

Also, would be nice if Logitech were to fix their Gaming Software not respecting the system language setting. This bug has been present for literal years now.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Looking for a wireless mouse that's
    Under 70-ish bucks
    Smaller than the OG Rival it's replacing
    Preferably running off AA batteries

Is there anything else to consider besides the g305? I'm sitting around 2-3m from the receiver and my cheapo logitech wireless combo craps out pretty often if I don't put the receiver on a usb extender cable, will this be an issue with more expensive mice?

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 21, 2019

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Rexxed posted:

Can't wait for the Wingman relaunch.

I used this mouse back in the day. I don't see anything online about this being relaunched though??

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Arzachel posted:

Looking for a wireless mouse that's
    Under 70-ish bucks
    Smaller than the OG Rival it's replacing
    Preferably running off AA batteries

Is there anything else to consider besides the g305? I'm sitting around 2-3m from the receiver and my cheapo logitech wireless combo craps out pretty often if I don't put the receiver on a usb extender cable, will this be an issue with more expensive mice?

This could be a problem with USB 3.0 interference, USB 3 tends to disrupt 2.4 GHz signals. Does it happen if you use a short USB 2.0 extender cable to get the receiver away from USB interference as well?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mister Fister posted:

I used this mouse back in the day. I don't see anything online about this being relaunched though??

They're saying that they want it to be relaunched, not that it currently is.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

This could be a problem with USB 3.0 interference, USB 3 tends to disrupt 2.4 GHz signals. Does it happen if you use a short USB 2.0 extender cable to get the receiver away from USB interference as well?

Oh is that a thing? I have a Logitech Unified receiver and an Xbone controller on my HTPC and the connections randomly drop for a few seconds (and I can "fix" it by getting really close).

On that note, I remember getting extenders for the Unified receiver with some Logitech mice, but I seem to have lost them. Can they be ordered separately? I guess I could get a random USB extension, but those don't look as nice :v:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Lambert posted:

I have the receiver hooked up to a usb2.0 port right now, but the wireless router right next to my pc *might* be an issue :v:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

If Logitech don’t bring back the Mouseman Dual Optical I’m done with them.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
I currently have a G500 that I have had for many years, but am looking for something that will fit my large freakish hands. I would I'm looking at the G502 and will hopefully get to try it out at a Best Buy, but is there anything else that is on the larger side of things?

Also Mouseman Dual Optical was so drat good.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

orcane posted:

I like that we mostly left the godawful designs like the G900, G402 and G502 behind, but I hope they're adding more e-sports mice, maybe use the G403/603/703 shape again. Can't have too many of those.

I actually prefer the G903 to the G703, but I wouldn't blame anyone for having the opposite opinion.

Lambert posted:

Bring back the G7 with its weird VCR battery charger.

For as much as I wanted this to work, the individual battery packs ended up lasting only a handful of hours each, so having to swap them multiple times a day got old real fast. Also on top of that, only one thumb button ("back") instead of two meant I had no reservations about getting rid of this thing.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I pre-ordered the new MX518 on Amazon and I'm getting a estimated arrival date of Wednesday the 27th. Maybe if it sells well enough Logitech will make a Lightspeed Wireless version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What country do you live in that you have preorders already, spatstic?

edit: nm, found it, it looks like they're not using the "MX518 Legendary" name in all regions.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 23, 2019