Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

JerryLee posted:

Picked up Amid Evil again. I was two or three episodes in when I put it down previously.

The visual design continues to be extraordinary, but the actual gameplay feels terrible most of the time, largely due to the enemy design. I basically can't proceed without savescumming because the speed of enemy attacks/projectiles, compared with my reaction time, mean that a lot of these ambushes will leave my screen flashing red almost before I can react unless I have foreknowledge of which weapon to have out and where to be shooting it. This is on Medium difficulty. I'd chalk it up to me getting old and bad at video games, but I had to crank DO4M up to Nightmare before it felt anywhere near this tediously difficult, and even then the fun still outweighed the tedium.

Also I learned that if you quicksave on the moving platforms in some of the jumping puzzles, loading it will make you fall because the platform won't be there anymore which was pretty cool.

OK, I have to amend myself a bit here. It turns out this was only the Forge episode that was nearly this bad. Why would I generalize to the entire game, you ask? Mostly just because I hadn't played in like two months (I got it as a gift to tide me over till DUSK, then got DUSK and switched to that until I beat it, then got drawn into Eviternity, and basically left Amid Evil sitting on a siding somewhere), and I didn't remember the previous experience clearly enough to recognize that the episode I'd just started playing was an outlier.

So, mea culpa. The rest of the game, while not without its warts, is much more fun. I just started on Arcane Expanse and it occurs to me that this is what Ep4 of Quake wishes it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Lots of dunking on Quake in the retro shooter thread. Smgdh

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
As far as FPS games are concerned, I rank Quake somewhere below modified Quake 1.5, somewhere above the SNES version of DOOM, and roughly equivalent to Metal Gear Solid 2 modified to run exclusively in First-Person Mode.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Is the OP up to date as far as the recommended engines go? Doom/Quake/etc.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

JerryLee posted:

OK, I have to amend myself a bit here. It turns out this was only the Forge episode that was nearly this bad.

Cool, as I'm still waiting to play it when it's released fully.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SpaceAceJase posted:

Is the OP up to date as far as the recommended engines go? Doom/Quake/etc.

Yes. For general Doom use GZDoom (compatible with everything) and for Quake, Quakespasm. OP is pretty much up to date and you can ask for more stuff that isn't there like newer map packs and so.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its so goddamn bizarre that we haven't yet had...

A) Some crazy fucker remake Prime Target, an obscure Mac shooter, in another engine. The first few levels have you investigating a senator's death by shooting the poo poo out of the building before broadening out to a level in DC alleys killing skinheads. Did I mention all the levels are linked? Yeah, its loving rad.

B) A functional source port/workable-anything version of Star Wars Dark Forces. DarkXL's flatlined development is a legit tragedy, meaning that almost every other "retro" shooter has an easily accessible port.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Are there any quick resources online that I can look at for an intro to Doom map making? Looks like I have several options for a map editor and I'd like to start out learning on a simpler one.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vargatron posted:

Are there any quick resources online that I can look at for an intro to Doom map making? Looks like I have several options for a map editor and I'd like to start out learning on a simpler one.
GZDoom Builder Bugfix and Vanilla Level Editing Tutorial

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

Pathways Into Darkness has been rebuilt in Aleph One, so you can play it with a gamepad (mostly, you still need a keyboard to talk to corpses) on a non-Mac like the blasphemer you are. Pretty impressive!

:piss:

I've already played Pathways, but in a 68k emulator so I never got those sweet textured floors. Time for a replay!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That looks great, I had no idea you could script interactive UI widgets in Aleph One.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Narcissus1916 posted:

A) Some crazy fucker remake Prime Target, an obscure Mac shooter, in another engine. The first few levels have you investigating a senator's death by shooting the poo poo out of the building before broadening out to a level in DC alleys killing skinheads. Did I mention all the levels are linked? Yeah, its loving rad.

