Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How do stacking re rolls work? I’m assuming you only get one re roll per action?
Like tankbustas have a rule that lets them re roll misses against vehicles. Bad moons culture lets Ork clan units re roll 1s. If the original shot misses, is re rolled and is a 1, do the tankbustas get to re roll again?

I wish tankbustas were nearly as good as lootas because rockets rule

I'm 99% sure you can only do one re-roll from traits, they can't stack (this is why the Iron Hands vendreds aren't a good deal, for example, because you can't stack FNPs).

Related: can you burn CPs to re-roll a trait-generated re-roll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Rulebook pg178 posted:

RE-ROLLS
Some rules allow you to re-roll a dice roll, which means you get to roll some or all of the dice again. You can never re-roll a dice more than once, and re-rolls happen before modifiers (if any) are applied.

ROLL-OFFS
Some rules instruct players to roll off. To do so, both players roll a D6, and whoever scores highest wins the roll-off.In the case of a tie, both players re-roll their D6; this is the only time players can re-roll a re-roll – if the second and subsequent rolls are also tied, keep on rolling until a winner is decided.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Corrode posted:

The reason Alex beat Nick and Steve with Orks is that his list was explicitly built to fight them. He had 7 planes and Agents of Vect, which means that he could prevent the Lootas from firing most efficiently, and also take away their Grot Shields so that he could blow them off the table asap. Once the Lootas are dead, planes don't give a poo poo about Grots or Boyz, which was most of the rest of the list. He also had two big units of Ynnari Windriders with scatter lasers, of which one or potentially both can double fire, one of which can be Guided and the other having Ancestor's Grace (re-roll all hits/re-roll 1s to hit) against something with Doom. That will remove an Ork unit at a time from a safe range, and is able to reposition very quickly if needed.

It's also good in general because Eldar planes are good and there's plenty of other use cases for tons of S6 shots on mobile platforms, but it was a list which was tailor-made to beat the Loota star which Alex knew the top American Ork players were running. A good example of thinking about the meta and ways to counter it.

Nick's list was also apparently pretty new and he might not have had enough time to perfect it before the actual event.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

The doctor is in:

Is the base marine attached to the doc? I love the model but the basing I use doesn't suit that and my inner fluff bunny thinks the dude stepping on an aquilla/coworker is weird.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I hate how good you are at this.

Thanks man :)

Eifert Posting posted:

Is the base marine attached to the doc? I love the model but the basing I use doesn't suit that and my inner fluff bunny thinks the dude stepping on an aquilla/coworker is weird.

The dead marine/aquilla is a separate piece, so you can just leave it off and stick a rock under his foot or something very easily if you wanted.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Eifert Posting posted:

A regular marine maybe wouldn’t (depends on the chapter) but once the geneseed has been removed I could see how an Apothecary would go full Klingon (again, chapter-dependent)?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Cool, I'll probably base it to look like a crater, have been playing with that concept.

The biggest issue is my peeps are flouncing around on concrete and unless that redshirt got very selectively vaporized his positioning would be super weird.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 21, 2019

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
When the job is killing and cracking open your marine buddies for the juicy progenoid gland within, apothecaries might develop a psychological justification that the gland is the freed soul or something and the marine is just a discarded shell.

I am super tempted to pick up this GSC Doctor and make just the most disgusting Aberrant squad possible. A Biophagus, Abominant, Iconward, Magus and Primus backing up 10 hammerants and going apeshit on a knight. 40 strength 16 hammer attacks for the low low price of like 600 points.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Chaos marine penmanship is atrocious.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

For_Great_Justice posted:

It's Chaos Morse Code, actually.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Burn the book? Read the book? Why not both!

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Schadenboner posted:

I'm 99% sure you can only do one re-roll from traits, they can't stack (this is why the Iron Hands vendreds aren't a good deal, for example, because you can't stack FNPs).

Related: can you burn CPs to re-roll a trait-generated re-roll?

You can never re-roll a re-roll. It’s a core rule. So in the above case with orks, you could use the clan trait to reroll the 1s, but you would have to save the other re-roll for a failed roll other than a 1. The second reroll is thus useless if you are hitting on 2s, but I don’t know if any orks do that.

I don’t think you can do the CP reroll before the game on that warlord trait (like for Alpha Legion?) but it’s never come up for me. If I had to guess, I’d say you couldn’t on the same logic that you can’t spend a CP on rolling deployment type or rolls to go first or whatever. Rerolling the Alpha Legion trait if the first guy dies mid game might be fair, though?

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The tldr of the LVO data analysis;

Ynnari and imperial soup are real good. Many eldar soup folk brought a bunch (4+) flyers, all the flyers added win % except the voidraven.

Tyranids got stomped (people preparing for Orkz hurt bugs)

Thousand suns under performed

A few necron folks did well and they all ran the same dynasty

Which Necron dynasty were people running?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Eifert Posting posted:

It's a ways down my painting queue at this point but I built a 2nd apothecary largely for this reason.

I liked the idea of him fighting to save someone rather than just harvesting their implants.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Skails posted:

Mephrit.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Thanks for details on rerolls my friends.

