Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Augus posted:

As a game mechanic, it’s a good system that encourages the player to play the game in a smarter way and punishes then for leaving lots of bodies and evidence in their wake.

The way it plays into the story though is uhhh pretty shaky

It doesn't help that 90% tools/spells you get are things that make you kill better and in cool ways. The game directly encourages you to not use them.

The second game is a lot better about this though by giving you lots of new non-lethal options.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

and even then the "judgement" isn't towards violent tendencies so much as completionist ones

why you're doing it, what you expect to gain out of it, and how you'll react when what you get isn't possibly what you expected

and i mean the "punishment" you get is the best boss fight in the game and a ton of context to the story that's borderline necessary to fully understand the other runs, so even the whole judgmental thing is debatable, though you could potentially consider this a problem if you wanted

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Andrast posted:

It doesn't help that 90% tools/spells you get are things that make you kill better and in coolways. The game directly encourages you to not use them.

The second game is a lot about this though.

That's kind of the point. Having a bunch of cool lethal toys adds to the temptation. Like Metal Gear Solid 4 (and every iteration after) had a huge arsenal you can easily access.

PS: I like doing pacifist runs and I'm good with the game judging me for killing. I don't enjoy killing in singleplayer videogame campaigns. I was already used to the idea, so Undertale told me nothing new.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 21, 2019

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Andrast posted:

At that point it's just indistinguishable from a good/evil morality system. If you go high chaos everyone's life is worse and the game/characters admonish you for it.

Normally with a good/evil system there are evil characters, or your character is evil and thus there are those that benefit from your evil actions. That chaos is universally bad is what distinguishes it as a concept from evil, imo.

That said, I don't want to stan for Dishonored's story or plot too much because overall its pretty bad, I just really like the lore/worldbuilding

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

It doesn't help that 90% tools/spells you get are things that make you kill better and in cool ways. The game directly encourages you to not use them.

The second game is a lot about this though by giving you lots of new non-lethal options.

DX:MD was also significantly better than DX:HR at "please don't use the guns and lethal tools we give you", to be fair.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

That's kind of the point. Having a bunch of cool lethal toys adds to the temptation. Like Metal Gear Solid 4 (and every iteration after) had a huge arsenal you can easily access.

PS: I like doing pacifist runs and I'm good with the game judging me for killing. I don't enjoy killing in singleplayer videogame campaigns.

The temptation to have more fun in a video game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

The Dishonored thread literally had to tell people "stop quicksaving and loading every time you get spotted" because people were more or less ruining the game for themselves by quickloading every time they couldn't finish a level ghost/pacifist which believe it or not, is not a very enjoyable way to play video games.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Andrast posted:

If you simply must murder and blow things up in a videogame, sure. That's not where I get my fun though. Murdering your way through the game is the easy route, pacifist runs turn the game in to a puzzle game with sparring combat.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is the MGS series actually easier/more fun if you don't use tranq guns/CQC? I honestly have never tried.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

asecondduck posted:

Is the MGS series actually easier/more fun if you don't use tranq guns/CQC? I honestly have never tried.

Rambo is extremely enjoyable in MGS5 but not so much the other ones.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

people enjoy games different ways

I've never liked hack 'n slash/run 'n gun type gameplay so even in games without stealth options I usually take things real slow and methodical, and when a game rewards that I really like it :yeah:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

If you simply must murder and blow things up in a videogame, sure. That's not where I get my fun though. Murdering your way through the game is the easy route, pacifist runs turn the game in to a puzzle game with sparring combat.

Your Computer posted:

people enjoy games different ways

I've never liked hack 'n slash/run 'n gun type gameplay so even in games without stealth options I usually take things real slow and methodical, and when a game rewards that I really like it :yeah:

Just look at the second game! It does this way better by actually giving you cool and good non-lethal options. The first game just does a bad job by having a terrible balance between lethal and non-lethal.

I've played Dishonored both ways. Hell, I have even completed no-magic pacifist runs of both games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's tricky because non-lethal arguably should be harder than lethal for the whole morality concept to actually work.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Just look at the second game! It does this way better by actually giving you cool and good non-lethal options. The first game just does a bad job by having a terrible balance between lethal and non-lethal.

I mean, any video game tho

it's what I really adore about Dark Souls, for instance

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Andrast posted:

Cool, I haven't played it yet but plan to.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Rambo is extremely enjoyable in MGS5 but not so much the other ones.

Hah, that's clever and probably another hint at the twist.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Cool, I haven't played it yet but plan to.

Dishonored 2 is so good, I can't recommend it enough. It does everything better than the first one.