I feel the licensed Marathon-engine games are actually the most obscure poo poo in this thread’s ambit. I don’t think I have ever even talked to anyone who’s played ZPC for example.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

skasion posted:

I feel the licensed Marathon-engine games are actually the most obscure poo poo in this thread’s ambit. I don’t think I have ever even talked to anyone who’s played ZPC for example.

I have! Even owned a boxed copy when it was still relatively new :keke: I've talked about all three of the Marathon engine games in this thread before, and the PiD port gives me hope of seeing them get re-releases that don't require SheepShaver to run

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

haveblue posted:

That looks great, I had no idea you could script interactive UI widgets in Aleph One.

I assume that's something pretty recent, since it says on the page it needs the latest A1 beta -- I know lack of that ability has been a dealbreaker in attempts to remake PID in previous years.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

skasion posted:

I'd go with this for most obscure:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Has anybody here played "Alert Alek"? That was a staple of my young adulthood.

Never even heard about it before that post, didn't find anything about it on the English-speaking web.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd go with this for most obscure:

Never even heard about it before that post, didn't find anything about it on the English-speaking web.

That's because its name in English is Contract J.A.C.K.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

skasion posted:

I played a demo of ZPC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wamdoodle posted:

I played a demo of ZPC.

Me too, but I've never seen a boxed copy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't have a PC, nor am I at home to even try something with one of the mac doom editors, and I am reading this like it's a goddamn story. Thanks for posting!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a great tutorial, my only point of contention with it is that it emphasizes specifically that your level should be difficult for you to beat. That's one area where you have to try to keep things in perspective, because it's always going to be much easier for you to beat your own level than someone who doesn't know everything about it. If you make it so that it's challenging for you to complete it even with that in mind, imagine how tough it would be for people who don't know it inside and out. You have to consider if you would be able to beat it without your own inside knowledge. Or just get friend to test it, that works too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It’s been two decades since I last thought about Bad Toys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TmGiAs-6y8

It was on a shareware CD-ROM* back in the day. Looking for the above video I found another one in colour. Apparently the Windows 3.1 version was black & white, but the Win95 version had colour and like 20 more frames per second. But like that second video notes:

quote:

Bad Toys 3D is a simple FPS to be similar with Wolfenstein series released in 1995.
It was released in 1995.
In 1995, Doom 2 has been released already.
Thus It's not good FPS game.

Buy it? Only :10bux: :shepface:

*I feel old saying both these words.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 21, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

quote:

You won't find DOOM here, but Bad Toys 3D is entertaining

That's the most adorable website I've seen in years. :allears:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

drat, I played that from some shareware CD back in the mid-90s. It is somewhat entertaining for a 7 year old at least.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

That's because its name in English is Contract J.A.C.K.

Heh.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I remember that there were hidden tiddays in Bad Toys and it caused a minor uproar.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The oldest obscure FPS game I remember playing was Corporation. It was a weird hybrid of FPS and party based action-RPG that ten-year-old me just couldn't figure out. I just ran around shooting mutants with big silly bullets til my party inevitably got wiped on the first floor.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Was gonna say.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wamdoodle posted:

I played a demo of ZPC.

Same. Found the gameplay to be super weird, but the intro was rad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98vuEmgYm9k

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I actually got a jewel case copy of ZPC for Windows from a thrift store within the past six months, but I haven't settled down and torn into it.

I've heard the Mac version is a bit better, but I don't own any Macs, or a Mac copy of ZPC for that matter.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

anyone remember the vehicle based fps games like Uprising? i used to love those

there was a great tank one called Recoil that was kind of like Future Cop LAPD but you were an experimental tank with a transforming turret

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shadow Hog posted:

I actually got a jewel case copy of ZPC for Windows from a thrift store within the past six months, but I haven't settled down and torn into it.

I've heard the Mac version is a bit better, but I don't own any Macs, or a Mac copy of ZPC for that matter.

It’s neat but drat near incomprehensible. I got mine from a flea market dollar store as a kid.

