Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I've heard it's been fixed on the ZA (I think 2018+), but for this one - for me, not great. Mainly worst in 3/4th at low RPM maintaining speed, brother didn't say it was as bad as I felt it was but even so.. jerks on/off three or four times before I presume the ECU catches on and levels the input out. Exhaust has been ordered, just waiting on it to arrive so it can get a Woolich tune.
I am coming at this from 18 months without a bike, so it's definitely an amount of confirmation bias of sorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Barnsy posted:

Noice. How bad is the throttle response? Is the on-off as bad as people make out?

Am brother with 'postage stamp' R1 - throttling is fine if you're used to aggressive/tuned bikes, honestly. Just gives you nothing and then a reasonable punch. The weird thing is the almost utter lack of engine braking (coming from motards/tuned old gen race bikes). Bike is better than I expected stock, and I suspect will be a beast after cat is removed and the bike is flashed by an expert. Looking forward to it!

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

New mirrors on. Thoughts: holy gently caress I can see nothing now. They do look good, though.
Time to find a set that'll actually work and not zoom in on where-ever I'm looking. I promise to actually find somewhere mildly appealing for the next photo!

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Brought home this little guy...

First two stroke and I'm lovin it. 98 KE100.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Virgil Vox posted:

God I miss the :krad: colors of the 90s.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

that thing looks like a hoot and a holler

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Virgil Vox posted:

loving magical.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
That graffiti style is so radical.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tentacle Party posted:

That graffiti style is so radical.

Kawasaki and Honda need to bring back those old neon/paintbrush styles - gently caress endless 70s UJM "reboots", give me a Foxeye Fireblade or ZX7-RR with modern internals.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

My favorite peak 90's is the YZF600/750R Foxeye schemes. They took Homer Simpson's makeup gun, fired it at a bike, and somehow made all those colors harmonious:

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
First bike was a green 01 KE-100. That thing was a blast despite weighing less than me and topping out at a magical 45mph with a good tailwind

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

My favorite peak 90's is the YZF600/750R Foxeye schemes. They took Homer Simpson's makeup gun, fired it at a bike, and somehow made all those colors harmonious:

if Yamaha made a new R1 in these colors I would move mountains to try and own one

I got a survey from Yamaha in my inbox a while back and basically told them as such, so fingers crossed! :shrug:

One of the examples they had was a kicking rad purple/yellow color scheme on the new R6 and it looked *awesome*.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mad.radhu posted:

if Yamaha made a new R1 in these colors I would move mountains to try and own one

I got a survey from Yamaha in my inbox a while back and basically told them as such, so fingers crossed! :shrug:

One of the examples they had was a kicking rad purple/yellow color scheme on the new R6 and it looked *awesome*.

Middle aged tragics have been asking for a new urban tiger scheme for the fireblade for twenty-odd years.

It's just a silver bike with some orange bits, get over it already my god.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
First glamour shot in nearly 4 years of ownership. Probably the second time I've ridden for pleasure in that time too.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
hi5 drz+yoshi bro

i just had to put my baffle back in for a race :(
put a new battery in and cleaned out the carb with some healthy throttling. chain is pretty rusty but hopefully it will last for one race

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
The full yoshi system sounds so obnoxious but so good :)

Apart from that (done by the PO) and the zeta handguards the bike is completely stock. All I've done with it for the last 4 years is put in petrol and oil. Young family makes for a serious lack of fun riding time. All commuting makes Homer a something something :(

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Just bought my 1st bike!

It's a 2018 Honda Rebel 500 (CMX 500 in the EU). Her name is Morticia. It's totally rad riding a motorcycle, and the only thing I'm upset about is that I didn't start sooner!

I've added an MRA windshield to it since that picture was taken, but I don't have a photo of it, yet. It's cold and lovely here in the DC area, but I try to ride as much as I can.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The Sex Cannon posted:

Just bought my 1st bike!

It's a 2018 Honda Rebel 500 (CMX 500 in the EU). Her name is Morticia. It's totally rad riding a motorcycle, and the only thing I'm upset about is that I didn't start sooner!

I've added an MRA windshield to it since that picture was taken, but I don't have a photo of it, yet. It's cold and lovely here in the DC area, but I try to ride as much as I can.