Also some of the levels in that game are rad as hell.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Your Computer posted:

I mean, any video game tho

it's what I really adore about Dark Souls, for instance

Huh? What's non-lethal about Dark Souls other than running past enemies and, I dunno, the Ceaseless Discharge trick?

Andrast posted:

Dishonored 2 is so good, I can't recommend it enough. It does everything better than the first one.

Also some of the levels in that game are rad as hell.

Good to know. I like the gameplay in Dishonored 1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the way I always play Dishonored is to ghost but whip out the sword if I screw up and get spotted, though pulling the sword out and running all over the place as a rapid murder phantom is also extremely fun.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
IIRC I read somewhere that the first Dishonored game was never intended to be played pacifist but was made possible very late into development because it kept getting requested - so if it felt a bit off that's why.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Huh? What's non-lethal about Dark Souls other than running past enemies and, I dunno, the Ceaseless Discharge trick?
I was talking about playing slow and methodically as opposed to running in guns blazing

which Dark Souls really rewards you for (and also why a lot of people think the game is hard, after trying to play it like a typical action rpg imo)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If anyone wants to get a new appreciation for Arkane's level design I recommend trying no-magic runs of both games. There is so much attention to detail that you just don't notice when you blink past everything.

You are required to get the basic non-upgraded blink in the first game though. In the second one you can straight up say no to the magic powers at the start.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dishonored is Bethesda, right? How long until it gets a Switch port?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Not gonna lie, kinda wanna play Undertale again after all this discussion; having it on Switch would be p deece (also I'm kinda wondering how that glitchy stuff is implemented)

Only ever actually went through each route once around release time so it's been quite a long while, and I usually like re-reading stories and books. Better appreciate foreshadowing and such

Now that I write this I realize I never played Deltarune or whatever it was either

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ciaphas posted:

Not gonna lie, kinda wanna play Undertale again now and having it on Switch would be p deece (also I'm kinda wondering how that glitchy thing is implemented)

Only ever actually went through each route once around release time so it's been quite a long while, and I usually like re-reading stories and books. Better appreciate foreshadowing and such

Now that I write this I realize I never played Deltarune or whatever it was either

Deltarune Chapter One is coming out on 2/28 and you can preload it even!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

asecondduck posted:

Arkane, published by Bethesda.

PREY is the best Arkane game imo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think I like Dishonored 2 a bit more but Prey is really good too

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I couldn't do a kill all run in Undertale. I tried starting one but just of the enemies go down so easy and barely defend themselves, I just couldn't do it

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Your Computer posted:

I was talking about playing slow and methodically as opposed to running in guns blazing

which Dark Souls really rewards you for (and also why a lot of people think the game is hard, after trying to play it like a typical action rpg imo)

Oh, word. That's why I like it too. Guns blazing is definitely the harder play style though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst part of the no mercy run in Undertale is grinding in Hotland. The game really, really doesn't let you do that run unless you deliberately go for it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

asecondduck posted:

i look forward to attempting chaos chaos with a proper analog stick this time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I couldn't do a kill all run in Undertale. I tried starting one but just of the enemies go down so easy and barely defend themselves, I just couldn't do it

I got through it but some of the writing (and other things like the music changes) are pretty gut-punchy, yeah

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The worst part of the no mercy run in Undertale is grinding in Hotland. The game really, really doesn't let you do that run unless you deliberately go for it.

the thing i actually love about the message of that whole run is that that's exactly the point

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Considering how poorly Prey runs on consoles even the Pro and X there's no real chance of a Switch port though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I'm a big softie and never played the game again after my first (true pacifist) run, they deserve their happy ending and I'm not gonna ruin that :unsmith:

my save file is still sitting there at ~10 hours

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Considering how poorly Prey runs on consoles even the Pro and X there's no real chance of a Switch port though.

Same for Dishonored 2.

Good lord does that game run awful on everything

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

asecondduck posted:

I've really wanted something by Arkane on a Nintendo system, curious as to why this hasn't happened. Maybe it's because the optimization for their stuff isn't as good as id or Machinegames? I remember Dishonored 2 took a lot of patching in its first few months due to being a Frankenstein'd Void engine thing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Prey and Dishonored 2 run on some weird souped up idtech thing that didn't even run that well on PCs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Barudak posted:

If microsoft announced that Viva Pinata 3 were exclusive to the Madbox Id seriously consider preordering one.

If MS announced that Viva Pinata 3 was exclusive to the Bone after putting one on the DS, they would be permanently dead to me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

asecondduck posted:

That's the same one as released on PC already, right, or what was that (I didn't play it)

Also thanks, got it on my home screen now (alongside Undertale because gently caress it I had enough coins to get it free)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Prey is a great game, but I really wanted a sequel to the original Prey.

Too bad Art Bell died, so they can't put him in as Easter Eggs like the original.