Skails posted:

I do not remember my friend.

Is there a quick shortcut for calculating re-rolls? I know that re-rolling ones comes out to multiplying the equation by 7/6.

Hi it’s a super boring day in the office of analyzing legal papers. Can you tell?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

For_Great_Justice posted:

Diabolical, even

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Skails posted:

The posted list for #20 (taken from here) Is a Mephrit battalion with a Nihilakh doomsday ark chaser

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

I've always thought that him standing on a brother like he's a vanquished foe is weird as hell, and I'd like to know the sculptor's reasoning behind it.

Artum posted:

It's a ways down my painting queue at this point but I built a 2nd apothecary largely for this reason.

I liked the idea of him fighting to save someone rather than just harvesting their implants.

This is great.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have good recs on a battle mat?

Once this weather breaks I'll finally be able to collect the kitchen table out of my aunt's basement, and I'm looking to get a nice, possibly two-sided mat for 40k

Wondering if anyone has a good, affordable option or two I can peruse. I've looked at all the major sites, but I don't know if paying a little extra or a little less makes a difference.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

TheBigAristotle posted:

Anyone have good recs on a battle mat?

Once this weather breaks I'll finally be able to collect the kitchen table out of my aunt's basement, and I'm looking to get a nice, possibly two-sided mat for 40k

Wondering if anyone has a good, affordable option or two I can peruse. I've looked at all the major sites, but I don't know if paying a little extra or a little less makes a difference.

These guys do great mats: https://www.gamemat.eu/

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks for details on rerolls my friends.

I do not remember my friend.

Is there a quick shortcut for calculating re-rolls? I know that re-rolling ones comes out to multiplying the equation by 7/6.

Hi it’s a super boring day in the office of analyzing legal papers. Can you tell?

5s rerolling 1s: 7/18
5s rerolling fails: 5/9
4s rerolling 1s: 7/12
4s rerolling fails: 3/4
3s rerolling 1s: 7/9
3s rerolling fails: 8/9
2s rerolling: 35/36

Any penalties to hit make it messier, but that's the basic permutations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Plavski posted:

These guys do great mats: https://www.gamemat.eu/

I'm stateside, is overseas shipping expensive from them?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm stateside, is overseas shipping expensive from them?

$27 FedEx on a $66 6' by 4' mat. They're the crowd miniwargaming use for all their tables but they're also in Prague, so it's expensive even to other bits of Europe really.

The quality I've seen on the different tables over at MWG is top notch though so I think you get the quality for the money.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Which mat makers do folks recommend avoiding?

I recall seeing Tablewar Mats at NOVA and thinking their quality was pretty nice as well.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I recall seeing Tablewar Mats at NOVA and thinking their quality was pretty nice as well.

I think they're all fine other than FLG, since Reece is poo poo.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
FrontlineGaming has their mats for $75, and it's $6.99 shipping in the US. I've liked mine so far. It's held up for over a year without a single issue. I'm sure it'll last as long as I can take care of it. Plus, it comes in a bag for transporting it.

of course, I bought it before I found out about FLG. I own BattleFoam and a FLG map. I'm a terrible consumer.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bought a FAT Mat recently and it's been pretty good, although I haven't gamed on it particularly heavily yet.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Yeah I'm not planning on supporting them.

However I do need more poo poo about how Reece sucks. I only know that his voice is grating and I think it was he who defended that SS Skull on one of the painted models posted on FLG.

Please point me in the direction of more drama

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TheBigAristotle posted:

However I do need more poo poo about how Reece sucks. I only know that his voice is grating and I think it was he who defended that SS Skull on one of the painted models posted on FLG.

My understanding was that he defended it in a way that went beyond the obligation that a business owner should have towards his staff, then doubled- and tripled-down, then went all :qqsay: about how it was going to starve his kids or some poo poo?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

https://40kbadcast.com/2018/06/11/40k-badcast-31-its-not-all-guns-n-roses/

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
Tablewar donated a literal palette of cases and mats to the Camp Fire relief fund. They are a cool and good company, and their mats are super good. Winter Cobblestone is a gorgeous mat.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

When is the specific conversation?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

When is the specific conversation?

You could jump to 32:15 if you’re some kind of filthy animal who doesn’t want to listen to a whole badcast episode.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

TheBigAristotle posted:

he who defended that SS Skull on one of the painted models posted on FLG.

I mean, that's enough really

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

head58 posted:

You could jump to 32:15 if you’re some kind of filthy animal who doesn’t want to listen to a whole badcast episode.

I made that post and then realized I was just going to listen to the whole thing anyway. Even though this episode features slander against the very cool looking Armiger Helverin.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Booley posted:

What exactly did FLG and Reece do?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Giant Isopod posted:

I mean, that's enough really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I thought the culture and attitude at FLG seemed kinda lovely even before Reece had a meltdown defending a nazi symbol, that just cemented it for me. I have a mat and some ruins from gamemat.eu and they're great, especially for lazy people like me who don't want to work on terrain. Then again, gamemat.eu sponsors/advertises on Strikingscorpion's channel, so that's a little unfortunate too.