Rock on, welcome to the party.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
naming bikes is cringe

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

naming bikes is cringe

:blastu: :redass: :blastu:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's a nice looking Rebel

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Whoa, WHOA, I had no idea that the modern Rebel had standard-placement footpegs. How are the ergonomics for your upper body? That seat looks really low.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
A family friend has a Rebel 500 and she absolutely loves it. It is a pretty nice bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Razzled posted:

naming bikes is cringe
What about naming the bike female names and then posting pics of the bike with part of the fairing removed with the comment "my girl is shy but likes to get dirty, here she is half naked"

"What about being a redditor" is what I'm asking

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Slide Hammer posted:

Whoa, WHOA, I had no idea that the modern Rebel had standard-placement footpegs. How are the ergonomics for your upper body? That seat looks really low.

Very comfortable. The seat is low, only 27". I'm 6'0", though, and I have yet to feel cramped after riding. Caveat being that I've only ridden for about an hour without interruptions so far. Check back with me in the summer when I've been on some longer rides!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What about naming the bike female names and then posting pics of the bike with part of the fairing removed with the comment "my girl is shy but likes to get dirty, here she is half naked"

I swear I'm not a redditor!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Congrats, the rebel 500 is a perfect first bike and you can ride the piss out of for decades. There are aftermarket pegs for every position in case you don't like the factory placement

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What about if your bike had a pussy and when you ride the bike you're loving the pussy

What about being Horny Man Travis

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Went to go look at what was supposed to be an '85 ZL900 Eliminator, but actually turned out to be an '86 ZL600. Still bought it because 1. It's a cruiser with a 10,500 RPM redline and 2. I got it stupid cheap. Like, 'buying my friend lunch to let me borrow his trailer was a significant portion of the money I just spent' cheap. Supposedly needed the carbs cleaned/rebuilt because it wouldn't stay running, got it home and turns out the vacuum line to the petcock was disconnected, and it just couldn't pull fuel down. Still gonna rebuild the carbs though, because I just got a set of JIS screwdrivers and I want to know what it's like to not strip every single screw when working on an old Japanese bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Unless the owner was paying you to take it away, you paid too much for that.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm not on your continent.

But I still got to ask, did you get the title?

Where is the seat?

How long has it been sitting?

Did you get it for free?

Did you pay more than the cheapest running bike on your local eBay/Craigslist/whatever?

How much did you spend in parts to get in running?

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Supradog posted:

I'm not on your continent.

But I still got to ask, did you get the title?

Where is the seat?

How long has it been sitting?

Did you get it for free?

Did you pay more than the cheapest running bike on your local eBay/Craigslist/whatever?

How much did you spend in parts to get in running?

It has a title! And all the parts to make it whole, including a spare seat.

Just took a gander again at the local listings and the only other bike available for what I paid for this ($150) is a Ninja 250 with a locked up motor and no title. If I had wanted something running and ready to ride, I'd probably have to spend $1200. I suppose I should have made it clear that I was after a project. I just wanted something to fiddle around with. If (when) this blows up, I can park it behind the shed and be content that I've had my fun turning a wrench on weekends.

And, no money spent to get it running beyond a can of carb cleaner and a spare piece of vacuum hose I had lying around, I found 4 carb rebuild kits at the bottom of the pile of parts it came with.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Then you actually got a good deal :)

Good on you!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fantastic photo, risky parking.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Fantastic photo, risky parking.

Yeah no poo poo, lovely tiny eurostand sank right into the ground :v:

it's in gear and wouldn't roll with a bump with me on it, good nuff

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why is it that the orange and affiliated bikes always have side stands that seem to have a completely inadequate angle to them? Like they're all crash-tweaked in the wrong direction, but from factory.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Seems like most Italian stands and even some German ones are like that. As if they never thought you'd really use them? Are Aprilia and Guzzi still using the auto-retract stands these days?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
add insult to injury the fucker bolts to the god damned engine case. I'll be making a proper stand welded to the frame this spring when it stops raining so much.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

add insult to injury the fucker bolts to the god damned engine case. I'll be making a proper stand welded to the frame this spring when it stops raining so much.

It's not bad enough the stand is weak/too short but hey, if you hit it just the right way it'll punch a hole in your case too! Pretty sure there are Ducatis like this - hell, my Multi's side stand may bolt to the case, I forget. Side effect of a trellis frame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's no excuse, nothing stopping them having a bracket between the stand and the engine case designed to fail first.