“Playing a KMFDM album cover” is maybe the best way to describe it.

e: Now that I think about it I wonder if that or my Special Edition Quake 3 For Linux from Dollar Tree was a better deal.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
ZPC looks great. I love it entirely based on that, and if it got an Aleph One port I'd gladly try it out.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

ZPC is ten gallons of ambition dumping across and sloshing out of a three gallon capacity bucket of technological limitations, and now the ambition is all over the floor and it's definitely going to stain the carpet. There's a full playthrough on YouTube for anyone that's curious but not "install and play ZPC" curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVlcI4gkBM

One of the comments (which might actually be Aidan Hughes of Brute! Propaganda) notes that the game was originally intended to be developed for a Microsoft videocard that fell through, and the Marathon engine was plan B

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dewgy posted:

It’s neat but drat near incomprehensible. I got mine from a flea market dollar store as a kid.

“Playing a KMFDM album cover” is maybe the best way to describe it.

e: Now that I think about it I wonder if that or my Special Edition Quake 3 For Linux from Dollar Tree was a better deal.
Quake 3 is actually playable. That tin Linux version was great because it got marked down to next to nothing even though the game files were identical. Download the latest Windows exe from id and you were good to go.

catlord posted:

ZPC looks great. I love it entirely based on that, and if it got an Aleph One port I'd gladly try it out.
From playing the demo a long time ago I’m not sure I’d go that far. Lots of stark massive rooms using a single texture. I remember I was roaming around aimlessly until I realized there was a door or something around a bend in a room. I had walked by it a dozen times because the textures made it so drat hard to make out the room geometry.

Honestly a high quality Doom mod using all the resources would be the best scenario. Something like Return of the Triad where it feels like it’s what the game should have been with a more capable engine (or at least a coherent design in this case).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mierenneuker posted:

It’s been two decades since I last thought about Bad Toys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TmGiAs-6y8

It was on a shareware CD-ROM* back in the day. Looking for the above video I found another one in colour. Apparently the Windows 3.1 version was black & white, but the Win95 version had colour and like 20 more frames per second. But like that second video notes:

Buy it? Only :10bux: :shepface:

*I feel old saying both these words.

Brutal Bad Toys when?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

david_a posted:

Honestly a high quality Doom mod using all the resources would be the best scenario. Something like Return of the Triad where it feels like it’s what the game should have been with a more capable engine (or at least a coherent design in this case).

ZPC has been at the top of my "want a remake" list for more than half of my time on this planet. And I was just thinking about how Triad-adjacent the game plays - one of the enemies is a giant spinning top made out of spikes and rust, and it would have felt right at home alongside NME :keke:

Hey fun fact: my first post in this thread, over seven and a half earth years ago, was about ZPC :toot:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

ZPC is ten gallons of ambition dumping across and sloshing out of a three gallon capacity bucket of technological limitations, and now the ambition is all over the floor and it's definitely going to stain the carpet. There's a full playthrough on YouTube for anyone that's curious but not "install and play ZPC" curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVlcI4gkBM

One of the comments (which might actually be Aidan Hughes of Brute! Propaganda) notes that the game was originally intended to be developed for a Microsoft videocard that fell through, and the Marathon engine was plan B

And now we know what that card is, thanks to the DirectX team at Microsoft. Microsoft “Talisman”: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2019/01/07/wall-of-gpu-history/

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Arivia posted:

And now we know what that card is, thanks to the DirectX team at Microsoft. Microsoft “Talisman”: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2019/01/07/wall-of-gpu-history/
I think I remember that name from the hazy mists of 90s vaporware graphics cards alongside the BitBoys Oy Glaze3D...

Anyway Wikipedia has an exhaustingly detailed article about if you’re curious (it was a failed experiment, basically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

3D graphics pioneerism from the early to mid-90s just fascinates me. I love those exotic and gimmicky attempts to render 3D as quick as possible for videogames. Is there more weird (for today's standards at least) examples besides Talisman's tile rendering and Sega Saturn's quads?