Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I finally picked a team and started Etrian Odyssey Nexus and as a casual fan of this series I'm glad to be back, and I hope it continues in some form on the Switch. I can say that, while I still kind of enjoy it, I won't be too sad if they cut the cartography element at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Who decided Street Fighter III's soundtrack would all be slowjam RnB and how do I make them suffer?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The main complaint I have about Hollow Knight is that some powerups and abilities are placed much too late in the game, or are effectively optional when they shouldn't be because of your freedom to explore and the sheer scale of terrain to cover. Like, dodge iframes/dodge through enemy is a fairly late unlock as I recall. And I think I went much longer than I should have without wall jump just because I was able to turn around and head off in a new direction when I was about to find it. And there was someone ITT who said they had beaten most of the game without discovering that they could upgrade the sword. Sometimes locking the door behind the player and railroading them for a bit can be a good thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

[disagreement box]

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is subzero measuring his name in farenheit or celcius

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

[disagreement box]

Yeah Hollow Knight leaving it up to you to explore and find things is wonderful

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

oddium posted:

is subzero measuring his name in farenheit or celcius

It’s in Kelvin

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

It’s in Kelvin

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rarity posted:

Who decided Street Fighter III's soundtrack would all be slowjam RnB and how do I make them suffer?

wtf

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://giant.gfycat.com/GreenRecentIndusriverdolphin.webm

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hate it when a new challenger approaches and it’s just another marth

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They added Bayonetta to that SMT mobile game and its incredibly easy to get her, I just started this morning. I think I might be hooked on this one for a while!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah Hollow Knight leaving it up to you to explore and find things is wonderful

Most of the time I'd agree but there are a lot of places I would have really liked to have one or both of those things the first time I encountered them. And the other guy only found out about the blacksmith because he complained here that all the enemies were taking so long to kill it wasn't fun any more.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The map design and item progression of HK is almost perfect imo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPjjnfGKrPc

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

haveblue posted:

Most of the time I'd agree but there are a lot of places I would have really liked to have one or both of those things the first time I encountered them. And the other guy only found out about the blacksmith because he complained here that all the enemies were taking so long to kill it wasn't fun any more.

The game gives you all the clues you need to find the Nailsmith. Quirrel tells you about him very clearly.

E: drat Cowcaster got it right from the source

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When I die, I hope the devil plays this as he drags me down to hell.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
There are also signs around that area with pictures of a nail/sword, pointing towards the nailsmith. They can be easy to overlook if you aren't paying attention, but there are a lot of signs in this game and it pays to make note of them.

Pro-tip for people just starting out; you won't likely wind up with a huge surplus of geo in the beginning but if you're afraid of losing your stash by dying there's a bank that will hold your money for you. It's a little out of the way but worth making deposits there throughout the game so you can afford the late game, big ticket items.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I did not care for Hollow Knight at all and will not be buying Silksong since it appears to be more hollow knight with even more focus on the parts of hollow knight I didn't like.

I am willing, of course, to be completely wrong when it is finished and released.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rarity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj9wkNnFfGA

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

The game gives you all the clues you need to find the Nailsmith. Quirrel tells you about him very clearly.

E: drat Cowcaster got it right from the source

You still have to talk to Quirrel, an optional character you never have to engage with, and then find the nailsmith who is tucked in an opposite corner from the direction you would normally travel in the city.

The clues are there, and I don't know how you could get through most of the game without thinking "hmm, maybe I should complete this obvious gap in my map" but the nailsmith I feel is the one NPC that really should've moved to the surface. I haven't played any Souls game beyond Demon's but every important NPC finds their way to the Nexus after you bump into them to keep all the storefronts centralized.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I find the part in Metroidvanias where you have all the upgrades and you're just going around getting all the collectibles/filling out the map v satisfying

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

There are also signs around that area with pictures of a nail/sword, pointing towards the nailsmith. They can be easy to overlook if you aren't paying attention, but there are a lot of signs in this game and it pays to make note of them.

Pro-tip for people just starting out; you won't likely wind up with a huge surplus of geo in the beginning but if you're afraid of losing your stash by dying there's a bank that will hold your money for you. It's a little out of the way but worth making deposits there throughout the game so you can afford the late game, big ticket items.

What is this, trap advice?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

The banker is completely trustworthy.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rarity posted:

Imagine being wrong. Boo at you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

quirrel is my friend

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tbh if you play Hollow Knight without talking to Quirrel at every opportunity, what's even the point of living?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Talking to the NPCs in HK is a joy

The only change I might (might) make is to move the dream gate earlier and remove the minor cost. HK rules but depending on how/what you explore I think it can be a bit slow for the first couple of hours.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Who decided Street Fighter III's soundtrack would all be slowjam RnB and how do I send them a big cake?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
God forbid you explore in a metroidvania game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

hello mudda
hello fadda
where's my husband
bampanada

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Relax Or DIE posted:

The only change I might (might) make is to move the dream gate earlier and remove the minor cost. HK rules but depending on how/what you explore I think it can be a bit slow for the first couple of hours.

I like talking to Myla :3: :smith:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my favorite storytelling thing in hollow knight is when you fight the mantis lords and there’s an empty seat and then later you fight the traitor lord who’s a big hulked out mantis that gave in to the phazon moth

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

my favorite storytelling thing in hollow knight is when you fight the mantis lords and there’s an empty seat and then later you fight the traitor lord who’s a big hulked out mantis that gave in to the phazon moth

Oh cool I never noticed that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Silksong is going to be so good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I bounced off Hollow Knight but I’m not sure why. Maybe the platforming was too meatboy-ish sometimes, maybe the colour palette fatigued me, maybe I couldn’t find the next place to go and got bored going through that one long hallway with those enemies that rush out of the ground and take three hits to kill, I dunno

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

geo halala

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I enjoyed Hollow Knight but I didn’t care for how you got health back in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I do think there's this mid-game lull in HK where the game stops feeding you breadcrumbs. I remember my path was something like finish the city the first time, discover that glass mine that doesn't really go anywhere, get the first small key and go to the city waterways which is hard as gently caress and scary and leads to the dung beetle boss (easy) and grub queen (really drat hard), go down deeper into this area that's just covered with spikes like a Celeste level and no quick travel or saves, go back to the city to fight the soul wizard(?) who is also a suddenly hard and unexpected boss, just kind of meander around until fighting the mantis lords, finally stumbling on Deepnest and HEY PLAYER YOU FOUND THE PLOT AGAIN now welcome to the worst level lol